+468

I'm all for animal rights, but when people start to care for animals more than humans, somethings wrong, amirite?

13 80

You can have the same level of emotional attachment to an animal as you can to a human being.

@1208347

Two Words: Cow Farts.

@Two Words: Cow Farts.

Agreed. Cows farting is so malicious. They can definitely stop, and they just love to harm the environment.

@Two Words: Cow Farts.

Wouldn't be so much of a problem if greedy humans weren't over breeding them and clearing so much land.

@So you don't eat them and promote the over-breeding, right?

Why has everyone who's stood up for animals in these comments been asked if they're vegan/vegetarian? No I'm not a vegan/vegetarian I do eat meat (not a lot), although I do only buy organic/free range meat, eggs and milk from local producers that I know treat the animals ethically.

@1208347

You say they're innocent solely because they're animals. No other reason, but because they're furry, they're innocent.

I believe, no, I KNOW that all life is precious and worthy and beautiful. But if you had to shoot a person or a cow, I hope that you would agree when I say we should shoot the cow.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1208347

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Screw the puppies!

@1208347

Technically, if you're smarter or stronger than something or someone else, you are superior. Just throwing that out there.

animals > people

@animals > people

So... the family dog > your child

That's fucked up.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are +8Reply
@1208496

And what if it was a vicious rape of a 12 year old by a 35 year old? Look, I can make hypothetical situations that specifically fit my side of the argument too.

@1208496

If she was raped she was raped.
You're thinking of a pedophile.

@mchristie So... the family dog > your child That's fucked up.

well that's different, you CREATED your child, but say your dog died and a random child died, there nothing wrong with being more upset about your dog

I'm going more with what Chase said, ''family dog > rapist''. And I consider my dogs my children, so your argument is invalid.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are +1Reply
@mchristie I consider you irrational for giving birth to your dogs, so your argument is invalid.

I didn't say they ARE my children, I said I consider them to be. Like you would consider a close friend to be your brother/sister.

@animals > people

5 loves. That's what I get for going anon. Damn.

I started caring for animals more than humans after I seen a puppy that had it's paws chopped off and left for dead.

@I started caring for animals more than humans after I seen a puppy that had it's paws chopped off and left for dead.

I care for animals more than humans too, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason. I mean, the same kind of thing happens to humans.

@SEXY_BEAST I care for animals more than humans too, but that doesn't seem like a valid reason. I mean, the same kind of thing...

It's the fact that humans could do that to anyone/anything, that made me care for animals more than humanity.

@1208573

Actually, vegetarian.

What about the children who are raped, or the POWS who are beheaded? The humans who are beaten, tortured, and mercilessly bullied by others. You still don't care more for them than a dog that can show a limited set of intelligence and emotional capability?

REALLY? why do so many people think that somehow humans are superior to all other life forms

danilols avatar danilol No Way +12Reply
@danilol REALLY? why do so many people think that somehow humans are superior to all other life forms

Naturally, each species considers its own species as the most important. So it's perfectly acceptable for humans to view humans as superior.

@mchristie The FOOD CHAIN...?

i know but other animals are important too we're not the only ones on this earth

first i was going to explain why i feel more for animals, but then i realized i dont need to explain myself. i cant help that i feel more sympathy for a dead animal i didn't know than a dead person i didn't know. my friends tell me its sick, but who are they to question it?

@brunetterox915 first i was going to explain why i feel more for animals, but then i realized i dont need to explain myself. i cant...

Thats okay, but I think it's crazy how there are more people wearing "Save the Whale" t-shirts than "Save the starving child soldiers in Africa" Shirts.

sassypieanns avatar sassypieann Yeah You Are +6Reply

Who are you to decide? There is nothing wrong with that.

As a wildlife biologist I'm totes offended, bro. Anyways, animals have many human characteristics it's almost impossible not to feel an emotional connection to them. A mother will do anything to make sure her child survives just like humans. They care for them and protect them in every way. It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I am devoting my life for the conservation of animals. I will give up everything to help an animal whose mother was killed by poachers survive the wild again. There is nothing wrong with that. Maybe there is something wrong with you.

@1208427

I know. I was just saying that to prove that not all animal mothers will do anything for her child.

@I know. I was just saying that to prove that not all animal mothers will do anything for her child.

In those cases, it is very rarely the mother that eats the children. It is usually the father.

@In those cases, it is very rarely the mother that eats the children. It is usually the father.

(Other Anonymous): Usually though, the father will continue to compete with their children for survival. They will show dominance to young offspring and it is up to the mother to help them survive. In large species, you will notice that they produce less offspring but invest in more parental care, since they don't use up too much energy in having their child.

I could probably talk about this all day.

@Lots of animals eat their own children.

I'm assuming you don't know why. Animals eat their children when they know they will not be able to survive. Unlike humans, they cannot put animals up for adoption. It is occurs more often in animals that produce more offspring. Animals that produce less offspring have more energy to invest in protecting their young from predators.

@mchristie So u vegan?

You don't have to be a vegan to love animals.

@KaySeas You don't have to be a vegan to love animals.

"I will give up everything to help an animal whose mother was killed by poachers survive the wild again."

Do you think the cattle used for hamburgers were given the chance to live in the wild?

I'm fascinated with your "love" for animals, but you can't really say people are equal to or less than animals while implying a cute baby elephant has more rights than a chicken.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are 0Reply
@mchristie "I will give up everything to help an animal whose mother was killed by poachers survive the wild again." Do you...

This is always the argument people attack with. If I love animals so much, why do I let animals die for our consumption? Well, I am an omnivore, my teeth were structured in a way that allows me to eat both meat and plants. I should be allowed to eat meat without being criticized. Many places have to kill the animals in a humane way, yes people will not always do this but I have no control over that. The truth is, a species will become more important when its existence is on the brink of extinction. We eat chickens, cattle, fish, etc. because there is an abundance in these animals. We will continue to eat them, but their population will remain stable. However, killing elephants does more damage to their population, especially to the young who have lost their mother. You can go ahead and assume I am a bad person for consuming meat, but I am doing more than any vegan could.

@mchristie Seriously? There is an abundance because we BREED them for consumption...

Yes, that's true. We breed them for our consumption, and it's been done for centuries. Chickens and cattle are the main food source because the benefits outweigh the costs (economically speaking). These animals are easy to raise and fairly cheap. The chicken contains a lot of meat relative to its size and it's the food most people can afford. The chicken grows extremely quickly as well. There are many reasons these animals were chosen over others. It all goes back to economics.

@KaySeas Yes, that's true. We breed them for our consumption, and it's been done for centuries. Chickens and cattle are the...

So a pig can be chopped up for your consumption but not a rabbit because "it's been done for centuries"?

You have every right to love animals, but that's not what you do. You're self-righteous and hypocritical.

Perhaps one day you will experience actual pain in your life, hopefully you'll need to meet basic needs like food, and realize what an unrealistic bleeding heart poser you were ...or you know, die of starvation because you gave all your food (likely another animal) to a rabbit. Either way, the human race will be better off.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are -3Reply

The story of Christian the lion is probably the best at demonstrating the relationship between humans and every other animal on the phylogenetic tree.

Animals do not feel more for other species of animals than they do for their own species. They will not hesitate to harm another species if it ensures the survival of their own species. If humans are only animals why should we be any different?

@Animals do not feel more for other species of animals than they do for their own species. They will not hesitate to...

Well because we are not harming another species to ensure the survival of our species, we are mostly harming them for stupid reasons such as convenience or entertainment. Also, the argument that because they kill other animals we shouldn't feel bad killing them just doesn't work. Carnivores don't deserve to die because they kill other animals, they need to for both their own survival and the survival of the herbivores and all the other animals. We are really the only animals that kills for no real reason.

Animals can show such an absolute devotion to a person that it is simply astounding. A fancy rat is not even a 16th of our size, yet it can accept a human and give the same sort of affection it would another rat, not even paying any mind to the fact that it could be squashed in one second. That doesn’t make a lot of sense. Same with other rodents, birds, cats, etc. Maybe we couldn’t squash them per se, but we could certainly harm them if we wished. The relationships we can form with animals are more miraculous, for lack of a better word, than a relationship with another human. Humans we are able to use language, expression, body language... it is a lot harder with another species. Yet we manage to do it time and time again and often with ease. It creates an entirely different bond, which I guess you have to experience to understand why it is so appealing.
Fuck people, I prefer animals.

The life of any human is no more valuable than any other life. Your life is not more important than a dog, cat, or fly. Actually, in my opinion, humans lately have been proving the opposite. That being said, if it were my choice, I would choose to get rid of people if it meant that other animals could survive. No, that doesn't mean that if I had a kid I would "want them to die", it means that I would let man kind as a whole suffer before I would let any innocent species of animals suffer extinction. Sure I would be sad about it, but the same thing applies; no matter how much I love them, my child isn't more important than a whole species of animals. I find it sad that many people agree with this, you are basically saying that "an animal doesn't matter as much because they weren't lucky enough to be born human."

@Moosey The life of any human is no more valuable than any other life. Your life is not more important than a dog, cat, or...

"my child isn't more important than a whole species of animals"

So you're going to raise your child vegan?

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Grills_Bears For fucks sake woman! What is your problem with vegans?!

People have all the right in the world to say people=animals, but then I don't understand how they can eat animals and not people.

It's bullshit.

mchristies avatar mchristie Yeah You Are -1Reply
@mchristie People have all the right in the world to say people=animals, but then I don't understand how they can eat animals...

It is a FACT that humans are animals. We do not eat every animal species, and actually, yes, we can practice cannibalism, but it is morally wrong in our society--that's the only reason we don't do it (although some more separated cultures do) so shut the fuck up with your "vegan?" crap you ignorant little asshole. Your argument doesn't make any sense.

@mchristie "my child isn't more important than a whole species of animals" So you're going to raise your child vegan?

Other animals are carnivores too, that is the circle of life. Wiping out an entire species is not.

@1208676

For fucks sake, I'm barely an undergraduate Junior. I may not be an expert, but I'm not completely ignorant. Yes, some of the things I said might be wrong, but that's not the point. What I was trying to get by was the fact that you don't have to be a vegan to love animals. FUCK, this is why I hate people. I'm not responding anymore, I seriously have a lot of work to do since we have finals next week.

@1208868

Okay, whatever. Like I said, a couple of my statements are wrong. I'm aware there is overfishing, and I probably shouldn't have stated that there is an abundance in fish. The argument shouldn't have been about cattle and fish. I voiced my beliefs on the connection between humans and animals. I wasn't expecting an argument, especially after "you don't have to be vegan to love animals." I don't argue, I hate arguing.

The whole point is, you don't have to be a vegan to love animals. That is all I'm going to say. I will not continue to comment on this post any longer.

There's no dogs in Space.

Because we have higher cognitive functions?

All forms of life are special and precious. I think the poster is just saying if either a cow or a human had to die, he would choose the cow. Not spiritually, but politically, it's sensible. It's not sensitive, but logically speaking the most that cow could produce for society is a hamburger and milk. The human is intelligent, has family, and is more likely to inspire members of its community.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are 0Reply

FLAME WAR, FLAME WAR, FLAME WAR

So plants are better than animals, right?

Humans fucking suck.

A humans life is no more precious than any other animal. It is not our intelligence that make our lives valuable but our feelings and emotions, which all animals share. Also, you can have as wonderful a relationship with an animal as with a human.

Last week, this girl in my class said "experiencing the death of your dog is way sadder than the death of any human" and everyone agreed, including my teacher...wtf?

beaner53s avatar beaner53 Yeah You Are -7Reply
@beaner53 Last week, this girl in my class said "experiencing the death of your dog is way sadder than the death of any...

The "any" part is the only thing I see wrong in that statement. If something that is part of my life (ie Dog) dies, I'm going to be more upset than if someone I hardly knew passed away. People are dying all over the world right now; how are you reacting to this? You probably don't even bat an eye at it. If your pet were to die right now, you would be more affected. That is how it works. Of course, if my mother died that would hurt me more than if my dog died. It is all about level of attachment.