+373

Legally if a man can go topless a woman can too. In the 1990's 10 women sued the state of Florida for discrimination. The case went to the state Supreme Court and they were awarded $3.1 million each for false arrest and discrimination.. Why didn't this catch on, amirite?

morgunbattlezs avatar
9 33
The voters have decided that morgunbattlez is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Legally yes. But would you really want a bunch of senile old ladies running around topless with their boobs down to their belly buttons? How about when a topless supermodel walks by on your way to a business meeting, blue balls much?

Paper_Clips avatar Paper_Clip Yeah You Are +28Reply
@Paper_Clip Legally yes. But would you really want a bunch of senile old ladies running around topless with their boobs down to...

But once a lot of women do it, it would become normal. Men may end up thinking nothing of it by then.

The_Chosen_Ones avatar The_Chosen_One Yeah You Are +2Reply
@The_Chosen_One But once a lot of women do it, it would become normal. Men may end up thinking nothing of it by then.

I don't think that would ever become normal, there's too many self conscious people out there, it would never turn into the majority that do it. Even if somehow it did, it would take decades to be considered normal, almost anything can be considered normal with time, it doesn't mean we should all shave our heads because we have the legal right to. There's no real need to. Just like there's no need to rid ourselves of bras and shirts. If men were to be no longer attracted to boobs, i'd be in a shit load of trouble, because my boobs are one of my greatest assets.

Paper_Clips avatar Paper_Clip Yeah You Are +3Reply

takes off shirt and continues walking through Target

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around topless. I would hate having men just stare at my chest all day, especially creepy old men. Also, you couldn't jump around or anything or you'll have nasty saggy jboobs when you're older and it hurts like fuck. And what if you're flat? Or obese? Then you wouldn't want to have it all hang out and people would think you were weird for wearing a top to the beach. Not fun.

I don't see why it counts as discrimination. Men and women, believe it or not, are different. I think there needs to be a "common sense clause" to the constitution. (I am not into politics, so I will brace for impact)

@Joe_Larson I don't see why it counts as discrimination. Men and women, believe it or not, are different. I think there needs...

Not to go all feminist or Something on you, but, What's really is the difference between Men and Woman topless? Clumps of Fat? By that common sense, every man with 'Moobs' should be forced to wear a shirt all the time, by law.

Moonfang66s avatar Moonfang66 Yeah You Are +11Reply
@NiceBoulder Genetic instinct, actually.

Even so, Humans are so complex yet we can't get over instinct? We've gotten over lot of other instinctual stuff

Moonfang66s avatar Moonfang66 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Moonfang66 Even so, Humans are so complex yet we can't get over instinct? We've gotten over lot of other instinctual stuff

It's really freaking hard to get over one of the few instincts involved with furthering the human species.

@Moonfang66 Not to go all feminist or Something on you, but, What's really is the difference between Men and Woman topless?...

The bottom line is that boobs are technically genetalia. The law states genetalia cannot be shown, because it's indecent. Men's chests are not genetalia, their nipples are just useless growths.

They are different, but what's the difference between say, a really fat guy, and a girl with smallish breasts? Appearance wise, it'd be kinda the same, right?

And either way, what makes one more publicly acceptable than the other?

Rainbow35s avatar Rainbow35 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Rainbow35 They are different, but what's the difference between say, a really fat guy, and a girl with smallish breasts?...

Somehow, guys are attracted to girls' breasts but not guys' breasts (most of the time). A topless girl would be kind of like a bottomless guy; it's just indecent. Guys have 1 sexually profound area, and girls have 2. They just need to live with it

@Girls are attracted to some guy's chests, yet they don't have to wear shirts.

That's a great point. I totally stare at random guy's abs when I'm at the pool. When you wear sun glasses nobody can tell where you are looking. ;)

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +3Reply

A woman being shirtless isn't the same as a man being shirtless. Breasts don't have sexual appeal because they're hidden, they have sexual appeal because the human race has evolved for women to have breasts and men to be sexually attracted to them. Equal rights doesn't mean equal anatomies.

I think that it should be allowed but I don't think that a lot of women would walk around without any shirts. Men would probably make rude comments and it just seems that it wouldn't work out but I still agree with you.

Since when do men walk around the town topless?

highdeas?

It's legal in my city... But then again, you only have to have your genitals covered, which leads to hippies wearing thongs.

But if you're topless, then you're not wearing a bra, and then if you try to do anything but walk, it hurts.

Society is doomed. I don't think guys understand the potential consequences of the "Topfree" movement catching on. What happens when breasts become so commonplace that men are no longer sexually attracted to them? Or what about all the disgusting people you'll have to see?

@There are lots of disgusting men who don't wear shirts that people have to see now.

But they wear pants. Mens' chests are not sexual objects, like womens' chests are.

@pantherfanatic But they wear pants. Mens' chests are not sexual objects, like womens' chests are.

Lots of women are sexually attracted to men's chests... And in many cultures throughout history it was normal that women had bare chests, North America, Africa, Australia and the Pacific Islands until Christian missionaries came (some places it still is normal). Also in lots of Middle eastern and Asian cultures before Muslim expansion (like Bali, India and Egypt). Thailand it was normal until westernised dress became most common.
In Holland women can sunbathe topless in parks and a lot do, and in other European countries topless beaches are very common.
It does mostly have to do with cultural and social upbringing what we find acceptable. Kinda like how in western culture women wear skirts, and find it weird when men do. But in other cultures men wear skirts and no one thinks it's any different.

@Lots of women are sexually attracted to men's chests... And in many cultures throughout history it was normal that...

I didn't refute that it was a cultural aspect. But at this point in our culture, womens' breasts are sexual objects. It makes no sense for women to start going around topless.

@pantherfanatic I didn't refute that it was a cultural aspect. But at this point in our culture, womens' breasts are sexual...

I know you didn't, just giving some more information. The Netherlands used to be really conservative until the 70's and they didn't have much trouble making the transition. I agree that women just shouldn't start going around topless, but I think it should be decriminalised.

It's not about descrimination, it is about public idecency. It would be just as bad as wearing assless chaps instead of pants, it just isn't done.

If you want to walk around topless, you might as well move to a nudist colony where you can show the rest of your body off

Boobs should be considered part of the female genitalia and if shown in public, should be considered indecent exposure. Unless of course you are in an area where the culture is different (aka europe where they have all those nude beaches)