+189

To be honest, if I could take away Homosexuality from the world. I would. I don't just mean taking away people acting on it, or accepting it. I mean taking away the feeling all together, taking away the thought that it even existed. Simply because there are too many people in the world that fear coming out. Or are insulted, hurt, and abused, for their sexuality, Amirite?

6 43

Hmm. This is one of the most interesting ideas I've seen on this site.
But if you have the power to eliminate the idea of homosexuality, why not eliminate the idea of hatred instead?

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +32Reply

I honestly think that it would be done with good intentions, but that is taking away something that makes people individuals. I would not do it, but I wholeheartedly agree with wanting the hate and discrimination to end, that is the only reason I said no way.

@JadedPlatypus I honestly think that it would be done with good intentions, but that is taking away something that makes people...

I would take away dwarfism, but then you might argue that little people are defined by their dwarfism.

This is the equivalent of me living in the 60's and saying "I would take away people being black because then they wouldn't have to be discriminated against." Eventually people will learn to accept homosexuality, just as we've all grown up accepting all races into our society. You shouldn't eliminate something just because a few ignorant people don't like it.

@brunetterox915 This is the equivalent of me living in the 60's and saying "I would take away people being black because then they...

Even racism isn't gone though and it may not ever be completely gone. I know a girl who said her dad and brother dug a hole in the back yard in case she ever decided to date a black guy.
Society as a whole will probably never fully accept homosexuality.

@Statefarm Even racism isn't gone though and it may not ever be completely gone. I know a girl who said her dad and brother...

I'm not saying racism is completely eradicated, and you're right, it probably never will be. But we've come a long, long, long way from the way things used to be. This will be no different. You just have to give it time. It seems as if society always needs a group to hate.

@brunetterox915 I'm not saying racism is completely eradicated, and you're right, it probably never will be. But we've come a long...

I had a psychology teacher who brought this up. He said that homosexuals are the only group that it's still ok to hate (to some degree) and people are holding on to it with an iron grip. What makes it so hard to change is that they get to say "well it's my religious belief" and we have to back off because we can't challenge one person on their religion without pissing off many more people who otherwise wouldn't have been fighting with us.

The way I see it, “We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." - Jonathan Swift

Yah, There will always be people who hate a specific group because they were raised to. Racism as a whole is widely condemned, with only small groups like the KKK left enforcing the belief. One day homosexuality will be more accepted and it will probably be the Westboro Baptist Church that never lets it go and keeps their radical belief system alive by keeping it in the family like they already are.

Why not just eliminate hate and stuff? I wouldn't want to live in a world where I didn't have my girlfriend as my girlfriend.

@pikabeau Why not just eliminate hate and stuff? I wouldn't want to live in a world where I didn't have my girlfriend as my...

But you wouldn't ever know she could be your girlfriend.
you would be happy with a guy.

Freds avatar Fred Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Fred But you wouldn't ever know she could be your girlfriend. you would be happy with a guy.

But if there was no hate I could have my girlfriend, be happy, and no one would care. If there was no gay people I wouldn't know any better, but there are gay people so I do know better. I get that this is a "what if?" type thing, but I think it might be the wrong what if.

Freds avatar Fred Yeah You Are 0Reply
@pikabeau But if there was no hate I could have my girlfriend, be happy, and no one would care. If there was no gay people I...

Most people don't hate gays. People are mostly just a bit uncomfortable around gays. This refers to people who have any sort of negative feeling towards gays, and it usually stops at discomfort. If you eliminate all negative feeling, we would live in a very boring world without a lot of laws, because no one wants anyone else to have a punishment etc.

@B10ckH34d Most people don't hate gays. People are mostly just a bit uncomfortable around gays. This refers to people who have...

I can understand discomfort. I feel uncomfortable around people with excessive amounts of facial piercings. But it's not discomfort that makes laws.

We could say that would be nice, as if the thought doesn't even exist. But humans often act on hatred. If we took away homophobia, there would be sexism. If we took away racism, there would be people discriminating against those with brown hair or blue eyes or anything. If we took away that, so everyone was the same sexuality, race, and same hair and eye color, what is left to make us individuals? No one would be special. So is a perfect world without hate really that perfect? Would we start making fun of those with certain shoe sizes? In a perfect world we all be completely identical? No, that can't be. A perfect world has everyone as they are supposed to be, the beautiful individuals they are. A perfect world has no hate, just love, right? The human race can really be a beautiful thing if you look at it right, but really the hatred is there, too. I would take away hatred, not sexuality. However, there is no good without bad. So then what? Everyone is just average? There is no such thing as a perfect world, in my opinion. Just a pretty good one with some smudges.

@Galileo This reminds of the book The Giver.

I love that book. The way I wrote this is very unlike me, but I guess it's a topic I enjoy. I go all philosopher/author when I'm interested.

I think it'd be better to get rid of heterosexism than homosexuality. I kind of interpretted this to mean that one day homosexuality would just vanish and everyone would be heterosexual - if you did that, think of how many homosexual couples you'd be breaking up. Even if they don't remember why they were even together. Anyone who's out of the closet has already, apparently, thought it was better to be open and hated than not. (With the exception of ones outed by others.)

People will always find something to hate, like MacaroniSalad said above. If everyone was the same race, gender, religion (or lack thereof), etc, people would find things to hate on like height, weight, eye colour, sound of voice... SOMETHING. It's better to let people be different, and the haters will gradually come around (compared to most of civilised history, we're more accepting now than before).

This kinda reminds me about the post about making everyone the same colour/race, to eliminate racism.

This actually made me think. If it was possible, would I support it?

@Simon This kinda reminds me about the post about making everyone the same colour/race, to eliminate racism. This...

That makes me think of that episode of Fairly Oddparents when Timmy wished everyone looked exactly the same.

In case you didn't see the episode: people were still assholes.

The point is, if there is no race, those who hate would find something else to discriminate against.

Or we could just, you know, make everyone exactly the same so no one could be discriminated against ever.

sansas avatar sansa No Way +3Reply

Let's just make the world plain, everyone the same, so nobody gets hurt and nobody is different. Sounds splendid!

Being gay is a challenge for many homosexuals but there has already been huge progress in society's acceptance of gays, and there are even lucky fags like me who grew up in gay-accepting cities and schools, had a great time coming out to their friends, and are happy being gay. As for the gays who still grow up in challenging environments, I hope they all know that their suffering is exposing the bigotry of those around them, and someday not too far off those people will illicit shock in the future students of history, much like slave owners from the 1800s do to us today. I'm not a religious person but I do believe in the everlasting power of memes, and someday the suffering gays of today will be vindicated, and there's a good chance they'll be around to enjoy it.

If you take away homosexuality, people would find someone else to hate and those people would go through the same challenges. You can continue destroying everything that is a challenge for people to get through, or you can let nature run its ugly course and allow genuine progress to be made. So for now I think I disagree.

tl;dr: without gays there would be no this: YouTube video thumbnail

I'm not even homosexual, and this hurt me.
Like imagine hearing heterosexual love should just be taken away.

I think the world would be a lovely place if everyone would accept Homosexuality.
But, When I say take away the entire thought of it. I do mean that. It would never happen. Ever. I know that's is impossible though. And in this hypothetical world, they wouldn't stop being who they are, because they never would have been.

@I think the world would be a lovely place if everyone would accept Homosexuality. But, When I say take away the...

So would you turn everyone on the planet into white males? After all that is the least discriminated against group in the world. Why just homosexuality?

ejayes avatar ejaye No Way +6Reply

The world would definitely be a better place without homosexuality considering that all those who would be homosexual wouldn't have to deal with all the problems of coming out, etc, and the disagreements would stop. However, how would I be able to survive in life without lesbian porn!?

I'd agree. Cause it sucks liking someone who can't like you back

livelovemusic12s avatar livelovemusic12 Yeah You Are +1Reply

So you're saying people should stop being for who they choose to be? Even it didn't exist anymore, it would come back. I'm not saying I'm homosexual but I have a friend who is, openly. And he is very proud of himself. Not saying I disagree with you on the other half of your post though.

HITLER wanted to create a "perfect" race. Blonde hair and blue eyes. Which I happen to have. However, I'm also a lesbian. That makes me defective. If eliminating the thought of homosexuality, or other religions, or other skin or hair or eye colors would make things easier, then that sounds to me like you think Hitler was right.

@HITLER wanted to create a "perfect" race. Blonde hair and blue eyes. Which I happen to have. However, I'm also a...

Hitler wanted to end certain races because he believed some people were better than others. I don't think that, I think that life would be a whole lot easier if people weren't getting made fun of and picked on until they killed themselves just because they love the same gender.

Freds avatar Fred Yeah You Are +1Reply

Would you take away black people?

@1702624

No religion says you should hate gays. Almost no religions say you should hate anyone. Just because some religions may not support homosexuality doesn't mean that they are told to hate them. That is only certain people who obviously are not educated enough about their own religion or who just want an excuse to hate on nice people.

@1702624

Ohhh okay I get it. I didn't think that through, sorry, and I didn't mean to be rude or anything:)