+760

These days, If two teenagers fell in love at a party, got married the next day, then killed themselves for eachother, people wouldn't classify it as a romantic love story, amirite?

Montanas avatar Books
21 40
The voters have decided that Montana is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1212492

But a lot of people view it as a romance.

AnnDeevas avatar AnnDeeva Yeah You Are +18Reply
@1213753

I'm not saying I personally think it's a romantic story, I just mean a lot of people nowadays do... ex. the song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift makes it seem like it's a romantic story.

AnnDeevas avatar AnnDeeva Yeah You Are +23Reply

Yet they consider twilight genius...

might I say it's fictional. . . ?

@HC210 might I say it's fictional. . . ?

Just because something is fictional doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

@528491 Just because something is fictional doesn't mean it's unrealistic.

wasn't going for realistic, might you know the difference between fictional and non fictional? No, apparently you don't.
Fiction is a work of the imagination or invention, which contrasts with non-fiction (which is usually thought to be based on facts). Written works like novels, short stories, plays, and poems are fictional.

@HC210 wasn't going for realistic, might you know the difference between fictional and non fictional? No, apparently you...

Well if you weren't going for realistic then what was the purpose of you comment "might I say it's fictional. . . ?
"?

Because it sounds to me that you think fiction excuses a work of literature from being reasonable.

@528491 Well if you weren't going for realistic then what was the purpose of you comment "might I say it's fictional...

mmhhmm. . . I don't think you have grasped what you've just done. Did you read the definition of fiction that I provided? You have made a fool of yourself. You don't do well in your English courses do you.
I find many fictional books reasonable, Romeo & Juliet is one of them.
I didn't say that Romeo & Juliet was not reasonable. I said it was a work of fiction. FICTION.
Do I need to explain more? If so, I have my entire life to keep at this. I love when people don't agree with me, gives me a chance to educate! I love teaching people :)

@HC210 mmhhmm. . . I don't think you have grasped what you've just done. Did you read the definition of fiction that I...

I get that you said it's fiction, my question(that you still didn't answer) is "What's your point?". You keep saying it's fiction but so what? what are you getting at?

And by the way I do just fine in English, and being able to spout off the definition of fiction doesn't mean you do.

@528491 I get that you said it's fiction, my question(that you still didn't answer) is "What's your point?". You keep...

Oh, good to to know.
My point about my first comment "might I say it's fictional. . . ?" is what happened in the play was made up- it never happened in history.
Give me a true story that played out exactly like the drama when/before Shakespeare wrote it, or after it for that matter (if after- the occurence was probably influenced upon reading the play) For all I know it might have happened in real life, without anyone actually knowing about it. A paradox.

and might I add, you never asked me question beforehand. If so, I must have lost it in our witty banter :)

@NiceBoulder "You don't do well in your English class, do you?"

I'm sorry.... were you tryining to quote me? Or direct the statement at me?

If Quote: Apparently, you cannot read or even mimic correctly. Copy and paste always does the trick. "You don't do well in your English courses do you." is the correct phrase that I used. Note that I didn't question, but assumed.

If Statement: I'm well above average when it comes to English. If you're mocking the lack of comma in my correct quote, I am happy to inform you that every human makes a grammatical error now and then. Thank you, for being so kind as to ask me about my educational well-being.

Sincerely, Either way. . . your comment backfired ;)

P.S. This is very amusing for me and if the above is not what you meant, please inform me as to the purpose of your comment.

@HC210 I'm sorry.... were you tryining to quote me? Or direct the statement at me? If Quote: Apparently, you cannot read...

Very few humans make mistakes as major as that on accident. Besides, I was also "mocking" the lack of a question mark. It's a question.

@NiceBoulder Very few humans make mistakes as major as that on accident. Besides, I was also "mocking" the lack of a question...

Reread the Section "If Quote" If you did read it please note the last sentence, and I quote, "Note that I didn't question, but assumed."
I intentionally did not add a question mark because I directed it as a statement.
Also, I am positive that more than half of the people on amirite don't know how to use a comma properly. This is sad, no? ( hey look! a question mark!)

@HC210 Reread the Section "If Quote" If you did read it please note the last sentence, and I quote, "Note that I didn't...

The sentence structure of what you said doesn't really work as both a statement (assumption, as you will have it) AND a question.

Quite frankly it is a happy ending. The two families stopped feuding and learned a powerful lesson. All it took was the deaths of their beloved children. See? Happy!

In all fairness, Shakespeare didn't write with the intention of making it a romance. People today just take it as that because they've been misguided. If schools taught more in depth abouth shakespeare then we would know that Romeo and Juliet is actually a tragedy with satire thrown in. Anyone watching the play back then would know that Shakespeare was making a point about society by portraying the extremeties of human behavior.

LoanSharks avatar LoanShark Yeah You Are 0Reply

OMG THAT IS LIKE THE CUTEST STORY EVAH!!!!!!

Yummys_iz_1337s avatar Yummys_iz_1337 Yeah You Are 0Reply

lol. i just finished reading romeo and juliet for english today. xDDD

K4T13s avatar K4T13 No Way -2Reply

on another note, Romeo & Juliet is both a Tradgedy and Comedy. You just have to be fluent in shakespearean humour.

@1213800

It was satirical, though. Black comedy, Elizabethan form. Of course misinterpreted as a romance by many.

PirateQueens avatar PirateQueen Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1213800

depends on the viewer. Sadistic people probably laugh at every scene in which pain erupts. If you're the typical girlygirl you'll find it heart wrenching.
Everything in life is based on opinion- whether it be insane or not.

@HC210 depends on the viewer. Sadistic people probably laugh at every scene in which pain erupts. If you're the typical...

That isn't a valid argument. Using your logic a comedy movie is both a comedy and a tragedy because somebody watching who find seeing people do funny things tragic is going to find it horrible and tragic. You can't class a piece of work based on how a very small minority of viewers will relate to it.
That being said, I agree that Romeo and Juliet is both a tragedy and at least a satire, but that doesn't mean any tragic movie is also a comedy.

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Courage_Wolf That isn't a valid argument. Using your logic a comedy movie is both a comedy and a tragedy because somebody...

mmhhmm. The first part of your comment needs to be reworded so that I can actually understand it in an actual english sentence.
I wasn't classifying the work and I wasn't calling every tragic movie a comedy.
Also, what form of "valid" are you using?
Choose either of them-I don't mind.
1. Truth.
2. Producing the desired result .
3. Having force.
4. legally acceptable

MY ANSWER
1. it's true to me
2.I feel that my statement produced a result I feel fine with
3. I found it forceful (people seem to be really mad at my opinions and always give a response)
4. Legal? I'm sorry, but I am pretty confident that there is no law stating that Romeo &Juliet IS a tragedy, or ISN'T a comedy.

Capisce?

@HC210 mmhhmm. The first part of your comment needs to be reworded so that I can actually understand it in an actual...

I was using it in the 4th sense. I don't disagree with you that Romeo and Juliet is both a comedy and a tragedy. I do disagree with your justifications for it.
Also, saying you weren't classifying the work when your first comment states it is both a comedy and a tragedy confuses me.

@Courage_Wolf I was using it in the 4th sense. I don't disagree with you that Romeo and Juliet is both a comedy and a tragedy. I...

my bad, I should have said it was my opinion that it is both a tragedy and comedy. I didn't mean it as a factual statement.
I accept and respect that you don't agree with my justifications. Everyone has the right to their opinion, some people don't understand this idea. And do not acknowledge this.

@HC210 my bad, I should have said it was my opinion that it is both a tragedy and comedy. I didn't mean it as a factual...

I have said many times I agree with your opinion, just not your justifications. Why do you keep on acting like I am saying you don't have a right to an opinion?

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Courage_Wolf I have said many times I agree with your opinion, just not your justifications. Why do you keep on acting like I am...

I hadn't noticed the positives within the other million negatives. My stubborness got the best of me. The last statement was about all the negative commentators. I've just been attacked on my opinions, and I have felt the need to defend myself and beliefs. Often, this leads to me being rude- witty or plain impractical.

@HC210 on another note, Romeo & Juliet is both a Tradgedy and Comedy. You just have to be fluent in shakespearean humour.

Shakespearean comedies always end in marriage. Tragedies end in death. You don't even see the marriage scene in R&J.

@Shakespearean comedies always end in marriage. Tragedies end in death. You don't even see the marriage scene in R&J.

this is where I counter with the ever popular ,I believe, that it is a piece of work that can be interpreted in any way. HENCE opinion. Just as you believe "Shakespearean comedies always end in marriage. Tragedies end in death. You don't even see the marriage scene in R&J"

Shakespeare comedies end with a happy ending- not "always" a marriage. Thought I would correct you on that note.

@HC210 this is where I counter with the ever popular ,I believe, that it is a piece of work that can be interpreted in...

There isn't always an actual wedding ceremony, but the main lovers get together at the end of comedies, and it's implied that they're going to be married "after the end", if you will.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +1Reply

It's Shakespeare's time, comedy was different from what comedy is to us today. A comedy meant that it was slapstick funny and there was a wedding at the end. A tragedy meant that it was serious, people died, and there was a funeral at the end.

Personally, I find Romeo & Juliet to be funny, because they're such obnoxious people and the way they died was just so absurd, but it's a tragedy in the Shakespearean sense.

It's not both. Basically
comedy= happy ending
tragedy=bad ending

Now which do you think Romeo and Juliet had?