+505

The story of the Ugly Duckling - teaching kids that if your ugly or weird, you WILL be shunned, since 1843. Amirite?

Picklejars avatar Jokes & Humour
12 9
The voters have decided that Picklejar is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The story of the ugly barnacle, teaching 21st century kids that if you're SO ugly, everyone dies...

Until you become beautiful. Then everyone will adore you.

Grilled_Cheesuss avatar Grilled_Cheesus Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Indeed.

Yeah, so maybe: getting that nose job = becoming a swan.

It's "you're," and I am shunning you.

Or, if not being taken so literally, it could teach kids that their differences (ie, Not looking like a duckling like the actual ducklings) might actually become something that make them special and that there are other people that are similar to them (grows up as a swan, not a duck, finds other swans). The things about yourself that you once hated can become one of the things that you love the most about you, because in the end he was happy being a swan.
Many stories can have messed up lessons if you take them as literally as possible. Look deeper and you'll find something better.

@Or, if not being taken so literally, it could teach kids that their differences (ie, Not looking like a duckling...

True but this post is just a post for fun and makes us look at the iceberg of the story, the op probably knows this already..

@rowie1311 True but this post is just a post for fun and makes us look at the iceberg of the story, the op probably knows this...

Well, I'm HOPING the OP knows this, but many people actually don't. All I'm stating is that it DOES have deeper meaning which many people don't see because they only see what the OP said. I understand it was a joke, but that doesn't mean I can't point out that there is a deeper meaning within it and that many stories have "bad/stupid" lessons if you just scrape the top of the barrel.

Wow, really? People are still obsessing over this? You're missing the point of a story that a damn five-year-old would get.