+159

What if ideas are finite? There can only be so many ideas in the world. Eventually we'll have to hit an idea capacity, where every idea has been thought of, and every idea thought of after that has been thought by someone else already, amirite?

OptimusReims avatar
5 19
The voters have decided that OptimusReim is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That's a pretty scary thought

pk88fans avatar pk88fan Yeah You Are +17Reply

If there is a finite number of ideas, then it's a fucking massive number, humanity will die out before we've thought of every single idea ever.

But everything is always changing, people's lives are so different. And so what if an idea comes more than once? There can be more than one person with an idea. Maybe only one will put it into action. You can never really know. And if ideas are finate, so is the universe, and if that's the case, I'm pretty sure the universe will go out before the ideas.

Since ideas build off each other I don't think we can run out. All we need is one new thought and hundreds will follow that are also new

I don't really care if my ideas have been thought before or not. And while different people can have the same ideas, each person has a unique perspective on life which no one else can every duplicate. That is good enough for me

It's such a massive amount of things that it will take an unpronounceable number's worth of years for that day to come and even when it does I don't think it will matter as people themselves won't ever be able to hold all of that information so we can all live and learn the same way as we always have.

Runys avatar Runy No Way +2Reply

That's trippy...

ConnorABrowns avatar ConnorABrown Yeah You Are +1Reply

There's a legitimate belief for this, but for the life of me I can't remember what it's called.

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are +1Reply

That's actually impossible. As long as there is an infinite number system and other systems, there is technically an infinite amount of ideas. I can think to make a laptop come in blue and red, and billions of colors in between. I can think to make it 4-core, 6-core, 12-core, and while unfeasible, one trillion-core. It's an idea nonetheless. And that's just one miniscule aspect of life.

Teks avatar Tek No Way +1Reply
@Tek That's actually impossible. As long as there is an infinite number system and other systems, there is technically...

But it is possible, if humanity survives long enough, to run out of truely unique ideas. Picture how many thoughts you have in a day. Plus all of the other people in the world. Over millions of years. Yes, it is unlikely that every idea will get thought of, but it is completely possible.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Wunderscore But it is possible, if humanity survives long enough, to run out of truely unique ideas. Picture how many thoughts...

Well yes, most definitely unique ideas, but that was my argument because "unique" wasn't specified in the actual post.

Teks avatar Tek No Way 0Reply

I like to eat unicorn placenta while vacationing in Thailand on Monday mornings.

My dad always says that new ideas are just well-forgotten old ones.
But I would have to disagree with you. Ideas are reflections of human wants, which are limitless. Resources are scarce, yes. But ideas are limitless.

And then comes lady gaga.