-129

The United States were right to drop the atomic bombs on Japan during WWII, amirite?

Tampa951s avatar Relationships
2 52
The voters have decided that Tampa951 is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The United States made so many Purple Heart medals (the medals given to wounded soldiers) in anticipation of the invasion of the Japanese homeland that they didn't have to make any more throughout the Korean war and well into the war in Vietnam. Think of what those bombs saved.

heethebobos avatar heethebobo Yeah You Are +21Reply
@heethebobo The United States made so many Purple Heart medals (the medals given to wounded soldiers) in anticipation of the...

(bthehobo):I'm sorry...what that bomb SAVED? How about the hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese civilians were killed and how many generations after that were born with deformations and retardations. Yeah, you saved alright! I understand there would have been more deaths via an invasion but for God sakes man word your statement carefully!

Chipss avatar Chips No Way -4Reply
@Chips (bthehobo):I'm sorry...what that bomb SAVED? How about the hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese civilians...

Technically the bombs did save if they prevented an invasion. They didn't save EVERYBODY, but they still saved some.

I can't believe this is being "No Wayed.".

The people of amirite are such hippies. Of course the US was right. When it comes to things like war, the only right things to do are the things that are least wrong. Bombing Japan saved more lives in the long run and ended a terrible war. Doing nothing would have just prolonged the war. Yes, bombing killed people, but in war you gotta think about the greater good of the world, not just the innocent people of one country.

bunch of stupid ignorant liberals voting "no way"... the japanese were teaching KIDS to kill.. thats how determined they were to not surrender. the US gave them more than one warning about the atomic bombing, (to which they did NOT respond) so yeah, the us was right to drop those bombs

skittls avatar skittl Yeah You Are +15Reply

I think they should have shown the Japanese army what the Atomic bomb could do by demonstrating it on a deserted island first. The threat might have made the Japanese surrender without anyone actually dying. It would have been worth a try.

Adolf__Hitlers avatar Adolf__Hitler Yeah You Are +40Reply
@fEMMAnist I think they should have shown the Japanese army what the Atomic bomb could do by demonstrating it on a deserted...

yes, the americans were already testing the bombs in deserts, and according to my AP US History teacher, japanese officials were invited to witness bomb testings in the west first hand, but they declined on the offer not wanting to dilly dally in what they felt was american science fiction, or maybe they just didn't care enough to watch the testings

@_Jojo_ yes, the americans were already testing the bombs in deserts, and according to my AP US History teacher, japanese...

The Japanese didn't come because they were to busy gaining resources and materials by conquering parts of japan

Actually they did. They tested it in the desert near Los Alamos, as a public test for exactly that purpose.

LOL the top generals in the Japanese military still wanted to continue. They only surrendered when the emperor they revered as a god on earth told them to stop their madness.

Frozens avatar Frozen Yeah You Are +1Reply

This is probably your homework assignment. I would say they were justified, but when you're looking at right and wrong, it's all relative. If America kept up the war, then US would have had more casualties, by bombing the fuck out of Japan, Americans lives were saved. Japan was asking for it by attacking Pearl Harbour and not giving up after Hiroshima was fucked in the ass. Also, after U.S. told them to give up, the Japanese went to Stalin looking for help. Had U.S. not ended the war, Japan would have probably been another communist country under the influence of Stalin. Also the Japanese were doing as much damage as they could to American civilians, if they had the atomic bomb, they would have used it against us.

KickAsss avatar KickAss Yeah You Are +11Reply

I don't think you can really decide whether something like that was right or wrong. Was it terrible? Yes. Was it necessary? Yes. But the whole right/wrong thing isn't something we can judge.

There's no right or wrong in war.

When I read this, I clicked the comments prepared to go to war with whoever no wayed. But, it appears that all who no wayed don't have an argument and/or are not well enough informed to make valid points.
War sucks. War is ugly. But, in war you play to win. The nucs were dropped to win. Plain and simple.

haleyhsfs avatar haleyhsf Yeah You Are +8Reply

Ahh I had to write an essay on this.

First off, I'm in no way saying I disagree with the post. I think the bombing was needed. Just gonna get that out there.

But what bothers me is how people can throw around 'right and wrong' so easily. The US was practical in bombing Japan. But right? That's a matter of perspective. On a macroscopic scale, sure. In the long-run, yeah, the US saved a ton of lives. But those families in Japan who lost a kid or a parent or their own life even if totally innocent -- they aren't gonna give a fuck about our morals or who "could've" died.

And I guess that's the sorrow in war, how it warps sense of 'right and wrong' into 'what needs to be done to save the most lives.' It's easy to read off numbers and lists of names, but it's not so easy to imagine each individual person, and those lives that were decided to be less of value simply because on the grand scale, they just didn't matter as much as the quantity of lives saved.

another ignorant person who knows nothing about the war. The USA were going to invade Japan, and millions of japanese and american citizens and soldiers would have died. Emperor Hirohito told the japanese to never surrender and fight to the death, the atomic bomb killed around 200,000 people, million more would have died if the USA invaded and the war would have continued.

If the bombs weren't dropped, I probably won't be here right now.

My grandparents were in Tokyo during its firebombing. They had several close calls. Both of them agreed on the US's decision. Sure it was wrong, but in the end, more people would have died in the invasion.

War sucks; get used to it. People like killing each other, and its not going to stop anytime soon.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +3Reply

Here's an analogy: If there was a gang war between two gangs, in which you had no involvement in nor wanted any involvement, and one gang beats up your little sibling, what would you do? Ignore it like you don't care about your sibling, or go back and beat the hell out of those who beat up your sibling? I think we know what you would all do.

@Here's an analogy: If there was a gang war between two gangs, in which you had no involvement in nor wanted any...

Except the U.S. did instigate Japan by putting an embargo on them beforehand, thus cutting them off from one of their major suppliers of resources

Why is this under the category 'Love'? hah

How in the hell does this get 300+ no ways?

CPFC_Peavlers avatar CPFC_Peavler Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think using the bombs was justified in some ways. Before the bombs were dropped, Japan had already run out of airplane fuel. They were sending their pilots on one-way suicide missions knowing that there was not enough fuel to send them back. The pilots were not allowed to land but instead had to keep on flying until they ran out of fuel in which case they were told to crash into buildings and such. The japanese knew they were losing, but they were not going to surrender. However I feel that the u.s. did not give them enough time to surrender after the first bomb before they dropped the second, but the bombs were a way to end the war while losing less men.

Let someone else use that reasoning against us, and boom. The world could end before 2012, there are enough America haters

@Joe_Larson Let someone else use that reasoning against us, and boom. The world could end before 2012, there are enough...

No country will fuck with America, we have so many weapons, if any country is stupid enough to attack, we'll destroy them twice over.

KickAsss avatar KickAss Yeah You Are +17Reply

The US spends more on the military than China, the UK, France, Russia, Japan, Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Italy COMBINED. Believe me, NO ONE is running us over without us destroying them first.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +13Reply
@brunetterox915 The US spends more on the military than China, the UK, France, Russia, Japan, Germany, Saudi Arabia, and Italy...

Add to that the fact that our civilian populace has more guns than most countries do in their militaries.. Even if they somehow do defeat our military we have 300 million civilians who will put up a fight, locked and loaded.

Frozens avatar Frozen Yeah You Are +4Reply

Fine. Doesn't change what I said. If someone uses a nuke now, the whole world blows up. One bomb will be retaliated with another, bigger bomb, etc. If not the whole world, a whole lot of innocent people. War sucks in general, but it is a reality that will never be avoided. Nuclear war doesn't seem like the answer though, it just takes the problem from the battlegrounds directly to the community

@Chips and you're proud of that??

yes, i am actually. we dont have to worry about someone obliterating us because our military WILL fight back. our military isn't corrupt, it's not going against the citizens. some countries aren't so lucky. i say it's money well spent. some might not say so, but you pay a price for holding power in the world.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are 0Reply

This debate is both stupid and futile. The United States killed millions of civilians and Japan surrendered. This may or may not have been the best course of action; it may or may not have been worth it; it may or may not have saved more lives in the long run. Anyone can see that there are valid points on each side, so what's the point on arguing about something that's in the past? The NPT should prevent something like this from occurring again.

So hypocritical. To all the people that voted YYA: you agree with your country dropping an atom bomb but God forbid anybody else even own one, and it goes to such an extent that you'd all support a completely unnecessary war in the middle east on SUSPICION of WMD's. Ridiculous!

Chipss avatar Chips No Way -5Reply
@Chips So hypocritical. To all the people that voted YYA: you agree with your country dropping an atom bomb but God forbid...

First off, we had good reason to believe Saddam had WMDs. Secondly, we don't want other nations to have nuclear weapons because the ones who do want nuclear weapons tend to hate us or want a lot of power (Iran, North Korea, and formerly the Soviet Union). Thirdly, of course I'm fine with my country dropping an atomic bomb (technically two of them) if it means ending a war and saving lives.

like the person above me said, we try to take them away from the countries that only want them to destroy the world, and a lot of those countries happen to be in the middle east, especially Iran. The US dropped the bomb to END the war, not to start one, which is the huge difference between the two scenarios.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +7Reply
@brunetterox915 like the person above me said, we try to take them away from the countries that only want them to destroy the...

I suppose that makes sense. But its a bit like someone beating up a kid and then telling everyone no its wrong you mustnt do that. See what I mean?

Chipss avatar Chips No Way -1Reply
@Chips I suppose that makes sense. But its a bit like someone beating up a kid and then telling everyone no its wrong you...

Chips, shut up, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're just embarrassing yourself.

CPFC_Peavlers avatar CPFC_Peavler Yeah You Are 0Reply

You should have made that argument 4 years ago. The general public opposes the war now.

BabyOgres avatar BabyOgre Yeah You Are 0Reply