+1,992

It'd be really weird if animals were like pokemon in that they said their names instead of making sounds. So instead of going "Meow" a cat would walk around going "CAAAAAAT! CAAAAAT! CATCATCATCAT!" Amirite?

Francoiss avatar Internet & Apps
267 161
The voters have decided that Francois is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1275310

Badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger...

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +47Reply
@1275310

That reminds me of the impossible quiz.

@1322780

Whacka's post is a reference to the video game Metal Gear Solid, if you didn't know :p

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1275310

It's kind of strange how TheDogFather is saying snake. wary smilie

thedoctormerlins avatar thedoctormerlin Yeah You Are +13Reply
@1275310

wait till 22 seconds are up

@1275310

That was possibly the best comment I have read on this site.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Bring_Me_FRITOS HUMAAAAN!

Nicholas Cage

NICKooOoooOolaas Caaagee

(Its funny because he is his own animal)

Dwights avatar Dwight Yeah You Are +39Reply
@Bring_Me_FRITOS HUMAAAAN!

Homo-sapien......Homooo-saaaaaaaapien!

Raidens avatar Raiden Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Bring_Me_FRITOS HUMAAAAN!

Loving your own comment?

That's a paddlin'.

Well we could've just named them Meow and made both our lives a lot easier.

@Well we could've just named them Meow and made both our lives a lot easier.

(Your+name+(optional)): I believe Pokemon are named after the sound they make, so they would have been named Meow and not Cat. This poster doesn't know the canon of Pokemon but posts anyways.

@Courage_Wolf (Your+name+(optional)): I believe Pokemon are named after the sound they make, so they would have been named Meow...

Actually, I remember a few episodes where characters explain how a Pokemon got their name, and it had nothing to do with their cries. I guess they picked them up afterwards?

@shorkian Actually, I remember a few episodes where characters explain how a Pokemon got their name, and it had nothing to do...

It would be pretty odd if some scientist said 'I name you Pikachu' and then the entire Pikachu species learned that word and went around using it to communicate.

@shorkian You're right. I guess that's the one aspect of Pokemon that's even slightly unrealistic.

Even if Pokemon is unrealistic, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be MUCH more logical if their cries were a natural behavior that has been developed over a long period of time and which was used as the basis for their name. If we're looking at problems, why do Pokemon instantly develop a new way of talking when they evolve, why are their cries able to convey a variety of meanings when used the exact same way, and how come their cries sound so much like english syllables? Yes, there are many aspects of Pokemon that are unrealistic, but when considering two options, I don't see why we shouldn't pick the more realistic one.

@Courage_Wolf Even if Pokemon is unrealistic, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be MUCH more logical if their cries were a natural...

I'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out a memory that's much fresher than I'd like to admit. I agree that your way makes much more sense, but I really don't think that much thought was put into the early episodes.

@shorkian I'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out a memory that's much fresher than I'd like to admit. I agree that...

You might be right, I don't remember any episode where they actually talked about how Pokemon are named. I was making a logical assumption, which I suppose doesn't count for much when talking about Pokemon.

@Courage_Wolf You might be right, I don't remember any episode where they actually talked about how Pokemon are named. I was...

Don't put too much confidence in me. All I remember is something about how Muk is named after it's habitat, and I might've made that up

@shorkian Don't put too much confidence in me. All I remember is something about how Muk is named after it's habitat, and I...

I don't think I've ever heard a Muk speak. It really seemed to be only the cute ones who talked at all.

@Courage_Wolf I don't think I've ever heard a Muk speak. It really seemed to be only the cute ones who talked at all.

Muk talked a lot when Oak was on the video phone. He liked to "hug" him. Please don't judge me for my lagre amount of Pokemon related knowledge. It only extends to about half of the first season.

Except that only applies to the anime. Because in the games, which actually came first, none of their cries use English syllables. Gosh, Carter, get it together. :>

Then how did they name the pokemon that DON'T say their own name? I mean, they didn't name Onix "BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGH!"

@MrRite Then how did they name the pokemon that DON'T say their own name? I mean, they didn't name Onix...

I hate to be a douche, but Onix is actually saying his original Japanese name, Iwark.

@Courage_Wolf I hate to be a douche, but Onix is actually saying his original Japanese name, Iwark.

Didn't know his original name. That's not being a douche, by the way. It's all in HOW you say it and you didn't say it in a rude manner. Fair enough about Onix (iwark). What about Gyarados? Tyrannitar? Dragonite (it's mostly the pseudo legends that don't say their names) but what of them?

@MrRite Didn't know his original name. That's not being a douche, by the way. It's all in HOW you say it and you didn't say...

If I was to blindly hypothesize, I would guess that occasionally they do say things which were similiar enough to human speech to become their names. However, if that's not the case, I don't know how their names would be chosen. They are still the exception though, and not the rule.

the billions on little voices shouting, bacteria! bacteria!

@the billions on little voices shouting, bacteria! bacteria!

You might not see them, but they're there!

RobotDevils avatar RobotDevil Yeah You Are +2Reply

Or their Latin names, "Felis catus! Felis catus!"

Pokemon are walking onomatopoeia.

Lexiis avatar Lexii Yeah You Are +48Reply

Human: Human Human Human?
other Human: Human Human Human.... Human?
Puppy: puppypuppy PUPPEH
blue footed boobie: BOOBIE!!!!

Oh my god that would be so fun. I'd be like "hey fluffer, what are you!" and fluffer would be like "..cat." and I'd be like FLUFFER IS A GENIUSSSSS.

Chapsticks avatar Chapstick Yeah You Are +47Reply
@1261012

hahah cuz of meuwth rite gud 1

@1261026

How would I know that if you never come to chat anymore?

@1261046

Other people come to chat, you know.

@1261046

I like how other people who have probably never been to chat are loving this comment

@Courage_Wolf I like how other people who have probably never been to chat are loving this comment

I loved all of polar's comments above so he could retain the "most loved comments" title just a LITTLE longer.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1261046

I miss you tho :'(

Has anyone on here thought about how easy it would be to identify animals if this were true?
Person 1: I think it's a deer...
Person 2: No, it's definitely an antelope...
Animal: GAZELLE!!!

So a cat in France would say "Chat"?

@1323133

Next week: French transliteration puns. Will un oeuf ever be enough?

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +15Reply

I would I sleep at night? I would close
My eyes and hear "Spiiiiiidddddddder! Spiderspiderspider!"

Tecoos avatar Tecoo Yeah You Are +34Reply

"spider, spider,spider-" "fly! FLY!! FLY!" "spider, spider!" "FLY!! FLLLLY!! FL-"... "spiiiider."

A humuhumunukunukuapuaa would say, "fuck you"

narwhallllllll Narwhal!!!!!

@Nonsense_Narwhal narwhallllllll Narwhal!!!!!

Oh hai,i already commented on this post... moving on.

@FlyingGuineaPig Flying? Flying guinea pig! Guinea pig! Guinea pig! Pig?

Funny thing is, I actually call guinea pigs 'pigs', because it's cuter. XD

@Funny thing is, I actually call guinea pigs 'pigs', because it's cuter. XD

I'll have you know, that is a stereotype and it is derogatory. You should be ashamed of yourself. CAN I GET A MOD OVER HERE TO BAN THIS GUY, PLEASE AND THANK YOU?

.........
...
.
(A Mute Person)

DandyLions avatar DandyLion Yeah You Are +25Reply
@DandyLion ......... ... . (A Mute Person)

@1322661 (DandyLion): way to kill the cheerful mood, man

@DandyLion I can see how I did, but how did anon.

oh oops, i was just replying to you i guess. my mistake :

@1322707

better

DandyLions avatar DandyLion Yeah You Are 0Reply

unicorn unicorn unicorn. hippogriff hippogriff?

SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH!!!!!

@Ebony_Way unicorn unicorn unicorn. hippogriff hippogriff? SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH SLOTH!!!!!

i imagine a sloth sounding more like: Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth

lol imagine going to the zoo and finding animals randomly crying out HIPPOPOTAMUS!!!! ELEPHANT!!! GIRAFFE!! LLAMA!! that would be awesome. and loud.

fj95s avatar fj95 Yeah You Are +20Reply

Imagine swimming in the ocean.
SHAAAARK!!! SHAARRK!!!!
It would be horrifying.

God_the_Almightys avatar God_the_Almighty Yeah You Are +20Reply

Or what if we called animals by what they say so a cat would be a "meow". Or maybe I need to get some more sleep. That made sense when I thought it but now as I read it again, it makes no sense.

@pineappleperson Or what if we called animals by what they say so a cat would be a "meow". Or maybe I need to get some more sleep...

No, it makes some sense. It makes more sense than animals just knowing what we decided to call them. A cat might not say "cat" in English, it might say it in French or German or Japaneese, so the way you suggested makes more sense because it would be the same in every language.

ZOMBIEEEE! ZOMBIEEEE! ZOMBIEEEE!

The apocalypse just got more annoying than ever.

The_Zombiess avatar The_Zombies Yeah You Are +15Reply

As creepy as that would be I'm gonna go ahead and be the boring buzz kill who points out spiders can't "talk" since they have no vocal chords. The closest they can get to communication is through tapping objects, or in certain cases such as mating, they dance.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are +14Reply

That would be annoying as hell once you went outside. "Ant!" "ANT!" "ant!" "ANt!" "ANT!" "ANT!" "ANT!" It would be even worse if plants could talk too. "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!""ANT!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!" "GRASS!"

Surely that could work for almost anything, not just animals...I mean...
Croissant! Croissant! Crrrroiiiisssaannntttttt!

HastyCroissants avatar HastyCroissant Yeah You Are +12Reply

I'm not erally scared of bugs generally, but if it was like this, I would so be. But how would that be for humans?
Person 1: HUMAN!!!! HUMAN HUMAN HUMAN?!
Person 2: Human human human. Human human.
And everyone would just pretend they knew what each other was saying. You know, everyone should do that on the first day of school and fool the teachers XD

This epic post created such a weird image in my head.

BrookeNinjas avatar BrookeNinja Yeah You Are +11Reply

Except it wouldn't be weird. It would then be considered normal.

PEESASHIT! Peesa? Peesaaaaaa.... SHIIIIIIIT! PEESASHIT-SHIT! PEESASHIT!

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +9Reply

But humans gave them those names ...

@Simon But humans gave them those names ...

Obviously they hear the word cat used so often they begin to understand it's referring to them and then adapt into a sound they can make.

@Unenthusiastic ...that's how babies learn to speak. Cats would be talking

Yes, but in the actual example this post uses, it would be similar to Pokemon. Pokemon are only able to communicate using their 'cries', which consist of one word. The likelihood of a cat hearing ONE specific word out of the hundreds that would be used in their presence and then adapting that ONE word into a sound they can make that resembles the actual human word cat is very low, whereas babies pick up on a much wider variety of noises as opposed to only one.

...also cats can't talk

In my head even inanimate objects are screaming and it's very loud and creepy

Paigeperkkks avatar Paigeperkkk Yeah You Are +7Reply

penguin!penguin!

Hey_Theres avatar Hey_There Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Hey_There penguin!penguin!

PEN! PEN! GUINNNNN!

OnePenguins avatar OnePenguin Yeah You Are +25Reply

After reading this my mom ran around the house yelling names of animals.

Slenderfans avatar Slenderfan Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1324351

How would that be offensive?

Slenderfans avatar Slenderfan Yeah You Are 0Reply

PEDOBEAR PEDO- cough Um... I mean, bear! :D

@1322899

Someone above you already said it.

GNATHOSTOMULIDA GNATHOSTOMU- oh fuck this.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +4Reply

If tampons could speak...

Button_Mushrooms avatar Button_Mushroom Yeah You Are +4Reply

They already do, and have for the last six and a half years. Where have you been?

shelbmes avatar shelbme Yeah You Are +3Reply

http://m.youtube.com/index?desk...?v=QrkmdHX9JHA

This post reminded me of this video haha.

Nah we just fucked up. we should have called them meow.

But wouldn't cats be the only ones who could talk? (Meowth)

Octopus! octopus...OCTOPUSS!!!

nosferatus avatar nosferatu Yeah You Are 0Reply

How does this work for Pokemon not based on animals?

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Shadi How does this work for Pokemon not based on animals?

the hybrid pokemon would just say the two names of what they were based off of "turtle? turtlesquirrel. TUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRTTTLLLLLLEEEEEESQUIRREL!" that would work until they realize it is a tounge twister.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Serg the hybrid pokemon would just say the two names of what they were based off of "turtle? turtlesquirrel...

No, I meant Pokemon based on inanimate objects, like Litwick or Trubbish or Geodude. You just stumble into a rock on the ground, and it starts shouting "PEBBLE PEBBLE PEBBLE!"?

Shadis avatar Shadi Yeah You Are +19Reply
@1322511

You do know this's going to get you banned, right? I mean... that IS still in effect... >__>

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!

TURKEY! tuuurrrrrkey. TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY

@OvergrownTurkey TURKEY! tuuurrrrrkey. TURKEY TURKEY TURKEY

That would make getting food for Thanksgiving so much easier back when people used to catch their own turkeys.

BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER BADGER MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!

WHAAAAAAALE! WHALE WHALE WHALE! WHAAAAAALE!

StarGazers avatar StarGazer Yeah You Are 0Reply

Penis. PENIS. PENISSSSS

Throw away the rest of your logic. Imagine if thunder didn't sound like it does and just screamed THUUUNDEEEERRRRR!!!! Thunderstorms are suddenly much more entertaining.

Turtles avatar Turtle Yeah You Are -1Reply

That'd be weird if babies didn't cry, they'd say human and nurseries would be even more annoying

Skr3wBalls avatar Skr3wBall Yeah You Are -1Reply

Damn you all, now my mouth hurts from laughing.

OnePiecepkmns avatar OnePiecepkmn Yeah You Are -1Reply

tiger: Panthera tigris! Panthera tigris!!!

i think youve got it all wrong... they don't say it cause its their name, its their name cause they say it.

what if how they spoke is really their name? maybe a dog's real name is 'woof'

ASS! ASS! ASS! Cockcockcockcockcock Ppppuuuusssssyy

Arcanums avatar Arcanum Yeah You Are -10Reply
Chapsticks avatar Chapstick Yeah You Are +31Reply
@Chapstick Those are all technically animals...

You know who ELSE is technically an animal?

My MOM!