+679

If you argue that aborting a fetus is wrong because it is cutting off potential life, then by that logic, any moment when a woman isn't pregnant is wasting potential. I mean, seriously, why are you even reading this right now when you could be getting nasty? This is a matter of life and death! Amirite?

laikas avatar
111 409
The voters have decided that laika is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Getting an abortion is entirely that person's choice. It isn't right or wrong, it's whether or not SHE is ready for a baby. It's no one else's choice, so everyone just get over it.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +84Reply
@1270021

Fine, I agree to disagree. Are you going to change your mind? I'm not.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1270136

False. You can be on the pill or use condoms or any other form of protection except for sterilization and still get pregnant. And sometimes the moter doesn't have a say at all. But anyhow, like I've said, people have been debating this for who knows how long. I seriously doubt that a few kids on amirite.net will come up with the "right" answer. So I've said my opinion, you've said yours. I respect your opinion and I see where you're coming from, I just don't personally agree. Ciao.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +19Reply
@Wunderscore Getting an abortion is entirely that person's choice. It isn't right or wrong, it's whether or not SHE is ready for...

Right. Just like shooting someone in the face is entirely your choice. It takes away a life, but just get over it.

It was her decision to get pregnant. She made a life. Now she is killing it? That doesn't sound right. There is alwayys another choice, like adoption-giving the baby to a family that IS ready, instead of killing a baby for your own selfish reasons.

yeahyeahs avatar yeahyeah No Way -61Reply
@yeahyeah It was her decision to get pregnant. She made a life. Now she is killing it? That doesn't sound right. There is...

So you're saying if you got impregnated because of rape, it's still your choice that you got pregnant? Or what if she isn't ready financially? What if there are health complications? Are those selfish reasons?

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +67Reply
@1270023

1%of hundreds of thousands is still 1,000 people.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +23Reply
@1270880

Fine. But it still happens. And my other arguments were: what if there are health risks?, and what if she can't handle a baby financially? I'm just saying that if the other side of the argument is that it's NEVER okay to have an abortion, when IS it justified? It's the woman's choice, even if it was her choice to have unprotected sex, abortion IS a concequence. The women who get abortions aren't saying "oops haha, got pregnant. Better go get me an abortion." It wouldn't be an easy decision. Getting an abortion IS living with the concequences. If people are going to pull the "it's NEVER okay to have one" card, I'm going to have the other extreme, which is rape. Yeah, it only happens to a very small percent of the population, but are you saying that they don't matter?

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +15Reply
@Wunderscore Fine. But it still happens. And my other arguments were: what if there are health risks?, and what if she can't...

You're right. If you can't take care of it kill it. The budget's getting kind of tight. I think I'm going to go kill my son.

@1270898

But at the same time, in the US, everyone gets a say in what's right. 1,000,000 people gettig abortions in 1997 is NOTHING compared to, according to your statistics, the over 3,000,000 women who got raped. And are you saying that, if someone could die while giving birth, or the baby could die, you would say "this is something that needs to depend on what's best for the majority, not the few." Bitch move, my friend.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1270898

have you looked at rape stats as well???? b/c only like 10% (actually i think its less...) are even reported. only like 1% of those reported result in conviction. So even though you say that the rape stats are insignificant, thats an official number and is likely to be a WHOLE lot more than that anyway. The thing is if you say abortion is wrong then you lump rape victims into that statment as well. I dont think it matters who small the % is. It could be 0.0003% of the time for all i care but that amount matters. So do not judge before you know the circumstances is basically what im trying to say.

@1270880

1% of 100,000 people (the minimum number when you are referring the 'hundreds of thousands of people') is 1,000. So it would be 1,000 people at the very minimum.

@1270880

If you are correct in saying that 1% of the US population has gotten raped, then that equals about 3,114,853 people that have been raped. That's a whole lot more than I said before. But hey, maybe YOUR facts are wrong.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1271692

I see the 1% of abortion is from rape statistic a lot, but no matter how hard I've searched I can not find the origin of the statistic, nor the conditions that the survey was taken under. Did they use statistics from every clinic or hospital that preforms abortions? If not, how many did they survey, and over what amount of time? Did they get them from areas with higher or lower instances of rape? Could patients decline giving a reason or decline taking the survey altogether? Lots of women feel shamed at being raped, so they might have lied, way over half don't report the rape, so why would they report an abortion from rape? Sometimes statistics aren't accurate and are taken under bias conditions.

@1271692

Okay fine. And you said 1% of the population in the US, so I googles how many people there are and figured out how much 1% of that is. That's right, I can use polls too.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1270023

Exactly. It fathoms me how when people are bringing up abortion, they have to mention "NO YOU'RE WRONG, SHE COULD'VE BEEN RAPED!!! NOW WHAT? ARGUMENT INVALID"

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way +8Reply
@1270222

Your being so narrow minded. Can you tell me when does a human being start? does it only start being a human when it is a fetus? or when it has been born? a baby? what about an embryo? does that count? if so the morning after pill is murder. Maybe we should go further: the pill and birth control is the means to prevent human life so is that killing as well? every time you have your period you are shedding a potential human being. Im not saying you are wrong im just saying if you are going to say abortion is murder please qualify your statment. Because otherwise I may be a mass murderer. And i dont relly want that tag.

@1270023

That only includes what's reported. The actual statistics would be much more different. I alone know a young woman who had an abortion because of a (unreported) rape. There are thousands of unreported rapes per year, this stands to reason that there would be hundreds (if not thousands) of abortions as a result of rape outside of your statistic.

@1270023

But are you still saying that those are wrong by your standards?

@Wunderscore So you're saying if you got impregnated because of rape, it's still your choice that you got pregnant? Or what if...

I am entirely pro-choice, but even I'm tired of the rape argument. Yes, it definitely happens, but the percentage of unwanted babies due to rape are so small it's almost insignificant.

BurntToastCastles avatar BurntToastCastle Yeah You Are +10Reply
@BurntToastCastle I am entirely pro-choice, but even I'm tired of the rape argument. Yes, it definitely happens, but the percentage...

it is because of the above argument that I stay abstinent. That, and because rape's not cool, so don't go raping people it might end up on amirite.

Obviously in that situation it wasn't her choice. But it is still an innocent life that was created out of that, and its her responsibility to not go off and kill it. If shes not ready financially adoption! So many able families would be grateful to have that child. Health complications? Obviously thats different too. That decision should be for the doctor if its really her life and death situation.

@yeahyeah Obviously in that situation it wasn't her choice. But it is still an innocent life that was created out of that...

Expenses aren't just for after the baby is born. Clothes, vaccines, ultrasounds,food, vitamins, and other things aren't cheap. I'm not saying that gettig an abortion would be an easy decision, no matter what the case, but I do think that nobody can decisde if you're ready for a baby except for you.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +43Reply

so many families would be grateful to have that child? do you know how many children are in forster care e.t.c because nobody has adopted them? why create another child who has the potential of being left in forster care, in and out of homes for 18 years.

@_sam_chickaa_ so many families would be grateful to have that child? do you know how many children are in forster care e.t.c...

So many foster care kids end up on the streets because of molestation and simply being in the system until they turn 18 and are forced out, and so many foster care kids commit suicide because of just how terrible it is to be a "pinball" kid. Obviously there are foster care parents who are great, but there are tons who are not. I'd rather give my potential baby no pain than the potential pain of that, when I know I can't personally support her/him.

twisted_memoriess avatar twisted_memories Yeah You Are +10Reply
@yeahyeah Why kill an innocent child.

what innocent child? it is a matter of opinion, in mine a child isnt alive at fertilisation, not during the first trimester. to me, a child is a child when they can breathe and have functioning organs without the womans aid.

Not being ready financially doesn't just mean supporting the baby, it's everything during the pregnancy. This includes hospital times, ultra-sounds, any medication she may need, plus the actual birth, this can all add up in expenses, especially in countries with no public health insurance

Kluklayus avatar Kluklayu Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Kluklayu Not being ready financially doesn't just mean supporting the baby, it's everything during the pregnancy. This...

Don't forget time. Simply being pregnant can set you back in school. It means differing exams because of medical appointments, and handing in assignments late. It could easily set you back a solid year (plus all those expenses [rent, food, transportation, etc] not even related to the medical expenses).

grateful to adopt a child? do you kno how over crowded foster places and adoption homes are? they arent sitting around waiting for another accidental pregnancy to come so a better home can take the baby. and so many kids get messed up going from home to home. theres horrible stuff at those houses and the government cant stop ALL of it.

Rape isn't exactly something she could control, but then again rape could mean she was 15 and had sex with a 19 year old, and she knew it. If she's not financially ready, then why the fuck would she even have sex, especially with the possibility of getting pregnant?

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way -33Reply
@Eminna Rape isn't exactly something she could control, but then again rape could mean she was 15 and had sex with a 19...

You asked: why would someone have sex?

1. Pleasure
2. Love
3. Babies!
4. Revenge? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_(film) )

People want to have sex, and all people should have the right to dictate their own sexual lives. They SHOULD be aware of risks, but it doesn't make sense to say, "don't have sex, you could get pregnant" when we REALLY should be saying "don't have unprotected sex." People aren't going to stop having sex. Even though there's a risk of pregnancy. And she's not financially ready. This is why we should be focusing on things like making birth control more available, not teaching abstinence / cutting funding to planned parenthood.

I feel like I've said this same thing in like 19320453 abortion posts. But I have to respond whenever someone comments, "well maybe she shouldn't have had sex!"

@You asked: why would someone have sex? 1. Pleasure 2. Love 3. Babies! 4. Revenge? (...

You completely blew what i said out out context. I said why would she have sex if she's not FINANCIALLY READY to handle a baby. It's not like she doesn't know she could have a baby, so getting the abortion isn't justified because if she can't handle it, then she shouldn't do it. You know there's couples who haven't had sex in years? It's not like it's a needed part of a relationship, especially considering there are other forms of pleasure.

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way -24Reply
@Eminna You completely blew what i said out out context. I said why would she have sex if she's not FINANCIALLY READY to...

So if I go skydiving, know all the risks, and take all the precautions and when I pull the cord and the parachute doesn't come out, I should be denied medical attention because I knew I COULD get hurt?

stacilovesyous avatar stacilovesyou Yeah You Are +50Reply
@fangirl12 Pregnancy is much less dangerous than, you know... jumping out of a friggin plane.

I didn't say this to make a comparison on how dangerous it is. I was saying it to the people who say "oh she knew she could get pregnant so she has to go through with it" using that logic, you could say, even for something LESS extreme "they knew jaywalking was dangerous, therefore they must deal with their injuries and not go to the hospital" or in the case of skydiving as well.

stacilovesyous avatar stacilovesyou Yeah You Are -1Reply
@stacilovesyou I didn't say this to make a comparison on how dangerous it is. I was saying it to the people who say "oh she knew...

But there's no toher life at risk. If you treat someone for a car accident injury, they get treated and nothing else happens. If a girl gets an abortion, the baby gets cheated out of a full life.

@fangirl12 But there's no toher life at risk. If you treat someone for a car accident injury, they get treated and nothing...

Yes there is just as much risk. What you would be "killing" in an abortion is a clump of cells. If she catches it early enough, it still has the potential to grow into a kidney and is not at all human. In treating a woman for injuries, you kill bacteria. They're pretty much on the same level if you ask me.

stacilovesyous avatar stacilovesyou Yeah You Are +3Reply
@stacilovesyou Yes there is just as much risk. What you would be "killing" in an abortion is a clump of cells. If she catches it...

Bacteria doesn't have human DNA though. All of us grown humans are just bigger clumps of cells of human DNA. And no matter how long that bacteria just sits there, it's not going to grow an arm or legs or anything- it'll stay the same.

@stacilovesyou So if I go skydiving, know all the risks, and take all the precautions and when I pull the cord and the parachute...

That's different. The medical attention you would get would help save your life, not take away a life.

I just think it's ridiculous to say that people shouldn't have sex until they're financially ready. I'm planning on going to med school, does this mean that I shouldn't have sex until I've paid off my loans? If a couple doesn't want to have sex, that's great for them. But it's unrealistic to assume that people will decide to have sex only if they're ready for a baby, because that's not how our society works.

Rape is non consensual sexual contact or intercourse. That means someone does not "want it." Therefore rape is not the victim's fault.

midnightcookiess avatar midnightcookies Yeah You Are +40Reply
@midnightcookies Rape is non consensual sexual contact or intercourse. That means someone does not "want it." Therefore rape is not...

But no one ever talks about taking certain precautions and staying safe so rape is completely out of the question in any situation...

Yes. If she isn't financially ready, she either shouldn't have gotten raped or not slept around. If the health complications are hers, then it's selfish. If the health complications are the baby's, the woman should have been prepared for the consequences of being pregnant.

@Yes. If she isn't financially ready, she either shouldn't have gotten raped or not slept around. If the health...

I dare you to go up to a rape victim and say "you shouldn't have gotten raped." tell me how that goes

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +268Reply
@Wunderscore I dare you to go up to a rape victim and say "you shouldn't have gotten raped." tell me how that goes

I'm not saying getting raped was her choice. But now, even though she didn't ask for it, she has the responsibility to care for this life that was made. I can understand if she doesn't want to keep it, but killing an innocent baby would be worse than rape.

yeahyeahs avatar yeahyeah No Way -59Reply
@yeahyeah I'm not saying getting raped was her choice. But now, even though she didn't ask for it, she has the responsibility...

I guess we're just going to have to agre to disagree. I doubt that I will change your mind, and I don't feel the need to. It's your opinion, it's really none of my business. I hope that you respect my decision because, even if you don't, I'm not changing my mind.

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore Yeah You Are +32Reply

(yeahyeah) @1270017 (imsobailey): Both of you should think about this: No one can be the perfect human rights activist on this subject because you both make valid points. On one hand, the mother needs to be able to decide what to do with her body. On the other hand, aborting a fetus could be considered taking a life. I used to think the best option was to have the baby and put it up for adoption, until I considered that teens are very likely to die while going through childbirth, so if a teen is forced to do that she will probably die. Also, if the baby has a disease that is incurable or otherwise difficult and painful, the baby will probably die before it is adopted. Therefore there is no perfect answer to this subject in a general sense, it all depends on the baby and the mother's specific situation.

meemer147s avatar meemer147 Yeah You Are +29Reply
@meemer147 (yeahyeah) @1270017 (imsobailey): Both of you should think about this: No one can be the perfect human rights...

I doubt they will "probably" die. Maybe an increased chance but you are implying that more than half die, which is completely untrue

@emilysoccer2 I doubt they will "probably" die. Maybe an increased chance but you are implying that more than half die, which is...

you're right, I generalized in that post. As with abortion, it depends on the teen's specific situation. A 16 year old could be perfectly healthy and have no problems with childbirth, but that's not always the case. It's too broad of a subject to have a set in stone opinion, was my point.

meemer147s avatar meemer147 Yeah You Are +1Reply

then after you have it most mothers would want it cause yet fell in love with it. how would you like to tell you're child no you're not adopters. you're a rape child.

@Teens shouldn't be having sex and getting pregnant.

if a teen is considering abortion, it's a little late to be lecturing them on safe sex.

how does it make any sense whatsoever to say that it was a womans choice to get raped? It is no more their fault or decision to get raped than it would be mine to die in a car accident tomorrow.

lookitups avatar lookitup No Way +26Reply

easy for you to say, seeing as you most likely havn't been raped, so unless you experience the situation yourself, then i would shut your mouth because you clearly did say getting raped was her fault; " she either shouldn't have gotten raped" you can't control rape? stop being so ignorant. women have the choice whether or not to get an abortion, especially if the pregnancy occured out of rape. but regardless, in my opinion a child isn't a child until it can breath and live on it's own.

Also, it's not a woman's choice if her baby develops a condition that will likely kill her and her baby. There are 2.9 BILLION base pairs in the human genome. Are you somehow suggesting that a woman can control whether there's a mutation and should only become pregnant if she's ready to die so her very sick baby could potentially live a short, painful life or if she could prevent any mutations in her fetus?

@1271923

What I think the commenter meant was that if a child has an incurable, terminal disorder the mother should have the right to end the pregnancy. For example, let's say a woman was pregnant and her baby had a condition that meant it would only be able to survive for a few hours outside the womb, and for whatever reason the pregnancy was also causing health problems for the mother. If the mother carried the baby full term, it would mean risking her life for a baby that would die soon after it was born. Or if the baby had a disease that meant it would be in constant pain for its entire life, the mother should have the right not bring a child into the world who would have to spend its life in that kind of pain.

It's true that women should not have unprotected sex until they're ready to handle the responsibility of having a child, but really, is any mother who is ever prepared to have a child with a terminal illness?

She "shouldn't of gotten raped"? I do not think your version of rape is the same as mine.

Ravens avatar Raven Yeah You Are +3Reply

Go fuck yourself. Obviously I didn't want to be raped and I'd change that if I could. You have a special place in hell for even suggesting that VICTIMS of rape have a choice in that.

Then whose choice should it be? Your choice? The government's choice? Please tell me who you think has the right to govern a woman's body.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +33Reply
@Who has the right to govern a baby's body?

It depends. Is this baby/fetus/embryo/zygote in anyone's uterus?

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are -1Reply
@fEMMAnist Then whose choice should it be? Your choice? The government's choice? Please tell me who you think has the right to...

No one. If there is a life created, then no one should be able to decide to just kill it because it is inconvient to them. It isn't just the woman's body that is at risk here. There is a new person to put into the equation.

yeahyeahs avatar yeahyeah No Way -16Reply
@yeahyeah No one. If there is a life created, then no one should be able to decide to just kill it because it is inconvient...

Around 1/3 of US women over 45 have had an abortion*. Do you really honestly believe that 1/3 women in America are immoral heartless murderers? While we are on the subject of morality, do you think it would be moral to make abortion a crime and send thousands of women that attempted to get abortions illegally to jail for the rest of their lives?

*http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/..._abortion.html

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +10Reply
@fEMMAnist Around 1/3 of US women over 45 have had an abortion*. Do you really honestly believe that 1/3 women in America are...

I know 1/3 of women of gone through an abortion, but think that statistic includes women who have what doctors call a "natural abortion," or as it's more commonly known, a miscarriage.

I believe that they have killed a person. And no, if they did it before it is illegal? then no? you can't get into trouble if it isn't illegal at the time..

@yeahyeah I believe that they have killed a person. And no, if they did it before it is illegal? then no? you can't get into...

I wasn't talking about women who did it before it was illegal. You can't punish people for doing something that was legal at the time because of ex post facto. I was talking about women who would get abortion after the law was enacted.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +9Reply
@yeahyeah Then wouldn't they obviously go to jail if it was illegal? i don't see your point

Sorry for not making my self clear. My point is that it would be very immoral throw that many women (and girls perhaps) in jail for the rest of their lives. Turning our women into prisoners will not help women, their babies (born or otherwise) or society.

I will give up all hope of getting a positive score on this comment and say that I believe making abortion illegal would be more immoral that actually getting an abortion.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +28Reply
@fEMMAnist Sorry for not making my self clear. My point is that it would be very immoral throw that many women (and girls...

so it is "immoral" to send thousands of murderers to jail? How does that make sense?

lookitups avatar lookitup No Way -20Reply
Kluklayus avatar Kluklayu Yeah You Are +20Reply
@Kluklayu Cool story, you feel that way, don't get an abortion. It's not your life, fuck off

so according to your logic if I see a woman getting raped I shouldn't help her. If I see a man being stabbed to death I shouldn't call an ambulance and try to stop the attacker. Because that isn't my life so I'll just f' off.

@lookitup so according to your logic if I see a woman getting raped I shouldn't help her. If I see a man being stabbed to...

Key phrase: "You FEEL that way". If you feel that the person should die, then yes just continue on your way.

TheAwkwardOnes avatar TheAwkwardOne Yeah You Are +2Reply
@TheAwkwardOne Key phrase: "You FEEL that way". If you feel that the person should die, then yes just continue on your way.

well I feel like every human (born or not) deserves to live unless they commit a crime such as murder or rape.

@fEMMAnist Does this mean you oppose war or did you just forget to mention that?

they are sacrificing their lives for a cause. It isn't murder.

@lookitup they are sacrificing their lives for a cause. It isn't murder.

You did not just say that a 19 year old killed in Iraq was killed for a just cause?!!! He got killed b/c George Bush thought Iraq harboured weapons of mass destruction! Anyway your statement actually goes a long way to explaining why you shouldnt judge people who get an abortion. Millions of people would disagree with you about your war statment. Millions would agree with your abortion statment. Its a matter of opinion.

that`s what everyone seems to forget. in most NOT all but most cases the women consented to having sex and has a life inside of her by her own actions. Abortion is a selfish act. Making someone pay for your actions is always selfish

@1269812

It's not just you.. I've noticed it too.

@1269812

Lol, two (in one day). That's not really such a great difference.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1269811

You're late!?

_____________s avatar _____________ Yeah You Are 0Reply

My two cents that no one asked for:
Abortion is a women's choice. But so is having unprotected sex. If you knowingly don't take the steps to prevent pregnancy I don't think you should get an abortion. If the condom breaks or birth control fails then go ahead. If you're raped I almost expect you to get an abortion. If you're gonna die get one, don't be a martyr. Abortion is meant to be for emergenies, not a form of birth control. The medical risks of getting an abortion aren't worth a night of unprotected sex anyway. Don't be stupid and always try to have safer sex.

It doesn't matter. In the end, people will still be throwing their personal god into the equation, and then BOOM, back to square one with the whole 'how do you even know god exists in the first place?' argument.

@Unicorns It doesn't matter. In the end, people will still be throwing their personal god into the equation, and then BOOM...

...I really thought you were gonna go with "doesn't matter, had sex" when I started reading this.

I hate POTDs that already have a shit load of comments.

Makes it harder for people to recognize my witty/awesome/clever self.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +22Reply

All of you people who are arguing against abortion seem to have the idea that it is a decision made lightly by the women who are in such situations. Take into consideration that it is an incredibly difficult decision to make, and is usually a last resort. Do not think that women get abortions willynilly and don't think twice about it. Many women suffer depression afterwards and regret the decision, even if it was right for them at the time, so don't bitch about these people saying they are "disgusting immoral murderers" or what have you, because it is such a difficult and painful choice to make. I'm not even bothering to get into the "is it or is it not a life, is it right or is it wrong, should they or shouldn't they have had sex?" debate, I'm just saying don't assume women make the decision to get an abortion lightly.

Pro-life people don't believe it's cutting off a POTENTIAL life, rather cutting off a life that's already been created.

Another thing I'd like to point out is all of this "put it up for adoption" business. Huge amounts of children never get adopted, and end up spending their entire childhoods in foster homes wondering why their parents didn't care enough about them to keep them. Is that really a life a child deserves? The only way you can use adoption as a valid reason to have the child is if adoption is guaranteed by arrangement prior to the birth. Otherwise, there is no way of knowing that the child will ever go to one of these "loving families who are ready for a child".

In my youth group, we had a speaker who said aborting a fetus is taking away its rights and potential. But if you can't provide for the child, isn't that takin away its rights and potential too?

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +15Reply

If you were to make abortion illegal, people would still get abortions, illegally of course.

I LIKE TURTLES

If abortion is murder, does that make a miscarriage involuntary manslaughter?

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +12Reply

I totally agree with the follow-up. As a pro-choice vegetarian, I don't see how pro-life non-vegetarians have a leg to stand on. That cow that's throat was slit while it was still alive suffered a hell of a lot more than an oblivious embryo incapable of fear or awareness.

I think that this was, while it still may be an opinion, supposed to be taken as a joke. Maybe a not very good one, but I sensed some dry humor going on, is it just me?

Ok, so here's how I see this whole situation breaking down. It's not your life, not your decisions, and it's none of your business. Having the baby and getting an abortion BOTH have good/bad consequences, and it's the womans responsibility to make those choices and reap the repercussions. You have absolutely no right to tell anybody how to live their life, and anybody who thinks they do needs a reality check. It's not going to change your life, it's not going to hurt you, so just leave people alone. Abortion may not be the best option, but it will always be an option, whether or not it's legal or you agree with it, so just let this argument die and get on with your lives.

Kluklayus avatar Kluklayu Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Kluklayu Ok, so here's how I see this whole situation breaking down. It's not your life, not your decisions, and it's none...

saying that I shouldn't interfere with a woman getting an abortion is the same as saying I shouldn't interfere with someone being murderously
attacked when I can stop it.

lookitups avatar lookitup No Way -10Reply

clears throat steps up to microphone What if said fetus would kill the mother during the pregnancy or during the birth? bows Thank you, and good night.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Brettward95 clears throat steps up to microphone What if said fetus would kill the mother during the pregnancy or during...

I see how it is. Nobody wants to argue with me. I guess it's just because my argument is so completely solid and perfect that nobody can possibly win.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +5Reply

I can argue either side of this debate, though I am personally pro-choice.

What if I said the fetus might not kill the mother?
Then you can say that the fetus probably will kill the mother thus killing the potential that mother has to create more babies that won't kill her.
Then I argue that the baby could grow up to cure cancer.
Then you argue that the baby could be a murderer and the other children the mother could end up having are far more likely to cure cancer because there will be more of them.
And then I would give up because I am biased and can't think of a pro-life argument that doesn't step over religious boundaries.

@pikabeau I can argue either side of this debate, though I am personally pro-choice. What if I said the fetus might not kill...

I'm not talking about potential things here. If it is an ectopic pregnancy, or the mother has cancer and her body cannot handle childbirth, then she will die without an abortion.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@pikabeau But would the baby live?

It might, it might not. It really doesn't matter. This baby may have any type of potential in the world, but the women would already be an established member of society. Also, if abortion were to be declared illegal, then this woman's life is in the hands of lawmakers which goes against the very core of the pro-life argument.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Brettward95 It might, it might not. It really doesn't matter. This baby may have any type of potential in the world, but the...

My heart isn't really in this, I agree with you too much to come up with something for the other side. At least I tried... Sorta.

I am very much pro-choice, but this line of reasoning will not exactly be winning you arguments anytime soon.

LamWins avatar LamWin No Way +8Reply

Abortion is completely the choice of the woman. I know that a fetus will be a child, I know that it is growing and has potential. But why should someone who got pregnant by accident and isn't ready for a child put the needs of their UNBORN fetus before their own needs? The fetus does not have any friends, it does not have feelings or emotions (I'm no expert, but their emotions and feelings are NOT as complex as that of an out-of-the-womb human being) and the fetus does not even know what's going on. Why should anyone tell people that the needs of the already living person (who doesn't even want the kid) should be put after the unborn's? I just don't believe that it is murder at all. It doesn't make any sense to me. If I got pregnant by accident or by rape and didn't want the child, if it would grow up with a terrible life, or if having the baby could result in pain and complications for my own life, I am going to put my own life first. The truth is, the impact of my death will be much more important than that of an unborn fetus.

@Eri Abortion is completely the choice of the woman. I know that a fetus will be a child, I know that it is growing and...

That`s why ADOPTION ADOPTION ADOPTION!!!!!!! screams voice inside my head is available and babies are in high demand! And abortion isn`t about the mother or the father, its about the fetus! We were all fetuses at one point. How dare you say that " since a person is only at the fetus stage your life is more important?!" I have never considered people heartless who get an abortion just not educated enough on the topic and a lack of sense as to what life is really about... but this post is heartless.

@thatsjustmii That`s why ADOPTION ADOPTION ADOPTION!!!!!!! screams voice inside my head is available and babies are in high...

The world does not need more orphans.
Eri never said "since a person is only at the fetus stage your life is more important." Don't misquote people.
Yes we were all fetuses as one point. We were all sperm and eggs at one point too.
Just because something is alive does not mean it is as valuable as a human being. Animals are alive. Insects are alive. TREES are alive. If you can tell me you have never eaten any fruit, vegetables, meat or grain products, and you have never killed an insect, and you have never purchased anything made of wood or paper, then you have a point. Whether or not something is expendable is based on sentience, not organic life. A fetus does not have a consciousness, therefore it is not a person, making your argument invalid.

personThingys avatar personThingy Yeah You Are +1Reply

Impregnated, then abortion:
Life growing -> No new life

Not Impregnated:
No life growing -> No new life

There's a difference.

I am all for abortion, it isn't a human so you're not killing a human. Sex is not ONLY for reproducing and those who think it is, are ignorant.

AntiJokeChickens avatar AntiJokeChicken Yeah You Are +6Reply
@AntiJokeChicken I am all for abortion, it isn't a human so you're not killing a human. Sex is not ONLY for reproducing and those...

Nobody said anything about sex being only for reproducing. Sex can be for fun, too. That isn't the issue at all...

how is it not a human? It has human DNA, human shape, and the human capacity to feel pain.

@AntiJokeChicken So do gorillas, but are they human?

gorillas have human DNA? Do they also have the human capacity for sentient thought? Do they have a moral code that is embeded into (nearly) every human?

@Exploding_Chickens AND I capitalize RANDOM words in the middle OF my SENTENCES.

Not random words, I capitalised words that I feel needed more emphasis.

AntiJokeChickens avatar AntiJokeChicken Yeah You Are +1Reply
@AntiJokeChicken They have VERY similar DNA. And no, but does a foetus? No it does not.

you know we share 50% of our DNA with bananas... And I was saying do adult gorillas have sentient thought or a moral code?

@lookitup you know we share 50% of our DNA with bananas... And I was saying do adult gorillas have sentient thought or a...

Exactly, you're just supporting my point. You are arguing that a gorilla isn't a human because it doesn't have sentient thought or a moral code. A foetus doesn't possess these attributes either, so, by your logic, a foetus is NOT a human.

AntiJokeChickens avatar AntiJokeChicken Yeah You Are +9Reply
@lookitup I believe that they do have thoughts. And that comes with the moral code.

If they have a a natural moral code, then explain to me why 4-year-olds draw on walls in crayon or deliberately spill things all over the floor when it'll only serve to make Mommy and Daddy upset? Why do we have to teach them to be nice?

@If they have a a natural moral code, then explain to me why 4-year-olds draw on walls in crayon or deliberately...

They don't do it on purpose, we have to teach them that things like that hurt us or whatever. But even if they lie to not get in trouble, they still know its wrong, they just don't want to be punished.

@lookitup They don't do it on purpose, we have to teach them that things like that hurt us or whatever. But even if they lie...

So what you're saying is that they know right from wrong, but they just don't give a shit about it... I don't know if that counts as a moral code.

@So what you're saying is that they know right from wrong, but they just don't give a shit about it... I don't know...

What I'm saying is they don't want to hurt you, they just don't know what hurts you. And I lie to get out of trouble, but I know its wrong.

I'm confused as to why people are even still arguing about this.

Abortion is a basic human right, it has been done for thousands of years in a variety of ways. The procedures done now are safer and more sanitary than ever before. If these were made unavailable, illegal and unsafe practices would flourish, because abortion always has and always will exist. Boo hoo.

No person who possesses female reproductive organs should EVER be forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term, no matter the situation.

_____s avatar _____ Yeah You Are +6Reply

Okay, I really doubt anyone is going to read this comment, but if a life has never existed it can't be extinguished. Therefore, not being pregnant is not the same thing as killing innocent children, whereas abortion still is.

The egg in my body right now will most likely become my period and whoopdedoo, no new life, no nothing. The fetus inside someone else right now will most likely become a child, a human being. You can't really compare the two like that....

Personally, I see why everyone gets their panties in a twist on this subject. I understand both sides of the argument. My opinion is this:

I understand that there are many reasons why people have abortions and some of them are very valid. However, I think it just really needs to be understood by more women how big of a deal this is. Whether they consider it one or not, this is a human being. A real person. If abortion can be avoided, it should be. If there is a really good reason, such as health risks for those involved, then I can see why abortion would be considered. But as I said, if it can be avoided, it should be.

I don't see any side that is clearly right. Both sides have good points. I say that boosting awareness in schools about protected sex and the responsibilities of a baby would help in the unwanted pregnancy rates. As far as rape victims go, at least give the baby up for adoption (predetermined). May I remind you alot of succesfull people were in foster homes. As far as I'm concerned a baby is a baby, no matter how undeveloped. Imagine how the world would be without alot of famous people, because thier parents wanted an abortion. I just don't see abortion as a solution to pregnancy.

So now isn't the time to promote my friends' Dying Fetus cover band?

@WolfeDeWary So now isn't the time to promote my friends' Dying Fetus cover band?

I'm afraid not, my friend. I'm afraid not. But I could promote Stationary Foot(my Christian Death Metal band)!

A fetus isn't potential life, it IS life. A fetus can live outside the womb after 6 months of developing. The minute you have sex is the minute you make your choice to POTENTIALLY have a baby. After that, I don't think the life growing inside you should have to pay for your inability to make the correct choice in the first place. Yes anyone can argue rape, but what's worse, rape or murder? There's always adoption, and there's ALWAYS a choice. The choice should just be made sooner than later.

I seriously don't understand how people think they can decide abortion is murder and people who get abortions are heartless. How about everyone who thinks this way, try putting yourselves in the woman's shoes. There are many MANY factors that affect the choice of abortion, try having a fetes in your womb and knowing that when that baby is born you know that no matter how hard you try it WILL live a miserable life and probably suffer emotional or physical pain that you cannot BEGIN to imagine because you have not been through nor ever will be through such events, THEN come back and tell me that abortion is immoral. Just because you think its wrong does that give you the right to force women all around the world to destroy their lives just because you think abortion is immoral?

Fuck you, people who think this way. Just fuck you...

@I_Fly_Sometimes I seriously don't understand how people think they can decide abortion is murder and people who get abortions are...

Don't forget the amount of grown women who would die if it was illegal. http://www.genderacrossborders....gal-abortions/

That's what is happening in the world right now. Imagine if our countries illegalized it? So many women would die, along with the fetuses (is that the right plural?). It's incredibly needless and terribly dangerous. We have the right to govern our own bodies. People act like abortion is used as a birth control without any real thought. That's bullshit. Abortion is serious and women who get them know this. There is counselling and everything for women who abort or want to. It's a very serious decision not made lightly. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

It's a natural process to pass unfertilized eggs. It is not a natural process to remove fertilized ones.

@It's a natural process to pass unfertilized eggs. It is not a natural process to remove fertilized ones.

It's not a natural process to give or receive oral or anal sex but people do it all the time.

Actually, spontaneous abortions happen all the time, and most of the time, they happen before the woman even knows she's pregnant.

It's a natural process to go out with spears and rocks and find some potential food to impale. It is not a natural process to go to a supermarket and buy packaged meat and mass-produced cereal. :/

Vitaes avatar Vitae Yeah You Are +3Reply

Personally I believe that if someone doesn't want to have a child either don't have sex or at least use protection. I myself am against abortion. But if the woman was raped or the child will have severe health problems I understand having an abortion. But if you just acted with out care and had unprotected sex then atleast adopt the baby out so it can have a better life. But again this is just my opinion it's not a stated fact so believe what you want.

@shmangle Personally I believe that if someone doesn't want to have a child either don't have sex or at least use protection...

there have been many people who "were going to be born with severe disabilities" that turn out fine.

@lookitup there have been many people who "were going to be born with severe disabilities" that turn out fine.

And what about the millions that have a terrible case a mental retardation or some other disability?

@lookitup what about them?

Then we should just forget about those and praise the fact that a few people dodged not having the disability?

@lookitup what about them?

It's funny because I passed a bunch of "pro life" protesters yesterday, it was my first time seeing them in public haha

EpicBoys avatar EpicBoy Yeah You Are +4Reply
@1519435

Or anal. Anal's always available.

@1519435

Teaching abstanece gas been proven less helpful in preventing babies then safe sex. I could explain more, but stupid people are not worth the effort.

@1519666

It's not abstinence that resulted in more unplanned babies, it's teaching abstinence. In an abstinence only sex ed class people never learn how to be safer (not totally safe mind you, just safer). In today's society it is ridiculous to expect people to stop having sex. You have to teach how to be safer. If all the people who got abortions would have used a condom correctly or even used one at all they most likely wouldn't have gotten pregnant in the first place. The vast majority of abortions happen because no protection was used to be begin with. If people only learn about abstinence they end up getting all their information from birth control myths like having sex in water won't get a girl a pregnant and that the pull out method actually works. Like it or not, people will still have sex. I think if they're gonna be doing it anyway they might as well wrap up. That whole "condoms are 97% effective when used correctly" thing would reduce the number of abortions drastically, even if there is still a 3% failure rate.

@1520276

Saying don't have sex, but use a condom if you do is a mixed message, though it is a safer message than don't have sex since when you just tell people not to have sex they do it anyway. The only reason so many people don't find out how to use birth control is because of all the abstinence only programs. If people would learn to use a condom and the birth control pill there would be fewer problems. And as far as HIV goes, if used correctly they work 80% of the time. That statistic wasn't found in a lab. They used real life couples for that one. They also use real couples for the pregnancy statistic, which is actually better than I thought. Condoms are 98% effective in preventing pregnancy. That makes sense considering your micrometer information (if the pores range from 1-5 micrometers they are more likely to be smaller than 5, and sperm are usually larger than that).

Since telling people not to do it won't stop them you might as well tell them to be safer about it. The risk of pregnancy if the girl is on the pill and the man uses a condom is really low (<1%)

Legal or illegal, right or wrong, abortion is going to happen
Personally I thinks it's killing but I won't jugde only because I feel it's stupid to stress over the lifes taken by abortion when there are born breathing needing lives that need taking care of.

A fetus is actually growing into a baby. There is a large difference between a fetus and an unfertilized egg.

Okay so suppose you end up having a baby out of wed-lock/as a teenager. Now think about all the effects on that child's life and the mother. The mother would most likely not get a proper education and have trouble financially supporting her child later in life because of her lack in education, lack of a degree, and lack of a good paying job. The child may also face emotional scars if he/she grows up without a father or is not often around his or her mother. I have personally seen a lot of kids get involved in bad things, make wrong choices, and go against ethics and morals because of situations like this. You may give that child a life but you may make that child's life a constant living hell. That child may also have a negative influence on people around him/her. I'm not saying abortion should always be the right choice but I look down upon people who are always propagandizing "pro-life". Some people feel bad enough getting an abortion and don't need people constantly yelling at them to keep the child. You have to think of all the effects. I'm running out of characters or else I would continue with all the negative effects which can occur when someone doesn't get an abortion

mNmL0ver14s avatar mNmL0ver14 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@mNmL0ver14 Okay so suppose you end up having a baby out of wed-lock/as a teenager. Now think about all the effects on that...

But they wouldn't necessarily have to raise their son or daughter themselves. They could always put him or her up for adoption.

@MyNameIsNotBob But they wouldn't necessarily have to raise their son or daughter themselves. They could always put him or her up...

Imagine all the emotional scars a child would face if he or she thought his/her mother and father abandoned them. Not to mention it would be hard for a mother to have to give up her child after child-birth because of a bond between a child and mother. In addition, imagine the constant humiliation, the stares, the scolds. The negative emotions of the mother while the baby is in the womb reflect on the baby and have a HUGE impact on that child.

mNmL0ver14s avatar mNmL0ver14 Yeah You Are 0Reply

This is not a valid argument. I know people whose mother had them as teenagers, and they turned out fine.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are 0Reply

It's not potential life, it IS life. There is a huge difference. I can't believe this is the top post when the logic is so flawed.

this reminds me of legally blonde, where she's arguing about a dude's sperm.

To all the people who say 'no way' that potential life could a potential serial killer. True fact: Hitler's mother was going to get an abortion but her doctor urged her out of it. Could have saved many lives.

@1519447

...You're right. That is a good idea.

And yes, I recognize the sarcasm. :{)

@...You're right. That is a good idea. And yes, I recognize the sarcasm. :{)

Gasp... It didn't recognize my mustache smiley face! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

@To all the people who say 'no way' that potential life could a potential serial killer. True fact: Hitler's mother...

That's not a true fact, just something someone made up because it would be an interesting situation. Maybe you should add that the doctor was Jewish, it would spice up the story a bit.

AntiJokeChickens avatar AntiJokeChicken Yeah You Are +4Reply

...So? What if Martin Luther King's mother had an abortion? I'm not very fond of abortion, mind, but I find that argument stupid.

Yeah, but Hitler could also have grown up to find the cure for cancer and ended up saving more lives than he ruined in reality. You can't just kill someone just because they could do something bad.

I..I don't know. It's really hard for me to pick a side on really important issues like this.

@Shun I..I don't know. It's really hard for me to pick a side on really important issues like this.

Me too, I can see both sides of the issue here... Like they're both just as good arguments as each others

I don't get what you mean when you say a woman is wasting potential when she isn't pregnant. Are you trying to compare menstruation to abortion by saying menstruating is the body getting rid of a potential child? That is not an accurate comparison because in an abortion the egg is fertilized and will become a child if all goes well, whereas is menstruation you have an egg that may not even be viable and will not become a child.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ No Way +3Reply
@_Jojo_ I don't get what you mean when you say a woman is wasting potential when she isn't pregnant. Are you trying to...

Actually, if you read carefully and study up on this post, you might notice it's a joke, intended to cause laughter or a smile.

TristantheGreats avatar TristantheGreat Yeah You Are -1Reply

Does reading six new abortion posts everyday make anyone else want to punch babies.. Or is that just me?

i just got nasty with your mom...sorry but you told me to

yupperss avatar yuppers Yeah You Are +3Reply

UNICORNS!!! :D

No one argues that abortion is cutting of "potential" life.
They argue that abortion cuts off definite life.
If a woman is already pregnant it is not the same as a non-pregnant woman refraining from becoming pregnant. Your argument is a fallacy.

@No one argues that abortion is cutting of "potential" life. They argue that abortion cuts off definite life. If a...

Actually, it is only a potential life. If it was definite life, abortion wouldn't be legal. A fetus isn't guarenteed to survive.

@Jules Actually, it is only a potential life. If it was definite life, abortion wouldn't be legal. A fetus isn't...

neither is a month year old baby. Does that baby not have a life? is it only a potential life?

@1270351

25 months old duh

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Jules *13?

ahh dammit, I have 2 years old on the brain because my sister is almost 2.

@1270351

(isn't guaranteed to survive)

@1270373

basically, who is to decide when potential life ends and "real" life begins? why should fetuses not be treated like babies on the basis that fetuses aren't guaranteed to survive whereas babies are also not guaranteed to survive.

@1270405

i gotcha... i feel silly. Things sound better in my head. (thanks for the vote up on my restaurant post btw)

@1270404

oh, my bad. I didn't see that when i typed or when I read your comment...

@Owenfc neither is a month year old baby. Does that baby not have a life? is it only a potential life?

Once you are born, you are considered alive. A fetus is a potential life, it hasn't been born. A lot more can go wrong for a fetus than for an infant. Mothers don't even announce a pregnancy (or are instructed not to) until the first trimester is over, because miscarriages are so common during that time. I think people who try to compare a fetus to a baby are desperate for an example. If birth wasn't the moment of life, we would celebrate conception days, instead of birthdays.

@Jules Once you are born, you are considered alive. A fetus is a potential life, it hasn't been born. A lot more can go...

A lot of times we don't even know the exact conception date. For thousands of years, it was "oh, I missed my period. A baby's coming." Yes, I understand more can go wrong with a fetus than a baby, but that doesn't discredit the validity of that baby's life. People in open heart surgery have a lower chance of surviving, but that doesn't mean they're less alive. (That's not the strongest argument.) By the way, a baby isn't an example of a fetus, a fetus IS a baby.

@Owenfc A lot of times we don't even know the exact conception date. For thousands of years, it was "oh, I missed my...

A fetus can become a baby. Fetus=unborn; baby=born. I'm a "life begins at birth" thinker, you're "life begins at conception" thinker (observantly, of course. Personally, I would only get an abortion if there was rape. Abortion has been around for centuries, and won't go away. I think it is sick (like non attached parts of a fetus tossed in a dumpster is fucked up) but I know people will do it. My only point is, a fetus is a potential life, there's no guarentee of birth, without birth there's no life. An obituary could read, "d.o.b: 01/01/11; death 01/01/11" but you'll never see a fetus in the paper, that is a miscarriage. You have to be born to die, and that distinguishes life.

@Jules A fetus can become a baby. Fetus=unborn; baby=born. I'm a "life begins at birth" thinker, you're "life begins at...

but that's only something that society made up. And it breaks that rule when it says a pregnant woman being shot is double murder.

A baby one day before its born. Can you honestly say it's not alive?

@Owenfc but that's only something that society made up. And it breaks that rule when it says a pregnant woman being shot is...

You got me with the double murder... but, you would never know it was one day before being born. Most abortions are carried out early, anyway. Late term abortions are normally done to protect the mother from harm. That's why I'm all for legal abortion. The later you get in pregnancy the closer it is to being a baby. If abortion is illegal, women would get them anyway, but late term abortions would be done for "bad" reasons, and would become more frequent.

@Jules You got me with the double murder... but, you would never know it was one day before being born. Most abortions are...

okay, but say woman was pregnant woman was pregnant for 8 and a half months. Is her baby even a little bit alive?

@Owenfc okay, but say woman was pregnant woman was pregnant for 8 and a half months. Is her baby even a little bit alive?

I don't think you can be a little bit alive. You either are or you aren't. And I just don't believe you are alive 'til you are born. I would like to add (not sure how relevant...) that I have a 3 year old daughter, and while I was pregnant I got to hear her heartbeat, and feel her kick, and she CONSTANTLY had the hiccups, so, I know the experience. At the beginning I wasn't sure if she would survive, and didn't feel a closeness (didn't even feel pregnant) towards the end her movements verified she was in there, and I grew attached, but still didn't know if she would survive. I was completely prepared to miscarry, or have a still birth. Some would say feeling movement shows she's alive, but she wasn't alive til she cried. That verified it. And, since the beginning is so unknown I can see how people get abortions at that stage, you aren't connected. But I'll go your way towards the end of it, no, I don't think it is alive, but by then you're prepared that it will be. But choice aborti...

@Jules I don't think you can be a little bit alive. You either are or you aren't. And I just don't believe you are alive...

I think, when it gets a heartbeat, it is alive. THAT should define when a baby starts living. Life, for however long, is still life. If a one month old baby dies because it's not 'guaranteed life', it was still life at one point.

The double murder for a pregnant woman is usually only applied after an abortion is illegal anyway (before the second trimester it still only counts as one person). Most places in the world you won't be charged with double murder no matter how far along the pregnancy is.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are +4Reply

We celebrate birth days because coeption is not as miraculous. But because so much can go wrong the birth itself is a miracle.

@lookitup We celebrate birth days because coeption is not as miraculous. But because so much can go wrong the birth itself...

No, like Owenfc said, we celebrate birthdays because conception is hard, if not impossible to date. But, i think you missed my point.

@Jules No, like Owenfc said, we celebrate birthdays because conception is hard, if not impossible to date. But, i think...

as soon as there is blood flowing through that small fetus (which I believe to be before a month) I believe it to be alive. Personally I believe it to be murder after conception.

@lookitup as soon as there is blood flowing through that small fetus (which I believe to be before a month) I believe it to...

It is during the 4th month that the fetus' bone marrow starts producing its' own blood supply. So according to your beliefs, it isn't even alive when choice abortions are taking place.

that's not a fallacy, the potential/definite life depends on your opinion and how you classify it.

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm pro choice, but even I'll admit this post sucks. That's not their argument. It's only once the sperm and egg have met that it's murder in their eyes. Not potential murder lol

It's not potential life, it's life. You can't say that a living sperm cell unites with a living egg cell and then die to possibly live again

@Brettward95 Technically a fertilized egg does not always result in a baby.

When does it become a "baby"? When it has arms and legs or has a beating heart?
A fertilized egg is still a human, just not developed yet.

@Nerris When does it become a "baby"? When it has arms and legs or has a beating heart? A fertilized egg is still a human...

Yes, but it is still possible for this to never happen. Even if this does happen. It's possible this baby will never be born. It's also possible for this baby to kill the mother.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Brettward95 Yes, but it is still possible for this to never happen. Even if this does happen. It's possible this baby will...

Giving the logic that the baby might die in the womb is the equivalent of saying someone who drives a car might die today on their way to work. Anyone might die tomorrow.

Yes, but we're not talking about medical threats to the mother.

@Nerris Giving the logic that the baby might die in the womb is the equivalent of saying someone who drives a car might die...

Sorry. I just wanted to bring up that point because it's my trump card. I can see where you're coming from and there are perfectly logical arguments for both sides. I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are 0Reply

ErialcYecatss avatar ErialcYecats Yeah You Are +2Reply

There is actually no similarity between the two. You already made a baby, then you kill it. If you don't make a baby you aren't killing anything. You're pretty stupid if you can't grasp that concept.

As a non-religious pro-life advocate, I found this fucking hilarious. y smilie

AwkwardMoments1s avatar AwkwardMoments1 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Perhaps some people should look up pictures of an aborted fetus, I'm very neutral on this topic, but some pictures can be rather disturbing.

@Sturminator Perhaps some people should look up pictures of an aborted fetus, I'm very neutral on this topic, but some pictures...

I went to the bodies exhibit. I saw actual fetuses in various stages of development (I even saw a baby inside a womb) in jars. I'm still very much pro choice.

@twisted_memories I went to the bodies exhibit. I saw actual fetuses in various stages of development (I even saw a baby inside a...

Like I said, I'm neutral on this. In my eyes whether this is moral or immoral, the government doesn't really have any right to be involved in that choice.

In my opinion, adoption is the answer no matter what the circumstances.

If you are raped and find yourself pregnant, then I suppose it should be your decision to make.
I think the right choice would be to give birth to the child instead of killing it before it's had a chance to live. You could then put it up for adoption, or even raise it as your own if you think you're capable.

Yes, it would suck giving birth to a baby you didn't ask for, but life isn't fair.
I don't think I could personally live with the guilt of knowing that I allowed potential life to be killed.

If you have unprotected sex and then decide to abort your babies, that is not okay.
The purpose of sex is to make life. Having sex then killing the life you make is wrong.

Basically, I think abortion is very wrong.
However, I am neutral on whether it should be ILLEGAL or not.

@gene In my opinion, adoption is the answer no matter what the circumstances. If you are raped and find yourself...

Adoption is not the magic solution. The foster system is overcrowded, and many of the foster "parents" are corrupt. Unless it is a predetermined adoption (and even then, you never know what could happen) a child put up for adoption does not always have a decent life after.

@rilara Adoption is not the magic solution. The foster system is overcrowded, and many of the foster "parents" are corrupt...

Non-decent life > no life at all

And it won't matter how corrupt the foster parents are because once the child turns 18 he/she will be able to move out and do whatever he/she wants.

@gene Non-decent life > no life at all And it won't matter how corrupt the foster parents are because once the child...

Yes, with no support system, no money, and no place to live, because you are shoved out of the system at 18.

@rilara Yes, with no support system, no money, and no place to live, because you are shoved out of the system at 18.

I guess that's true.
But even then I'll repeat what I said before.
Non-decent life > No life at all
And even then, there are many loving parents who would love to take care of a child in need. Not all foster parents are bad.

@gene I guess that's true. But even then I'll repeat what I said before. Non-decent life > No life at all And even then...

I know, and I'm actually on the fence about abortion, but I just don't think that people should act as if everything will be all right if a mother has her baby.

@rilara I know, and I'm actually on the fence about abortion, but I just don't think that people should act as if...

Not everything will always be alright, but it will usually be better than if the baby is never given a chance.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
If it gets a great foster family, awesome!
If it gets a crappy one, that's too bad.
Being killed before getting a chance to live? That's too bad too.
At least with them being born they have a chance to get an awesome family.

@gene Not everything will always be alright, but it will usually be better than if the baby is never given a chance. "You...

True. I don't think we can ever resolve this, there are too many things to think about. Agree to disagree?

@rilara True. I don't think we can ever resolve this, there are too many things to think about. Agree to disagree?

I agree. This will never be peacefully resolved. It's impossible to please everyone. :(

abortion post as potd?..
OH SHIT

Good POTD. Very controversial. Really got everyone to voice their opinion. In my opinion, under certain circumstances abortion is ok. It's not a good thing. but i could understand under certain circumstances. If you were raped, you'll die, or have a job where you couldn't be pregnant, then I understand that you COULD get an abortion. But if you had a rough orgy and got pregnant, that's your own damn fault. Have the fuckin kid. Abortion is still taking a human life. But I am not against, nor with abortion

DarthJaders avatar DarthJader Yeah You Are +1Reply

So, you're saying that all girls should get pregnant by now?

Drineys avatar Driney Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Driney

Not to say I believe in that, it just popped into my head.
Since everyone else is spewing opinions, I shall too. As a woman it is my choice to govern my own body, and my fetus. That gives me 9-11 weeks before I decide whether to abort it, for I don't consider it a human until after that point. I believe that medically needed abortions are in a whole different category, of necessity rather than early abortion and choice. Abortion should not be considered illegal, it is a choice, but people should also be taught every way they have available to protect themselves from pregnancy, because abortion is not just a back up birth control to have to be used more than (hopefully) once in a lifetime.

Drineys avatar Driney Yeah You Are 0Reply

Let's put it this way - If someone was in a coma and the family decide to let them go for the best, why isn't that considered murder? Because said person isn't in the right state of mind to make their own choice, leaving his/her family to it. Just like how a fetus isn't even developed enough to think for itself. If the doctor says that when the baby is born its chance of living is very small, along with the fact that the mother may also die during the process of birth, would you risk the mother's life just so that she can give birth to a dead baby? Of course, it depends on the situation - If this woman got pregnant because of her own foolish mistakes, then it's her responsibility to deliver this child and care for it.

I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but a fetus is technically a parasite. It feeds off of a host. Now if you have a leach because you got into a river, you can kill it. No one tells you "well you got into the river, and it needs you to live, so it's your fault and your responsibility" so why tell a woman she can't have an abortion?

stacilovesyous avatar stacilovesyou Yeah You Are 0Reply
@stacilovesyou I hope this doesn't sound morbid, but a fetus is technically a parasite. It feeds off of a host. Now if you have a...

Hi, no. A parasite is a malicious organism that feeds off of a host, to the host's detriment. A fetus is neither COMPLETELY malicious, nor beneficial to the host (mother).

@Cuban_B Not all parasites are malicious and harmful. Just saying.

In different ways, not always physically.

par·a·site/ˈparəˌsīt/
Noun:
1.An organism that lives in or on another organism (its host) and benefits by deriving nutrients at the host's expense.
2.A person who habitually relies on or exploits others and gives nothing in return.

Yep yep. It's like how we have millions of bacteria and parasites in our intestines and we actually benefit from it. If they left the intestine we'd be totally f***** though.

@Dinosaurs Hi, no. A parasite is a malicious organism that feeds off of a host, to the host's detriment. A fetus is neither...

That's funny, I'd say the morning sickness, sore knees, aching back, swollen stomach and inability to sit or stand properly due to said sore knees, aching back and swollen stomach might be considered harm...

but the parasite and the host can't be of the same species un smilie
so technically it's NOT a parasite even though it has characteristics of one.

A fetus is not a potential for life, it IS a life that has not yet reached its potential.

@1519763

ARE YOU A TROLL?

@ARE YOU A TROLL?

NO. THIS SHIT IS TRUE. I FOUND IT OUT FROM THIS GROUP! http://www.americannaziparty.com/

I find it ironic that a lot of people who are pro-life are also for the death penalty. Of course it's only ironic when the people who are pro-life believe abortion is murder and that murder is always wrong. But that seems to be the main reason why people are pro-life...

@im pro life and anti death penalty

I said a lot of people. Not everyone. I was mainly talking about the whole stereotypical Conservative Texan stance of being anti-abortion because murder is always wrong while having an express lane to the electric chair. That's an exaggeration of course; I don't even know if they use the electric chair.

@pikabeau I said a lot of people. Not everyone. I was mainly talking about the whole stereotypical Conservative Texan stance...

By that logic you are comparing a criminal to an unborn baby. How does an unborn baby commit a crime?

@Sturminator By that logic you are comparing a criminal to an unborn baby. How does an unborn baby commit a crime?

Are you justifying murder? Yeah, criminals have done bad things, but they could change. What makes their life any less than the life of an unborn baby?

@pikabeau Are you justifying murder? Yeah, criminals have done bad things, but they could change. What makes their life any...

To be honest, no, In my opinion, the death penalty is too risky to be done. With all the innocent people that have been jailed by accident, we can't risk killing them. I think a life sentence is a much worst punishment anyway. When it comes to abortion my stance is that I find it kind of immoral, BUT I feel that the government should have no part in a woman's body and that decision is hers. Their are parts of society that the government should stay out of and this is one of those cases.

yea i see what you mean
and i think the electric chair might be legal there but i don't know for sure :/

A fetus deserves more recognition than "potential". This logic sucks.

My baby nephew was born at 24 weeks when he was, technically, still a fetus. If my sister-in-law had wanted to she could have aborted him then instead of giving birth. He is a perfectly viable little boy. He has had to have a few surgeries and had oxygen for his first few months, but he's doing good now and will come home in about a month.
They are babies no matter what age. Babies like my nephew Maveric are the proof.

riris avatar riri No Way 0Reply

Abortion is a toughie. I do fall more on the pro-life side but it's not a black and white issue.

That being said, I disagree with your reasoning. Aborting a fetus is different than menstruating. People have already argued the science behind this, so to put it simply:

If you aren't pregnant, there won't be a baby in 9 months. If you are pregnant, there will be. The argument is that abortion interfers with life that will be born if all goes well.

@Abortion is a toughie. I do fall more on the pro-life side but it's not a black and white issue. That being said...

Though the logic in this post is flawed, it doesn't even mention menstruating. It just says that every moment a women isn't pregnant is a moment she could potentially be pregnant and if she is not pregnant she is squashing that potential, thus getting rid of the potential for her would be baby to cure cancer or whatever. Yeah, it's stupid and illogical, but it makes sense if you look at it from a totally illogical stand point.

@pikabeau Though the logic in this post is flawed, it doesn't even mention menstruating. It just says that every moment a...

Menstruating is implied, is it not? The post is talking about wasted potential by women who could be pregnant -- only women who are menstruating have that potential.

I was just using a different way to describe the situation. I could have easily said 'Aborting a fetus is different than not being pregnant' and it would've meant the same thing.

@1269975

If you're not mature enough to handle a child or have sex, you probably are not at all mature enough to become a parent so it would be cruel for the government to force you to give birth against your will.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +19Reply
@fEMMAnist If you're not mature enough to handle a child or have sex, you probably are not at all mature enough to become a...

It's also pretty cruel to kill a baby. If you choose to have sex you should have to face the events that will come from that decision.

@Owenfc It's also pretty cruel to kill a baby. If you choose to have sex you should have to face the events that will come...

There are lots of ways of dealing with the consequences and women should choose the option that is best for their situation whether it be abortion, adoption, or raising the child. Abortion probably isn't the best option most of the time, but it's not my place to decide that for someone else.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +8Reply
@fEMMAnist There are lots of ways of dealing with the consequences and women should choose the option that is best for their...

I'd love to say it's just the mother's decision of what to do with her own body; however, it isn't just her body. There's a baby involved now. The decision isn't personal, and it's not just her own life anymore.

@Owenfc I'd love to say it's just the mother's decision of what to do with her own body; however, it isn't just her body...

So who should be the one to decide whether (or when) a woman can get an abortion? The week old fetus itself? Random people in the government? People on the internet?
I think the woman herself, with the guidance of doctor and her family is the most qualified person to determine what is best for her and her family.
If the choice to become a parent or not is not a personal choice, what is a personal choice. As a general rule, anything that involves a woman's vagina at all is a personal choice.

@fEMMAnist So who should be the one to decide whether (or when) a woman can get an abortion? The week old fetus itself? Random...

when is it ever ok to kill an innocent human being? It isn't. There is no acceptable reason to murder an innocent baby.

I think people should make this decision based on what is best for the unborn child. I think it's pretty safe to assume the fetus doesn't want to be killed.

Abortion isn't choosing whether or not you're a parent; that decision was made when you were impregnated. It's not a personal choice when you decide to kill your own child. If the parent chooses to kill her own child it only makes sense that someone else has to step in and stop her.

There's people that do evil, and people that look unto evil and say nothing.

@Owenfc I think people should make this decision based on what is best for the unborn child. I think it's pretty safe to...

Actually, it's pretty safe to assume that the fetus is not self-aware. And it's your opinion that abortion is "evil" is pretty dumb, considering that it's not actually evil.

TheAwkwardOnes avatar TheAwkwardOne Yeah You Are +9Reply
@TheAwkwardOne Actually, it's pretty safe to assume that the fetus is not self-aware. And it's your opinion that abortion is...

I'm not even going to get into the circular reasoning you just laid down, but I will say that babies aren't really self aware until well after they are born, so, unless it's okay with to kill babies under a year old, self awareness shouldn't be a factor. Besides, even though they're not self-aware doesn't mean they have an instinctual will to live.

@TheAwkwardOne But see, they're already born, so there would be no reason to kill it anyway.

All i'm saying is it's not okay to kill a fetus because it's not self aware in the same way that it's not okay to kill babies that are also not self aware. And do you think that the only reason people have abortions just to avoid childbirth?

I totally agree with you, what if a person constantly committed infancy and got in no trouble? Wouldn't people react differently if it was a newborn child? They should just imagine if their parents resorted to abortion...

@1270292

If you had sex when you shouldn't have had sex, giving birth to a child will do absolutely nothing to improve your situation. As fun as it is to say bad things about teens who have sex (the horror!), it won't save the lives of those precious embryos. You can't just take a way a person's ability to control their own body, pregnancy, and future because you disapprove of their sex life.

@1270339

You obviously haven't had sex before..

@1270339

I don't know why you have such a problem with people having sex (especially without intending to have children). However, I don't think it should play a part in this debate. Opposing abortion because you support the rights of fetuses is one thing but opposing abortion because you don't think sexually active women should be given certain freedoms is completely different.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +16Reply
@1270339

Yeah, force a woman to have a baby she doesn't want, that'll teach her! And don't worry, the kid will grow up great with no psychological problems. Won't be fucked up at all with a mother who hates her...

[/sarcasm]

@1269975

So we should only have sex if you're trying to get pregnant? :/ I agree with the first part but not the second.

@GiggityGoo22 So we should only have sex if you're trying to get pregnant? :/ I agree with the first part but not the second.

No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be aware that having a child could be caused by it.

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way +15Reply
@1270140

dolphins enjoy sex. or so i've heard.

@1270342

How is such a study pointless? The fact that dolphins recreationally have sex could be linked to a theory about dolphin evolution or some shit.

Vitaes avatar Vitae Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1270140

But not that many other animals wait to reproduce until YEARS AFTER THEY REACH SEXUAL MATURITY. We have sexual urges so that our species will survive, but things have changed because society has created monogamous relationships and families instead, so people wait to reproduce. But that doesn't get rid of sexual drive.

enders avatar ender Yeah You Are +9Reply
@1270140

Clearly you have never owned a non-neutered dog

laikas avatar laika Yeah You Are +8Reply

I believe that abortion is wrong because it's denying someone the right to life. Even if you abort it before it's technically "alive"(before it has a functioning brain), barring an unfortunate accident like a miscarriage, that embryo would still be born and be baby Johnny Smith, and then little John Smith and so on. So by aborting a baby, you're saying "Sorry, but you don't fit my life plans enough to exist."

@I believe that abortion is wrong because it's denying someone the right to life. Even if you abort it before it's...

Safe to assume you're vegetarian, then? Or do cows and pigs not fit in your plans enough to exist?

@Safe to assume you're vegetarian, then? Or do cows and pigs not fit in your plans enough to exist?

Not a vegetarian. Actually, killing an animal for food would be saying that they are vastly important to your plan, as you need them to survive.

What you don't seem to understand is that your definition of 'life' isn't the same as everyone else's. "What would the baby your about to abort say about this?" Nothing, because it could survive independently. What makes you think you can put the rights of that baby ahead of the rights of that woman? At the point where abortions are still legal, that baby is part of it's mothers body, not it's own person. At that point, it's not a person, it's a possibility. One that can be accepted or denied. Maybe you think it's irresponsible for a woman to have unsafe sex when she knew what could happen. But abortions aren't murder, and she should have the right to do what she wants with her own body. You can't take that away from her.

Someone's using some Straw Man Logic. The Christian argument isn't that the Fetus has the POTENTIAL to be life, but rather that it IS life. If a woman is pregnant and is killed, this is treated as a double homicide. However, if she deems that her baby is not a person, then murder is justified. This just doesn't seem right to me; that someone with a finite understanding should be allowed to play God.

@rerisenphoenix Someone's using some Straw Man Logic. The Christian argument isn't that the Fetus has the POTENTIAL to be life...

I dislike having God in arguments. But wouldn't God know what life would be born? I know I'm pretty much assuming that he cares but why would he spend a "life" or "soul" or w/e on a child that he knew would never be born.

@1519529

Even if it is illegal people will still do it. When it comes to something like this you can't stop people.

In b4 angry debate about abortion
troll smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are -4Reply
@Favvkes In b4 angry debate about abortion

You can't inb4 something that's already happened.

@Dinosaurs You can't inb4 something that's already happened.

What about the troll face do you not understand?

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are -1Reply
@Favvkes What about the troll face do you not understand?

So if you inb4 something that's already happened and add the trollface, suddenly you're a prophet?

Your reasoning doesn't make sense to me. :/ Don't explain it to me.

I want to vote this post up because it's funny but then again I want to vote it down cause I disagree hmmm decisions decisions

@

I wonder how many candy bars mommy gave her to spit out that bullshit

stacilovesyous avatar stacilovesyou Yeah You Are +5Reply
@stacilovesyou I wonder how many candy bars mommy gave her to spit out that bullshit

Yeah, you're totally right. It's impossible for a child to have an opinion of their own.

Not to argue or call this a fraud, but i think this was written out for her because i notice she keeps looking down and once in a while you can hear the flip of a page. Oh and to answer yer question, it was probably one candy bar per page or per minute.

Ravens avatar Raven Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Raven Not to argue or call this a fraud, but i think this was written out for her because i notice she keeps looking down...

It sounds like a school presentation because she said students and teachers. That's probably why it was written down.

More abortion posts? Really???? My god people, if you are going to post the same stupid crap (right or not) 1,000,000X then at least post it in Vietnamese or Swahili!

@1270144

google translate... I'm hoping that the inaccuracies would cause some funny side arguments.

If a baby was born prematurely, at say five months, an age when it is possible for the child to survive (it's happened), and an age when in many places you can get a legal abortion, and I walked into the Neonatal department and killed that baby, using a knife or a painless injection, I would go to jail for life.

The location, size, age, or degree of dependency does not allow for the taking of a human life.

If your especially small and senile granny is living in your back room, and you're not financially ready to take care of her, or you just don't have room in your life, you're not allowed to kill her!

Logic, people!

@leeshafishyy If a baby was born prematurely, at say five months, an age when it is possible for the child to survive (it's...

You don't have to pay out the ass to get ultrasounds and tests and end up birthing your granny, I hope.

HAS ANYBODY READ A TEXTBOOK. Babies have EVERY characteristic of birthed babies including the ability to feel pain, therefore a fetus is alive. Straight, cold, hard science absolutely devoid of religion.

@1269979

You must be new here.

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way +6Reply
@Eminna You must be new here.

dude i didnt mean true like literally the post was true you people know what i meant why do you insist on being difficult

danilols avatar danilol Yeah You Are +1Reply
@danilol dude i didnt mean true like literally the post was true you people know what i meant why do you insist on being...

why do you insist on not adding any punctuation like omg you're so difficult like literally

Eminnas avatar Eminna No Way +6Reply

who gives a fuck. we're all gonna die anyways. and once we're dead, we won't even know it. there's no life after death.

@who gives a fuck. we're all gonna die anyways. and once we're dead, we won't even know it. there's no life after death.

Someone just HAD to throw that in, didn't they. It's okay though, everyone should have been expecting it anyways.

Really? So its perfectly okay to just go around and kill anyone in your way, because they are going to die some day anyway?

yeahyeahs avatar yeahyeah No Way +20Reply

It's not potential life, it's life. It's a human and it's alive.

i can't tell if you're trolling=/

@CherryCherryBoomBoom i can't tell if you're trolling=/

why would they be trolling? its a valid opinion that apparently many people agree with.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +18Reply

well, i can't tell if you're trolling either

laikas avatar laika Yeah You Are -7Reply
@laika well, i can't tell if you're trolling either

reminds me of the big bang theory, was that sarcasm? Nooooo, was that sarcasm? Yes... Was THAT sarcasm?!

Nope it's not you.and the abortion posts are just stupid. They make no sense. A fetus has potential to be a human being a woman who isn't impregnated has no potential what so ever so this logic is just retard!

@1269986

Proper Grammar is an endangered species at this point.

God_the_Almightys avatar God_the_Almighty Yeah You Are +33Reply
@God_the_Almighty Proper Grammar is an endangered species at this point.

There are a lot of endangered species. Who can we thank for that? You dick.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +20Reply
@Brettward95 There are a lot of endangered species. Who can we thank for that? You dick.

You're right. It was ME who hunted them to near extinction, not you guys. I definitely didn't put them on Earth in the first place. YOU GUYS did all that stuff, I just kill them for their furs and shit.

God_the_Almightys avatar God_the_Almighty Yeah You Are +29Reply
@Brettward95 Hey god. I got something for you. It's a joke, take it.

Some one is going to hell when they die. I'm not going to name names though

@Davidplante Some one is going to hell when they die. I'm not going to name names though

It's ok. According to many Christians I was already going to hell. Might as well make it worth it.

@Brettward95 Wait. Why am I going to hell, according to you?

Because you called god a dick and told him to take a joke very rudely buti was really just joking about that post and a side from you going to hell are you (this is on a completely different topic) homosexual

@Davidplante Because you called god a dick and told him to take a joke very rudely buti was really just joking about that post...

Haha. No. The reason Christians think I'm going to hell, is that I'm Jewish. Geez can't a guy wear a cheerleader uniform without being labeled gay.

@Brettward95 Haha. No. The reason Christians think I'm going to hell, is that I'm Jewish. Geez can't a guy wear a cheerleader...

It wasn't that you are wearing a cheerleading uniform it's just the pose you are doing and why would you go to hell if your Jewish your gods chosen people

@Davidplante It wasn't that you are wearing a cheerleading uniform it's just the pose you are doing and why would you go to hell...

The pose was making fun of girls poses in every picture. And I hope so, but the Christians don't think that.

@1519737

How the fuck did I just triple post that?

@Nope it's not you.and the abortion posts are just stupid. They make no sense. A fetus has potential to be a human...

"being a woman who isn't impregnated has no potential what so ever" that's exactly the point, good job

laikas avatar laika Yeah You Are +61Reply