+228

One of the most naïve things you can assume is that if a person is part of an oppressed group, that they themselves will not oppress others, amirite?

Simons avatar
4 11
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I love you for spelling naïve right.
Also, agreed.

Inspiration for the post was

-I watched some thing about white supremesists, and the women were far more vicious than the men when they was talking, and I realised it was because they were more than likely forced into 1920's gender roles themselves.

-One Flew Over The Cuckoo's nest, where the black men who work at the mental hospital abuse the patients - because being black men in the 1940, they were powerless, so instead of having some kinship with another oppressed group (the mental patients) they used to the small amount of power they had against them.

-In GayTimes magazine last year, the racist UK group, has around 100 gay members. Gay people, who still today don't have a lot of civil rights, try to use the little power they have being born with white skin, to take rights away from minorities.

It's a cycle - you'd assume that if someone knows what it feels like to be discriminated against and oppressed, that they would have a stronger sense of justice, but that isn't true.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +6Reply
@Simon Inspiration for the post was -I watched some thing about white supremesists, and the women were far more vicious...

I think it was you who showed me a video about gay rights opposition protests and in it was mentioned that there are quite a lot of black people opposed to gay rights even though not that long ago they were fighting for their own marrage rights.

SpearmintMilks avatar SpearmintMilk Yeah You Are 0Reply
@SpearmintMilk I think it was you who showed me a video about gay rights opposition protests and in it was mentioned that there...

Yeah, there were some pictures about it in the folders I sent you.
"Ignorance: Now in Colour" and stuff.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Simon Yeah, there were some pictures about it in the folders I sent you. "Ignorance: Now in Colour" and stuff.

'gay marriage rights. Oh yeah! But I watched a video too, that had interviews and footage of pro and anti prostests, can't remember what it was called... Which isn't very helpful because it relates nicely to this post.

Ehh. I guess.

@Shadi Ehh. I guess.

(Chauncy Pickles): Thanks for the enthusiasm, Chauncy m'boy.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply