+132

Smokers don't smoke to look cool and they never have. They smoke for the same reason students eat Ramen noodles; they know it's awfully unhealthy, yet they still do it for enjoyment, amirite?

Nacklefoodles avatar
8 44
The voters have decided that Nacklefoodle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Students eat Ramen because it's inexpensive and it's some form of sustenance. Smokers smoke because they're addicted, even if they can't afford the habit.

@ZombieBandwagon Not everybody that smokes is an addict.

Indeed.. I smoked mostly because of boredom and because I enjoyed it. Now I just smoke socially and don't buy my usual pack a week. Does smoking once or twice a month make me addicted to smoking? No.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1286592

Where I live (Austria), smoking is still considered "cool". That's how I started.

@1286592

I did not argue why either of the two got hooked, and I hadn't even mentioned that. I was talking about why they continue. They continue plainly because they like it, no matter how wrong it is to do so.
I made this post after seeing multiple instances of people thinking smokers SMOKE because they think it looks cool, for example http://www.amirite.net/107492
Sure, they might as well have started because it looked cool to them.
I'm not arguing that in the slightest.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Nacklefoodle I did not argue why either of the two got hooked, and I hadn't even mentioned that. I was talking about why they...

I know people who continue smoking because it's cool. I overheard a conversation between two classmates not long ago. "I think I might quit smoking" > "But smoking is cool ..." > "Yeah, I know". And then of course they're addicted, but they still do it because they think it's cool.

@Nacklefoodle Lol well those are just stupid kids, that's an exception.

Sure. Your post is still incorrect, since it's a false generalization.

@Bardagi Sure. Your post is still incorrect, since it's a false generalization.

Psht, with this reason you could call every post incorrect, since posts don't include unnecessary and obvious exceptions.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Bardagi Nope. I don't think this is an unnecessary or uncommon exception.

Ok, sorry then, next time I'll just say "Smokers don't smoke to look cool and they never have, except those teenage idiots that do smoke to look cool. AVERAGE smokers smoke for the same reason students eat Ramen noodles; they know it's awfully unhealthy, yet they still do it for enjoyment, amirite? " because that sounds as nice as the original post.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are 0Reply

Except Ramen Noodles don't cause cancer....yet.

Pack of smokes: $10 where I live.

Pack of Ramen: $0.20

Having a bad breath is so fun.

I smoked my first cigarette because one of the cool guys from my school offered me one. Almost every smoker that I asked said they started because they considered it "cool".

Students eat ramen noodles because it's cheap and they are hungry

Some middle-schooler seriously told me, "I think I'm gonna start smoking." I'm like... what? What the hell?

Most people smoke because they're either addicted or the nicotine calms their nerves. They try it because they were usually pressured or wanted to look cool. Students eat a lot of ramen because they have crappy jobs that pay minimum wage. Eating Ramen everyday is pretty much the only way to eat AND have a place to live.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +15Reply

Are you kidding? People start for the stupidest reasons.
Hell, I know some people who started out of boredom.
To be fair, it was in the midst of a civil war.
But still.

Francoiss avatar Francois No Way +13Reply

Lulz. Yeah, people smoke because it's fun.... The only fun part is being calm. Who said cancer and smelling terrible was fun? Ramen is delicious, cheap and quick.

I started smoking because my mom smoked and I wanted to know the attraction. Most of my friends who smoke have parents who smoke too. And most people who I know that smoke also tend to hang out with other smokers. I wouldn't say it's "peer pressure" per say, no one ever asked me if I wanted one, but I knew they were calming, I liked the smell, and the all the sudden I'm smoking and getting nicotine and getting addicted to my own endorphins. And I don't want to quit either. I don't smoke outside if I can help it, I don't smoke around people who don't want me to smoke around them, but I love the wat they taste, I love the way the smoke smells, and I love the smell it leaves on my fingers.

@I started smoking because my mom smoked and I wanted to know the attraction. Most of my friends who smoke have...

Thank you! I think you're the first person who commented on this actually agreeing with me!
And you wouldn't eat Ramen if you just saw it in stores being disgusting and cheap and unhealthy, you woud start if all your friends (or parents) enjoyed it. But you would CONTINUE because you started to enjoy it yourself.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are -5Reply

Mmmmm I'm gonna go make some Ramen after reading this.

@Mmmmm I'm gonna go make some Ramen after reading this.

(:]): Update: I was, sadly, out of Ramen so I had to make some microwavable frozen ravioli instead. It wasn't as good as Ramen would have been. :(

People eat Ramen noodles to save money for pot and beer haha

i smoke cigarettes because they go so well with weed

I didn't start to look cool. Hell, only two of my friends know I smoke and that's because they saw it in my pocket. I started cause I heard that it calms you down when you're stressed and I was going through some pretty bad times.

@StoneColdCarlll I didn't start to look cool. Hell, only two of my friends know I smoke and that's because they saw it in my pocket...

No one said looking cool is the sole reason people start. There are peope like you who start for logical reasons, certainly, we're only arguing that looking cool only makes people START smoking, never continue it.

The chicken has laid his egg!

@1645165

Lol why are you posting to the OP speaking of the OP in third person? Anyway, I understand why they comment, I just hate that there are so many. They're all saying the same thing anyway.
And it is true.

Nacklefoodles avatar Nacklefoodle Yeah You Are -1Reply
@1645168

I was just arguing against the common belief "Lol smokers are stupid smoking doesnt make them look cool why do they do it"

I'll have to be pretty fucking poor before I eat Ramen.

Lol WTF all of you? Seriously, each one of you NW'ers has read my post as "Smokers don't start smoking to look cool..." while that's absolutely not the case. Sure, they might have. But for a similar reason people try ramen, do they not? It's incredibly unhealthy, it doesn't look that delicious, but seeing so many thousands of people eating it and enjoying it, your age, makes you want to try it.

No matter what got you hooked, you continue to eat Ramen for the same reason you continue to smoke cigarettes.
The argument is that they do not continue because they think it's cool.

@Nacklefoodle Lol WTF all of you? Seriously, each one of you NW'ers has read my post as "Smokers don't start smoking to look...

Wow, this was one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Despite what you think, many people DO start smoking because they think they will become cooler or more accepted. As said above, the reason they continue is because they are physically addicted. And, no, people eat ramen because they like it. I've never heard of anyone eating ramen because of peer pressure and then being addicted. People eat it because it's tasty and cheap, and provides some small form of nutrients. Comparing the health risks of smoking and ramen is ridiculous, one causes cancer while the other is simply high in sodium.

@SemiColin Wow, this was one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while. Despite what you think, many people DO start smoking...

bahahaha reread the comment you replied to; you completely misunderstood what this person was saying.

Anonys avatar Anony Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Anony bahahaha reread the comment you replied to; you completely misunderstood what this person was saying.

First of all, they have completely conflicting information. In their post they say smokers have never smoked to look cool, but in the comment they admit they might have at one time. I was saying I disagreed with them completely, about how yes, smoking WAS about looking cool at one point. I also said I disagreed that people eat ramen to look cool, which I thought was ridiculous.

@SemiColin First of all, they have completely conflicting information. In their post they say smokers have never smoked to...

NO! That's not what I meant! I wasn't talking about the history of smoking of one specific person! I meant like "Hunting is and has always been, a sport." which is talking about the entire history of all people. I admit people may start smoking to look cool, but once they've began to enjoy it they don't even care (or think) about looking cool. And this has always been true. In all of history, people never continue smoking just to look cool.

And no, people DON'T eat Ramen to look cool, that's the example given to compare to smokers NOT smoking to look cool.

Lol I agree with Anony there, you read the complete opposite of what I actually wrote.

who the hell ever ate ramen noodles for enjoyment?

Shugahs avatar Shugah No Way -6Reply