+149

It's stupid how some people say there's no intelligent life out there because there are no other planets that can support life like earth. I mean, why the hell can't life adapt to the conditions on other planets like life here adapted, amirite?

8 11
@1857381

If it produces energy and reproduces, then that should be considered life for this context. And by the way, viruses are considered life, but they're non-cellular life.

@1857448

The highest taxon, even above domain, is life. It's divided into cellular, which has everything, and non-cellular which has viruses. Viruses have one similarity that makes them definitely non inanimate, so they must be life, but they don't fir the criteria for 'real' life to taxonomists invented another taxon.

It's only a recent addition (less than five years) so schools probably don't teach it. My school still teaches the Bohr model, which me and the other biggest science geeks find a bit of a joke.

@1857459

That's pretty much how I felt when my Olympiad teacher taught me the Schrödinger model.

Because as far as we know organisms need important things to survive, one of those things being liquid water. If we find liquid water or evidence that liquid water existed then we can determine if that environment has or had the necessary elements for life to begin (carbon, oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen).

I'm no expert but that is what I have gotten from the documentaries I have watched on Discovery.

@Hey_There Because as far as we know organisms need important things to survive, one of those things being liquid water. If we...

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Sure the organisms HERE need water, but what if other alien organisms dont need water or things like that to survive? What if they've adapted to survive in the environment of that planet?

@But that's exactly what I'm saying. Sure the organisms HERE need water, but what if other alien organisms dont need...

That's the thing. Scientists know what is needed to create and maintain life here but don't know if life is able to be created with out the same elements. We may never find out if other planets are able to support life or not until we find it.

Fun fact: They found sulpher based organisms in the ocean which suggests that on a sulpher based planet, there could be life. It's only a suggestion though (as with pretty much all speculation on life on other planets), as nobody knows yet.