+333

If the punishments and penalties for committing a crime were more severe. Like if you rob a bank, we chop your hand off. If you rape someone, we'll amputate your dick. Crimes wouldn't be committed as much. amirite?

PancakeMixs avatar
4 15
The voters have decided that PancakeMix is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Only if they actually go through with the punishment and not toss out empty threats. "We decided we aren't going demasculate you. Instead we are going to throw you in jail where you will be supplied with free meals and shelter and will be kept perfectly healthy at the cost if tax payers' dollars. But you have to pinky promise you won't do it again." "No." " Okay whatever."

Lanzs avatar Lanz Yeah You Are +36Reply

Shariah law requires those types of punishment, yet the world looks down on the Middle East for being 'backwards'. What happens if a person is without food or shelter and is caught trying to steal a loaf of bread, do we amputate their hand knowing that they will probably die without it? What happens if that person is a child? Your philosophy has a few holes in it, which I suppose is why we look down upon the Middle East for being 'backwards'...

@Shariah law requires those types of punishment, yet the world looks down on the Middle East for being 'backwards'...

(Thompson The Brave!):

Nobody cuts of your hands if you steal a loaf of bread. It depends on what is stolen and how much it's worth. It depends on these factors:

1) The one who steals is sane.

2) He/she has reached the legal age.

3) He/she steals the article from a place that meets the requirements of security and safeguarding. This security is considered when the article is safeguarded by a guard or by it being locked in a place.

4 )The article is in the ownership of another person

5) There is no confusion in it (as to whether he/she took it by way of theft or for some other reason).

6)It was stolen secretly (not by force, etc�).

7) There was no need for theft ( not if the person in ownership of it was using it for the wrong reasons and no extreme poverty)

If any of the above conditions are not met, then the penalty of theft will not be established. Shariah Law is extremely detailed and half the things that people say are "Shariah Law" are not.

That's the strategy in a couple eastern countries, like either Singapore or the Phillipines I think. Get caught with illegal drugs, get killed on the spot. They average, like, 2 rapes per year as a nation.

But that's only if they get CAUGHT. which is why people do the crimes anyway.

Only 40% of rapes are reported, plus only 1 out of 16 rapists are actually accused, arrested and punished. And just saying, that this type of law was also used in ancient societies and has since changed. I think it's been changed for a reason. Plus anonymous makes a point, if you accuse/punish the wrong person, you can't take back amputation. There's a reason that this isn't the law. 'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind'. Plus crimes would still be committed, people would just be sneakier. It's human nature.

What is a girl rapes a guy? What would you cut off there?

@clitoris

I'm a guy and I cringed at the thought :/

Rape isn't only about the sex part, it has to do with dominence too (ignore my spelling it's been a long day and I'm not technically English). Cutting off the dick could in these cases just result in more violent rapes using glass bottles or screwdrivers. It has happened.

I think the crime rates would remain the same, only people will plead for insanity much more often. The government just can't cut off the hands and penises of crazy people.

Or they kill their victims?

yeah i think stealing food isn't that big of a crime, but i agree with the rape one :)

but punishments should reflect the crime
if someone steals I think we should make them volunteer at a police station (like something small like maybe brooming the place) so they can see what the police has to deal with and grow respect for them

@yeah i think stealing food isn't that big of a crime, but i agree with the rape one :) but punishments should...

The rape idea is a very suitable punishment and it would be quite effective, but what if they catch the wrong guy? If you send the wrong guy to jail, you can just let them go, apologize for their mistake, and give them a lot of money to make up for it. However, if you cut spomething off (hand, head, genitalia), then you've just hurt/killed/demasculated an innocent person, and you can't really take that back.

But people aren't as noble as that. I mean...they're criminals regardless (according to the law...if someone is stealing food they're obviously doing it because they NEED it.) Most people have respect for their parents and yet half the time we treat them like shit and don't appreciate the things they do/risk for us. I wish it were that simple though...it's a shame they end up in prison for stealing food.