+314

The word “ain’t” is a useful word in the English language – it can mean “am not”, “are not”, “is not”, “have not”, “has not”, “do not”, “does not” or “did not”. However, even though it’s versatile and easy to use, it still isn’t considered to be a proper grammatically-correct word, amirite?

Simons avatar
7 15
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I can't see it replacing "don't."
I hope you don't enter an insane asylum.
I hope you ain't enter an insane asylum.

OnebadWhiteKids avatar OnebadWhiteKid Yeah You Are +7Reply
@OnebadWhiteKid I can't see it replacing "don't." I hope you don't enter an insane asylum. I hope you ain't enter an insane asylum.

That's true, maybe it doesn't work well for "do not".

But, there are heaps of other ways that "ain't" is just an easier word to use.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Simon That's true, maybe it doesn't work well for "do not". But, there are heaps of other ways that "ain't" is just an...

True. I just was being overly picky and wanted to find a tiny error in your post, to make myself look intelligent.

OnebadWhiteKids avatar OnebadWhiteKid Yeah You Are +4Reply

It does't work for "Do not" "Does not" or "Did not"

@It does't work for "Do not" "Does not" or "Did not"

It does not work - it ain't working. they do not work. they ain't working. they did not work, they ain't never worked.

it is not a synonim, sure, but it can be used as a rephrasal.

ProudMarys avatar ProudMary Yeah You Are 0Reply
@ProudMary It does not work - it ain't working. they do not work. they ain't working. they did not work, they ain't never...

That would be in exchanging for: "It is not working" and "They are not working", and "They have not ever worked". Nice try, though.

@That would be in exchanging for: "It is not working" and "They are not working", and "They have not ever worked"...

like I said, though not a perfect synonim it can replace it in an informal rephrasal :)

Also, the word “ya’ll” is also useful, and I don’t understand why it’s shunned in the English language – it’s short and easy for “you all”, and sounds better than “you guys” or anything else when casually addressing a group of people.

For the record, I don’t say ya’ll, but I do use ain’t all the time, except obviously when typing assignments. Could just be because of my own accent though – I’ve never in my life pronounced the “g” part of any word ending in “ing”.

Also (I’m on a roll here), why did people stop saying “shite” (rhyming with night or sight)? When I was younger, half the shows on telly would say it, and now none of do. It’s not COMPLETELY interchangeable with “shit”, but I just reckon it sounds better.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply

Ain't is in the dictionary, defined as 'an improper form of isn't'

That's slang for ya.

Idiot.