+183

Why the hell did Harry name one of his kids after Snape? Yes, Snape was a good guy all along, and probably saved a lot of people by putting his life on the line, but that doesn’t change the fact that he was a complete douchenozzle to Harry for 6 years, amirite?

Simons avatar
17 61
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

he basically took the names of everyone who died, mixed them up, and named his children after them

ASWCCs avatar ASWCC Yeah You Are +53Reply
@ASWCC he basically took the names of everyone who died, mixed them up, and named his children after them

"Hey, Dad?"
"What is it, James Lily Cedric Sirius Emmeline Amelia Albus Hedwig Alastor Rufus Dobby Colin Fred Nymphadora Remus Severus Potter?"

MrRites avatar MrRite Yeah You Are +273Reply

Yeah, I understood that, but out of all the people that died - Sirius, Lupin, Mad Eye Moody, etc., they were all really brave too, and they didn't bully him like Snape.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +21Reply
@Simon Yeah, I understood that, but out of all the people that died - Sirius, Lupin, Mad Eye Moody, etc., they were all...

You're forgetting that it wasn't just Harry he bullied. He was just a terrible person to a lot of innocent people. I completely agree with you. Snape put his ass on the line more than almost anyone else during the war (nobody else willingly went into Tom's midst and lied directly to his face for over a year straight) and was absolutely essential to Tom's downfall, but he wasn't someone you'd want to name someone after.

MrRites avatar MrRite Yeah You Are +5Reply
@MrRite You're forgetting that it wasn't just Harry he bullied. He was just a terrible person to a lot of innocent people...

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at.

Like, Harry probably got over most of Snape's arsehole behaviour when he grew up, and was grateful for all Snape did, but it still remains that Snape was an absolute jerk to him.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Simon Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at. Like, Harry probably got over most of Snape's arsehole behaviour...

You're only mentioning what he's done to Harry. The horridness of Snape's character runs far deeper than any of his interactions with Harry. I've written it before. Just read this:

http://www.amirite.net/285183#comment1288728

MrRites avatar MrRite Yeah You Are 0Reply

lol. douchenozzle is a funny word.

I think Harry should get done for child abuse for calling his kid "Albus Severus" in the first place.

OMG Simon, I can't believe you just ruined the end for me :/

loljk. But, yeah, the Epilogue was shit.

I think that Harry was trying to "make up" for what his dad did to Snape as a kid. I mean, Snape had it rough anyway, but I'm sure that if James and crew didn't pick on the guy so much. And it would make total sense for Harry to try to (literally) repent for the sins of his father. I think of it as his giving Snape a second chance through his own kid. Besides, it's middle name territory we're talking. It's not like the kid is Severus Albus.

We know, Ginny, we know.

And seriously, man, he had a thing for Harry's mum.

@Wakor We know, Ginny, we know. And seriously, man, he had a thing for Harry's mum.

yeah I thought that's what made Harry naming his son after snape the most weird. If that made any sense.

@_Nephilim_ yeah I thought that's what made Harry naming his son after snape the most weird. If that made any sense.

But you know, after all the shit that went down, perhaps he was a little sparkly-eyed towards Snape after he was revealed to be the good guy. At least, long enough to have a kid and name him after the guy.
And Harry Potter did practically see Snape's whole live in the pensive (I think it was?) I certainly felt differently and more caringly toward Snape after that.

@Wakor But you know, after all the shit that went down, perhaps he was a little sparkly-eyed towards Snape after he was...

Yeah, I felt bad for him when Harry's dad bullied him, which made him grow into being so grumpy all of the time.

You know, I read something ages ago that I agree with - when Harry saw Snape being bullied in the Pensive, he could have seen it as something he had in common with Snape (being bullied) and it would have made Snape be more "human" to him, but all Harry seemed interested in was his father, which I guess would be expected of an orphan, but I just felt that it could have changed his entire outlook of Snape, instead of slightly changing his outlook of his father.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +9Reply

The one comment Snape made on Hermiones teeth really made me refuse to like him.

Icels avatar Icel Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Icel The one comment Snape made on Hermiones teeth really made me refuse to like him.

I read this book called " Harry Potter should have died" and there was a part saying something about that line. It was like Snape didn't mean he saw no difference in Hermione's teeth it was he didn't see a difference between the badness of the spell on her and the one on Goyle.

albinostickmans avatar albinostickman Yeah You Are +4Reply

Cause snape was looking out for harry from the beginning, in the 1st book he saved from quirell/voldy a couple of time n even from dolores umbridge and since he was fakin death eater he had to pretend to hate harry

@Stuff Noo, he hated Harry regardless.

Bust snaped saved harry's ass constantly

@Stuff For Lily.

For Lily or not, harry owed snape a lot, and it was only a middle name anyways

@For Lily or not, harry owed snape a lot, and it was only a middle name anyways

Sure. But you said he had to pretend to hate Harry, and I'm saying he did hate Harry.

@Stuff Sure. But you said he had to pretend to hate Harry, and I'm saying he did hate Harry.

hi didn't hate harry, he disliked him cause he was like James. If he hated Harry he would have screwed him over quite badly

@hi didn't hate harry, he disliked him cause he was like James. If he hated Harry he would have screwed him over...

He hated Harry because he was like James. Or at least, he liked to think he was like James because he hated James. And what do you mean, screwed him over badly? How?

@1353240

SPOILER ALERT!
I saw the movie yesterday n then heard a line and checked the book, it was there, in the memory snape gave harry, dumbledore reveals his plan n snape says all disgusted " so u raised have raised him like a pig for slaughter?"
and dumbledore says, " this is touching....have you grown to care for the boy?"

Yeahhh, Albus Severus is still a tough name for me to get used to. Liiike it made sense for older characters but for younger characters it's like sticking them with an old man's name. Would it be weird to argue that Sirius Severus would have been a cooler name?

@Yeahhh, Albus Severus is still a tough name for me to get used to. Liiike it made sense for older characters but...

Sirius was James Potter's (Jr) last name:

-Bill and Fleur's children were named Victoire, Dominique and Louis
-Charlie Weasley had no children and never married
-Percy and Audrey's children were named Molly and Lucy
-George married Angelina Johnson and their children were named Fred and Roxanne
-Luna and Rolf's children (twins!) were named Lorcan and Lysander
-Harry and Ginny's children's full names are James Sirius, Albus Severus and Lily Luna Potter
-Draco and Asteria child's full name is Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy

http://www.accio-quote.org/

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +3Reply

But Snape resented Harry in a way because due to the striking resemblance between Harry and James, it reminded him of how badly he was treated as a kid by James. He also had to deal with the guilt of basically handing over Lily, whom he was in love with, so he was just a bitter man. But everything he did after that was for Harry's life.

@lightning_lies_lots But Snape resented Harry in a way because due to the striking resemblance between Harry and James, it reminded him...

I'm not denying that Snape was a hero, and that his actions did save Harry's life.

But that doesn't quite make up for such petty behaviour towards Harry when he was a teacher - yeah, he was bullied as a kid by James, but when you're an adult, you have to grow up a bit and get over it.

Yes, he was a hero, but he still abused his power as a teacher to bully Harry, so I don't understand why Harry would name a kid after him.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +5Reply

In all fairness, Harry probably didn't realize how much he hated Snape until after he already signed the name to the junior douchnozzle's birth certificate.

LOL I can't WAIT to see the movie!! l smilie

I think he names his child that because without Snape, Harry probally would have died. Snape tried to protect Harry in the first book from Quirrel. Dumbledore and Snape had a plan so Harry could destroy all the horcruxes and live. Snape faked being on the dark side so he could get information from Death Eaters, risking his life full-out. Snape DIED for Harry. He didn't like Harry because he was James' son. But he was also Lily's, so he did kinda like him I guess. So I would name my child after him...

Not to mention he wanted to bang his mom.

Snape had to be mean to Harry because if he was nice to him Voldemort would have known what was up and everything would have been ruined. When Harry was looking in the Pensieve at Snape's memories, Dumbledore said "After all this time, Severus?" and Snape sain "Always." He still loved Lily and therefore came to love Harry, his last piece of her. He resented him a little in the begining because he was James's son, but he came to care for him over the years. He was the bravest man I ever knew.

@Kiwimango9 Snape had to be mean to Harry because if he was nice to him Voldemort would have known what was up and everything...

No, Dumbledore asks if Snape has, actually, come to "care for the boy," and Snape's like "FUCK NO!" and then shows his patronus.

I've been saying this ever since I read the epilogue for the first time. I'm just really glad to see that someone agrees with me. I would never name my child after someone who treated me as horribly as Snape treated Harry, regardless of how "brave" the person was.

Favorited because douchenozzle is a silly word :)

im guessing you didnt thouroughly read the books. because in those 6 year he might have been a douche but he also did whatever it took to protect harry. snape died for harry albus severus potter was named after the 2 headmasters that died to protect harry. snape was the bravest man harry potter ever knew. therefore as a reminder, its his childs name. the same child with the exact eyes as his mother lily potter, snapes life long love.

Douchenozzle. XD

Hey, you’re the goto exeprt. Thanks for hanging out here.

rpMWZL <a href=

"Albus Severus" One of Harry's many talents is naming kids. Seriously touching though. The best thing about Harry is his heart. He seemed to identify with Snape somewhat and felt that Snape deserved some respect after he died after being hated by everyone yet being so brave. The war against Voldemort would not have been won without him.

What!?! Harry has kids!?!