+204

In the Harry Potter series, why didn't somebody just use a timeturner and kill Tom Riddle? amirite?

Thatbitchs avatar Books
5 40
The voters have decided that Thatbitch is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

We've got to go back! Hand me the time turner! Excellent, now, by my calculations, if we're to go back to 1937, when tom turned 11, from the present time, 1980, with one hour's time reversal for each turn, we shall need to turn this timeturner a total of 464,280 times! Let's go!

One........Two........Three.........Four.........Five.......Six..........Seve- Oh, fuck it! Let's just hope some prophesied chosen one comes along and takes him out or something.

@Kluklayu Actually, it would be 375,648 times, but upvotes for cleverness

CRAP! I accidentally counted a decade higher. I'm always making such simple, dumb mistakes when it comes to math.... Oh well, thanks for the upvote!

Also it would tie in with the whole butterfly effect thing, that killing him may have changed so much in the future, like Neville going to the dark side or something.

8jtt9s avatar 8jtt9 No Way +42Reply

That's going to be a lot of turns.

Or just make sure that the mother of Tom Riddle does not die, and that he receive a proper upbringing

Then there would be no story!

But then can you imagine waiting for all those hours to happen? I mean if you go back like 3 hours.. you have to wait 3 hours to get to the actual present. So I guess it would really suck to wait all those hours (more like years..). Also, I don't think it's wise to change such a huge thing from the past.

They should've went back in time, kidnapped him from the orphanage, and sent him to the Evil Baby Orphanage. Problem solved.

@AwkwardMoments1 They should've went back in time, kidnapped him from the orphanage, and sent him to the Evil Baby Orphanage...

although unfortunately the Evil Baby Orphanage wasn't founded until...what, 2007? 2008? So that responsibility would fall to someone here and now.

@AwkwardMoments1 Touché . . . well, I nominate you for the task. Do you accept your mission?

Weellll...my first inclination is to say YES I WILL DO IT FOR ALL OF WIZARD AND MUGGLE KIND but if TMR were to be put in the Evil Baby Orphanage there wouldn't be any Harry Potter series! And then there might not be Nerdfighters! And then there wouldn't be an Evil Baby Orphanage!

It's a vicious kind of Grandfather Paradox...shivers

TIME PARADOX

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +16Reply

Throw in a flux capacitor and a broom that can go 88 mph and they're set.

DontJudges avatar DontJudge Yeah You Are +14Reply

because if they go back from the present time (let's say 1980) and kill Tom Riddle in 1937, there would't be a Voldemort in 1980. That means there would be no reason for anyone in 1980 to go back to 1937 to kill Voldemort, wich means there would be a Voldermort in 1980, wich means someone would have to go back to 1937 to kill Voldemort.

rule #1 of time travelling: you can change everything in the past, except the thing that made you go back in the first place :)

Because the whole Time-Turner storyline in the 3rd book was a total cop out. Think about, that's the only time it's ever used, and whenever someone brings up a reasonable point like "Hey, why don't they make Fudge travel back in time with them and watch Voldemort come back" or "Hey, why didn't Dumbledore travel back in time as soon as he heard the Potters died, and save them", someone else goes "BECAUSE IT COULD CHANGE EVERYTHING AND THEY WILL KILL THEMSELVES!"

Which is retarded, because they give a fucking time machine to a 13 year old so she can take a few extra classes. Seriously, these things change the space time continuum, and are in the Department of Mysteries - why are they able to be used by a 13 year old just so she can be a bigger swot, but adults can't use them for SRS BZNZ? That always pissed me off.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +12Reply
@Simon Because the whole Time-Turner storyline in the 3rd book was a total cop out. Think about, that's the only time it's...

And, you know, there's that whole Harry-destroyed-the-entire-stock-of-Time-Turners-in-the-fifth-book thing...

Because them writing the book would be totally pointless, thats a cop-out ending, and probably would have ended in a riot

@Kluklayu Because them writing the book would be totally pointless, thats a cop-out ending, and probably would have ended in...

Aye, the only ending that would have caused a bigger riot would be the OTHER huge cop out ending "it was all a dream"

That would fuck everything up. Let it be.

There are fixed points in the wiblly wobbly timey wimey, don't you watch Doctor Who?

They did think about the time turner because someone mentioned it. So it was supposed to be as if the time turn was destroyed in the last few books.

LaurenLostts avatar LaurenLostt Yeah You Are +5Reply

Harry would have never been born, because Lily and Snape wouldn't have stopped being friends, because there wouldn't have been any Dark Lord for Snape to follow.

I don't think you can go back that far...

@Laceypendragon I don't think you can go back that far...

It's magic why the fuck does it have rules.

Qeezs avatar Qeez Yeah You Are +1Reply

"why are they able to be used by a 13 year old just so she can be a bigger swot, but adults can't use them for SRS BZNZ? That always pissed me off."

Because her going to a few extra classes inside of a school isn't really going to drastically change anything like going back to kill the darkest magician of all time would.

Seriously if you are really THAT pissed off with any of it, YOU go and write the one of the most famous series of books to ever be published.

8jtt9s avatar 8jtt9 No Way +4Reply
@8jtt9 "why are they able to be used by a 13 year old just so she can be a bigger swot, but adults can't use them for SRS...

But she still HAS it, giving her the capability of doing whatever she wants with it.

DontJudges avatar DontJudge Yeah You Are 0Reply
@DontJudge But she still HAS it, giving her the capability of doing whatever she wants with it.

but take into account the character herself: an extremely upright, rule-following, and (at that time at least) rather goody-two-shoes schoolgirl. She was probably more rule-following than many adults to whom Time-Turners would be trusted.

@NitaCallahan but take into account the character herself: an extremely upright, rule-following, and (at that time at least)...

To be honest though, it really isn't worth our time to debate and psychoanalyze Hermione. I was just putting my two cents in.

Even ignoring that she was too trustworthy to do anything considered breaking the rules, she would hardly have been able to go back however many years and KILL someone, even Harry didn't have it in him to do that 2 years later.
Plus she was already absolutely exhausted from using it the little that she did, i doubt she would have wanted to go through anymore than what she felt was necessary.

Plus, most people didn't even know that Voldermort was Tom Riddle, only a select few, and i am sure Dumbledore would have thought of all the implications in going back and killing him, especially when he believed in Harry so much, and especially once he knew Harry himself was a horcrux.
Remember there was only 1 year between his return to power and all of the ministry time-turners being smashed. Most witches and wizards believed him to be dead until he was sighted in the ministry.

8jtt9s avatar 8jtt9 No Way +1Reply

And that, my friends, is the source of many, many badly written fanfictions.

I'm pretty sure time turners have a 24-hour limit. But, hey, in AVPS they went back a year, so let's go with that.

This atricle keeps it real, no doubt.

mu6msr <a href=

I saw a Twilight Zone episode where people went back in time to kill Hitler as a baby. The fact that they killed baby Hitler caused the nanny to substitute another baby in for Hitler, and that baby became Hitler. If they didn't go back in time, World War II might not have happened, or at least happened differently. I didn't explain it well, but this post made me think of that episode.