+481

It's possible to love God AND support equal rights for gay people, amirite?

BetaEmissions avatar Politics
12 66
The voters have decided that BetaEmission is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The gay community has passed my test (i out holy water on them whenever they pass by....so far none have burned)

Jonesys avatar Jonesy Yeah You Are +15Reply

All Christians aren't over-conservative, Anti-Islamic, homophobic, tea partiers.

Besides the matter, it's very hypocritical to call Christians Anti-Islam. You say we form a view just from looking at extremists, when they're judging Christianity by extremists.

HA! Next thing they're gonna wanna vote!

As obvious as this is, a lot of people seem to not think so.

HopeImrites avatar HopeImrite Yeah You Are +8Reply
@HopeImrite As obvious as this is, a lot of people seem to not think so.

it just pisses me off as a christian when i see people using my religion to justify their hatred...it pisses me off even more when i see people making fun of my religion because of the people who use it to justify their hatred.

BetaEmissions avatar BetaEmission Yeah You Are +27Reply
@BetaEmission it just pisses me off as a christian when i see people using my religion to justify their hatred...it pisses me off...

It is possible. Mostly anything is possible, however, those two beliefs contradict each other last time I checked, course I last checked when this issue wasn't as big of a deal, so maybe the church has changed it's opinion since then. (which by the way I don't get, the church once said that it was okay to have slaves, "for God says so" then later "...ahhhh welll.... we misinterpreted... it's actually NOT okay to do that." If God's word is so solid, why has it changed so much over the years, if there was one omnipotent guy in charge acting through the people down here, I'm pretty sure things like that would stay solid, in stone, forever.

@It is possible. Mostly anything is possible, however, those two beliefs contradict each other last time I checked...

agreed on your second point, about God's word. your first point, about belief in God contradicting support for gay people, I have to disagree...it's not like you have to sign a contract saying, "because I believe in God, I shall smite the gays." in fact, even if you are part of a religion that condemns homosexuality, you are actually able to use your own free thought & intellect to disagree, if you are so inclined.

BetaEmissions avatar BetaEmission Yeah You Are 0Reply

Humans in general need to shut the fuck up about religion and just keep their nasty thoughts to themselves.

@Humans in general need to shut the fuck up about religion and just keep their nasty thoughts to themselves.

people don't disagree with homosexuality just because of religion. Why is it that I can love all straight people regardless of me disagreeing with some of their actions and that's OK, but as soon as I disagree with choices a gay person makes, I'm a homephobe, I obviously can't love that gay person for who they are. It pisses me off that that's what so many people think

Its not just Christianity though. All three major religions are against homosexuality and several others as well. I don't say this should affect whether or not you support gay right, I'm saying it's just denial to say, "Oh, well, I'm religious and I support gay rights." Just because YOU want it to be like that doesn't mean its true. Religion doesn't support homosexuality. Saying anything otherwise is a distortion of facts.

That said, its personal choice whether or not someone would like to both incorporate religion in their lives and support gay rights at the same time. Just don't say religion agrees with it. Religion DOES say not to discriminate or bring harm unto others, or gossip, or spread rumors, which would protect homosexuals as long as they don't shove it in someone's face.

@Unavailable Its not just Christianity though. All three major religions are against homosexuality and several others as well. I...

i'm not totally sure if i get your point...everything you said is correct, but i didn't say anything about my religion, or even mention christianity. all i said was that i love God and support equal rights for gay people. i'm well aware that my religion doesn't support equal rights for gay people (disappointing as that is), but that doesn't mean i can't have a separate opinion from that doctrine. so i'm confused.

BetaEmissions avatar BetaEmission Yeah You Are +1Reply
@BetaEmission i'm not totally sure if i get your point...everything you said is correct, but i didn't say anything about my...

Oh, I wasn't really objecting to your post. I was just pointing it out as a general fact, because there are some people who simply twist religion so that it suits their opinions at the same time. You're absolutely free to love God and disagree with a doctrine. I'm not Christian myself, but like I said, it's a personal choice.

@Unavailable Oh, I wasn't really objecting to your post. I was just pointing it out as a general fact, because there are some...

i see i see. my opinion is religion is what you make of it. if you wanna make your own, make your own. if you believe yours is the only true way, believe that. if you think it's useless, don't follow one. in the end we'll figure out who's right :]

"If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you." (Deuteronomy 20-21)

Think about that one before you comment, thanks.

Yummys_iz_1337s avatar Yummys_iz_1337 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Yummys_iz_1337 "If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought...

"If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men in his town shall stone him to death."
Deuteronomy 20:18-21

@1319758

so is where it says homosexuality is a sin

God does not hate anyone. no matter what flaws society sees in an individual, God still sees the amazing person that he created in his mind. He'll love you regardless and I think that if everyone who claims that they are Christians should follow that.

Evan17s avatar Evan17 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@1319248

You're so big and tough behind anonymous.

Dameequas avatar Dameequa Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1319248

Most generic troll ever

@1319317

Faggot overload.

@1319317

A bundle of sticks!!!!!!!! Seriously though, how does Chase resemble a bundle of sticks?

OneMoreSadSongs avatar OneMoreSadSong Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1319317

U mad? Also, it only takes about a minute to make an account.

@1319360

the bible also says it's okay to own slaves and having sex with a woman on her period is wrong...you can't just pick & choose what is and isn't still applicable to modern life.
the old testament God is very different from the God that jesus christ taught us about. if you want to know how God wants us to live our lives, look at the teachings of jesus in the gospels. and i'm pretty sure he said "love thy neighbor," not "don't have sex with other men."

BetaEmissions avatar BetaEmission Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1319757

In the passage from Matthew, Jesus is referring to divorce, not homosexuality. Gay marriage was illegal in Jesus' time, too, so of course he was only going to reference heterosexual marriage.
Also, St. Paul's epistles are NOT the words of Jesus Christ. Although they can contain valuable advice on how to live morally, they are not gospel truth. Additionally, this epistle (along with the letters to the Corinthians) was written about general sexual immorality. In Roman culture during this time period, sex was generally a free-for-all: lots and lots of fornication, prostitution, pedophilia, etc. St. Paul believed that it was important to take your mind off of sex for a couple minutes in order to pay attention to God.

It's important to understand historical context when studying Scripture.

@1319360

It's not a fact because it says so in the bible. The bible can't be proven true, so it's not a 'fact'. Did you mean that it's a fact that it's WRITTEN in the bible?

@1319360

You can deny it's a sin, actually. I've read several times that the word "homosexuality" was a mistranslation. It is thought to mean prostitution, and in another verse to condemn male on male adultery. (Adultery being the key word.) Many Christians understand that since the Bible was translated from many languages, mistranslations are very, very likely. So you can be a Christian and not think homosexuality is a sin.

@1319852

Yeah, I've read that before. Consider the source.

@1319360

did you delete the comment where you quoted bible verses to back up your point, then i rebutted & proved you wrong? sorry, but that's cowardice.

@1319360

This isnt medival times, we dont all follow the bible. And who can say the bible is right? Who can say it was written by G-d? All it is, is a book that people follow. "You cant deny the FACT that being gay is a sin" Since when was the bible a fact? Does that mean that if anyone writes a book its true? Because anyone could have written the bible. And if being straight was a sin all of you "Gay is a sin and cant go on" people would be doing the exact opposite. Im not gay and Im not atheist either but come on, what gives you the right to marry and not them?

@1332172

If thebible wasnt written by god then what makes it a sin?

@1332365

How do you know it is G-d's word? What If I write a book saying the opposite and say it is written by G-d? The only thing is you just been told it is but not everything you here is true.

@1332172

"G-d" is the way Jewish people say "God" because according to their religion, his name is too sacred to be spelled out. I don't really think it's necessary to correct the poster on that.

@BetaEmission "G-d" is the way Jewish people say "God" because according to their religion, his name is too sacred to be spelled...

I used to be jewish, now I go by no religion since all have ways of making certain people looking bad in the face of G-d. I feel you cant just post that name around like you're a troll, thanks for the support dude (:

Gay people don't have any less rights than anyone else.

@ThatOneNut they can get married

Are you an idiot? Yes, they can get married in a few areas but in no way is it equal. If it WAS equal, it would be legal everywhere.

@Adria Are you an idiot? Yes, they can get married in a few areas but in no way is it equal. If it WAS equal, it would be...

He means that gay people have the same marriage rights as straight people. They just can't marry people of the same sex.

@1319583

It's not idiotic, it's true. It's important to keep in mind that gays (and gay-supporters) are asking for a change to the law, not equal rights.

@ThatOneNut They can get married everywhere in the United States at least

Everywhere?? Im pretty sure it illegal in texas. Nd sevral other states to marry a person of same sex

TheSexyWaffles avatar TheSexyWaffle Yeah You Are +1Reply
@TheSexyWaffle Everywhere?? Im pretty sure it illegal in texas. Nd sevral other states to marry a person of same sex

dont make any comments on my spelling im doing it from a mobile phone which is really hard to type on

TheSexyWaffles avatar TheSexyWaffle Yeah You Are 0Reply

And they have equal rights. All men can marry what ever woman they want, and all women can marry what ever man they want. And they receive equal service at public places, it's not like they're treated like blacks were- being forced to use separate facilities or anything.

@reeree And they have equal rights. All men can marry what ever woman they want, and all women can marry what ever man they...

So what you're saying is that if STRAIGHT marriage was illegal, you would be fine with it because straight people have equal rights? It would be OK because all men could marry any man they want and all women could marry whatever woman they want?

They don't have equal rights. Straight people have the right to marry those they are sexually attracted to, gay people don't.

Gays cant marry, gays cant share insurance and health with there partner, gays cant say they are gay in the army, care to argue back?

@1319291

1@1319291 (yesnomaybe): You're right, and sense it doesn't make "biological sense" it will no doubt not only affect the rest of us "biologically sensible" people, but quite possibly cause an armageddon!

@1319291

Neither is giving people artificial limbs and having lyphosuction or any plastic surgery, but people are allowed to do it. People can still do it though. And the reason? Because people like you care more about themselves than others. I am not gay but you dont have to be to know a gay couple can raise a baby just as good as a straight couple can. And someday people will look back at this time and think how could they say they dont deserve the right of marrige? And like owners of slaves we will hate you guys too.