+168

Even though people consider it to be great art, you don't think that broken statues of naked people are that great, amirite?

pk88fans avatar
2 10
The voters have decided that pk88fan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Have you ever tried carving an almost perfect human figure out of a huge-ass block of marble using only a chisel and a hammer? Didn't think so!

@Khauri_Bourne Have you ever tried carving an almost perfect human figure out of a huge-ass block of marble using only a chisel...

Well...we'd appreciate the art if they had some clothes on! I had to eat at a resteraunt that had a perfect view of a naked statue right infront of us. Kinda lost my appetite.

@Well...we'd appreciate the art if they had some clothes on! I had to eat at a resteraunt that had a perfect view of...

You apparently have a problem with the beauty that is the human figure. Do you wear clothes when you take a shower?

@Khauri_Bourne You apparently have a problem with the beauty that is the human figure. Do you wear clothes when you take a shower?

LOL! I don't have a problem with it, I would just be a tad bit happier if there wasn't a naked marble statue right infront of me while I eat.

Maybe you just need to go to the Louvre, life changing for real.

ciao_s avatar ciao_ No Way +2Reply
@ciao_ Maybe you just need to go to the Louvre, life changing for real.

Hah, I went on a trip to Paris and Florence with my class this week and we didn't even bother with the Lourve. But I think seeing ridiculous amounts of statues around every corner in Florence changed that

They aren't just broken statues of naked people.
THEY ARE PERFECT STATUES. OF PEOPLE! The human form is one of the most difficult to replicate, and they did it flawlessly with less advanced tools and without the resources we have today. They are freaking amazing.

Shugahs avatar Shugah No Way +1Reply

Most of those statues were created by the Greeks and Romans, who thought of the human body as a work of art in itself. (The first olympic games were played completely naked.) Nowadays, showing skin is consider immoral, but back then it wasn't. And art will always be art, no matter how much times have changed.

Madies avatar Madie No Way 0Reply

I've been to the Louvre, and I didn't say that it was easy to make a statue. In fact, I appreciate the work and skill needed to make one. I'm just saying that, to me, it's not the prettiest thing to look at. And it's just my opinion.

pk88fans avatar pk88fan Yeah You Are 0Reply

Most of the statues that are broken is due to the purge of artwork by the Catholic church, or when classical art was popular again, but people weren't safe while transporting them.

A lot of the statues where the subject is naked include amazing depictions of emotions through the face as well.