+309

People who saw HP at midnight: You have never seen a movie theater that crowded, amirite?

Gleeks avatar
10 51
The voters have decided that Gleek is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I've seen a theatre that crowded, but never have I heard a bigger cheer than when Mrs Weasley delivered her line:
"Not my daughter, you bitch!"
I would re-watch the film, mistakes or no mistakes, just to hear that line. _^

@I've seen a theatre that crowded, but never have I heard a bigger cheer than when Mrs Weasley delivered her...

(Mrs.M): Haha I know right xD The whole theater was clapping when Bellatrix died lol

Expelliarmuss avatar Expelliarmus Yeah You Are +4Reply

Did anyone else think that it was absolutely nothing like the book?

@ConnorNoonan Did anyone else think that it was absolutely nothing like the book?

Yes. It was pretty good and all, but definitely did not do the book justice at all. Especially the Final Battle. I'm honestly disappointed.

@rowanne Yes. It was pretty good and all, but definitely did not do the book justice at all. Especially the Final Battle...

It was pathetic. Not one scene was even remotely correct. They changed shit for no reason. And people are still saying that it was "the perfect way to end the series."
That wasn't even the same story as the book.

@ConnorNoonan It was pathetic. Not one scene was even remotely correct. They changed shit for no reason. And people are still...

I agree wholeheartedly. It was a huge letdown especially after all the hype. Anyone who has read the book probably wouldn't have liked the movie that much.

@rowanne I agree wholeheartedly. It was a huge letdown especially after all the hype. Anyone who has read the book probably...

My friends and I were the only ones who didn't like it. Every person I've talked to loved it, regardless of whether they read the books. I don't understand how you could read the book, expierience what that story was like... And then think that that filth was good.

Okay, they did change a lot of stuff, and I was disappointed with a few things, like how they didn't do Fred's death any justice, it was really fast and it was sadder and better in the book. There was no percy crying over his brother or making up with his family, but at least they showed us George crying. I was also disappointed that apparently Dobby killed Wormtail in DH part 1, and disappointed that Neville didn't attack Voldemort and kill Nagini in front of him and everyone, but I loved his speech. And Harry was supposed to fix his wand before throwing the Elder Wand away. And why the hell did Voldemort hug Draco? Since when does he hug? But besides those stuff I guess, the movie was great. I love the additions as well, like Snape going into Godrics Hollow and crying over Lily's dead body, saying "you have your mother's eyes" before dying, Neville's speech, the fact that they showed us Ron and Hermione in the chamber of Secrets, and Harry facing snape in the great hall

Expelliarmuss avatar Expelliarmus Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Expelliarmus Okay, they did change a lot of stuff, and I was disappointed with a few things, like how they didn't do Fred's...

I really wanted Neville to scream "WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER!" to Voldemort. and it didn't happen. Made me sad. Still though, I loved Neville in everything he did.
But also, I agree with everything you said about Fred's death. the same goes to Tonks and Lupin. That was such an emotional part of the book, and they really didn't let the audience grasp enough of it.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are 0Reply
@BeedleTheBard I really wanted Neville to scream "WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER!" to Voldemort. and it didn't happen. Made me sad. Still...

Yeah I really wanted him to say that too, it was one of my favorite quotes. They made Neville more emotional instead of aggressive in the movie in that part. Instead of running and attacking Voldemort and screaming at him and killing the shit out of nagini IN FRONT of voldemort, he just said a speech and then killed Nagini when it was supposedly by itself, but he was great nonetheless. But I'm glad that they gave so much importance to Neville in the movie, he deserves it :) I'm also glad they kept my favorite quotes in there, well besides neville's lol. Yeah I wish they showed more of lupin and tonks too :( Also, I wish they showed us the house elves, I was literally crying and laughing at the same time when kreacher came in and said his line in the book.

Expelliarmuss avatar Expelliarmus Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Expelliarmus Yeah I really wanted him to say that too, it was one of my favorite quotes. They made Neville more emotional...

YES, the house elves. and the centaurs, too. it would have really shown all the support they were getting from other magical creatures, not just wizards. those are all just minor details though :P overall I was happy with the film.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +2Reply
@BeedleTheBard YES, the house elves. and the centaurs, too. it would have really shown all the support they were getting from...

Yeah, the centaurs and grawp! But anyways they already had a lot of stuff to do and putting all those centaurs and house elves would take a lot of work and time, and isn't it enough that they did all those goblins and 2 other giants and a dragon, so I'll give them credit, they deserve it. Yeah the movie was amazing!

@Expelliarmus Yeah, the centaurs and grawp! But anyways they already had a lot of stuff to do and putting all those centaurs and...

I feel like, the only way you're going to let yourself actually ENJOY it is if you stop comparing it so much with the book. its just two different ways of presenting the story.

I was pretty disgusted with it, honestly. The last several movies have catered to people who don't read the books and been a letdown to those who have.

@LaestigZwilling I was pretty disgusted with it, honestly. The last several movies have catered to people who don't read the books...

The first two were amazing. No horrible additions, no change for the sake of change. Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged... They were in it for the money, what do they care if the actual fans hate it? We still saw it, and they still have our money, plus thousands of other people who liked it because of the pretty explosions.

@ConnorNoonan The first two were amazing. No horrible additions, no change for the sake of change. Progress for the sake of...

Thats because they changed directors (several times actually) after the first two movies were made.
But I dunno, whenever I go in to see a HP movie, I just have to keep the mindset that it is a completely different person's interpretation of the book, not mine. Its going to be flawed, and as long as I have that in mind I can generally enjoy them. The truth is, no movie will ever live up to literature as wonderful as that. Overall though, I think they did a decent job.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +12Reply
@BeedleTheBard Thats because they changed directors (several times actually) after the first two movies were made. But I dunno...

I don't believe for a second that they couldn't make all of them as good as the first. They didn't screw the first up, but they changed things for literally no reason. Why change Tottenham Court Road to something else? Did that make the movie more exciting? No... They just did it for no reason. They could have all been accurate representations of the books... Not word for word surely, but close enough that by seeing the movies it actually reminds you of the book.

@ConnorNoonan I don't believe for a second that they couldn't make all of them as good as the first. They didn't screw the first...

You know, despite all the unnecessary changes, cuts, and additions made throughout the films, I still wouldn't say that they're inaccurate depictions of the series. It may be a little disappointing at times that things don't play out exactly the way they do in our heads, but like I said earlier, this is just ONE interpretation of the series. This ONE person isn't going to value the same details you might, or picture things the same way. I mean if you compare them straight to the books you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Ultimately, it is what it is.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +7Reply
@BeedleTheBard You know, despite all the unnecessary changes, cuts, and additions made throughout the films, I still wouldn't say...

This is true, but honestly the newest one... If you value ANY detail you are let down. Unbelievable.

@ConnorNoonan This is true, but honestly the newest one... If you value ANY detail you are let down. Unbelievable.

Well, I felt like there were a lot of parts that could've been expanded on. Like when Harry walks in to see all the dead in the Great Hall, I feel like they really didn't do that scene justice. Or going through Snape's memories, that was very disappointing.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +6Reply
@BeedleTheBard Well, I felt like there were a lot of parts that could've been expanded on. Like when Harry walks in to see all the...

They did none of the scenes justice IMO. The way they explained almost nothing, combined with the way they got zero of the details, I just couldn't stand it.

@ConnorNoonan They did none of the scenes justice IMO. The way they explained almost nothing, combined with the way they got zero...

I disagree with that. I felt like overall it was a well done adaptation of the book, even though it had its flaws. Especially, the part from where Harry goes to meet Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest to the part where he comes back being carried by Hagrid was spot on. Exactly how I pictured it when I read the book.

BeedleTheBards avatar BeedleTheBard Yeah You Are +3Reply
@BeedleTheBard I disagree with that. I felt like overall it was a well done adaptation of the book, even though it had its flaws...

And what about the battle after that? The battle before it? Gringotts? Ollivander? 19 years later? Nothing was right

@ConnorNoonan And what about the battle after that? The battle before it? Gringotts? Ollivander? 19 years later? Nothing was right

Well. I really enjoyed the movie regardless, because I'm not comparing it so heavily with the books. But how about we just agree to disagree?

You don't have to interpret the books at all..its written there for you as its supposed to be...there are no reasons to make changes because the script is already written

I wish Chris Columbus would've stayed as director. He stuck to the books and didn't cut unnecessarily or add in complete nonsense.
Of course, I maintain that a true fan would watch a seven hour long Harry Potter movie...

@LaestigZwilling I wish Chris Columbus would've stayed as director. He stuck to the books and didn't cut unnecessarily or add in...

I disagree. Chris Columbus was the perfect director for the first two movies - he did an amazing job and I love them, but as the books got darker I don't think he would have been as good. Because I was disappointed by the fifth and sixth, I was worried when I found out that David Yates was directing DH - I was hoping Alfonso Cuaron would come back - but I actually loved both parts of DH, despite the changes, so I don't mind him so much now.

@Starlight_dragon I disagree. Chris Columbus was the perfect director for the first two movies - he did an amazing job and I love...

I've heard that Columbus has done some dark stuff, but I really don't know. I hated what Cuaron did to the movies, he ruined the continuity. I think Yates was one of the better directors and stayed fairly true to the books. But I'm the type that really wants the movies to be as close to the books as possible, and they haven't done that since the second one, and that's disappointing to me.

While there are definately things that were glossed over and should have been expanded on, or should have been there at all (Percy, Fred, Grawp, etc.) I thought it was done fantastically. It kept the heart of the story, and was breathtaking to see.

plotbunnyhunters avatar plotbunnyhunter Yeah You Are +1Reply

i had to watch the 3d version because there was so many people. the glasses were harry potter glasses though :)

gimme_sympathys avatar gimme_sympathy Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Gleek Yeah I got those too, they're awesome!

Not fair! Mine were just normal ):

Egotisticals avatar Egotistical Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Egotistical Not fair! Mine were just normal ):

aww dont feel bad. it depends in the theatre i guess cuz my cousin said she didnt get them
either.

gimme_sympathys avatar gimme_sympathy Yeah You Are 0Reply

I thought it was brilliant, actually, and I loved it. I mean, Rowling wrote it one way, Yates directed it another, and they were both incredible. I especially loved Snape's memories-that man deserves an Oscar. The things I were disappointed in was that Harry didn't repair his wand before he threw out the elder wand and they didn't put much dialogue in the 19 Years Later bit. Of course, that's just my humble opinion, go ahead and disagree if you like :)

SpellChecks avatar SpellCheck Yeah You Are +4Reply

Yes I have, on last years midnight premiere : )

I thought I was going to get trampled when they started letting people in the theater!

slairs avatar slair Yeah You Are +2Reply

also, because everyones all keyed up, it feels like theres more people than there actually is.

Jackass 3D

Well I was in the huge one-screen theater no one knows about that seats 800 people, but it was already half full an hour before midnight.

meysenburgers avatar meysenburger Yeah You Are 0Reply

I didn't even try to go to the theaters. There were people camping out in front of it.

My friends and I were the first four people to enter the the theatre. We were so excited but by the time it hit 11pm, the theatre was packed.

The entire theater in ours was full, excluding the very front row. That's where we had to sit, unfortunately, but it was actually pretty cool.

It was more than half full at 10:00.

Slendermans avatar Slenderman Yeah You Are 0Reply

I saw it today, four days after it came out, (it came out on Wednesday in Australia) in a regular, afternoon session, and it was still totally sold out. I saw the midnight screening, and half of the row in front of mine didn't turn up, even thought that was totally sold out too.

I work at a movie theater. I find this quite shameful, but we sold more tickets to New Moon than any other movie in the theater's history. (cry2)