+295

We seldom realize, for example that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society, amirite?

kerouacs avatar Philosophy
27 59
The voters have decided that kerouac is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

There was something in Cracked a while ago, how language literally changes the way we see things, and some examples of cross-culture language making people think and see different things.

@Simon There was something in Cracked a while ago, how language literally changes the way we see things, and some examples...

Link? I never have time to read anything on cracked during school times. Why can't I be a remedial student that didn't care?

@Why are you bringing your school times into this? No one cares.

I'm quite away of people'a apathy. Why are you bringing up my bringing up the school times? People will not care...but double.

ANYWAY, I was telling him why I hadn't read that article.

@open_mind_open_soul I'm quite away of people'a apathy. Why are you bringing up my bringing up the school times? People will not...

So that in the future you will not bring up topics that no one gives two shits about and spare them the boredom of your reasoning as to why you did not read something, another thing no one cares about.

@So that in the future you will not bring up topics that no one gives two shits about and spare them the boredom of...

lol u mad?

Hey. It's called a conversation. At this point it's pretty one-sided, but he'll reply. Maybe. If I'm lucky. Someday...

@open_mind_open_soul lol u mad? Hey. It's called a conversation. At this point it's pretty one-sided, but he'll reply. Maybe. If I'm...

Of course not. I'm already wasting my time, your comment wastes no more. This is for your future knowledge.

@open_mind_open_soul He replied, it is now a conversation. Suck it, anon!

Site the comment where I denied it being a conversation.

@Site the comment where I denied it being a conversation.

*Cite. And you didn't, I'm just pointing out that it is, therefore I have the right to say whatever, even if it pertains to just those involved in the conversation.

And lol, what are you gonna do? I'd go find the 11 year olds first, not the ones that'll be 16 in 3 months.

@oohhh you're a fiesty one. umad, little girl?

Not at all. I'm pretty sure you're more upset about this than I am. And yeah, insulting someone's age is so insanely cool and burn-inducing. Ouch.

@open_mind_open_soul Not at all. I'm pretty sure you're more upset about this than I am. And yeah, insulting someone's age is so...

You sound like you got your pantied up your ass. I don't like you. " Why can't I be a remedial student that didn't care?" quit bragging. Sophomore year is sooo tough. I'm ignoring all your comments now. There's a reason people make fun of younge people. It's because you're annoying. "Daen Thomas" and "ilessthanlikeyou". It's hard to beleive you're even 15.

@You sound like you got your pantied up your ass. I don't like you. " Why can't I be a remedial student that didn't...

...I cannot believe your hypocrisy at the moment. I wasn't complaining about sophomore year. I was complaining about lack of time during the year. What I say has nothing to do with my age.

Seriously, I'm laughing right now. Tell me I have panties up my ass again. I'll start laughing that ass off.

@You have your panties up your ass again.

Cool. Would you mind picking that out? I hate wedgies.

@open_mind_open_soul Cool. Would you mind picking that out? I hate wedgies.

Sure thing baby whats your address I'll catch a train.

@open_mind_open_soul Lolno.

You speak as if you were as old as you look.

@You speak as if you were as old as you look.

Hmm, really? For one, how old do I look? That depends on, to quote the saying, "the eye of the beholder." I've gotten multiple opinions on how old I
look.

Second, am i 1 uf thoz gurlz tht tlks liek dis? No. I don't understand what you mean by that. I've been told my grammar is great. I write all the time. Please, fine me ONE grammar, spelling, or general speech(wrong word usage, btw; I'm not physically talking, obviously :D) error I've made in this conversation, please.

You're making me laugh with this, btw.

@open_mind_open_soul Hmm, really? For one, how old do I look? That depends on, to quote the saying, "the eye of the beholder." I've...

You look about 11. I'm not talking about your grammar, mine is far worse, I'm talking about how you sound.

@open_mind_open_soul How...I...sound? Cool, I guess I talk like a 11 year old? Mind pointing out how?

"Cool. Would you mind picking that out? I hate wedgies." "Lolno" "You're making me laugh with this, btw" those are just the most recent phrases.

@"Cool. Would you mind picking that out? I hate wedgies." "Lolno" "You're making me laugh with this, btw" those are...

That's called a sense of humor, not immaturity. And I can scroll up and see what I said for myself. I did. You, for one, act like a 6 year old talking to his parent after being denied a new toy.

@open_mind_open_soul That's called a sense of humor, not immaturity. And I can scroll up and see what I said for myself. I did. You, for...

I didn't call you immature. I called the way you put words together under developed. "You, for one" trying to talk like a big kid now?

@I didn't call you immature. I called the way you put words together under developed. "You, for one" trying to talk...

I haven't changed my style of talking at all. I always talk like that. Sorry for using conversational words instead of the words I use when, say, writing an English essay.

@open_mind_open_soul I haven't changed my style of talking at all. I always talk like that. Sorry for using conversational words instead...

Your conversate like an 11 year old. You head how 8 years olds talk? How it's different? Yours is different than every other 15 almost 16 year old.

@Your conversate like an 11 year old. You head how 8 years olds talk? How it's different? Yours is different than...

Conversate. Lol. Not a word. And you're criticizing me for my word usage?

Yes, I talk differently. See, different people have different THOUGHTS. Amazing, I know. I in no way talk like an 8 year old.

Mad, troll/anon?

@http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conversate

Oh yeah, and I can tell how mad this is making you by how many times you're saying lol.

@Oh yeah, and I can tell how mad this is making you by how many times you're saying lol.

I stand corrected. I have never heard the word conversate before. And Google Chrome tries to correct me, soo...

and yeah, NICE LOGIC THERE. Lmaoo

@open_mind_open_soul I stand corrected. I have never heard the word conversate before. And Google Chrome tries to correct me...

All I did was post a link, what "nice" logic are you assuming I'm using?

Stupid girl. This conversation is over.

@All I did was post a link, what "nice" logic are you assuming I'm using? Stupid girl. This conversation is over.

Was it another anon that said something about how I was mad because I said lol? I meant to respond to that anon, if it was a different one.

Yeah...I'M stupid.

@Twas not.

It wasn't another anon? Then my comment was perfectly logical...dumbass.

@open_mind_open_soul It wasn't another anon? Then my comment was perfectly logical...dumbass.

umadbroski?

I never said your comment wasn't I asked why you said "nice logic there", dumbass.

@umadbroski? I never said your comment wasn't I asked why you said "nice logic there", dumbass.

I said "nice logic there" because I find your "logic" humorous.

And nope...still not mad...

@open_mind_open_soul I said "nice logic there" because I find your "logic" humorous. And nope...still not mad...

Yeah I can tell by your use of lols and proanity. You seem really calm and not defensive at all.

@open_mind_open_soul lulz = mad? Hah, wow. Yeah, you seem just as calm.

I suppose you chose to ignore where I said and profanity. At least I gave you examples of how calm you don't sound.

@I suppose you chose to ignore where I said and profanity. At least I gave you examples of how calm you don't sound.

Actually, you have no basis for assuming I'm angry. I'm seriously not. And this conversation was hilarious at first, but I'm bored now. Nice arguing with you about your assumptions :P

@open_mind_open_soul Actually, you have no basis for assuming I'm angry. I'm seriously not. And this conversation was hilarious at...

So it's not ok for me to assume your not calm, but it is for you to assume I'm not calm. And yes, actually, generally people who are angry when they internet argue tend to over use the word "lol" and swear a lot.

I hope the thing were you can reply to two comments still works. Both of you, shut up. Idk how obvious it is to you, but anon is trolling.

Oh and just anf fyi, you're one year too younge to be using this site. I keep an eye at for the younguns.

But society is molded by original thoughts and emotions contributed by individuals, so every once in a while, some one must feel or think something entirely original.

@davewilk99 But society is molded by original thoughts and emotions contributed by individuals, so every once in a while, some...

Another question - is anything really original or new? Is anything that we can possibly think of something that has been thought of hundreds of times by other people throughout history, even if we weren't directly aware of it or influenced by them.

Also, is anything that human beings can think of completely boring and unshocking, because we can as a species think of it, we have the capacity throughout the species to imagine certain things, rendering them dull.

What you think or say may have been said at some point in history, however, I think that when an individual hears something, they process it in their mind in a specific and totally original way that has been bred by their past experiences and environments. And when that thought comes to fruition, even if it has been said before, it can have a totally different impact, based on the circumstance, the place and the person hearing it.

In languages that have feminine and masculine words, the way people feel about certain objects can be affected by that. For example, they did an experiment in which they asked German speakers to say words they thought of when they heard the German word for "key" (masculine), and it was described as "heavy" and "metal," while for Spanish speakers, "llave" (feminine word for key) conjured words like "little" and "golden." Experimentation with the word "bridge," feminine in German and masculine in Spanish, had the same effect with word associations.

redoyetaks avatar redoyetak Yeah You Are +5Reply

in the words of sixbillionsecrets... BUT SOCIETY CANT SEE BEHIND MY MAAAAASK

wow...that's pretty deep

aabbccddees avatar aabbccddee Yeah You Are 0Reply

What is given must hold true in the majority of situations for the thought pattern to continue

Anonymous