+798

You’ve wondered if people see and taste things different – like, if every person’s tastebuds taste chocolate differently, or when we learn in primary school “this colour is called blue” if we’re all seeing the same colour, or if my blue is different to your blue, amirite?

Simons avatar
67 36
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

strange thought. Like someone else see's stoplights as blue, white, and brown, but they think those colors are called green, yellow, and red, so they incorporate those names with those colors, and no one will ever notice.

Sergs avatar Serg Yeah You Are +33Reply
@Serg strange thought. Like someone else see's stoplights as blue, white, and brown, but they think those colors are...

That's the thing though - if what you see as blue is different from everyone elses, you'll probably never know, because when you were in preschool, the teacher pointed a crayon and told the class that it was called blue, and since then you've been calling that colour blue.

Or, alternatively, EVERYONE'S blue could be slightly different.

Same with tastebuds - I love tomatos, but some people I know hate them. Are they tasting something different to me?

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +36Reply
@Simon That's the thing though - if what you see as blue is different from everyone elses, you'll probably never know...

I don't know about the tasting issue. However I don't think people see different colors becausewhen we mix colors blue and yellow always make green. Unless you see blue as red, yellow as blue and green as purple, it doesn't work if we all see different colors. Does that make sense?

@I don't know about the tasting issue. However I don't think people see different colors becausewhen we mix colors...

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, if you learnt that colour X is called yellow, and colour Y is called blue, and when colour X and Y mix, they make a colour D that's called green, you're gonna call that colour green. Even if my colour X, Y and D are different from yours, colour X and Y will still form colour D.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +24Reply
@Simon Yeah, but what I'm saying is, if you learnt that colour X is called yellow, and colour Y is called blue, and when...

That would be a pretty interesting social experiment. Like if we just had a school that's taught something totally different from the beginning then we release them to the outside world and see how they react when people call them wrong.

ROY G BIV always fades into eachother. Yellow is always light black is always dark. I don't think we see different colors. Maybe slightly different variations, but not completley different.

I would think that everyone's taste buds do taste things differently. Otherwise, as you said, why would one person like a certain food and someone else hate it? They must taste different things. Or, at the very least, react differently to the same taste.

@WhatsThatInMyFridge I would think that everyone's taste buds do taste things differently. Otherwise, as you said, why would one person...

Taste would be a conclusion, which would therefore make it based on prior knowledge and observations.

Yes I've wondered this myself. I was afraid I was just weird or something :/ This could mean that everybody has the same favorite color just no one knows it.

NerdyBlondes avatar NerdyBlonde Yeah You Are +33Reply

Yeah, what if people don't think I'm funny, not because I'm unfunny, but because their eyes are malformed, or their ears just hear blahhh whenever I talk, whereas I hear the chorus of angels?

Life really makes you think.

Is it just me or has this been posted over 9,000 times?

For some reason this post made me think of the book Frindle. Also, this post made me think.

Yeah, we take things as we experience them to be how they exist. Like if I see a tree, then I know it is a tree because I see it. Except there are so many ways the tree exists other than sight that we ignore, like a dog might know it is a tree by the trees scent rather than its image. Everyone and every animal could experience the trees presence in an entirely different way for all we know.

abcd1234s avatar abcd1234 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Lots of long comments on this post...

I like this one better than an earlier one similar to this

ThatOneNuts avatar ThatOneNut Yeah You Are +2Reply

My friend and I had a conversation about the color issue one night... I thought she had gone crazy at the time.

My boyfriend and I were just talking about this. He said I have orange in my eyes, but they're hazel. He says he has green in his eyes, but his eyes are brown with no green whatsoever.

Yeah, I've always wondered because some people argue that some colours are different. Like my Mom with a table cloth, my whole family except my Mom and my Nan said the colour was light brown, while me and the rest of the family called it a dark orange.
I think people just see shades differently rather than whole seperate colours. Although there was research saying that if you aren't taught different shades of one colour you would call dark pink 'purple', or a lighter shade of red 'pink'. Thats why decorators can tell small differences between millions of shades of one colour - because they learnt it.

I don't think so. Like if I was to tell a friend that I thought red looked really good on her, and to go get "that" dress in red, she'd get that dress in what I think of as red. You could do a worldwide test with this, or something similar, and your question's answered.
Or, more simply - did anybody else ever see that color game? Where it'll have a bunch of different names of colors in different colors than they are? For example, it'll say green but the word will be in the color red, and you're supposed to say what color the word is saying - the catch is that your brain will register the color more easily than the word and you might end up saying green.

I don't think we see colours too differently, otherwise those colour blindness tests wouldn't work. Because isn't the point of those that if you see colours different than the standard, then you can't see the number or figure amongst the colours? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have always pondered this!

nosferatus avatar nosferatu Yeah You Are -1Reply

If our eyes were exactly the same, then we'd all have the same favorite color. So, everyone's eyes are slightly different. And everyone sees colors differently. Same with tastebuds.

No, I haven't. People's eyes all have the same structures that allow them to see color, and the wavelength for each color is the same for everybody.

@Mike_Hawk No, I haven't. People's eyes all have the same structures that allow them to see color, and the wavelength for each...

The all have the same structures, but maybe they have malformed or something.
I know nothing about this though. =/ Just a thought.

@Shugah The all have the same structures, but maybe they have malformed or something. I know nothing about this though. =/...

I saw this NOVA on the senses and they talked about why some people don't like vegetables. It's because only some people have the right taste receptors to taste this bitter component that most greenery has to stop animals from eating it. They even did a test with a bunch of kids where they swabbed their tongues and searched for the taste receptors, then had them drink an extraction of the bitter component. The ones that they predicted would taste it tasted it (and made funny faces) and the ones they'd said wouldn't didn't, they said it just tasted like water.
Anyway. Kinda similar.