+322

Illegally downloaded music could actually benefit the music industry; Artists and bands would rely more heavily on touring and live performances to be successful, thereby eliminating the "musicians" that just use autotune and have no real talent, and proper musicians would earn the recognition and money they deserve. Amirite?

Chipss avatar
9 23
The voters have decided that Chips is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Actually, it said in an article I read recently that people who pirate music actually tend to spend MORE money on legal music. Illegally downloading is actually kind of a "try before you buy" for most people, and actually helps increase sales in some cases.

Usually I illegally download music I wouldnt buy in the first place. If I really like the band, I always buy it.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +7Reply
@1383537

It's the stupid friggin' producers and distributors.

@1383537

Exactly, it forces bands to have a good stage performance and not rely on autotune and other vocal enhancers. It makes bands who really are good, that much better, and bands that aren't good, get the credit (or lack thereof) they deserve.

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are 0Reply

Do you know how many people go to a Ke$ha concert?
Just because someone is auto tuned doesn't prevent people from going to their concerts. You're argument is invalid in that way.

I personally don't think illegally downloaded music has much effect on the music industry; whether or not it has a negative effect is debatable. But it certainly does not have a positive effect on it, and there's no point in trying to make excuses for it.

I say no because what about all those (the actually talented) musicians who make dubstep/techno or any other form of music that can't really be played live, in like a concert or a tour. I know a lot of techno is crappy but there are many talented artists that make quality electronically rendered music that gets pirated all the time.

...but I totally agree with you on the crappy auto tuned pop shit.

@DaAce96 I say no because what about all those (the actually talented) musicians who make dubstep/techno or any other form...

A lot of techno and drum n' bass groups that I listen to all go on tour (they update it on their Facebook pages) like Faithless, Infected Mushroom, Far Too Loud etc. I think the post applies to all genres of music.

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are 0Reply

Although then Artists would feel less encouraged to make new albums because there would be less profit for their work. Many Artists would rush through the writing process to get it over with and possibly end up with worse songs.

True musicians write for the passion they feel. If they're writing the music just for sales then their music won't be at it's peak.

I buy CDs from bands I love.

@Sex_With_A_Snail True musicians write for the passion they feel. If they're writing the music just for sales then their music won't...

I agree with that, but they have to at least consider the sales for the sake of keeping themselves afloat, I reckon.

I hate when people complain about autotune not being talent. It takes talent to edit sound. Also, I listen to music for the sound, not for the talent.

@Greatlamp3 I hate when people complain about autotune not being talent. It takes talent to edit sound. Also, I listen to music...

Yeah but sound editing "talent" isn't the Artist's talent. It's the talent of the person editing the voice. And more often than not, Autotune sounds like shit. It sounds better when the person actually learns to sing instead of bullshitting their songs.

But it requires less vocal talent to sound decent.

IMO, a good song is a combination of 3 things; sound, lyrics, representation. For eg: The Beatles - great sounding, good lyrics, and they all about the music, not just about making money and being famous.

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Chips But it requires less vocal talent to sound decent. IMO, a good song is a combination of 3 things; sound, lyrics...

Just because they edit how it comes out, doesn't mean it's all for the money. That's like saying if movies use vfx, they're all about making money and being famous. When really, if a movie uses vfx, they're just trying to enhance the image on screen or add to the plot.

@Greatlamp3 Just because they edit how it comes out, doesn't mean it's all for the money. That's like saying if movies use vfx...

No no I'm not saying that just because they use autotune that they're all about making money. That second paragraph on my last comment wasn't really relevant to your first comment, I was merely adding in some random trivia.

Chipss avatar Chips Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Chips No no I'm not saying that just because they use autotune that they're all about making money. That second paragraph...

Once again. Idc about talent as long as it sounds good.
Hating on autotune is like hating on visual effects.

Which is why I always illegally download my music cool smilie

Expelliarmuss avatar Expelliarmus Yeah You Are +1Reply