+280

Weddings are materialistic and unnecessary. You do not need to spend thousands of dollars on a one day event in order to show your commitment and love for your partner. A wiser investment would be making a down payment on a house or car or simply saving the money for the future, amirite?

DanielJamess avatar
11 47
The voters have decided that DanielJames is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

But... I want doves. And butterflies. And a casino. And live chickens that people have to catch, kill, and cook for themselves. That's not a wedding, that's an event!

DictatorCourtneys avatar DictatorCourtney Yeah You Are +35Reply

Some people like to celebrate the beginning of a happy new life together.

@Chapstick Some people like to celebrate the beginning of a happy new life together.

The celebration doesn't need to be extravagant, like so many are.

I'd be much happier having a small get-together with immediate family and close friends than spend thousands on a lavish wedding with everyone I'm vaguely familiar with, have mutual friends on Facebook with, or have sat two stalls away from in an airport.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +31Reply

I think a wedding is pretty much the one time in your life you have an excuse to spend lots of money and do something extravagant and just have a fun day. The size of your wedding won't determine how happy you are with your spouse, but sometimes it's nice to dress up and do something big for yourself.

@1418619

Going into debt over your wedding is so stupid. That's an awfully irresponsible way to begin your "new life".

Normas avatar Norma Yeah You Are +18Reply
@1419028

I am definitely wearing my wedding dress more than once. Even if I have to wear it to the grocery store.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +19Reply

If you have the money and it's not burning a hole in your pocket by spending it, go for it. That being said, most people with expensive weddings DO have the money, and it's not hurting anything by spending it on a great occasion such as a wedding.

@1418747

american please...thanks

J_A_C_Ks avatar J_A_C_K No Way -13Reply
@1418882

i dont have google

I don't think weddings themselves are unnecessary; thats just when you spend thousands of dollars on a dress you'll never wear again and a cake that will leave your system in a few hours. But you can have a very modest wedding and its just a nice time enjoy the company of those you love.

the point of the extravagant wedding is to have a celebration of beginning your new lives together in the presence of your family & friends. if you want to have a big wedding, go for it, as long as you don't spend outside your means. but there's no rule saying you HAVE to have a big wedding; if you'd rather get married in vegas or have a small backyard wedding, then do it. just like some people want a huge bash for their birthdays & others just want to go out to dinner with a couple of close friends. it's your celebration, so do it how you want.

If my parents weren't worried our whole family tree would be offended if they weren't invited, I would only have my parents, siblings and best friends at my wedding which would be in my house. And I would make them sandwiches to eat.

@1419466

Translation: Couldn't have said it better myself.

If I ever had a wedding the it'll be a quick wedding in Vegas. No one will be invited.

LOLfails avatar LOLfail Yeah You Are +5Reply

It's just a nice thing to have, like cable.

@ThisChick It's just a nice thing to have, like cable.

Cable isn't something you can only use for one day.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +8Reply
@DanielJames Cable isn't something you can only use for one day.

i hope you never go on vacation or go eat at a nice restaurant or go to the movies or go to a football game, because you can only enjoy them for one day..........the vacation maybe a couple of days, but still

J_A_C_Ks avatar J_A_C_K No Way +13Reply
@J_A_C_K i hope you never go on vacation or go eat at a nice restaurant or go to the movies or go to a football game...

I was pointing out the flaw in her comparison, not implying that all single-service things are pointless/wasteful.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +3Reply

I never said that...? OP said it was materialistic and unecessary, so my comparison isn't quite too flawed. I'm just saying, cable is nice to have, and so is a wedding. Both things are used for entertainment. Sure, is a big fucking party needed to celebrate two people tying the not? No, but you also don't need cable. Those are just cool things to have, same with every other type of entertainment. Not needed but is fun.

Some people just have money to burn.

When you're 90, you might fondly remember your extravagant wedding, but I doubt you'll be regretting not putting a down payment on a house.

@wobbuffet When you're 90, you might fondly remember your extravagant wedding, but I doubt you'll be regretting not putting a...

When you're 35 and still in a cramped apartment with your spouse and two kids, you might fondly remember your extravagant wedding, but I doubt you'll be happy you used up all your money.

DanielJamess avatar DanielJames Yeah You Are +2Reply
@DanielJames When you're 35 and still in a cramped apartment with your spouse and two kids, you might fondly remember your...

the people who live in the cramped apartment wont be those ones to have expensive weddings...it's the rich people who own their own fucking airplanes.

@J_A_C_K the people who live in the cramped apartment wont be those ones to have expensive weddings...it's the rich people...

Having an extravagant wedding could very easily be one of several bad financial decisions that result in living in a cramped apartment.

Welp... looks like everybody else pretty much summed up what I was going to say.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +4Reply

Being wise is for poor people

I've thought this for so long, especially when I watch Say Yes to the Dress and watch women buy a dress for 10 grand that they'll only wear once. Where's the logic in that?

On the other hand, my parents are going to pay, and if they want to go all out, fine by me.

Face the fact that pretty much any wedding nowadays will cost thousands of dollars. Unless you really do have just a few people in a back yard, it's unavoidable. That being said, spending huge sums just for the sake of it is silly.

Signed,
Someone planning a wedding

On the off chance I end up married, I'll probably want to do what my parents' friends did- the simple government ceremony, and then have some fun little party. Yay, cheap!

Asteriskis avatar Asteriski Yeah You Are +1Reply

Try watching platinum weddings, those people literally waste thousands of dollars on napkins, chairs, etc.

528491s avatar 528491 Yeah You Are 0Reply