+315

God created the universe in seven days. How do we know His days are the same length as our days? Our days are based on the Earth's rotation, but before the Earth, what did God base His days on? The older you get, the faster time seems to pass. Since God in infinite years old, His days could be two billion years long, thus He created the universe in 14 billion years. Religion and Science can go together, amirite?

B10ckH34ds avatar
39 88
The voters have decided that B10ckH34d is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Oh. My. Gosh.
Never thought of that. So interesting to think about...

Ohuglybabys avatar Ohuglybaby Yeah You Are +19Reply

In catholic school, I was taught that Genesis is not supposed to be taken literately, besides the fact that we all are ancestors of 2 people.

@Lettuce In catholic school, I was taught that Genesis is not supposed to be taken literately, besides the fact that we all...

Yeah I don't believe that but either. But then we're working in the presumption that they were normal people. They could have contained volatile alleles which mutated randomly when in gametes to give all the differences we gave today.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +1Reply

Scientists recently found humans are simply too genetically diverse to have been from just two people.

Sorry I only just saw your comment. I thought Adam and Eve were the first, the God created a bunch of others elsewhere. Their sons found wives, who weren't their parents' daughters, so...

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'm not religious at all, I'd actually say I'm leaning towards atheism, but regardless of whether or not I believe in god, this post is valid in the sense that why would god be limited to "earth days". It makes sense that he could have his own time system; imagine being immortal/ever-present and counting everything by earth days.

Not this again....

Religion and science? Sure, it's possible to make that work. Science is learning about the world that God created, is it not?
The real question is whether religion and the internet are compatible...

bananamos avatar bananamo Yeah You Are +6Reply
@bananamo Religion and science? Sure, it's possible to make that work. Science is learning about the world that God created...

Science is about observing existing phenomena...religion is about having faith in otherworldly ideas and spiritual symbols.

-___- No.

" 3 And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light 'day,' and the darkness he called 'night.' And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

Genesis 1:3-5

Days described in Genesis are basically the same days we use now.

@Jennitalia -___- No. " 3 And God said, 'Let there be light,' and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he...

THe darkness and light were and are stationary. That is nothing to base time on. We see movement of light because Earth moves, and Earth wasn't made yet.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +10Reply

Day is day and night is night no matter how many Earth days it takes for one day in some place else, so I assume yes, days described in Genesis are basically the same days we use now but that doesn't mean the length of the day is the same.

One of my confirmation teachers told something like this to me.

ThisBlackChicks avatar ThisBlackChick Yeah You Are +4Reply

God is a Scientist!

That wasn't science. That was philosophy.

In ways, religion and science can go together. But they're too contradictory in the first place. In order to allow them to go together entirely, you'd have to limit one of them.

I learned this is my religion class at my school. We did a huge study on Genesis that lasted for a week. The conclusion was that God's days weren't necessarily our days. It was more than likely hundreds (or more) years per each day.

makeup_nerds avatar makeup_nerd Yeah You Are +2Reply

Really? Awesome. I knew I wasn't the only one.

Religion and science can go together, but christianity and science most definitely can't unless 90% of the bible is parable.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way +1Reply
@Chiff Religion and science can go together, but christianity and science most definitely can't unless 90% of the bible is...

Comments like this annoy me. No offense to either of you but Catholics were the original Christians. Protestants broke away from the church. If anything Protestants should just be called Protestants, oh and half of all Christians are Catholic

@bananamo Certain parts of the Bible are meant to be taken metaphorically...

"Certain" parts? lol. You mean whatever parts you feel like.

@"Certain" parts? lol. You mean whatever parts you feel like.

Exactly, I mean honestly it's up to the reader to decide how they want to interpret the bible.

bananamos avatar bananamo Yeah You Are +5Reply
@bananamo Exactly, I mean honestly it's up to the reader to decide how they want to interpret the bible.

So then I could interpret the bible as being the corrupted word of a malicious entity called 'god' to bring about hate towards a benevolent entity called 'satan', the original creator. Now THAT would be a cool twist. :P (Also there's some truth in this, well common interpretation anyway if not the bible itself, the imagery used to describe the devil, red with horns and a tail, is only done in an attempt to brand paganism as evil.)

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way -3Reply
@Chiff So then I could interpret the bible as being the corrupted word of a malicious entity called 'god' to bring about...

Yes you could interpret it that way. I think some satanists do. But then again, I don't think Satan ever promoted loving your neighbor,and I haven't really found anything pushing him in the direction of morality (which can easily be raken from a non-religious point of view.)

Wynauts avatar Wynaut Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Wynaut Yes you could interpret it that way. I think some satanists do. But then again, I don't think Satan ever promoted...

Don't you get it... if god was malicious he could have the bible say ANY LIE HE WANTED. Including making satan out to be bad.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way -1Reply
@Chiff Don't you get it... if god was malicious he could have the bible say ANY LIE HE WANTED. Including making satan out...

Yeah...so? At least people are moral following Christianity (assuming they aren't crazy people judging everyone like the Internet stereotypes them to be.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Wynaut Yeah...so? At least people are moral following Christianity (assuming they aren't crazy people judging everyone...

Some are, some aren't. Don't pretend that you can say anything definitive about ALL christians other than that they believe in god and jesus.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way 0Reply
@Chiff Some are, some aren't. Don't pretend that you can say anything definitive about ALL christians other than that they...

Okay, so the word "generally" accidentally got skipped in my last comment. Even still, considering that's what the entire religion is based around other than believing in God and Jesus, you think at least a majority of Christians are at the very least trying to be moral.

@Chiff By that logic so are terrorists

But the Muslim community has outright stated that terrorists are doing it wrong.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Chiff By that logic so are terrorists

I will admit that the modern and strictly american view of "terrorists" does portray Muslims as dangerous although "trying to be moral" however, you can acknoledge that mcuh of the Islamic community does not agree with the interpretation of the religion as the terrorists do. Christianity has cults and such as well, that most denominations deny as true followers of Christ, but that does not mean that all Christians are immoral.

@Wynaut I will admit that the modern and strictly american view of "terrorists" does portray Muslims as dangerous although...

Wait what? I never mentioned Islam, you two brought that up. I just mean the age old saying of "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." That summarises the nature of morality, how one person's view of it does not make that morality absolute.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way +1Reply
@Chiff Wait what? I never mentioned Islam, you two brought that up. I just mean the age old saying of "one man's terrorist...

Fighting for freedom =/= morality. If you were not implying Islam, then what point did the terrorists comment have? Terrorists are not a signifcanfly large group of the world population, and terrorists are meant to inspire terror, so I doubt we could call them moral in the general sense. I understand that morality is not set in stone, but you're missing the point that even if terrorists are "freedom fighters" and in some perspective moral, that does not apply to my statement about how at least the general population of Christians try their best to be moral, because terrorists are not an example of a widespread ideology on morality, like Christianity or other world religions.

Wynauts avatar Wynaut Yeah You Are -2Reply
@Wynaut Fighting for freedom =/= morality. If you were not implying Islam, then what point did the terrorists comment have?...

Because the concepts of 'lesser of two evils' and 'greater good for the greater number' depend entirely on your perspective of the really big picture, as in the meaning and purpose of life. Clearly the various people of the planet don't all share the same view as far as that is concerned. Ok quick example, I saw a documentary yesterday about a South American tribe that would cannibalise their dead. But they did it not as a way to be destructive, not to lessen the people they ate, but because they believed it was like inheritance, and served a spiritual purpose of transition. They all spoke highly of the idea and claimed to want to be eaten when they died, and would consider it an insult if it didn't happen. In this tribe's history they had been visited by christian missionaries but rather than attempting to reason with or even understand their rituals they would treat the tribesmen as evil. Because of this the tribe now believe that christians are evil. In this way, there exist two seperate views on the same moral issue, and there are ofcourse many more views around the world, not just place to place or group to group but every single person's views are different.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way 0Reply
@Chiff Because the concepts of 'lesser of two evils' and 'greater good for the greater number' depend entirely on your...

Even christianity is divided into MANY different denominations, and none of them hold a majority stake to the name 'christian'.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way -1Reply
@Chiff Even christianity is divided into MANY different denominations, and none of them hold a majority stake to the name...

Greater good for the greater number can wok off of perspective. It specifically says greater number...that's just math. And yes, no religious group is perfect, and I agree that those missionaries were much too harsh with the disconnect between their ideas and the tribesmen's . Yes christianity has many factions, none of which have a major claim to the sole "Christian" group. (although some would argue the Catholics do). And yes how you view life could change a lot of what you consider a lesser evil. But I still don't see why it matters. So there was once a group of people under the name of Christians who were less than perfect. I honestly don't really know what we are discussing here anymore. This started with you giving a what if circumstance that was really inconsequential. Why don't we agree that many things in this life are subjective and enigmatic, and that we view them different ways?

@Wynaut Greater good for the greater number can wok off of perspective. It specifically says greater number...that's just...

Lol I'm pretty sure that was the point I was trying to make in the first place. :) I need to learn clarity heh.

Chiffs avatar Chiff No Way 0Reply
@Chiff Lol I'm pretty sure that was the point I was trying to make in the first place. :) I need to learn clarity heh.

Okay, well, the way you put it initially did not at all sound that way, but we'll just leave it at the fact that we have come towards the same sentiment.

I think Christian is for Protestants (Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian etc etc). I'm not sure if Catholics are considered Christian or not...

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -2Reply
@B10ckH34d I think Christian is for Protestants (Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian etc etc). I'm not sure if Catholics are...

There's a lot of debate whether or not they are, but I would assume so since they believe in Jesus. But to each their own.

God was created by man, to control people and their actions. People always try to relate God and science, and it doesn't work. This post is just an example of that, as the OP took the myth that time moves faster when older, and used it in an effort to combine science and religion. I expect this to be downvoted, but i don't care, it's just my stupid drunken opinion

@WolfeDeWary God was created by man, to control people and their actions. People always try to relate God and science, and it...

... Time does not move faster when older. Time SEEMS to move faster when you're older and when there's nothing to based passage of time on, time effectively does speed up.

That's called the day age theory. It's biblically refutable for several reasons. For example, the hebrew word "yom" was used indicating one calender day. Don't compromise the Bible.

@pb55020 You say that like God wrote the bible and not humans...

God did write the bible..he inspired the writers what to write. Inspired comes from in spirt, where the holy spirit (which is God) inspired them what to write. Sure, humans hand wrote it, but God reveled what to write.

@1631147

That's part of the old covenant. It no longer applies. You do realize that those commands had a purpose. I couldn't tell you each one specifically because I'm not God, but we can clearly see that commands such as washing hands before eating and not touching dead, dirty things helped ensure the survival of the jewish nation. Those commands in leviticus show biological knowledge millenniums ahead of their time. Only an incredibly stubborn person could discard that divine knowledge as random chance. When I see that type of knowledge present, I'm willing to accept that other commands may well be beyond my reasoning.

@1631176

which part is compromising the bible?

@That's part of the old covenant. It no longer applies. You do realize that those commands had a purpose. I couldn't...

Umm the "old covenant" is the Hebrew Scriptures, just because you think yours in the new one doesn't give you the write to discount an entire religion that came before yours.

@ScottyD Umm the "old covenant" is the Hebrew Scriptures, just because you think yours in the new one doesn't give you the...

different covenants were made and remade throughout the old testament because of man's sin. If God makes new covenants than there is justification for that new covenant.

@1631147

No.

btw we don't have to follow all the strict laws of Deuteronomy, Leviticus, etc anymore because JC fulfilled the Old Test., so we no longer follow the Mosaic law. Those laws were meant as punishment for the Israelites that kept returning to idolatry.

Example: Say your kid always goes out with his friends and does whatever, but one day he comes home at 3 in the morning and high. What do you do? You set stricter laws. You put a curfew on him. That's what God did, which is why they're there.

@Lettuce No. btw we don't have to follow all the strict laws of Deuteronomy, Leviticus, etc anymore because JC fulfilled...

The laws were actually all given at once when Moses wrote them. They were not given bit by bit.

@That's called the day age theory. It's biblically refutable for several reasons. For example, the hebrew word...

I don't see your point. From God's point of view, it may really have been 1 calendar day. since He was the only one in existence, no one was there to tell Him that more time had passed. He may even have manipulated time around him to turn it into 1 day, but to anyone othe than Him, it was 2 billion years.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +6Reply
@B10ckH34d I don't see your point. From God's point of view, it may really have been 1 calendar day. since He was the only one...

There's other words to describe indefinite lengths of time which may be translated as day, but this is not one of them. Besides, God is aware of times linear and objective characteristics (he knows what space-time is) even though he is not confined to times parameters. There's several other reasons why the day age theory is garbage, as well. The conjectures of evolution and the bible are mutually exclusive, you're lying to yourself if you believe otherwise.

@There's other words to describe indefinite lengths of time which may be translated as day, but this is not one of...

You're missing the huge thing here: time, in this context, is a unit of measurement. A day is how long it takes the earth to make it's full spin, since God was creating the earth and thus the earth did not exist yet, it's impossible to conclude with certainty God's days were the typical 24 hour day. Your logic doesn't follow a linear understanding of time and causation, ironic. How could God's day be Earth days when the Earth wasn't in existence and why would he chose to stick with Earth days when he is so old and is the creator of planets whose day cycle would be more convenient to his scale of time?

My friend (a preacher's daughter) explained this to me one day after I explained my former beliefs of the worlds beginning.

I said that I didn't believe that the whole world was made in just 6 days in the order described in the bible. First of all, Sunday is the first day of the week, not the last, so it makes no sense that we rest on Sunday because God rested on the 7th day. Next, the existence of dinosaurs have been proven by all those bones scientists dug up. You can't just deny it.

So my theory was that God made the dinosaurs, got all mad because the dinosaurs weren't able to worship him, so he sent down a comet that blew all the dinosaurs up, and replaced them with humans who have the ability to worship.

I think her reasoning made more sense.

@BetterThanEzra1119 My friend (a preacher's daughter) explained this to me one day after I explained my former beliefs of the worlds...

The jewish day of rest is saturday, because that's when God rested. the reason christians rest on sunday is because that is the day of jesus's Resurrection. As for the dino stuff, They were described in Job, indicating that man and dinosaurs lived together at one point. I don't think God would ever expect an animal to worship him anyway; everything was expected from us.

@The jewish day of rest is saturday, because that's when God rested. the reason christians rest on sunday is because...

The amount of time between the last dinosaur and the first human was about 65 million years.

@BetterThanEzra1119 Huh. I haven't read that much of Job. I must find this.

It's in the last few chapters and is called a leviathan. It's not extremely clear that it's a dinosaur, but a dino is the only thing the description would line up with.

The reason time seems to go faster when you're older is because you're doing a lot less important stuff. Think about it. When you're born you learn a new language, how to communicate, how to write, how to spell. Then when you're older you aren't doing as much and time seems to go by.

_Mike_s avatar _Mike_ No Way -2Reply
@_Mike_ The reason time seems to go faster when you're older is because you're doing a lot less important stuff. Think...

IT's because out perception of time is linked to the percentage of our live it has taken. WHen you're little, it tookn you your whole life to learn English. When you're a hundred, it only took you, say, five percent of your life, so it seems shorter. On your first birthday, it took your entire life for the Earth to orbit the sun, but when you're a hundred, it only took 1% of your life.

That doesn't mean anything evolved.

@TheShamWowGuy That doesn't mean anything evolved.

No, but it does mean that creation was a slow process instead of an instant one and that evolution is just a word for that process. Ta-da!

ProudMarys avatar ProudMary Yeah You Are +25Reply
@ProudMary No, but it does mean that creation was a slow process instead of an instant one and that evolution is just a word...

Yes. Evolution is like the process of a species slowly turning into another species. God did this slowly, to see all the intermediate stages. We see this as evolution.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +15Reply

You act like you know this actually happened. For all you know, gods days are actually 10seconds each which would make creation a very quick process. Ta da!

@TheShamWowGuy You act like you know this actually happened. For all you know, gods days are actually 10seconds each which would...

sigh. Some people like finding a compromise which makes sense without having to give up on their beliefs.

ProudMarys avatar ProudMary Yeah You Are +2Reply
@ProudMary sigh. Fine. Go to hell for wearing polyester then.

Use because the fact that I wear more than one type of fabric in my shirt obviously means that my beliefs have been contradicted. All you did was send me a smart ass response because I actually make a good point that you don't want to acknowledge. And your sighing that is in front of your messages let's others know that arguing with me is tiring and pointless. Way to prove your fallible point

@TheShamWowGuy Use because the fact that I wear more than one type of fabric in my shirt obviously means that my beliefs have...

What point?
Basically you're saying that any compromise is the same thing as giving up on your beliefs. If that is so, then every single sentence in the Bible needs to be taken ad litteram and unchanged. I do believe that the punishment for wearing mixed fabric was stoning to death, rather than going to hell, but the point is still valid.

Christianity has come a long way since its beginning, split up into multiple sections and modified by each leader who wanted to make his point. By saying that any point of view is infallible and not subject to debate or explanation, you are just being absurd.

ProudMarys avatar ProudMary Yeah You Are +12Reply

This is why God exists and is amazing! The world he created is beautiful and amazing.

Religion is based on faith and science is based on evidence. They cannot coincide.

@Religion is based on faith and science is based on evidence. They cannot coincide.

Well actually the man who came up with the big bang theory was a priest.

Religion is also science... old, obsolete science.

lanas avatar lana No Way -4Reply

This would only make sense if God actually existed, and he probably doesn't.

TThis is the perfect example of why the rest of the world thinks Americans are stupid. Science DISPROVES religion.