+788

Pictures are lies. People pretend to be happy and put on a forced smile for those 5 seconds they are posing. People don't take pictures when they are having a hard time in life, unless they're professional photographers. amirite?

pk88fans avatar
38 86
The voters have decided that pk88fan is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

That's because human nature means we want to remember the happy times and not be forced to dwell on the bad ones. Imagine showing your kids your photo album and having to say "yes, that's my boyfriend breaking up with me, oh and look there's the one of me lying in bed sobbing my eyes out." Or, "And here's a picture of grandpa in a drunken rage minutes before he took the belt to us." Plain depressing is all that'd be.

@deeviant That's because human nature means we want to remember the happy times and not be forced to dwell on the bad ones...

the post isn't talking about taking pictures in bad times vs. good times. It's about how in most pictures, you're only smiling because you're supposed to. It's not a genuine smile.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Uh the post says "nobody takes pictures during hard times"

oh i thought you were addressing the first part of the post. The post is kind of strange in that it makes two debatable statements instead of one.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are -7Reply

We should take pictures like they did in the old days when nobody smiled in them.

@StickCaveman We should take pictures like they did in the old days when nobody smiled in them.

Yeah, we Canadians already got that covered. Driver's licences and passports= no smiling allowed. That's why we all look pissed off.

Cassandras avatar Cassandra Yeah You Are +30Reply
@amiritesucksnow "Let me see your ID.. Why are you flipping off the camera?"

Ha, I wish.
When I went for my passport photo, the lady had to re-adjust the flash 3 times because it made my forehead and hair too shiny and "that's not permitted."
I don't know the rules but I'm pretty sure that if you flipped off the camera, they'd bring out security to interrogate you.

Cassandras avatar Cassandra Yeah You Are +6Reply
@twisted_memories Really? They told me I could smile on my license...

Oh that's weird. As far as I know, the only photo ID you're allowed to smile for is your health card. Maybe it depends on where you are.

Cassandras avatar Cassandra Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Cassandra Oh that's weird. As far as I know, the only photo ID you're allowed to smile for is your health card. Maybe it...

I dunno, I think I smiled for my passport picture too. But they didn't let me smile for my student ID...

@twisted_memories I dunno, I think I smiled for my passport picture too. But they didn't let me smile for my student ID...

I know for sure no smiles are allowed for passports. Student ID, really?! Sheesh.

The passport thing: my cousin was like 3 and he smiled for the passport picture and the lady said "don't smile" and he says "no smile? It's a picture..I have to!" so my aunt had to try to make him not smile and he ended up frowning and getting mad because he was so confused as to why he wasn't allowed to smile.

Cassandras avatar Cassandra Yeah You Are +15Reply
@Cassandra I know for sure no smiles are allowed for passports. Student ID, really?! Sheesh. The passport thing: my cousin...

For my passport, the lady MADE me smile and show teeth. She said it was required. I also had to put my hair behind my ears so my ears were clearly visible.

I smiled and they didn't say anything... It wasn't a toothy grin, but it was a smile.

@Cassandra http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/photos.aspx?lang=eng Look at the 5th point under Unacceptable Photos

That lady looks like she's smiling a bit. Anyway, I don't care what the law says, I'm just saying what my experience was.

But that'd also be a lie, in the case that you're happy and you're forcing a neutral face.

If you always pose for pictures, then yeah those pictures are sometimes lies. But most of the time people take pictures to document the fun they are having, so pictures accurately represent that moment in time, and are not lies. This statement also only applies to posed photos. I have plenty of pictures of me crying or my brother unhappy. My parents liked to capture real moments.

I dislike photo albums where every page features a posed family in front of a fireplace, outside the front door or in front of a big pine tree...

@1486515

Hipsters don't use pictures. I'd tell you what they use instead but you've probably never heard of it.

@1547250

Wait a sec, are the people on this site really sheep? Because if Anthony is actually a sheep, it would make the fact that he created amirite 700% percent more awesome. Smartest sheep in the world, easily. But I digress.

To answer your first comment, I think this is considered pretty hipster right now, but I wouldn't know, I'm no hipster.http://ctrlv.in/46717

@Shadi That doesn't really answer my first question at all.

You didn't ask a question. You're first comment said I would be compelled to tell yall what it is that hipsters use, and I was so I did.

@1486515

it hurts me whenever i hear my favorite band on the radio

If people don't take pictures during bad times, then why are they just "pretending" to be happy?

@RosesAndNerds If people don't take pictures during bad times, then why are they just "pretending" to be happy?

it says "bad times" because of all those artistic photos of sad things like impoverished kids in africa or like a house after being destroyed by a hurricane.

last summer I went to NYC. It was interesting and I enjoyed it, but wherever we went, my mom stopped us to take pictures. It was really annoying. I was totally pissed off. And yet in every picture, I was smiling.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are 0Reply

There's a Calvin and Hobbes sort of about this.
http://ctrlv.in/46723

or they're you, lil miss mugshot

starkes avatar starke Yeah You Are +10Reply
@starke or they're you, lil miss mugshot

actually, my mugshots dont tell lies lol

pk88fans avatar pk88fan Yeah You Are +12Reply
@pk88fan actually, my mugshots dont tell lies lol

that's what i'm saying bro. your pictures don't lie cuz you don't even pretend to be happy in them

starkes avatar starke Yeah You Are +8Reply

Pictures are never lies. If people choose to smile for a picture, then the people are the ones lying. The photograph will expose their attempted deceipt in the end. Cameras can only capture true emotion; otherwise, the resulting picture will appear fake.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way +10Reply
@Shadi Pictures are never lies. If people choose to smile for a picture, then the people are the ones lying. The...

Deciept? Is that like receipt and deceit combined? Like a receipt of all the times you've deceived someone?

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +14Reply
@Shadi For the sake of not owning up to a spelling mistake, you are correct.

I wish I had a deceipt. I really don't know how many times I've deceived someone and who it was.

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +2Reply

Clearly you're not Facebook friends with any of the 234 emos I have on Facebook. Pretty sure their goal in life is to take the most depressing pictures of themselves attached with some Linken Park or Disturbed lyrics, but them up on Facebook, and then refuse to comment back when you ask them how they plan to kill themselves.

@L_Stylz Clearly you're not Facebook friends with any of the 234 emos I have on Facebook. Pretty sure their goal in life is...

The girls on my Facebook are the opposite; and none of them comment back when I ask them to have sex with me.

http://ctrlv.in/46704
because unposed photos are the best y smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Favvkes http://ctrlv.in/46704 because unposed photos are the best

Usually babys are the ones not looking at the cam but here it's one of the only ones actually paying attention.

Grandpa's like "lol wut" and the little girl in the bottom left corner is like "MMMMM BRAINS!"

midnightcookiess avatar midnightcookies Yeah You Are +15Reply

Does anybody else hate taking family portraits. With color coordinated outfits, and odd poses, like looking out in the distance. Tf are we lookin' at? Annoying photographers who keep telling you they're only going to take one more but end up taking 50. And then there is always someone who messes up the shot, thus making the photo shoot take longer than necessary.

Same pose every time: Barney Stinson

Dwights avatar Dwight Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Dwight Same pose every time: Barney Stinson

Derrek Zoolander has the same pose everytime. That was until he realized that there was more to life than being really really ridiculously good looking.

Or in some cases, they make you look shittier than you actually do.

Great Depression....

or the fact that you take pictures of where you went on a trip to help you remember. honestly, if you take pictures of a trip to remember it, it was obviously the best trip ever (vegas or amsterdam only) or not a memorable one

names avatar name Yeah You Are +4Reply

Yeah, because maybe, just maybe, people would rather look back on the good times then look back on bad times.

Reminds me of that 'How I Met Your Mother' Episode.

@shorkian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br...et_Your_Mother)

Hmm, that's odd. Copy and paste, don't just click.

@1547762

I was browsing your lowest rated comments out of boredom, and now I feel like an ass that you got one of them out of helping me...

Said the man who watched the movie One Hour Photo

THE CAKE IS A LIE!

@1547221

asshole d smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Favvkes asshole

What was it?

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way 0Reply
@Shadi What was it?

"The most annoying site on the internet"
If you really want to know, you should click it. I'm not going to spoil the fun by telling you ;P

@1547221

Let's not be clicking the link, okay?

@FlyingGuineaPig Let's not be clicking the link, okay?

i have a very strong urge to click it again wary smilie

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +1Reply

Forget post of the day, this should be post of the amirite, and all other posts should be removed from the site so whenever anyone goes on amirite they see the glory that is this post and nothing else to ensure that the moment is in no way tainted.
"Smiling when you don't want to is not a real smile."
I've never been so thought-provoked in my life.

I read this on Cracked

...what? This didn't really make sense to me...

@HDYKMD ...what? This didn't really make sense to me...

Well you see. What they're trying to say was, Pictures are lies. People pretend to be happy and put on a forced smile for those 5 seconds they are posing. People don't take pictures when they are having a hard time in life, unless they're professional photographers. Glad I could help.

@HDYKMD Gee, thanks but even after your eloquent explanation, it still makes no sense.

Maybe you'd understand if I phrased it this way. Pictures are lies. People pretend to be happy and put on a forced smile for those 5 seconds they are posing. People don't take pictures when they are having a hard time in life, unless they're professional photographers.

I don't see the point in taking a sad picture. People don't want to look back on a picture and be like, "That's me when I was almost too broke to even have a camera!" And people would be like "OMG, why did you frown?! what's wrong with you? You're such a depressed attention seeker!"

Anonymous