+221

500 years ago, if you were forty, you were pretty old. Now, if someone dies at forty, we're shocked because they were so young. It's nice to think that possibly in 500 years, people could be shocked when we die at 75. amirite?

cookiedoughs avatar
2 14
The voters have decided that cookiedough is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I have to disagree. Not with the post, but with the idea of our life expectancy rate becoming higher. I know there are some 70 and 80 year olds out there who get around just fine (my grandparents are some of them) but for the most part it seems as though living past 70 is just pain and suffering for some. I really don't see the point in trying to raise the life expectancy rate we currently have.

@StickCaveman I have to disagree. Not with the post, but with the idea of our life expectancy rate becoming higher. I know there...

I agree.. But, I also think the life expentancy rate will possibly decrease because of the poor food choices most people have been incorparating in their diet.

iceeselenawizs avatar iceeselenawiz Yeah You Are +4Reply

its not about having a "point" in raising life expectancy, its about medicine becoming more and more advanced.

with the ecological crisis and the rising population (1 billion people every ~12 years) earth will go to shit by 2050 anyway.

Living that long is not a good thing at all...

Renates avatar Renate No Way +3Reply
@Renate Living that long is not a good thing at all...

People probably said that about living past forty too.

griffs28s avatar griffs28 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@griffs28 People probably said that about living past forty too.

It's not the specific age that is a bad thing, it's the state of being old, especially with retirement. With medical technology being what it is, there are too many old people living and not benefiting society in any way, and voting selfishly. And not enough young people to take care of them, because for some reason, nobody wants to die. People need to figure out that death is not shameful. It's the only thing that's fair in life. Besides, there will be no more oil in a good 60 - 80 years, possibly less depending on the population. And once where is no more oil, society won't function very well, if at all, for a very long time. So if that happens, then the life expectancy will not get to that point.

Renates avatar Renate No Way -1Reply

The life expectancy was 40 because of the high infant mortality rates. There weren't all kinds of middle-aged people just dropping dead. If one made it past childhood, they normally lived decently long lives. It's called "average life expectancy" for a reason. Some people lived to be really old, but a lot of people died before they were 5, so it evens out.

@Stepharoo The life expectancy was 40 because of the high infant mortality rates. There weren't all kinds of middle-aged...

No... they don't include infant deaths in average life expectancy. Sure, some people lived to be 70 or 80, but they were mostly the elite who could afford to feed and shelter themselves and didn't have to work 12 hours a day in the fields. The vast majority of the population lived very difficult lives riddled with plague and famine and generally died by age 50.

@ali_d No... they don't include infant deaths in average life expectancy. Sure, some people lived to be 70 or 80, but they...

I'm just going off of what my European History professor told me about how they calculated average lifespans.

I think I read some where that in the next fifty years, we can expect an average life expectancy of 125 years old.

twat_waffles avatar twat_waffle Yeah You Are +1Reply

the way medicine is going, in 500 years people will be shocked when someone dies

It's difficult to keep the brain from aging or deteriorating because it's not like we can just go grab a new one. So even if medicine cures every disease, and physical problem, eventually you're body just gives out because it's been running for so long. Also we'd need to de-age the older ages. In 80's 90's most people are pretty skeletal and even with exercise it's hard to keep in shape when you're body has been running for longer than it was intended for.

ScottyDs avatar ScottyD Yeah You Are 0Reply

With medicine these days we are more focused on cure than on prevention. 100 odd years ago things like aids and cancer didn't really exist and it's probably because of diet, lifestyle, weather etc. and I can't see those things changing anytime soon. I reckon we will increase the average life expectancy but only from being so reliant on medicine.

Chipss avatar Chips No Way 0Reply