+185

Atheists and agnostics reading religious texts isn't needless by any means, I actually think it's a great idea, but anyone can see the societal and historical impacts that organized religion has had. A thorough understanding of specifics isn't actually necessary for someone to realize that they have a problem with religion itself, amirite?

Cuban_Bs avatar
3 27
The voters have decided that Cuban_B is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I can't stand when people have read basically every book of the bible for the sole reason of pointing out its flaws. That's just a waste of time.

I_Predict_A_Riots avatar I_Predict_A_Riot Yeah You Are +11Reply
@1478845

No sir, you are incorrect. I'm saying that if you have an issue with dogma in general, then no matter what you are going to have an issue dogma in general.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1478894

I very much doubt it. It didn't for me, but that's not to say that it absolutely wouldn't for anyone else, I suppose. Once again, just to be clear, I'm not advocating shunning further learning. But it seems to me that if you have an issue with a book filled with antiquated ideas, written by a bunch of people with an agenda, I can't see how immersing yourself in that book (no matter how pretty it can be at times) will change your way of thinking.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Cuban_B I very much doubt it. It didn't for me, but that's not to say that it absolutely wouldn't for anyone else, I...

But if you read it and criticize it, no one can say you have no right to criticize it because you haven't read it.

@Frank_n_Furter But if you read it and criticize it, no one can say you have no right to criticize it because you haven't read it.

I'm not talking about criticizing a specific religion. I'm talking about having a problem with the idea of religion in general.

@Frank_n_Furter Then you should know about what you're bashing.

When did I ever suggest that you should bash religion? But many people don't think that a set of rules involving so-called morality or ritual observances are necessary to live a good life. And that's completely okay.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter When did I ever suggest you suggested I should bash religion...?

When did I suggest ANYONE should bash religion? Better?

@Frank_n_Furter When did I suggest you ever suggested that?

When you said, "Then you should know about what you're bashing."

@Cuban_B When you said, "Then you should know about what you're bashing."

ono smilie And this, to you, means I said you suggested people should bash religion...?

@Cuban_B Well if I misinterpreted it, I'm all fucking ears.

If you are going to bash religion, you should know what you're bashing.

@Frank_n_Furter If you are going to bash religion, you should know what you're bashing.

If you can see that that blindly adhering to any set of ideals established by bigots from a different era is detrimental in any way, I think you (or anyone) can bash as they see fit.

@Frank_n_Furter Then they would know something about it, now wouldn't they?

About religion in general, yes. About a specific religion, not necessarily. Which was my whole point. Thank you for finally arriving at that conclusion.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Cuban_B About religion in general, yes. About a specific religion, not necessarily. Which was my whole point. Thank you...

My original comment was to yours "I very much doubt it. It didn't for me, but that's not to say that it absolutely wouldn't for anyone else, I suppose. Once again, just to be clear, I'm not advocating shunning further learning. But it seems to me that if you have an issue with a book filled with antiquated ideas, written by a bunch of people with an agenda, I can't see how immersing yourself in that book (no matter how pretty it can be at times) will change your way of thinking." Then my second comment saying how if you're going to bash about why religion is bad, you should know why you are bashing it, which reading biblical texts and paying attention in history would help with. Religion itself is not bad, religion in control (dark ages?) is.

@Frank_n_Furter My original comment was to yours "I very much doubt it. It didn't for me, but that's not to say that it absolutely...

Disagreeing isn't bashing. And I stand by my original statement. You do not need to examine the specifics of any certain religion to see the historical and societal impacts that organized religion itself had, and continues to have.

@1478845

Also, I agree with what you said about gaining knowledge, which is why I was sure to include that I think it's a great idea to read religious texts in my post.