AtheisticMystics avatar
1 10

I think it depends. If someone repeatedly showed compulsive or destructive behavior, I think that can spill over into all aspects of their lives. Also, sexual harassment or equally purposeful victimization should be taken seriously. Showing no respect or regard for people in that manner could be a good indicator of how they treat people in general. I'm sure that would come into play when enacting certain laws. Adultery is a different story, I think. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, and it's really nobody's business but theirs.

If you can't even be faithful to the person you love, how the hell can anyone trust you'll be faithful to the millions of people you don't know?

@Splash If you can't even be faithful to the person you love, how the hell can anyone trust you'll be faithful to the...

Yeah, but how would anyone know if they really do love each other? What if the marriage is a sham, or she's horrible to him and he was acting out, or any other thing that would make an unhappy marriage? I'm in no way condoning adultery, and I realize that sometimes people cheat just to cheat, but honestly how would the public know enough about the situation to make any sort of valid judgment of character for either spouse?

@AtheisticMystic Especially since the media would give conflicting and biased reports.

Exactly. People in the spotlight (politics especially) are expected to portray a certain image, and many people are paid to help them maintain that image. We only see what we're told.

Yeah, Clinton pretty much proved that you don't have to be a good person to be a good leader.

ihearandomusics avatar ihearandomusic Yeah You Are +4Reply
@ihearandomusic Yeah, Clinton pretty much proved that you don't have to be a good person to be a good leader.

Well they just got married to boost their political careers any way so...?

Tweetbaby14s avatar Tweetbaby14 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I judge politicians solely on their personal lives and not on their political beliefs.

This is the French perspective. We Americans believe integrity/success in their personal life transfers to the work they have on the nation. The French have a strict distinction between personal and professional life.

Mooses avatar Moose Yeah You Are 0Reply

i see what you are saying, but when somebody is breaking so many rules, or breaking a very important rule (such as rape), people tend to trust them less, mostly because of their field, which tends to deal with rules.

Anonymous