+222

Cigarettes are like natural selection for the modern human race, amirite?

3 10

except those who smoke are still able to live long enough to reproduce.

@except those who smoke are still able to live long enough to reproduce.

Which is why this post is wrong. Few smokers die before reproducing age.

@wobbuffet Which is why this post is wrong. Few smokers die before reproducing age.

And if the smoker quit smoking during the pregnancy (some do, some don't) then the traits of being a smoker won't be passed onto the child.

@Frank_n_Furter And if the smoker quit smoking during the pregnancy (some do, some don't) then the traits of being a smoker won't...

Since when are there 'smoking traits'?

I mean, I guess you can have a predisposition to be susceptible to addiction, but 'smoking traits'?

@monstrosity Since when are there 'smoking traits'? I mean, I guess you can have a predisposition to be susceptible to...

Like bad lungs? Your lungs will be shit, but if you don't smoke during the pregnancy that's not going to be passed onto your kid, they wouldn't be getting your undesirable traits. Natural selection has to be something that is your DNA, not something you did to yourself.

@Like bad lungs? Your lungs will be shit, but if you don't smoke during the pregnancy that's not going to be passed...

... Wait. Yours contradicting yourself. You start out by saying there are smoking traits ("like bad lungs") bit then go on to say that natural selection has nothing to do with what you do to yourself, all the while somehow relating this to pregnancy.

What are you talking about?

Yeah, natural selection died out as we developed medicine and innumerable safety measures.

Please don't say that. I don't want my daddy to die.

Smoking does harm fertility, so someone who smokes very often will find it harder to have children.
So it is a bit like natural selection.

_Z_s avatar _Z_ Yeah You Are 0Reply

No, eating too many hamburgers is 4x as likely