+349

It's stupid how in Canada abortion is still legal 9 months into a pregnancy, amirite?

Yadayedas avatar
0 34
The voters have decided that Yadayeda is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1536977

It is not a "fact". Abortions that late in the pregnancy are extremely dangerous, painful, and expensive. No woman would wait nine months to get an abortion without a seriously compelling medical reason. Even if the fetus is anatomically identical to a newborn, women should not be forced into dangerous even fatal childbirth by lawmakers who have no more medical expertise than you or I or knowledge of the woman's circumstance. Causing the deaths of women with forced childbirth is just as bad, or even worse as killing a baby.

@1536977

Nope, pretty sure that's opinion. Show me a law that says killing a 9 month old fetus is the same as homicide. Then you can call it fact.

@1538260

Just because a nine month fetus and day old baby are nearly anatomically identical does not mean that killing one is the same as killing the other. The fetus is inside the woman, residing in her body and her domain. It is a major health risk for her. A problem with the pregnancy can kill the woman or disable her for life. There needs to be a safeguard for the woman so she may remove the fetus without risking death in the event of a emergency. We can't just let the woman die, that would actually be the same as homicide.

I'm also pro-choice (like GolfWang), and I don't think a woman should choose to have an abortion after the first trimester, but if she is having health complications to the point where she could die, she should be able to get an abortion whenever.

AnnDeevas avatar AnnDeeva No Way +29Reply
@AnnDeeva I'm also pro-choice (like GolfWang), and I don't think a woman should choose to have an abortion after the...

Yeah, I agree. The law need not enforce the 9 month deal, it should be moral thing. So that if a woman needed to because of health complications, she wouldn't have to get pulled apart by the law.

Oh Canada. You so crazy.

Health complications can come show up really late. So no, it's not stupid.

@Dameequa Health complications can come show up really late. So no, it's not stupid.

If a health problem shows up late, the doctors could take the baby out beforehand using a cesarean section.

@If a health problem shows up late, the doctors could take the baby out beforehand using a cesarean section.

Exactly, with modern medicine the rate of women dying in childbirth or from other related health problems is extremely small.

Yadayedas avatar Yadayeda Yeah You Are +10Reply
@Yadayeda Exactly, with modern medicine the rate of women dying in childbirth or from other related health problems is...

It doesn't matter how few women die in pregancy. No one has the right to force a woman to die in childbirth.

That's disgusting

afternooners avatar afternooner Yeah You Are +5Reply

I'm 10000% pro-choice. I think that there's nothing wrong with abortion at all, and that it's the best choice for some people. BUUUUUT once a fetus can survive outside the womb, it changes things for me a bit. I mean, when it's a month-old fetus, it's barely anything- it can't feel, it's barely developed, it's not a person yet. But once it's able to survive outside the womb and if it's that far into pregnancy..that is a mostly developed baby. AND it's all excited thinking it's going to live, too! It would be so rude to carry a baby for months and months then just go "oh jk hahah". I'd be such a mad fetus if someone aborted me then.

Uhm it's legal in the U.S. too guys. Just not recommended.

When it comes to late abortions, it's not a black and white issue. First, late term abortions are very expensive, painful, traumatizing, and dangerous. No woman is going to wait nine months to get an abortion without a seriously compelling medical reason.
Pregnancy and childbirth are extremely dangerous. Though rare, there are many serious problems and medical conditions that can make childbirth risky and even fatal for women. We need to allow late term abortions to ensure that women can safely remove the fetus with out her dying or getting seriously injured or disabled. If we try to save all these nine-month fetuses, we'll end up killing a lot of women. Outlawing late abortion won't save peoples lives because, either way, people will die.
When you make a decision on this post, you should not just think about the baby, you should also think about the all the girls and women who could die if the government started forcing them into dangerous and unhealthy childbirth.

@1538450

1) I wish this were true but I know many doctors would fear losing their medical licenses. Doctors who preform abortions illegally are often forced to do them in unsafe "back-alley" environments.
2) I have no idea. But if even one woman has to die, we shouldn't outlaw abortion. It is not just to force anybody to die in childbirth.
3) Maternal death is indeed very rare in Canada: there are only 6.6 maternal deaths per 100,000 live births year every. That's the 9th lowest in the world! However, until no women are dying in childbirth, we need to ensure women have access to procedures that might save their lives.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/...elopment-goals

(trolling all the way) they should just make it a few dozen times longer that it is legal, that way canada would have the most well behaved children of any country!

@1536923

Having an abortion 9 months in is the same thing as killing premature babies at that stage. You think that that is okay?

@Having an abortion 9 months in is the same thing as killing premature babies at that stage. You think that that is okay?

Any fetus is a "premature baby". Any sperm is a "premature baby". Until the baby is born, it should be the decision of the parents.

@shorkian Any fetus is a "premature baby". Any sperm is a "premature baby". Until the baby is born, it should be the decision...

At 9 months the fetus could survive on it's own without the mother. It is fully developed baby.

_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1536923

I'm not 100% sure what you're saying, but I think your point is that since a fetus/baby has no memories regardless of its stage of development there is no difference between killing a fetus and killing a baby? Although I am pro-life from the moment of conception, I can still definitely see a difference between abortion in the two stages. A baby after 24 weeks is usually viable outside of the womb whereas a baby before then is not.

Yadayedas avatar Yadayeda Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Yadayeda I'm not 100% sure what you're saying, but I think your point is that since a fetus/baby has no memories regardless...

No, what I'm trying to say is that, until the woman goes into labour, it should be the decision of the parents whether or not it's aborted. I only dragged memory in there because if you've lost your memories, you might as well be a new born.

what's the difference

they are going to die someday. BUT, if you hit a financial crisis (you get fired, you lose your house) then of course you should be able to have an abortion

names avatar name No Way -9Reply
_Jojo_s avatar _Jojo_ Yeah You Are +29Reply
@_Jojo_ At 9 months, shouldn't' you just give the baby up for adoption in that case?

Adoption doesn't work as well as everybody thinks it does. Plenty of children don't get adopted and are kicked out to fend for themselves when they're 18.

@Adoption doesn't work as well as everybody thinks it does. Plenty of children don't get adopted and are kicked out...

Well the alternative is to kill the person, which really doesn't make sense. Getting adopted > Dying

Yadayedas avatar Yadayeda Yeah You Are +12Reply

It's stupid how abortion is legal.