+409

Disney shouldn't make a movie about a lesbian princess. That's a conversation that a lot of parents don't want to have with their kids at princess-loving age. amirite?

10 278

Well, it doesn't have to be that complicated. At that age, there is no "sexual desire" or "male-female relations." It's just a simple "who likes who." You could just tell your kids, "some people like girls, and some people like boys, and some people like girls AND boys, and it doesn't matter who you like." There's no need to bring in the whole sex thing until later. Introducing the concept of gays and lesbians to your kid wouldn't corrupt them.

@Frank_n_Furter Just because it won't scar them doesn't mean Disney should to make a movie about it.

Well, I never really said that I wanted Disney to make a movie about it. I was only saying that if they WERE to make a movie, it wouldn't have to be all controversial or whatever. It could just be adressed in simple terms.

@mashmallow515 Well, I never really said that I wanted Disney to make a movie about it. I was only saying that if they WERE to...

I don't know what you mean by it wouldn't have to be all controversial. I mean, it some houses it wouldn't be, but in some houses it would be.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Frank_n_Furter I don't know what you mean by it wouldn't have to be all controversial. I mean, it some houses it wouldn't be, but...

Well, I'm just saying. You said "just because it won't scar kids doesn't mean Disney should make it into a movie." I agree. There are plenty of nonscarring things that I don't think Disney should make into movies, like bagels or socks. And that wasn't my point. My point wasn't that Disney should make a lesbian movie. My point is that if they WERE to, they could put it like a simple "some people like girls and some like boys." they wouldn't have to make it all sexual and innapropriate, like OP seems to think.

@mashmallow515 Well, I'm just saying. You said "just because it won't scar kids doesn't mean Disney should make it into a movie."...

People seriously need to just stick to what the post says. The post says Disney shouldn't make that movie, not it would be a huge deal if they did.

@mashmallow515 Well, it doesn't have to be that complicated. At that age, there is no "sexual desire" or "male-female relations."...

Also what the fuck is a "princess-loving age"? I didn't know that there was an age limit on loving Disney princesses.

i really hope by the time i have kids its completely normal to like any gender and kids are just brought up to feel comfortable with things like that.

Kids should be taught that its OK to like anyone, regardless of gender, as young as possible. You want them to be tolerant and open-minded from birth!

Lovaticxos avatar Lovaticxo Yeah You Are +4Reply

Just because it doesn't corrupt them doesn't mean you wanna have that conversation with them, or that they need to know about it.

@Just because it doesn't corrupt them doesn't mean you wanna have that conversation with them, or that they need to...

Well, if you really and truly thought that gay love and straight love are equal, and who you like is only a small part of who you are, and you really didn't mind gay marriage, then you would have no problem explaining that to your kids. There is nothing innapropriate about liking a boy or a girl.

@mashmallow515 Well, if you really and truly thought that gay love and straight love are equal, and who you like is only a small...

There is when you're a todler. I wouldn't want my little pre schooler to have a boyfriend. I guess I just have a problem with love in general then lol sense I don't wanna explain it to my kids until their old enough to handle mature adult conversations. That's terrible logic.

@There is when you're a todler. I wouldn't want my little pre schooler to have a boyfriend. I guess I just have a...

You've never seen a toddler go up to one of their friends and declare, "You're my boyfriend now!" It's totally harmless.

Ferreal, saying some girls like girls is not an adult conversation. Your kids will very well understand the term "like" by preschool. I even had a pretend marriage with someone I liked in preschool.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +15Reply

I wasn't even talking about sex. I don't think kids need to be told that. No, it probably won't corrupt them, it's just not age appropriate. Yes, they are very accepting, but again, a conversation about different sexualities is not age appropriate for a 5 year old.

@1558346

It's not different, just not something you'd want to explain.

@It's not different, just not something you'd want to explain.

No, that's something that you wouldn't want to explain. Stop trying to hide your homophobia, you're not fooling anyone.

@brunetterox915 No, that's something that you wouldn't want to explain. Stop trying to hide your homophobia, you're not fooling...

You can tell by looking at the votes that I'm not the only one who wouldn't want to explain that. This post is upvoted, and not every one who upvoted it is a homophobe.

@You can tell by looking at the votes that I'm not the only one who wouldn't want to explain that. This post is...

I'm not talking about the other people, I'm talking about you. It's absolutely no different than explaining a heterosexual relationship and I find it really sad that there are people that condemn homosexuality because they don't wanna have a conversation with their kid.

@brunetterox915 I'm not talking about the other people, I'm talking about you. It's absolutely no different than explaining a...

OK you're right. You obviously know about my beliefs better than me. Even though I'm a female transgender (biologically female, dress like male) and like woman, I'm a homophobe.

I'm not looking forward to the sex talk with my kid either, does that mean I condemn sex?

@OK you're right. You obviously know about my beliefs better than me. Even though I'm a female transgender...

Showing a girl who likes another girl doesn't mean you need to tell your 4 year old about sex. I don't get how you're relating 2 people liking each other to needing to tell your child where they came from.

And I'm sorry I misjudged you, but honestly the way you were talking can seriously be considered homophobic.

@brunetterox915 Showing a girl who likes another girl doesn't mean you need to tell your 4 year old about sex. I don't get how...

One of my first comments says "I'm not talking about sex."
I also didn't relate the two things until I used sex as an analogy.

Being transgender and being not homophobic aren't mutually exclusive. The same way someone who is gay/lesbian/bi can still be cis-sexist

@I'm a girl who likes girls. I'm not a homophobe, trust me.

I thought you were transgender and your user name is male... but now you're saying your a girl? lolwut smilie

@ I'm a girl. I like girls. I dress like a male.

Well then ono smilie to you because that's not what being transgender means. If you are transgender your sex organs don't match up with your gender identity but if you identify as a girl but just likes to dress like a male does NOT make you transgender.

@Well then to you because that's not what being transgender means. If you are transgender your sex organs...

trans·gen·der/tranzˈjendər/
Adjective:
Identified with a gender other than the biological one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender

http://www.isna.org/faq/transgender

Before you try to correct people, don't be ignorant on what you're talking about. I think I know my sexuality.

@trans·gen·der/tranzˈjendər/ Adjective: Identified with a gender other than the biological...

You identified as a girl... "I'm a girl", not "I'm a male but was born with female sex organs" is that what you meant? I know plenty of women who prefer to wear male clothes (some are lesbian some are straight they just don't like wearing feminine clothes) but that does not make them male or transgender.

@You identified as a girl... "I'm a girl", not "I'm a male but was born with female sex organs" is that what you...

I isaid I'm a girl because that's biologically what I am. I feel like a guy, but obviously if I'm telling you I feel like a dude, I'm going to have to say I'm female. " female transgender (biologically female, dress like male) and like woman" even if I used the wrong word, I explained what I am. I'm done arguing with you over who/what I am, especially sense you refuse to listen or view the links with the definition of the words. Thanks.

@I isaid I'm a girl because that's biologically what I am. I feel like a guy, but obviously if I'm telling you I...

Ok, thanks, you just did a very bad job explaining before, saying "I'm a girl" and not "I'm biologically a girl" presents as you identifying as a girl, especially if you didn't actually say you feel like a male just dress like one, which by the way is NOT the definition of transgender just dressing like a male but being biologically female. And you edited your previous comment to include the wiki link that wasn't there before.

@Ok, thanks, you just did a very bad job explaining before, saying "I'm a girl" and not "I'm biologically a girl"...

TRANSGENDER DOES NOT HAVE A DEFINITE DEFINITION. IT IS AN UMBRELLA TERM. If you even read the link, you'd see cross dresser is underneath transgender. And no, the link wasn't edited in.

@TRANSGENDER DOES NOT HAVE A DEFINITE DEFINITION. IT IS AN UMBRELLA TERM. If you even read the link, you'd see cross...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dressing

Cross-dressing runs significantly counter to those norms and, therefore, can be seen as a type of transgender behavior.[citation needed] It does not, however, necessarily indicate transgender identity; a person who cross-dresses does not always identify as being of a gender other than their assigned gender.
The term cross-dressing denotes an action or a behavior without attributing or proposing causes for that behavior. Some people automatically connect cross-dressing behavior to transgender identity or sexual, fetishist, and homosexual behavior, but the term cross-dressing itself does not imply any motives.

@OK. You're right. I'm wrong. I'm not a transgender at all.

I didn't say that I was just saying that if you are a cross dresser doesn't mean you are transgender (which you then explained you do actually feel like a male not just dress in male clothing so I get it y smilie) I was confused because in reply to me saying that trans* people CAN be homophobic the same way a homosexual can be cis-sexist, you said you were a girl who likes girls, can you understand where the confusion came from?

@I didn't say that I was just saying that if you are a cross dresser doesn't mean you are transgender (which you...

I'm saying cross dressing falls under transgender. I cross dress, and identify with being a male, but I don't want to get sex reassignment surgery. I don't just cross dress, cross dressers don't always identify with that gender, but cross dressing does fall underneath the umbrella term transgender. I don't understand how you could be confused. If you think transgenders can't be cross dressers, and that transgenders are people who identify with the sex opposite they were born, and I said I'm a girl who dresses like a male, then obviously I am a girl who identifies as a male. If you were confused at my usage of the word transgender, "I thought you were transgender and your user name is male... but now you're saying your a girl?" was not a very clear way to express that thought.
Transgender:
2.1 Transsexual
2.2 Cross-dresser
2.3 Transvestite
2.4 Drag kings and queens
2.5 Genderqueer
2.6 People who live cross-gender
2.7 Androgyne
2.8 Bigender

@I'm saying cross dressing falls under transgender. I cross dress, and identify with being a male, but I don't want...

Ok, yes I know that transgenders can be crossdressers, but being a crossdresser doesn't make you automatically transgender.

Dressing like a male does not automatically make you identify as a male, like I said I know plenty of women who only wear male clothing but still identify as female some are lesbians so saying "girl who likes girls but dresses like a male" doesn't necessary mean being transgender.

I've already said that I get you ARE actually transgender once you clarified that you didn't just mean that you were a girl who wore male clothes but actually felt like a male just wasn't born biologically a male.

Dude... they even said "I'm a girl, but my name is male because I want to be one." They said they were a girl who dressed like a guy once, not constantly.

Transgender (pronounced /trænzˈdʒɛndər/) is a general term applied to a variety of individuals, behaviors, and groups involving tendencies to vary from culturally conventional gender roles.
Transgender is the state of one's "gender identity" (self-identification as woman, man, neither or both) not matching one's "assigned sex" (identification by others as male, female or intersex based on physical/genetic sex).[1] "Transgender" does not imply any specific form of sexual orientation; transgender people may identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual, or asexual; some may consider conventional sexual orientation labels inadequate or inapplicable to them. The precise definition for transgender remains in flux, but includes:
"Of, relating to, or designating a person whose identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender roles, but combines or moves between these."[2]
"People who were assigned a sex, usually at birth and based on their genitals, but who feel that this is a false or incomplete description of themselves."[3]
"Non-identification with, or non-presentation as, the sex (and assumed gender) one was assig...

@Transgender (pronounced /trænzˈdʒɛndər/) is a general term applied to a variety of individuals, behaviors, and...

assigned at birth. Are you seriously trying to sit here and act like you know about someone's sexuality better than them??

@assigned at birth. Are you seriously trying to sit here and act like you know about someone's sexuality better than...

No they did a horrible job at explaining that they were infact transgender by constantly saying they were "a girl who wears male clothing" and not actually felt like a male, they did explain themselves better and I understood for fucks sake.

@No they did a horrible job at explaining that they were infact transgender by constantly saying they were "a girl...

They only said that once actually. They explained quite a few times what they were. And you just sent them a reply about how they're wrong about the term of their sexuality. Stop, just stop.

Yeah, an upvote doesn't mean I'm a homophobe, just that some things do not need to be told to young kids...

chichichichias avatar chichichichia Yeah You Are -3Reply
@1558983

I think the parent can do the explaining, I don't think it should be a Disney thing. HOW THE HELL IS A LESBIAN PRINCESS GONNA BECOME A QUEEN AND CARRY ON THE ROYAL BLOOD?

@1559022

Only if the sperm donor was also royal, because princesses have to marry princes! That would be terrible to put in a kids movie lol. I don't think Disney is going to change very many people. It could influence the kids, but if their parents are homophobes they wouldn't let them see it. I

@I wasn't even talking about sex. I don't think kids need to be told that. No, it probably won't corrupt them, it's...

I was given 'that' conversation at 5 years old...
"Sometimes, men love other men, and women love other women..."
Not that hard to say.

Snow white: girl lives with seven men, prince feels up her dead body
Sleeping beauty: guy breaks into a house and makes out with an unconscious 16 year-old
Beauty and the Beast: girl falls in love with a wookie who kidnapped her father
Cinderella: guy travels around the whole kingdom to look at girls feet. Foot fetish much?
Mulan: girl cross-dresses and goes skinny dipping in a lake with a few dozen men
Lady and the Tramp: canines make-out with a bowl of spaghetti
The Little Mermaid: guy gets it on with a human-fish hybrid and almost marries an octopus
The Princess and the Frog: girl makes out with a frog
And you think a lesbian princess would raise too many questions?

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist No Way +131Reply
@fEMMAnist Snow white: girl lives with seven men, prince feels up her dead body Sleeping beauty: guy breaks into a house and...

It looks like you just searched the names of those movies on Google Images and based your entire comment off of that.

You really want Disney, with all the things in their movies you just listed, to show your kids their idea on homosexuality? Cuz I wouldn't. They will learn about it when it's time, and they will learn the truth.

@You really want Disney, with all the things in their movies you just listed, to show your kids their idea on...

You really think that Disney teaches children everything, don't you? If it is just another thing Disney fucks up, they will see it as equal to everything else, not a bad thing. Not to mention, once Disney picks it up, EVERYTHING will, so they get other points of view as well

@You really think that Disney teaches children everything, don't you? If it is just another thing Disney fucks up...

If you go to a country for the first time, that is the only idea you will have on that country. I doubt everything would pick it up after Disney, because by looking at the vote of this post, it would fail.

@If you go to a country for the first time, that is the only idea you will have on that country. I doubt everything...

I literally raised an eyebrow when reading this comment
There are TONS of countries I've never been too
That doesn't mean I have no clue what any of those countries are like

Also, how representative is amirite?

A lot of parents should get the fuck over it.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B No Way +107Reply
@Cuban_B A lot of parents should get the fuck over it.

If I could have sex with any comment in the world, I would choose that one.

Get the fuck over what? It's not like I'm against homosexuality, I'm against movies meant for children trying to spread awareness on different kinds of sexuality. The parents can do that themselves, and I think it's weird and mildly inappropriate if Disney took it into their own hands to spread sexuality awareness.

@1558991

Disney making a movie isn't going to make homosexuality common. The majority of people are straight, and it is always going to be that way. There is a reason it is the majority, and it's because if it wasn't life wouldn't be sustained.

@Disney making a movie isn't going to make homosexuality common. The majority of people are straight, and it is...

Okay, I'm also pretty sick of that argument as well. People reproduce like fucking rabbits. If you want to worry about the population, then worry about the surplus of people in this world. Also, something being commonplace isn't the same thing as it existing in a majority. Blonde people aren't a majority, that doesn't make it odd to see one.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B No Way +32Reply
@Cuban_B Okay, I'm also pretty sick of that argument as well. People reproduce like fucking rabbits. If you want to worry...

Yes, something being the most common makes it the majority, that's what majority is. I never said minority= odd. I don't know why you're bringing reproducing and population into this

@Get the fuck over what? It's not like I'm against homosexuality, I'm against movies meant for children trying to...

They should get over not wanting to have a conversation about why two people love each other, because that's what we're talking about. Look, homosexuality has been around forever and it's not going anywhere and it's no worse than Disney portraying a sixteen year old getting married, and people seem fine with that. I'm just pretty sick with people hiding behind bullshit reasons to justify their prejudices. It's this type of thinking that perpetuates discrimination against gays. Did you ever wonder why it took Disney so long to make a black princess? Shit has to change eventually.

Cuban_Bs avatar Cuban_B No Way +27Reply
@Cuban_B They should get over not wanting to have a conversation about why two people love each other, because that's what...

Discriminate against gays? DUDE. I'M A TRANSSEXUAL LESBIAN. My post is upvoted. This is a pretty liberal site. I'm POSITIVE not everyone who voted YYA is prejudice. It's annoying how you can't say anything about gay people without being accused of being a biggot.

@Discriminate against gays? DUDE. I'M A TRANSSEXUAL LESBIAN. My post is upvoted. This is a pretty liberal site. I'm...

You were born a girl. You feel like a guy. You like girls. That makes you a transexual heterosexual (straight trans guy). Your sexual identity keeps changing.

There's this thing called "self hate." There are blacks that are racists against blacks, women who think their place is in the kitchen etc...

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +16Reply

No, you're not. A transsexual lesbian is someone who was born as a male but is transitioning/has transitioned into a female and dates women. Not a biological female who feels male and dates women. And transsexuals want SRS, which you stated above that you didn't. Transgendered straight male? Sure. Transsexual lesbian? Way off base, dude.

"Well honey, some boys like boys, some girls like girls, some boys like girls, and some girls like boys. In fact, some people like girls and boys!"

How is the above statement bad in any way? :/

Vitaes avatar Vitae No Way +20Reply
@Vitae "Well honey, some boys like boys, some girls like girls, some boys like girls, and some girls like boys. In fact...

It's not bad. Where has any reasonable person on here said it was bad? I don't think you should talk about relationships, EVEN STRAIGHT ONES, until the child is old enough to hold a mature, adult conversation. How is THAT bad?

@It's not bad. Where has any reasonable person on here said it was bad? I don't think you should talk about...

"Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"Who do you like?"

"DARE. I meant dare."

"I dare you to tell me who you like."

~

Small children are exposed to the concept of mature relationships the moment they learn what a parent is, and will always be aware of it. That's why some small children have crushes.

Vitaes avatar Vitae No Way +23Reply

Erm...EVERY Disney princess movie is about a relationship

And you would be surprised how understanding and accepting little kids are
Though they also can be pretty cruel...They're so honest

If they're introduced to it in an enclosed family space it will be a lot less awkward than when your little girl points to a lesbian couple in public and asks why two girls are holding hands. You can't shield children from the real world forever.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +82Reply
@pikabeau If they're introduced to it in an enclosed family space it will be a lot less awkward than when your little girl...

It's not about shielding them... there's no reason to shield your kids from homosexuality. I agree, it would be a lot less awkward. But you should have the talk with your children yourself, I don't think Disney should be doing it for you.

@It's not about shielding them... there's no reason to shield your kids from homosexuality. I agree, it would be a...

It wouldn't be Disney doing it for you, it would be them sparking the conversation. Let's face it, those kind of talks are hard to start. If a child watches a movie that sparks questions it makes it easier to have that conversation.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +12Reply
@1558994

Why would children see more homosexuality in their life? Just because it might be more accepted doesn't mean it will be more common. It's ok for Disney to make movies about hetero relationships because kids see enough hetero relationships to know what they're really like. Kids shouldn't be influenced by Disney's idea of what a homosexual relationship, because they won't see very many in real life, especially if they're young enough to still be watching Disney movies.

@Why would children see more homosexuality in their life? Just because it might be more accepted doesn't mean it...

Well, you don't see many flying carpets, genies, dwarves,talking animals, or fairies in real life either. I don't see that harming kids in any way.

@mashmallow515 Well, you don't see many flying carpets, genies, dwarves,talking animals, or fairies in real life either. I don't...

Because gay people are fictional magical creatures and you can tottaly compare them to that.
I never said it was harmful.

@Because gay people are fictional magical creatures and you can tottaly compare them to that. I never said it was...

Well, maybe you never said it was harmful. But you basically implied that whatever kids see on TV, they'll take it word for word and believe it all their lives and become very confused adults. Fine, I'll use another analogy: You don't see people walking down the street singing about their lives, or wearing whatever Jasmine is wearing all the time in India. Kids know that it's a Disney fantasy movie. They won't take it to heart. I didn't grow up stunned that Simba was a lie, and lions couldn't really talk.

Once homosexuality is accepted more people will come out. Though it probably won't be a great increase, it will be an increase none the less.

But it would be so HOT.

@God_the_Almighty But it would be so HOT.

I find this funny because you're name. & I think it'd be sweet.

Now we know... god really WAS the one that made lesbians. Hey, deities need entertainment too, I guess

There should be no awkwardness in a conversation about being Gay/lesbian with your young children, seeing as children are usually very accepting. If you don't want to have that conversation, don't show it to your child.

@It's kind of impossible to control everything your child sees.

It's not impossible to control everything your YOUNG child sees.

@Dinosaurs It's not impossible to control everything your YOUNG child sees.

My 3 (almost 4) year old nephew figured out who to work the remote and take off blocked channels. Yes, it is. Especially if once in a great while you won't be the one watching them.

Frank_n_Furters avatar Frank_n_Furter Yeah You Are -3Reply

A 5 year old could easily see it at a friends house.

@1558269

My question was never "why does that boy like that other boy?" but "why can't a boy marry a boy."

eldoritos avatar eldorito No Way +28Reply
@1558269

Of course they won't be phased or think anything of it, that's not the point. The point is that they would learn from a Disney movie.

I understand where you're coming from, but why is it any better exposing young children to heterosexual relationships? It's the same concept, really. Just because there are more heterosexuals than homosexuals doesn't mean that you should shield your kids from different types of relationships. Homosexual couples are a fact of life at this point, so there's no sense in hiding it from your kids. If you're not comfortable discussing different sexual orientations with your children in an age-appropriate manner, then maybe you shouldn't expose them to romantic relationships at all. In this day and age, it makes no sense for kids to learn about heterosexuality now but shield them from homosexuality until they're older.

@foryoublue I understand where you're coming from, but why is it any better exposing young children to heterosexual...

I wouldn't want to explain a heterosexual relationship to a young child either.

@I wouldn't want to explain a heterosexual relationship to a young child either.

hahaha then your kid shouldn't watch movies? or go outside? or speak to adults/teens? and you should be single?

@meemer147 hahaha then your kid shouldn't watch movies? or go outside? or speak to adults/teens? and you should be single?

Of course. Because all that stuff leads to explaining a relationship to a small child.

@Of course. Because all that stuff leads to explaining a relationship to a small child.

are you being serious or using sarcasm? I honestly can't tell. and what's so bad about a relationship? It's just like "people wanna be around each other. a lot. because they like each other. a lot."
clearly, all these commenters got it wrong. You're not homophobic, you're afraid of small children. Have you ever spoken to a child?

@meemer147 are you being serious or using sarcasm? I honestly can't tell. and what's so bad about a relationship? It's just...

Yes, I was being sarcastic. And yes, I raise my little sister because our Mom died. I don't want to explain to her at 5 or 6 years old the concept of romantic love.

@Yes, I was being sarcastic. And yes, I raise my little sister because our Mom died. I don't want to explain to her...

But all Disney movies already focus on romance...?
If you're really opposed to explaining the concept of romantic love in general, then shouldn't this post technically be "Disney should stop including romance in their princess movies, amirite?"

@But all Disney movies already focus on romance...? If you're really opposed to explaining the concept of romantic...

I'm not opposed to the idea of romantic love, or a kid seeing it, I'm opposed to the idea of explaining it to them at such a young age.

@I'm not opposed to the idea of romantic love, or a kid seeing it, I'm opposed to the idea of explaining it to them...

I think your problem is that you suffer from the misconception that "homosexuality" or "heterosexuality" is just that-- a SEXUAL attraction. That may be so when people get older, but when kids are young, they feel no sexual attraction. They just feel a romantic attraction that they can't explain-- crushes, liking someone, things like that. And if you have a kid, you bet at some point of their childhood they're going to have a crush. Lots of them, in fact. So what's wrong with being a boy and having a crush on another boy? Nothing-- it's just like being a girl and having a crush on a boy. It's not scandalous, sexual, or anything innapropriate for kids.

@mashmallow515 I think your problem is that you suffer from the misconception that "homosexuality" or "heterosexuality" is just...

Noooo, that's why I've been calling it ROMANTIC love, not SEXUAL love. If the kid does it themselves because that's who they are, no shit it's not inapropriate. But I'm not going to have a talk with my kids about crushes and love until they are old enough to understand it, which kids in their Disney Princess watching stage are not.

Agreed. It's not that I think them seeing a couple of whatever gender is going to hurt them. I just don't want to explain romantic love to my son. Little kids are curious, and ask "why" after every question you just answered. I'd rather them experience love than have it explained, I really don't even know what I would say.

Also, they see heterosexual relationships all the time, I assume every day if the parent is in one. They didn't learn about hetero sexual relationships from Disney, they learned them from real life, which is how they should learn about homosexuality too, not from a Disney movie. Kids don't usually question "Why is that girl with that man?" because they see it all the time, it would never occur to them to ask why. If they saw two girls, even in the future if we lived in a more accepting society, heterosexual relationships would still be the most common kind, and they would still ask why is that woman kissing that woman, and bring you into a talk about relationships sooner than you would like to discuss it with them.

@1559000

Mine explained it to me when I started dating. Yours might have explained it to you if you saw two girls kissing and wanted to know why, and I think having those questions raised and explained at such a young age shouldn't be necessary.

@Mine explained it to me when I started dating. Yours might have explained it to you if you saw two girls kissing...

Well, I'm sure nobody had to explain to you the concept of love between a man and a woman. You knew that an attraction existed, you knew they lived happily forever after and got married or whatever.Nobody had to sit you down and explain, "it's a sexual attraction between two genders" or whatever.
and it's the exact same for gays and lesbians. If you see it at a young age, you won't question it, you probably won't even think to ask your parents. You'll just accept it.

Why? It's just part of life, kids are going to see people in relationships at a young age. Explaining it doesn't have to be complicated, just say that they love each other.

Why should that be a problem? It's a conversation they're going to have to have with their children eventually anyways, so why try to shield them from it? Having a Disney movie with a lesbian princess or a gay prince could make a great learning opportunity. If children are brought up being taught to except all kinds of people the world would be a much better and less judgmental place. Homosexuality is a fact of life and it's no different than a man and a woman being together. Being homosexual myself, I find this post to be extremely upsetting and quite frankly, rather ignorant.

oheylizs avatar oheyliz No Way +31Reply
@How is this ignorant? What are they showing they don't know? Ignorant=/=stupid.

I never said it was stupid. They're proving that they're too ignorant and close-minded to have a conversation with their children about something that's a fact of life and quite frankly, isn't a big deal.

@oheyliz Why should that be a problem? It's a conversation they're going to have to have with their children eventually...

They're gonna learn about how babies are made eventually too but that doesn't mean I'm gonna let them see a sex scene. I'm sorry if this offended you though. I'm a girl, but my name is male because I want to be one, I honestly have nothing against homosexuality.

@They're gonna learn about how babies are made eventually too but that doesn't mean I'm gonna let them see a sex...

But love is not inappropriate. It is simething children learn from an early age. Why shouldn't homosexuality factor in?

If you have nothing against homosexuality then you wouldn't mind someone making a kids movie with a homosexual character?

@If you have nothing against homosexuality then you wouldn't mind someone making a kids movie with a homosexual...

IF I had nothing against homosexuality? I don't. I'm a transsexual lesbian ono smilie

So I guess I'm against myself.

@IF I had nothing against homosexuality? I don't. I'm a transsexual lesbian So I guess I'm against myself.

Transexual lesbian refers to a MTF transexual who likes women. Like my friend is a gay transexual, which means he is a FTM who likes men.

You dont seem to understand that the sexual orientation of a transsexual is based on the gender they want to be, not the gender they were born as.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are 0Reply

I can say from a first hand experience, it's not corrupting, it's not awkward, it's not even a "conversation" really. my little sister is best friends with a girl named Ryan and her school. Ryan has two moms. My little sister has mentioned this only when she's talking about going to Ryan's house, or parents, or marriages. the only difference between how my little sister is and how she could've been (had she not been "exposed" to homosexuality) is that when talking about getting married, she doesnt think about the gender of the person she marries. I once asked her who she was going to marry, and she said "I don't know. someone nice."

@meemer147 I can say from a first hand experience, it's not corrupting, it's not awkward, it's not even a "conversation"...

I never said it was corrupting, but it would be awkward. Your little sister witnessed it in real life not a movie, and she's your sister, not your kid, you probably aren't the one explaining these things to her. Even if it's not corrupting or awkward, doesn't mean Disney should make a movie about it. I personally think it would be very weird if a children's movie was trying to spread awareness on different kinds of sexuality.

@I never said it was corrupting, but it would be awkward. Your little sister witnessed it in real life not a movie...

LOL but no one had to "explain" it to her. because children accept things if you show them through your own actions that it's acceptable.

@meemer147 LOL but no one had to "explain" it to her. because children accept things if you show them through your own actions...

YOUR OWN ACTIONS. Not what they see in movies. Homosexuality is perfectly acceptable. But you see heterosexuality more, so kids don't really need a slanted influence from a movie when they already don't see very much real homosexuality.

@YOUR OWN ACTIONS. Not what they see in movies. Homosexuality is perfectly acceptable. But you see heterosexuality...

your own actions meaning, you don't question the homosexuality in the movie. You don't act like it's weird, or try to have a "conversation" with them, because if you show them that there's nothing strange about the movie, they won't question it. My little sister watched the Lion King, and the first time she didn't know that Mufasa had died. She thought he was sleeping. The second time we watched it, my mom started crying, and after that she understood that it was a sad scene. The same is applicable to movies with homosexual relationships- if you don't react to the relationship in a bad way, the child won't either.

By the time Disney movies started showing that, they would see it, as it would be more ok to display ones love on the streets, at work, and at school.

@By the time Disney movies started showing that, they would see it, as it would be more ok to display ones love on...

Just because it will be more accepted doesn't mean it will be more common. Small children generally don't spend a lot of time on the streets, at work, or at school, and the kids at their school usually aren't displaying love. Even if people do display gay love more, how the hell is a gay princess gonna become queen and carry on the royal bloodline?

"Mommy, why are those two princesses kissing each other"
-"Because they love each other, sweetie."

What's so hard about that?

It would be ok, but it shouldn't be made just to be PC. They should only make it if they think it will make a lot of money.

Brettward95s avatar Brettward95 Yeah You Are +25Reply

I read through most of the comments and my opinion has not changed. I'm rather disappointed with the voting. This is not a matter of Disney making a movie like this in order to "promote" anything or spread the word or whatever. It's simply another representation of life. So what if gay people are minorities? That doesn't matter at all. Being gay is natural and not something to be hidden. Disney should have movies that entertain and draw from things in real life (and things that aren't in real life, like magic) without having to worry that some ignorant twerp will complain that Disney is exposing their child to LIFE at a young age. We expose them to heterosexual relationships in Disney movies. Homosexual relationships are NO DIFFERENT. Again minority vs. majority DOES NOT MATTER and it's ignorant and seemingly prejudiced to think otherwise.

Anyone else lazy to read the massive debate above or is it just me?

if the parents have an issue with them watching it, then just don't let their kid watch it or get the hell over it. SERIOUSLY

@ilikefurrywolves4815 if the parents have an issue with them watching it, then just don't let their kid watch it or get the hell over it...

You can't control everything your kid watches. It's not as simple as "get the hell over it". I wouldn't want Disney to teach my kids about relationships, and that's ok.

@You can't control everything your kid watches. It's not as simple as "get the hell over it". I wouldn't want Disney...

"I wouldn't want Disney to teach my kids about relationships."
Do you know how ridiculous that sounded?

@mashmallow515 "I wouldn't want Disney to teach my kids about relationships." Do you know how ridiculous that sounded?

Are you going to give me a reason or just insult me?

What if they show two dykey lesbians with short hair wearing flannal. Is that how all lesbians are? No. But if that's the only image a child has of one, that is what they think a lesbian will be.

@Are you going to give me a reason or just insult me? What if they show two dykey lesbians with short hair wearing...

What if they show a skinny, "girly" girl in a big pink dress falling in love with a "manly", strong guy? Is that how all hetero couples are? No. If you're going to talk about kids making generalizations from DIsney movies, at least apply it to all of them, not just these hypothetical ones. And, the whole point would be that that wouldn't be the kid's only image, because the movie would show that being lgbt is normal.

Sure, Disney does not HAVE to make a movie including a homosexual couple, but that doesn't mean that it absolutely should not make one. Your comments say that you just don't want explaining a relationship to be awkward. You don't find homosexuality to be awkward, just relationships. The worse that can happen is acceptance being spread. I apologize in advance for any bad grammar; my iPod sucks.

Oh yeah, god forbid anyone has to talk to their children...

God_s avatar God_ No Way +17Reply

Maybe Disney should make a movie with a lesbian princess because it can help the parents who do want to have that conversation. The parents who don't want to have the conversation can just not show it to their kids.

@SpearmintMilk Maybe Disney should make a movie with a lesbian princess because it can help the parents who do want to have that...

1 thing is that I don't think anyone should rely on Disney to teach their kids because they won't do it themselves, and 2 you can't control everything your kid watches, especially if they have friends.

@1 thing is that I don't think anyone should rely on Disney to teach their kids because they won't do it themselves...

It's not relying on it they are still having a conversation, but they can use it as a reference, for example "Sometimes a someone likes someone else even though they're both men/women, like the princess in __ and there is nothing wrong with that".

You can't control everything your kid watches, but when they are little you can, and you can ask their friend's parents to not let them watch that movie if you want. My friend's mum didn't want her to watch the movie Dumbo because she thought it'd be too emotionally traumatising for her and she managed to stop her from seeing it until she was a teenager. But not letting her watch it didn't shield her from all emotionally traumatising events, and not letting a kid watch a Disney movie with a lesbian princess in it is not going to shield them form homosexuality, they're gonna see couples hold hands and kiss in public, or go to school with someone with two mums or dads etc.

Why should Disney have to cater have to not make a movie that could potentially make them a lot of money and do some good in breaking down a homophobic society because it'd make a few parent's uncomfortable?

@SpearmintMilk It's not relying on it they are still having a conversation, but they can use it as a reference, for example...

It's not about "shielding your kids from homosexuality" it's about not seeing a real relationship and thinking all gay people will be like the one in the movie.

@It's not about "shielding your kids from homosexuality" it's about not seeing a real relationship and thinking all...

Wait so what do you think all the other Disney movies are? They aren't realistic hetrosexual relationships either.

@SpearmintMilk Wait so what do you think all the other Disney movies are? They aren't realistic hetrosexual relationships either.

God I don't know how many times I've explained this >:| I wish you people would read comments before posting, but I'm patient so I'll explain. They don't see many gay relationships, they don't know how one actually is. They see hetero relationships all the time, especially if they're parents are straight, they know what a real heterosexual relationship is like from seeing it in real life. If you hear about something without ever actually witnessing it, that is how you think whatever that something is like. Also, idk where you live but this is not a homophobic society. I'm gay and people get PISSED if anyone talks shit about it.

@God I don't know how many times I've explained this >:| I wish you people would read comments before posting, but...

I missed the bit where you said that this is not a homophobic society, I to disagree. I'm bi and have experienced people thinking of me negatively because of it and I have lots of gay friends some have been bashed because they are gay, I knew a guy who was a gay and a cross-dresser and he was bashed and stabbed by a broken beer bottle and the police did shit about it. Thousands of hate crimes based on sexuality are reported every year and even more are un-reported. In most western countries same sex marriage is still illegal and don't have in place any anti-discrimination laws meaning someone can lose their job if their employer finds out they are gay, and it happens, there are still countries that stop gay people from serving in the millitary and adopting and even giving blood. Gay teenagers make up 40% of homeless young people, over 50% of gay school students have experienced bulling because of their sexuality. I'm glad that you don't experience it personality but to claim that homophobia is over is ridiculous. If a kid's movie helps stop this prejudice that's a good thing. Also if you're gay how do you plan to get around explaining that to your kids/ kids of friends and family?

@SpearmintMilk I missed the bit where you said that this is not a homophobic society, I to disagree. I'm bi and have experienced...

I'll do it when they're old enough to hold a mature adult conversation and wonder about these things naturally. If they never thought about it before, then there is no need to explain it yet. I'm not going to give my little sister (I raise her) the talk about how babies are made until she askes me, and I won't tell her the girl I bring over is my girlfriend, just like I wouldn't tell her it was my boyfriend if she was a dude. I think the talks should come on naturally. And I think there are better ways to spread awareness than with children's movies, which no one but the children who's parents let them watch it would see so the obviously were ok with homosexuality in the first place.

Oh yeah because everyone is going to read the whole comment section again just in case you've posted another comment.

Why should that matter? And lots of kids do see homosexual relationships, my parent's had lots of gay and lesbian friends, they just explained it to us by saying some guys like other guys and some girls like other girls, that's who they are and there is nothing wrong with being different. I'm sure a lot of kids grew up thinking Pocahontas was how Native American's really were, but then when they grew up they would have learnt the truth, the same as if there was a gay couple in a Disney movie. I assure you if they made it the world will not end and society will not fall to pieces.

@SpearmintMilk Oh yeah because everyone is going to read the whole comment section again just in case you've posted another...

Read it again in case I've posted a new comment? It was explained before you ever left your first comment. Just because your parents had gay friends doesn't mean they all do. Shit, most parents don't even get to see their friends. Historical facts=/= your view and opinion on a group in society. Once you've grown up with a certain opinion, it doesn't just POOF go away. It's not like learnig Santa wasn't real, because it's an opinion, not something that could be proven.

I assure you, I never thought it would, but that doesn't mean it's not a bad idea.

If you think about it, homosexuality isn't exclusive to television. Even if it's not featured on a movie or show that your child watches, chances are that they are going to see a gay or lesbian couple in real life.
One way or another, someone will have to explain to your child how love and relationships work.

Homosexual relationships should not be a taboo, and it isn't something that should be censored or excluded by children's shows. It's pretty disappointing to see that a majority of voters here would not want to have that talk with their young child. It's just love.

@treescancatchfire If you think about it, homosexuality isn't exclusive to television. Even if it's not featured on a movie or show...

I wish you people would read the comments to learn about the reasoning. They will see it in real life. This is fine. It's not fine for them to get their idea of relationships from a movie, homosexuals are a minority, and sense kids won't have any prior knowledge on homosexual relationships, they will believe it's just like in the movie.

@I wish you people would read the comments to learn about the reasoning. They will see it in real life. This is...

My comment was in response to the post itself, and to the way that the majority of people had voted. The other comments are irrelevant. My opinion and observation did not change from when I saw the post on the homepage to when I read the comments afterward.

So with all due respect, I call bullshit on the 'reasoning'. Just because homosexuals are a minority, that does not mean that kids won't have any prior knowledge of their existence, and it certainly does not mean that it's not fine to be featured in a kid's movie.

I understand you have your opinion, and that's mine. We're just going to have to agree to disagree here.

@treescancatchfire My comment was in response to the post itself, and to the way that the majority of people had voted. The other...

I didn't say they won't know gay people ever existed. They probably won't actually, but what I meant was they will not know anything about their relationships, and Disney doesn't give realistic examples of relationships. Kids know how straight relationships are and that many different kinds of people are in them. If they don't know homosexuality is even a thing, or even if they do they just don't see any gay people interacting with each other for longer than what it takes to pass them on the street, what the see in the movie is how they think homosexuality will work. If that's the only reasoning you picked up, you didn't read any comments. And no, prior comments are not irrelevant when they pertain to 90% of what you said.

@I didn't say they won't know gay people ever existed. They probably won't actually, but what I meant was they will...

They are irrelevant in the sense that my comment has nothing to do with them. I am not replying to any of the above, I am not condemning any comments that anyone has made. I honestly do not care about what has been commented above. I came here to comment on this amirite post, so I did. It was just my opinion on the matter.

And I read some, not all, of the comments. I wasn't reading them to look for the reasoning, I just read them to see in general how other people felt about the post. You can't expect me to want to immerse myself in this post, if I have to read the comments to fully understand its complexities and reasoning then obviously it is not clear enough.

But I accept that you didn't say they won't know gay people existed, I was just putting a single phrase to cover the lot in an attempt to get to my point.

@treescancatchfire They are irrelevant in the sense that my comment has nothing to do with them. I am not replying to any of the...

I just meant, everything you said was already said before and if you read my other replies you'd see why I didn't see things the way you do.

@I just meant, everything you said was already said before and if you read my other replies you'd see why I didn't...

Just to be clear, my first comment wasn't directed towards you. The 'you' and 'your's were meant to be read as just a general way of addressing everyone.
I wasn't challenging your opinion or demanding an explanation, nor did I expect a reply from you. That's why I didn't care to read every one of your other replies. I don't really care for seeing why you don't see things my way, I was just adding in my two cents worth.

Okay, fine. They'll believe it's just like in the movie.
Is that a bad thing, however? It's not like Disney will throw something in like "oh, lesbians have to cut off their legs before marriage." It'll still be a pretty generic love story, similar to that of a straight one. And sure, there'll be unrealistic things like magic and a happily ever after ending or whatever. That won't matter. I got my picture of heterosexual relationships from Disney movies. As I grew up, I learned that they're not always so peachy-keen. But I'm not permanently screwed up or confused.

@mashmallow515 Okay, fine. They'll believe it's just like in the movie. Is that a bad thing, however? It's not like Disney will...

What if they showed the lesbians with short hair and flannal? You learned the way a hetersexual relationship is from seeing it in real life, what will they be able to compare in the movie? Outside of gay bars, the only people I've just happened to come across that were gay was my friends sister, my friends uncle, and my uncle. Most of my straight friends are really curious about homosexual relationships because they're not very common. A kid will think the Disney version is how it really is and never learn different.

You hardly said any of that reasoning above. That's a bit more sensical, but it's still illogical. All relationship ideas are fucked up. We're already indoctrinated.

I still imagine my relationship with a male to be a bit "magical" like Disney. I have the wrong idea about a relationship and I've never seen a gay relationship in my childhood. I know it's not true, though, so I ignore it. But the same goes for most other gay men, regardless of the sex or gender of the princesses, we're indoctrinated with this shitty idea of a relationship.

So your reasoning is invalid.

If we teach children that homosexual relationships and heterosexual relationships are equal, then it doesn't matter if (somehow) all they've seen of a homosexual relationship is in a fairytale movie. As they see that heterosexual relationships are not all about happily-ever-after, they'll know that every relationship has its issues. I see no reason why children would think that homosexual relationships are exempt from the experiences, both positive and negative, of heterosexual relationships unless they've never been exposed to the former and consider it strange and foreign.

Hold your horses, OP.

It took Disney sixty-something years to finally make a black Princess. It's pretty unlikely that a gay Princess will appear in your lifetime.

This debate is moot. Disney will never do this, their style is way conservative, and they try to be as drama free as possible (weird hidden animation aside). The weirdness of most Disney princess movies is because it's taken from an already creepy story.

If kids were taught that homosexuality is natural and okay, no conversation would be needed.

What the HELL. I literally am about to be done with this site after seeing the votes.

@1643686

No, because of how close minded the majority of people on here are.
What makes a story of two women being together any different than a man and a woman? They're both in love. I don't understand why it's such a terrible thing to begin teaching that LOVE IS LOVE at a young age.

@foreveralone No, because of how close minded the majority of people on here are. What makes a story of two women being together...

CALM DOWN..... Not everyone was raised to believe that same-sex marriage is alright. I know for a fact that my parents weren't and they still turn their head when they see two boys are two girls going at it. like I said in another comment, it will take more than a few years to change something that's been outlawed for thousands. Go ahead and teach your children about same-sex marriage all you want, but I'll wait until they're older. We aren't closed-minded just because we don't particularly care for homosexuals.....

Ebony_Ways avatar Ebony_Way Yeah You Are 0Reply
@foreveralone What the HELL. I literally am about to be done with this site after seeing the votes.

Oh. My. God. SOMEONE DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME OPINION AS YOU DO?!!!?!!?!? YOU POOR THING. YOU KNOW WHAT? FUCK THIS SITE. RAUUUUGHHHHHHH.
Oh hush. I don't go and leave a site like a little baby when things don't go my way. Sure, I'm all for gay rights, but guess what? There's a beautiful thing called freedom of speech - and if someone doesn't believe in gay rights, then so be it. If someone doesn't want a lesbian princess, then guess what? So be it. Do I agree with them? No. But big deal. Freedom of speech isn't there only when it caters to your special needs.
I'm sorry if I sounded nasty, but lately it seems that everyone who doesn't have a textbook, typical liberal agenda on this site is immediately close-minded and should be shunned. It's irritating. Let's all just accept others opinions and be civil. Everyone has a different set of morals, and they're not the same as YOURS. Shocking, right? I fail to see the huge, evil problem with a parent not wanting to expose their children to certain issues at a young age.

Simple "Some boys like boys, some boys like girls and some boys like both. Then some girls like girls, some girls like boys and some girls like both."

Disney is a company, a company goal is to profit, not to educate (no matter how much they insist). So when they can make a huge profit from a movie such as this, it's possible. Until then, everyone should be just have an open mind to anything.

After reading some the comments I think what OP meant was that they simply feel uncomfortable with the idea of having to explain what a relationship is to a child, whether it be homosexual or heterosexual. Disney movies featuring hetero couples, however, are less stressful because they depict 'normal' couples that children are used to so they're less likely to start asking questions.
The problem with your argument is that it seems to stem from you being uncomfortable discussing relationships with kids, whereas most parents (who accept homosexuality) would actually appreciate it because their child would learn from a young age 'It's OK to be gay' and it would start the conversation rather than making it awkward. I noticed you've said that Disney still shouldn't make the movie, because parents can't control everything their child watches. This is also illogical; it's a parent's responsibility to control what a child is exposed to. If we really went with that logic everything would be censored for fear of a kid somehow seeing it. You have to do your best to keep things 'inappropriate' away from kids, and if they are exposed to it, you have to deal with it like a real adult.

Do parents really have this "talk"? I never got a talk, I figured it out fine on my own and never had a problem with homosexuals. I figure most people don't even have this conversation anymore, it's really not a big deal, especially to children.

http://amirite.net/400649 I find it funny that something saying the opposite has the same kind of score.

@1643423

Well, to be fair, most of us don't have the ability to randomly dream up new movies in our heads. Usually we let the directors do that for us and then we watch what they create. Most people would have trouble trying to imagine a good movie about an old man and a flying house, that doesn't mean the potential isn't there (Pixar's Up).

When I was five, I was really sad because my best friend and I were both girls, so we could never get married, and then she told me that sometimes girls CAN get married, and my five year old self who knew nothing about sex or sexuality was just happy to learn that two people who love say other can spend their lives together no matter their gender. I'm not lesbian. :p I'm just saying knowledge of gays will most likely enhance a child's perspective on life, not corrupt it.

Why are we talking as if parents are legally obligated to make their kids watch Disney movies?
If you don't want to explain a homosexual relationship to your child just yet, don't let them watch the movie.

This is why homosexuals have so much trouble accepting their sexuality. And if you're going to be such a cunt of a parent to not bother explaining homosexuality to your children as if it's the WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!, then you should rethink your choice about reproducing. You already suck ass parenting.

One favourite. Wow. hmm smilie

@MartellusBoss One love. Wow.

One love. Bob Marley.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Favvkes One love. Bob Marley.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Journey.
One love feeds the fire
One heart burns desire
I wonder, who's cryin' now.

@Montana One favourite. Wow.

Edit:
No favourites now. Wow. hmm smilie

@Montana One favourite. Wow.

I was the one favorite and I honestly don't remember ever seeing this post before.

Actually, I think it would be for the better. Children are very accepting and don't see differences in race/religion/appearance/etc. like we do. If kids are exposed to this earlier (when it's even easier to have "talks" because they're constantly learning) we're just one step closer to equality. I wish I had an opportunity like that. My mom refused to tell me what "gay" meant when I was younger. Now I am. And finding out (from my friend's mom) wasn't hard at all. It was just "it means he likes other guys." The foundation we give our young is critical.

But then again, I don't even want to IMAGINE what the One Million Moms Association would say about this. shudder

itd be nice if disney had a family sitcom that involved the main character having gay parents. As long as it was well written and not stereotypical i think it would be really nice but i know some would disagree...

Curses! I'm probably way too low for this post to mean anything.
But hey, why not. Here's my tumblr post on the issue: http://disneyobsessedtheatergee...ant-a-princess

@AdonisBatheus At least that's a fair argument, as opposed to OP, who's just a bad parent.

Yeah, I don't really care if OP wants to avoid an awkward conversation. That's his problem, not Disney's.

Disney shouldn't make a movie about lesbian princesses so they don't have to deal with the massive shit storm that discussion of gays brings up in society.

It'll be a GIANT clusterfuck of butthurt all over the goddamn place.

Just look at the comments above. For the sake of not pissing people off, it shouldn't happen.

Big_Bosss avatar Big_Boss Yeah You Are +4Reply

People you really have to calm down. I don't think Disney or anything is ready for a lesbian princess. I'm sorry to say, but it'll take more than a few years to change something that's been outlawed for thousands. Even if/when same-sex marriage is allowed, there are still going to be millions of people who don't accept it. It is the way people were raised; woman marries man. Throwing a lesbian Disney princess probably won't help anyone and is just asking for controversy. The idea should hold off until same-sex marriage is allowed in over 25 states. But that's just my opinion- you can have your own. It's a free country.

Not really. But still. Alright bye.

Ebony_Ways avatar Ebony_Way Yeah You Are +4Reply

Disney obviously would'nt make a movie with a lesbian princess because it wouldn't sell well enough. Lots of parents don't want their children revealed to that stuff for their own reasons, so they just won't take their child to see the movie or buy any of its merchandise.

An even better reason is actually being historically accurate. In the time period when civilizations were primarily monarchies, lesbians becoming queens would have never been historically accurate. This could be the only aspect where Disney actually goes along with history.

@YeahIAm An even better reason is actually being historically accurate. In the time period when civilizations were primarily...

Actually, lesbian queens would take one for the team and marry a man and have sex with him until they had an heir. I don't think that would be appropriate for a kids movie though.

I think to sum everything up... It doesnt matter how WE feel about the situation now. Most of the older generations of society are not okay with it, and its a big portion of the population. Hopefully later, when we have kids of our own.. we can teach them what we believe now and then most everyone can be comfortable with each other.. but quite frankly, we still have problems with judgement of religion. Bias against classes. And prejudice of race. The concept of "being open" about sexual orientation has just begun to scratch the surface and its going to take many years before people can learn to accept, let alone tolerate

The two princes/princesses would obviously get married at the end of the movie, right? Gay marriage is only legal in seven states. That would mean that if Disney made a movie about a same-sex couple right now, it would show an action that is illegal in FORTY-THREE states. I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't like to show illegal things in their movies. They would have to wait until at least forty-nine states and Puerto Rico made it legal to make a movie about it.
Disney is not a tool to further your political agenda. It's a business. Don't be stupid.

Baconnoisseurs avatar Baconnoisseur Yeah You Are +3Reply

If kids were to learn about homosexuality at earlier ages, there would be less ignorant homophobes like the OP, who, because of their anon yet named status, I will label as troll.

Wait, what disney movie has(will have) lesbian princesses?

Wait, is Disney actually doing this?

@1560008

Why were you scared?

Who needs Disney when Hentai exists?

I would not have liked a lesbian princess movie when I was younger. Since the day I found out about gays, my mother has been relentless on convincing me that I'm going to burn in hell if I accept it. I would hope a movie like this wouldn't be made just for the sake of other children with mothers like mine.

Just wondering, because of the way your arguments seem to be going, are you against gays being allowed to adopt?
(I've read most of the comments, though my attention is a little divided, and I'm sorry if you've answered this already.)

Aimzs avatar Aimz No Way 0Reply

I'm going to guess, since the author is called "Male", that he meant that parents don't want to talk about male children developing a "taste for lesbians" as most teenagers do.

Oh please stop with all this gay\lesbian bullshit. You'll be regretting this as days pass by
Mark my words...

I actually love that idea. I think it'd be really sweet, and it would be a giant step toward acceptance, especially if the lesbian-ness wasn't the whole plotline. Like throw in as many mermaids and spinning wheels and dwarves and evil stepmothers as you can; the only difference is that the 'true love' happens to be another girl. I think this would make a huge statement about equality.

I don't know... I feel like it has the potential to leave a whole lot of 5 year olds confused about something that they'll figure out when they're older. If my mother had told me about lesbiens at that age, I think I might've questioned what sex I was attracted to since I was too young to begin to determine those kind of things. Other than that, I think the movie's a great idea!

The 3 year old boy I babysit knows what gay means. He told me "That man is gay because he likes boys." Simple as that!

I remember the way I learned about homosexuality- kind of a funny story, really. I was pretty young and on the train and this guy came and sat next to me- looking back on it, he was high as a kite, but I didn't notice at the time. He was gay. I didn't know that really then, but he had that really distinct gay voice (I don't know how to phrase that), and I recognized the voice but not that it was a gay attribute. So I asked him if he did voice acting or something, and he laughed and told me no, he didn't. So I asked if he was ever on TV or the radio, and he laughed again and said, no, he wasn't. I told him he sounded like every fashion designer I'd ever seen on TV - still not associating anything I was saying with homosexuality - and asked if he was maybe related to one. He told me he wasn't and chuckled again. When I got home my parents started to explain to me that some boys like boys and all that- and I told them, oh, I knew that, because my best friend's dad was gay and had a boyfriend and that's why my friend's parents were divorced. My parents were surprised. That was the first time it occurred to me that homosexuality might not be considered normal, but I myself didn't rea...

@I remember the way I learned about homosexuality- kind of a funny story, really. I was pretty young and on the...

I didn't really care. Children don't need a conversation; they will understand. Sometimes I think they are the wisest of us all, because they see that we are all human beings, and that we are virtually the same; nothing more or less than alive, and beautiful in every facet of our being, because we have the capacity to recognize and appreciate the intricacy of a world we share and should treasure together.

I've always loved amirite, but this post makes me wanna cry. I've had enough of this bullshit. OP, I don't care if you're lesbian, gay, bi, transgender, crossdresser of whatever you say you are - if you believe what you wrote there, that makes you a homophobe. It's your right to be one, just know that you're hurting people by trying to depict homosexuality as something scandalous. Do I have to hide because you're too fucking lazy to have a five minute talk with your kid? I don't think so, sir.

Although I am a full supporter of gay marriage,I think that the topic is still a little too hot to be produced by Disney. Gay marriage and homosexuality is a very debated topic, if we can't even get gay marriage in most states, why would it be adapted by Disney? Besides how do you explain that kind of thing to a child who still believes she'll marry a handsome prince (or princess)? That kind of prejudice and confusion will get passed down and what people need more than anything is an open mind.

They shouldn't. It's controversial and unnecessary. Sure, awareness is nice and all, but the point of Disney movies aren't to teach about that sort of stuff. That's a parent's job.

If a Disney movie does teach something, it's a lesson that's relatable to kids of that time. "Be yourself", "dream big", etc.

Thats stupid Crazy girl. Not only is this going aginst over 3/4 of the worlds religoins, its just wrong. First, theys should make a princess with cancer. 2nd, they should make a princess that might die soon. As a last resort should their be lesbian princess it. Its Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve...

I think everyone should just calm down. This was just a person's opinion, just vote yes or no. Personally, I wouldn't like to have that conversation with my kid at that age. I don't really want to explain to them what heterosexual sex is at that age either. If you would, then great! It's just an opinion. To the people who think this would be a great idea: cool, say that. But I don't think that we need to go ballistic about this post, and into gay rights stuff. Just vote yes or no. Simple.

cookiedoughs avatar cookiedough Yeah You Are -3Reply
@cookiedough I think everyone should just calm down. This was just a person's opinion, just vote yes or no. Personally, I...

Why do you think it would have to be a talk about sex? I've seen several Disney Princess movies and they never taught me a thing about sex, nor did they make my parents have to teach me about sex.

@1558415

The whole "what's next" thing has been said all throughout history.
"Slaves are actually people? What's next?"
"Women are allowed to vote? What's next?"
"Racism is bad, and people shouldn't be judged by the color of their skin? What's next?"
You get my point. Being gay isn't hurting anyone, so why make such a big freaking deal about it?

@1558415

I would not have sex with a cat. Their penises have spikes on them.

@1558415

Of course! Because you know, the cat could consent.

Personally, I don't think it would matter.
as for the people saying that homosexuality is something your born with, that's Grade A bullshit.
it's a CHOICE. Nobody is born that way.
Why do you think most people don't turn gay until puberty? And don't bring up your friend who turned gay at 8. I said MOST.
as for guys/girls at say, 5, feeling each other up. Yeah sure, thats gay, lesbian, but their 5 year olds, they don't know better.
As to the post, I don't see why a lesbian princess is a big deal. As long as their not having lesbian sex on screen ( hello smilie , By the way) it's not a big deal. I know it'll be a hard discussion with your kids, but thats not lesbians/gay discussion. That's just sex in general. I know it'll be a little hard to explain to MY personal kids as to why their Uncle Joey (My brother) and their Uncle Jon (His Boyfriend) are different than others.
All I'll say is I'm glad they have the balls to hold hands in public and meet criticism to the face by not only bystanders, but to my mother and father...

@Your_Moms_Boyfriend Personally, I don't think it would matter. as for the people saying that homosexuality is something your born with...

You're straight, right? Why is it only straight people who say it's a choice? I find it convenient that the only ones who say it's a choice never made that choice. I know this is cliche, but maybe you should try to be gay. Since it's a choice I'm sure you could get a hard on for a guy just as easily as you can for a girl.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +19Reply
@Your_Moms_Boyfriend Actually, I have made that choice. I find it difficult and awkward to kiss a guy. Don't feel right

Because you're not gay, even though you tried to be. So obviously it's not a choice dipshit.

If it was awkward then you're not gay. Gayness isn't about who you kiss or who you have sex with, it's about who you enjoy kissing and who you enjoy having sex with. I could have all the sex with a ton of guys if I so desired, but wouldn't be able to call myself straight unless I was attracted to those guys.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +14Reply

I think that "most people turn gay at puberty" because most adolescents start having sexual feelings/romantic feelings at puberty, and not before that. Yeah, kids have crushes in 2nd grade, but some gays and lesbians knew they were "different" when they were little.

@SpearmintMilk I'm a girl and I had a crush on another girl in preschool...

Yup, I remember having my first crush on a male TV character when I was 4

@Yup, I remember having my first crush on a male TV character when I was 4

How do you know you didn't just want to be their friend?!1?!111?!?!

@SpearmintMilk How do you know you didn't just want to be their friend?!1?!111?!?!

BCUZZZZ I didn't want to ride tricycles with him I wanted to touch him

That doesn't mean you were lesbian.
It means you were a child.
Not old enough to know what you want. Hence the, choices are usually made in puberty.
Besides, I never had intention of causing a flame war and stuff. That's just my opinion. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed that.

@Your_Moms_Boyfriend That doesn't mean you were lesbian. It means you were a child. Not old enough to know what you want. Hence the...

I'm bi. No straight people I know had a crush on someone of the same sex at that age. The "choices" are made during puberty because that's when you start developing more hormones that and get the urge to have sex because that's when your body is ready. Kids don't have that level of hormones so they just have crushes not sexual urges but they can't control their attractions any more than adults can.

You are allowed an opinion, but you can't expect not to be called out on it by people who are attracted to the same sex who have experienced that it is not a choice.

@SpearmintMilk I'm bi. No straight people I know had a crush on someone of the same sex at that age. The "choices" are made during...

Its not something you're born with.
Thats my opinion.
It's a choice.
I didn't say I had a crush on the guy.
You don't even know the story.
It was spin the bottle, and I figured since everybody I knew was bi (even though I was straight, and still am), I'd go ahead and try it.
Awkward. Didn't like it. Never will again.
End of story.
By the way, that guy WAS gay and had a crush on me.

@Your_Moms_Boyfriend Its not something you're born with. Thats my opinion. It's a choice. I didn't say I had a crush on the guy. You...

My EXPERIENCE is that it isn't a choice at all.

I din't say anything about the story, I think you replied to the wrong person.

@SpearmintMilk My EXPERIENCE is that it isn't a choice at all. I din't say anything about the story, I think you replied to the...

xD maybe I did...
Meant to reply to the one above you.
Meh. If they care they'll read the comments and get the drift.
Different opinions, different experience.
Thats all just based on my experience and my friends.
I think it's a choice, but I don't really give a damn about what random people on the internet think about that.

How does it being a game of spin-the-bottle change anything? Yes, you chose to participate and kiss a guy, but kissing a guy does not make someone gay. You could kiss all the guys in the world and be straight if kissing them is always awkward.

To reiterate what everyone else said, you're wrong. And it's my opinion, by the way, that you're an idiot.

It actually isn't a choice. Why would people choose to be gay even if it meant they would get killed in the Holocaust? Listen to Lady Gaga. People are born that way.

@fEMMAnist It actually isn't a choice. Why would people choose to be gay even if it meant they would get killed in the...

...
Not even worth it.
I said: that was my opinion and I don't care what you think.
Finish reading it before you try to debate me.

@Your_Moms_Boyfriend Not even worth it. I said: that was my opinion and I don't care what you think. Finish reading it before you...

You might have the right to any opinion you want, but having the opinion that sexuality is a choice is like having the opinion that the moon is made of cheese.

Have you not noticed that the only love displayed at a young age is little girls chasing guys, or fake marriages, all because they were taught they should at an early age? At that age, it does not matter, so the fact that you do not like anybody of the opposite gender does not matter, because they are still young. It STARTS to MATTER at puberty. And to the liberal comment, that because this site filled with younger people, who (statistically speaking-TIME magazine told me, so I can't put a link at the moment) are predominantly liberal, a change from the mostly conservatives from pervious generations

Kids shouldn't be brainwashed into thinking homosexuality is ok. That's up to themselves. Otherwise, they'll think that they're actually SUPPOSED to be gay or somthing

Lettuces avatar Lettuce Yeah You Are -45Reply
@Lettuce Kids shouldn't be brainwashed into thinking homosexuality is ok. That's up to themselves. Otherwise, they'll think...

Since the number of straight princess movies would be much higher than the number of lesbian princess movies, that really isn't anything to worry about. If anything it will show the girls who are wondering they don't like boys like they're "supposed" to like all the other princesses that it is okay to like girls. Because it really is okay to be gay.

pikabeaus avatar pikabeau No Way +20Reply
@pikabeau Since the number of straight princess movies would be much higher than the number of lesbian princess movies, that...

But...but... Jerry Fatwell and Pat Robertson said that gays caused 9/11! Are you saying that 9/11 was good?

eldoritos avatar eldorito No Way +14Reply
@pikabeau If the gays did it, it must be good.

Well, a faggot did invent peanut butter (kind of), so I can see where you're cumming hello smilie from.

eldoritos avatar eldorito No Way +10Reply

You know your either born straight or homosexual right? When you have kids watch what they do around 2-8years of age!