+209

You don't understand why people hang Confederate flags. The Confederacy fought against American troops and was in favor of slavery. They're basically hanging symbols of racism and treason, amirite?

AtheisticMystics avatar
3 22
The voters have decided that AtheisticMystic is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

You just answered your own question, they're in favor of the way the confederacy ran things. Or they are showing their southern roots. Or it could just be because they like it, they're doesn't have to be a reason.

@Frank_n_Furter You just answered your own question, they're in favor of the way the confederacy ran things. Or they are showing...

Not only that. The south stood for freedom from oppression. During the civil war, southerners believed they had just as much right to break away from the tyranny of the north as the colonies did against the Crown. The Confederacy was a symbol of restoring constitutional rights, like the right to property, the right to manage your state's economy. The south was attacked for eking out a life the only way they knew how to, and attacked for defending their rights to do it. Yes, they were wrong ultimately, they were trying to break apart democracy rather than work with it, but the idea of a second revolution against the government has never died. The south rich economy collapsed when slavery died. Wealthy families lost their glory and their honor when they lost their slaves. And there are still people there that resent that. Not because they think slavery is morally right, but because the government was (and still might be) morally wrong.

My... ex-step-grandpa and his wife and kids have Confederate flags everywhere. One of their sons even has a tattoo of it. The South did really well when they had slaves. I think it's less about racism and more about "the South will rise again."

The south will rise again!!!!

I'm kidding of course.

@Ryan6793 The south will rise again!!!! I'm kidding of course.

In my school, there was this old black history teacher that no one liked (because she was mean, not because she was black wary smilie) and one of my friends in her class said people in the class would sit there and say "The South will riiiiiise again!" whenever her back was turned.

I really get confused when I see a bunch of them in Michigan. I think some people get geographically confused.

@_pi_ I really get confused when I see a bunch of them in Michigan. I think some people get geographically confused.

Yeah! I agree! I can understand if they lived in the south, but no. Redneck dicks at my school hang huge ones on their car and then get pissed off because the school yells at them. It's obnoxious.

pokerface111s avatar pokerface111 Yeah You Are +2Reply

''...Confederacy fought against American troops...'' Haha, Civil War.

Some people view it as a symbol of southern heritage, not slavery and the confederacy. I had a whole socratic seminar about it in US history a couple of years back.

IndigoMoons avatar IndigoMoon Yeah You Are +3Reply

It's not treason..... But it's still not cool to have one

@Davidplante It's not treason..... But it's still not cool to have one

Taking up arms against your own government is treason.

@AtheisticMystic Taking up arms against your own government is treason.

The north doesn't hold all the power and they had different ideas on thing so they fought it out there was no betrayal no backstabbing just a simple need for FARMERS to have workers they don't need to pay since they don't get paid very much

Hanging a flag, however, is not. Lincoln said he would not let them peacefully secede and would use force. The South at first only wanted to defend itself. Seceding from the union and defending yourself isn't treason.

I understand if they do it for reasons other than that, but they shouldn't be surprised if other people perceive it this way...

I proudly where my confederate flag as a symbol of hard working men who bring home food for their families. It is a symbol that stands for blue collar men and women every where. It is also a symbol of states rights and the right to throw off an oppressive government which promotes entitlement and demonizes the oil industry.

It was for state's rights :/ slavery just got thrown into the mix.

How suprising, completely different and seperate ethnically nation has arisen...sarcasm off