+327

It's weird how some people think it's better to call black people African American. Not everyone in Africa is black, and not all black people are from Africa, and not all black people are American. amirite?

Frank_n_Furters avatar
5 22
The voters have decided that Frank_n_Furter is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Wow are we still going over this? This has got to be the 20th post I've seen about how blacks aren't African.

Everyone in the world originally came form africa but homo sapiens migrated out some 125,000 to 60,000 years ago.

My mom hates the term "African-American", and I'm honestly not a fan of it either. Why can't we just be black, I've never met anyone offended by that?

LittleReds avatar LittleRed Yeah You Are +1Reply
jNycoleus avatar jNycoleu Yeah You Are +1Reply

I agreed with this, but I don't think your last point is relevant. Do people honestly call blacks in other countries Americans? It's just dumb if they do, but I doubt they would anyways.

melindalous avatar melindalou Yeah You Are 0Reply
@melindalou I agreed with this, but I don't think your last point is relevant. Do people honestly call blacks in other...

Also, I'm pretty sure people of African decent aren't Caucasian... They could be nowadays, but their ancestors from Africa surely weren't.

melindalous avatar melindalou Yeah You Are -2Reply
@ittybitty5537 They didn't say of African decent, they said in Africa.

Technically this is right if you're looking at African as meaning the person lives in Africa. I would think it's more of a "this person's family is from Africa and has been from Africa for a few generations", like an adjective as you would use Hispanic.

@melindalou Technically this is right if you're looking at African as meaning the person lives in Africa. I would think it's...

That's how I would consider it. A black person in America as American. A Chinese person born in America is American.

@1562248

I would agree with all of these statements. Obviously not all people in Africa are black (I believe I mentioned that when I said "they [people from Africa] could be [Caucasian] nowadays.) I'm only saying that there are two ways to think of "African". Technically, yeah, if you live in Africa or are from Africa then you're African. I'm just pointing out that those people were immigrants at one point.

@melindalou Also, I'm pretty sure people of African decent aren't Caucasian... They could be nowadays, but their ancestors from...

Actually, everyone is of African decent. That where all humans come from. So yeah Caucasian are of African decent.

It's true. We watched a British movie in class, and every student referred to the black person as African American. We don't even think about it. We just assume that most black people are African American, because the majority we Americans see are.

lolgirls avatar lolgirl Yeah You Are 0Reply

They're also not all "black" but hey whatever term makea you feel less like a racist

@Chewbanshee They're also not all "black" but hey whatever term makea you feel less like a racist

The terms black and white sound better. I'd rather people called me white than pinkish tan with orange polka dots even though the second one is more accurate.

@Frank_n_Furter What? All black people are not black?

They're not sharpie marker black...its like dark brown..sometimes light brown.

@Chewbanshee They're not sharpie marker black...its like dark brown..sometimes light brown.

They're never sharpie black. Are we supposed to call them by their individual shades?