+170

You shouldn't care about offending someone. Say "merry Christmas," not "happy holidays.", amirite?

REBEKKAHs avatar
4 38
The voters have decided that REBEKKAH is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'm not a christian so I'll continue to say happy holidays though I get yout point, people freak out too much. I did notice when I used to work retail christians would snap at me for saying happy holidays and rant about how I should say merry christmas...which got me to thinking maybe we didn't start saying happy holidays to not offend other people but more to piss off the Christians who freak about stuff like that, like it matters what people call it. (Btw other religions have celebrations In december it's not just Christianity)

@1565228

You're exactly right. It's more about being PC even though most other religions don't really give a shit if someone is trying to be nice and wish them well on a certain day. If someone says merry christmas say thanks you too. How can people get mad at an attempt to be polite just because the intended sentiment doesn't exactly fit them?

@Brettward95 You're exactly right. It's more about being PC even though most other religions don't really give a shit if someone...

No one's gonna get mad at someone else because they said merry christmas, but it's not like happy holidays is a bad phrase. Just say whatever you want.

Happy Holidays probably was brought about because there are several holidays around this time of year, even including New Years and such. Say Merry Christmas, say Happy Holidays, say nothing for all I care. Really, no one cares.

Complaining about people saying "Happy holidays" is just as stupid as complaining about people saying "Merry Christmas".

Can't everyone just accept good wishes and get the fuck over it?

I think that the main point of any greeting (Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, etc.) is to spread good cheer and make people happy. If the person you say it to takes it offensively, then that's their problem. They shouldn't be upset about spreading holiday cheer. It's like yelling at someone who says Happy Valentine's Day. Even if you don't celebrate it, others do and it's important to them, so don't be an annoying hater.

lolgirls avatar lolgirl Yeah You Are +10Reply
@1847095

honestly, how many times has a foreigner just wished you a happy whatever their holiday is? they wouldnt. theres a reason for that and thats why i dont get why people wish strangers a merry christmas.

@1879739

no i get it, its like if you wouldnt be offended, why should they be? isnt that what you're saying? what IM saying is whats the point of wishing someone a happy whatever if they dont celebrate it. when you say "merry christmas", youre basically saying "have a happy christmas" (duh). but what if they dont celebrate christmas? why cant you just say the usual "hi" and "bye" if you dont know? its offensive to me that so many people arent considerate of the diversity that makes up america. and im honestly very surprised that a post that starts with "you shouldnt care about offending someone" could get so many thumbs up.

@1886126

guess what? im somali, a black african, and im a muslim. so no im not saying you should assume based on appearance. clearly, you are missing MY point and basically calling me racist. i never said guess what they are. but if you dont know, why say anything? theyre are other ways of knowing, like if theyre a personal friend, and if you know, sure wish them merry christmas all day long! but if you dont know, i dont get why you HAVE to wish them anything..? "even people who do celebrate different holidays still observe or somewhat participate in christmas" that makes me laugh. i only know one muslim that celebrates christmas, and thats only because her father is a convert so they celebrate with his family. how can you make such a general statement? and lastly "you're assuming people would be offended by being wished well" im not assuming. iiiii get offended. some of my family gets offended. some of my friends get offended. i never said everyone does, but believe it or not, some people do. i just dont understand why its, to some people, SO important to say merry christmas. everytime someone says it to me, i cringe inside, but i still smile and say thank you because i know they mean well

@1887418

look, i can thumb down your comments too! haha whats the point? obviously we're on opposing sides, why are you thumbing down? hahah
anyway, if someone says "for a fat person, you're pretty" they are trying to give you a compliment, but you would be offended. they want to be nice but you take it a different way. its really the same thing, dont try to say it isnt. this is just a more obvious example that isnt as socially accepted as saying "merry christmas". and its not like i rage on the person that says merry christmas, but its still irritating.

@canttouchthis193 look, i can thumb down your comments too! haha whats the point? obviously we're on opposing sides, why are you...

They're not thumbing down your comments, I am. Jackass. Just because you get thumbed down (for being an illogical retard) doesn't mean the person you're talking with is doing it. It's perfectly possible other people read this and thought you were a retard, too.

Why don't we just say what makes us most comfortable? Whether that be "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."

CanadiaNDPs avatar CanadiaNDP Yeah You Are 0Reply

I have a habit of saying Merry Christmas, but I don't care what holiday greeting you give me.

On Christmas Day, I say merry Christmas. Before Christmas I just say happy holidays.

thats right, you MUST greet each other with either "merry christmas" or "happy holidays" and you can absolutely NOT just say the usual "hi" and "bye". LONG LIVE AMURRICA!!1!11

Christians are stupid. You don't own December. You don't own this country. Get over yourselves and stfu. How dare you think you've got the right to force people to celebrate the way you do and live the way you do? Like they said above take the good wishes abs get on with your life. Stop looking for reasons to be a judgmental ass and let others be nice.

Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ, the leader of the Christian faith... If you aren't a Christian but would like to celebrate with us, don't change the name to suit yourself. It's like being invited to someones party and calling it yours, it's rude and disrespectful to the host

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -13Reply
@thatsjustmii Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ, the leader of the Christian faith... If you aren't a Christian...

just like to say we all know it's not the actually day of his birthday but it's when we celebrate it

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -2Reply
@thatsjustmii just like to say we all know it's not the actually day of his birthday but it's when we celebrate it

Saying happy holidays is only because Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated at this time like, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, new years, and I bet theres others.Naturally someone wanted their faith to be represented as well. And why not we aren't all celebrating the coming ofChrist, many people are celebrating the coming of Christ opher. The big fat man with gifts. So basically it's just a respect thing, and if we all showed some more often the world would be a better place.

SkylarOctaviouss avatar SkylarOctavious Yeah You Are +9Reply
@SkylarOctavious Saying happy holidays is only because Christmas isn't the only holiday celebrated at this time like, Hannukah...

True, there are many other things celebrated in December, but please. When do people really care to acknowledge other ethnic and religious groups holidays? (not saying that's a good thing)The reason you have given may be used as a justification to saying Happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas but the real reason is undeniable. When you see the word Happy Holidays it is often surrounded by the holly, a Christmas tree, snow men, wreaths, etc. It is not as common to see Hannukah candles ( though you sometimes do) or any other symbol of another event celebrated during the Christmas season. Also... you cannot deny that the weeks we get off during the Christmas season are now called the "Winter Break".

thatsjustmiis avatar thatsjustmii Yeah You Are -6Reply
@thatsjustmii True, there are many other things celebrated in December, but please. When do people really care to acknowledge...

You know who cares about other religions' holidays. The people that celebrate them. I will be saying happy Hannukah to everyone throughout Hannukah. I will say Merry Christmas on Christmas. Jews are not trying to celebrate Christmas with you. We are celebrating our own fucking holiday.

If no one cared to acknowledge them, there would be no "Holliday" season debate in the first place. Metaphorically, by recognizing Happy Hollidays as a seasonal phrase, would be like giving them an inch verses a whole foot. But like I said before I think it's just a respect thing. That's all I'm saying. I agree with the post to a certain extent. I'm going to keep saying what I want, but I'm not going go out of my and be like "It's only for Christians, get your own month!!!" that's what you sound like to me.