+332

The TLC show "All-American Muslim" follows around Muslim families in Michigan displaying their normalcy and tackling the issues of assimilation, interfaith marriage, and society's view of their heritage and religion. The fact that a conservative group is protesting the show because they believe it is "propaganda clearly designed to counter legitimate and present-day concerns about many Muslims who are advancing Islamic fundamentalism" is infuriating, amirite?

Religion
7 110

A group in Florida is protesting the show because it "doesn't show the radical side of Muslims" which would give Americans "the wrong idea that all Muslims are normal." Like, honestly? Is our society that fucked up?

Dinosaurss avatar Dinosaurs Yeah You Are +45Reply

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ I really don't like conservatives

@ASWCC (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ I really don't like conservatives

the ones like the group that's mentioned just give us a bad name... most of us are a lot more reasonable than that...
And I can't say the GOP candidates are helping us all that much...

Being a conservative is not the same thing as being a bigot. Please don't associate nice innocent conservatives with racist jackasses.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are 0Reply

I find it sad that anyone would go to such an extent just to discriminate innocent people.

Cpt_McMuffins avatar Cpt_McMuffin Yeah You Are +9Reply

The premise looked stupid anyway, but definitely not for that reason...

@I_Predict_A_Riot The premise looked stupid anyway, but definitely not for that reason...

I agree. From what I can tell, the plot is a normal American Muslim family has a normal American life. There is nothing interesting about it. What ever happened to the good old days when shows were full of entertaining sex and violence?

@fEMMAnist I agree. From what I can tell, the plot is a normal American Muslim family has a normal American life. There is...

seriously. And you just know TLC will make their lives seem wrought with discrimination and make US look like the bad guys, when in reality the extent of discrimination would be some kid asking them what the head scarf is for, or some security guard at the airport looking at them as they pass by.

@I_Predict_A_Riot seriously. And you just know TLC will make their lives seem wrought with discrimination and make US look like the...

I know. Even if people really did discriminate against them, no one would do it in front of a bunch of TV cameras, knowing they'd look like an ass in front of millions of viewers. It's all got to be faked.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +1Reply
@fEMMAnist I know. Even if people really did discriminate against them, no one would do it in front of a bunch of TV cameras...

I know! And then everyone will think it's a very accurate portrayal and that discrimination is a huger problem than it really is, then there will be even more people who go out of their way to be extra sensitive to muslims, or our standards of political correctness will go up to the point where if you so much as look at a woman wearing a hijab someone slaps you.

@I_Predict_A_Riot I know! And then everyone will think it's a very accurate portrayal and that discrimination is a huger problem than...

This is true. I saw a preview for the show where a waitress refused to take their order because they were Muslim. That's just way over the top staged. Even racist people want to get a good tip.

and that is a perfect example of a typical Internet debate.

Wtf why is there even a show? I'm a Muslim and I find this whole thing ridiculous.

@1581991

Wait for it, I'm predicting a new show about a Muslim family living in America, but drama occurs when they have to deal with the day to day struggles of people who are ignorant, while juggling the responsibilities of 26 kids. All while dealing with the decision of how to remodel their home on a budget. But luckily they saved enough money for the project because this mom is also an extreme coupon-er and she feeds everyone in the house, and their 4 pets, for under 20 dollars a week. Coming Next Fall.

@1582264

And they're little people.

@Mtrenchie And they make cake

And the mother has a side job where she helps women pick out wedding dresses.

Do the even watch the show before they protest it?

KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1581747

Not where I'm from? :o

Dinosaurss avatar Dinosaurs Yeah You Are 0Reply
KirstenAnns avatar KirstenAnn Yeah You Are +5Reply

One of the more intellectual posts I've seen here on amirite

My family has watched that show every Sunday it has been on TLC, and they believe that this show portrays Muslims in the wrong light, but that could be because they say the Muslims on the show are "Lebanese Muslims", who are "not as Muslim" as Palestinean Muslims. Also my brother-in-law apparently went to high school with some of the ladies on that show and said they acted inappropriately at that time. I say the show portrays American Muslims in the proper light, but that being said, I think America diffuses a lot of traditions in orthodox religion, and Islam is no exception to that remark. That show is sort of like how if you asked someone what they believe in spiritually, and they'll say, "Oh, I'm Christian, definitely!" But they don't go to church or participate in any orthodox Christian activities or pray regularly... That is what "All-American Muslims" is like to me. An agnostic approach to Islam.

@Shadi My family has watched that show every Sunday it has been on TLC, and they believe that this show portrays Muslims...

How do you measure how "Muslim" someone is? What units do you use? Islameters? How much more Muslim are Lebanese people compared to Palestinian people?

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +7Reply
@fEMMAnist How do you measure how "Muslim" someone is? What units do you use? Islameters? How much more Muslim are Lebanese...

You can take that up with my parents. I think my parents don't want to give Lebanese Muslims as much credit because of all the countries that are part of the Middle East, Lebanon is the only country that has a majority of Christian followers, so that makes Lebanon (and Israel, the only majorly Jewish country) the "odd man out", so to speak. From what I've observed of my life, the Lebanese don't get much credit. I remember once this guy came from Lebanon to speak to our world geography class because he was graduating from a local university and we were studying that region of the world, but that's irrelevant as there was nothing substantial aboot his visit that could argue anything aboot anything, because a single person can't accurately portray an entire people.

That is the problem with people who might disagree with this show. You can't look at a show aboot part of a culture thinking it can represent some perfect depiction of the entire society encompassed in that culture, but that is how some people will interpret this show. I'd say it would be more realistic if they focused on families with teenagers instead of just families with young children.

@Shadi You can take that up with my parents. I think my parents don't want to give Lebanese Muslims as much credit...

That's true. You can't expect one family to represent or even try to represent all the Muslims in the world. Muslims come in every race and culture and live in every country. I don't think the show (which I've never seen) is really trying to tell the story of all Muslims. I think they are just trying to tell their own story.

@1579850

What *

OFWGKTAs avatar OFWGKTA Yeah You Are 0Reply

tl;dr :)

Muslims may not be terrorists and terrorists may not be Muslims but Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world. Show one picture of Muhammad and Muslims start an uproar to censor the TV show. Do something similar that offends Christians and sure some Christians might shout "blasphemy!" but nothing is done to censor it. I just hate how Atheists love to bash Christians because they feel that Christians are forcing shit down their throats but what about Muslims? What about other religions? Atheists are slacking these days.

@Muslims may not be terrorists and terrorists may not be Muslims but Islam is the fastest growing religion in the...

Because there isn't an image of prophet Muhammad and people are just assuming his appearance

@Because there isn't an image of prophet Muhammad and people are just assuming his appearance

Then cartoonists have every right to draw whatever the hell they want.

@Then cartoonists have every right to draw whatever the hell they want.

Not if it's crossing religious boundaries. There is no known image of PM and when people fabricate it it's offensive. There's a reason why there isn't an image of it. So his image can't be distorted. That's why there's no "image" of God or "Allah"

@Not if it's crossing religious boundaries. There is no known image of PM and when people fabricate it it's...

Cartoonists have the right to draw whatever the hell they want to regardless how many people are offended by it. It's called free speech.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +3Reply

As an atheist, the only times I'm ever bombarded with religion is by Christians. The people who stand outside my old High School and tell all the kids they're going to hell, are Christians. I have never once in my life talked to a Muslim person that tried to even mention their beliefs in any conversation I've had with them, unlike Christians. And I am by no means saying all Christians behave that way, I know a lot that don't do that, but in my personal experiences Christians are the most religiously "pushy", for lack of a better word.

@ScottyD As an atheist, the only times I'm ever bombarded with religion is by Christians. The people who stand outside my...

I don't think that has much to do with Christianity itself. If most of your high school was <name any religion>, you'd get bombarded with annoying <name any religion> people telling you to adopt <name any religion>. Being a meddlesome dick who pushes their beliefs on people is kind of a universal thing.

I don't think the show is doing anything wrong, but you have to see the logic in their point of view. While not all Muslims are terrorists, most terrorists are Muslim. The majority of Muslims are genuinely nice and good moral people, but the are also a dangerous people. If you read their laws and beliefs, you'll find out that their goal in the world is to convert literally everybody to Islam. While some people go about this by killing non-believers (extremists), some try to do it preaching and setting an example. I'm not saying the show is bad but we need to be careful about how we portray them on both sides of the spectrum

@WinniethePooh I don't think the show is doing anything wrong, but you have to see the logic in their point of view. While not all...

Most terrorists are not Muslim.

A terrorist uses fear to control— That opens up a wide door for more than just Muslims.

Shugahs avatar Shugah Yeah You Are +22Reply

The majority of terrorists are not Muslim. http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/0...s-are-muslims/

Also, almost every religion stresses converting people as a goal. There are dangerous people of all religions, races, and genders. I haven't seen the show, but if it portrays the average Muslim, it's a good idea because clearly people like you have false impressions.

steelerman113s avatar steelerman113 Yeah You Are +16Reply

The show is about average, every day Muslims living in America, leading a normal life, just like you and I. So please tell me how that's "portraying them on both sides of the spectrum"?

Dinosaurss avatar Dinosaurs Yeah You Are +13Reply

Can I just say that converting people is not our fucking goal? We're not even allowed to try to get anyone to convert because it rarely works. I don't care what your faith is and neither does anyone else...If you want to convert to any religion, you have to do it your own fucking self. No one can or wants to force/trick/brainwash you into anything.

Do you really think we're all huddled up in our mosques devising increasingly desperate plans for getting dannydunnaway to join our ranks? How self absorbed and ignorant can you get?

@Can I just say that converting people is not our fucking goal? We're not even allowed to try to get anyone to...

So if Muslims dot care about converting others, why do the taliban kill non-believers? Why does al qaeda hate western society? As I have stated multiple times, Islam is (usually) a good, peaceful religion. We aren't trying to dis on Islam, but you can understand that we should be cautious in how it is viewed. We don't want Muslims like what I imagine you to be portrayed as terrorists, but we don't want terrorists portrayed as good, American citizens. This is why this issue is tricky and this is why people have concerns over the tv show. I haven't seen it so I won't say whether or not I agree or disagree, but caution should be exercised. Also, one question: Why are all the negative comments about Islam in the negative, when all the comments downplaying Christianity and Judaism are not? This proves two things: 1) either everybody is already halfway converted, and completely negates what you say, and 2) political correctness is forcing everyone to label people hatemongers and racists because we make points that are judgmental but based on fact and logic. Either way, this post on amiright demonstrates precisely what is happening to America.

@WinniethePooh So if Muslims dot care about converting others, why do the taliban kill non-believers? Why does al qaeda hate...

Who is this "we" you keep referring to? Tons of religions have a long and bloody history of terrorism. We shouldn't single out American Muslims as more likely to be terrorists than American Jews/Rastafarians/Buddhists/Hindus/Zoroastrians/Atheists/Wicca?

@fEMMAnist Who is this "we" you keep referring to? Tons of religions have a long and bloody history of terrorism. We shouldn't...

I could make out most of your comment because the app is glitching, but the "we" I am referring to is Americans in general. I could make out "American Muslims". Like I keep saying, I have nothing against the Muslim religion, just terrorists. It just so happens that more often than not, terrorists are Muslims. People need to quit worrying about judgements political correctness and start worrying about our national security

@WinniethePooh I could make out most of your comment because the app is glitching, but the "we" I am referring to is Americans in...

What makes you think terrorists are more often Muslim? That's not even true. Terrorism exists outside of the Taliban and the regions in the middle east. There are terrorists in every single country and of every single major religion.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1581754

Um, Christians are the ones who get pretty much only negative media.

@reeree Um, Christians are the ones who get pretty much only negative media.

That might be because anytime a Christian group is doing something worthwhile like charity their religion isn't a super important point of it. It's just people helping people. But when they end up on the news protesting stuff and making other peoples days miserable it's sort of a main factor that their christian. I know not all Christians are the bad Christians but the only time religious affiliation is relevant is when it's affecting other people negatively.

Nope. Most terrorists are Jewish. Christianity doesn't have the nicest rules, either. The news is portraying them on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I don't think you know Islam all that well

[There shall be no compulsion in religion. Distinct has now become the right way from [the way of] error: hence, he who rejects the powers of evil and believes in God has indeed taken hold of a support most unfailing, which shall never give way: for God is all-hearing, all-knowing] ( Al-Baqarah 2:256)

http://www.onislam.net/english/...-to-death.html

fuzalas avatar fuzala Yeah You Are 0Reply
@fuzala I don't think you know Islam all that well [There shall be no compulsion in religion. Distinct has now become the...

Also
women are not trash in Islam

Status of women:

http://www.onislam.net/english/...-of-women.html

"These stories are reflective of the Prophet’s [Muhammad~pbuh] mercy and kindness towards women. But he went even farther. He tried to liberate women from all kinds of injustice, maltreatment and oppression. He can genuinely be viewed as a liberator of women. He gave women such rights and privileges that even Western women did not enjoy until centuries later, like the right to own and use property independently of her husband and family. She also had a voice in the public sphere and politics, as the example of Prophet’s giving audience to women shows."

Why is your post negative? It's true. And if people think that what you're saying about the Qu'ran is false, then they need to do some research. There are certainly nice Islam people. Heck, one of my best friends is Muslim. But women are trash in that religion, and it is NOT a religion of peace- it's one of violence (example 1: honor killings)
Like I said- there are plently of nice Islams. Not all of them are terrorists, but, unfortunately, the majority of terrorists ARE in fact Muslim. People need to get over being politcally correct and face the truth...

@reeree Why is your post negative? It's true. And if people think that what you're saying about the Qu'ran is false, then...

"Like I said- there are plenty of nice Islams."
Islams??? I only know of one Islam.. I didn't really realize that there's more than one Islam.

@1581801

1: if most terrorists (at least respective to America) weren't Muslim, why would we be fighting THE WAR ON TERROR IN MUSLIM TERRITORIES?!?!?! Also where would we get the term Islamic extremist? Was Osama Jewish/Christian or did he kill them? As credible as loonwatch.com may be, the facts don't back it up. While sure, not ALL terrorists are Muslims, current events prove most of the dangerous ones are.
2: While sure no religion is unfaliable, you have to look at this one in particular. Their holy text says literally they are required by DIVINE LAW to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! While it won't be that dramatic this is why we have to be careful about the way we portray them. I'm not saying Muslims are bad people, all I'm saying is that the concerns these people have over the show are legitimate.

@1582121

My bad they're Hindu. but the rest are muslim and you just wanted proof that "Current events prove most of the dangerous ones are."

@1582127

Is 9/11 credible enough evidence?

@WinniethePooh Is 9/11 credible enough evidence?

No that's just one event. One event does not prove a trend.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +5Reply
@fEMMAnist No that's just one event. One event does not prove a trend.

How about that, numerous other plane hijackings and bombings, subway bombs, dead soldiers, the Taliban cutting off a women's nose for going out in the street without her husband? How about the drone we just lost? Or how about the rockets sent daily into Israel? Trend enough? All Islam

@WinniethePooh How about that, numerous other plane hijackings and bombings, subway bombs, dead soldiers, the Taliban cutting off...

That's not all Islam. A bunch of different groups do that kind of stuff all the time. Violence, bombing, hijacking, and dead soldiers are not unique to one religion.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +6Reply
@fEMMAnist That's not all Islam. A bunch of different groups do that kind of stuff all the time. Violence, bombing, hijacking...

While that's true, why do we fear al Qaeda and the Taliban? How come we aren't nervous when we see a Christian in an airport? It's because the united states and western culture as a whole are predominantly Christian or at the very least, not Muslim. Obviously Christians wouldn't bomb themselves and so far these happenings (at least the successful ones) have been carried out by Muslim activists. Ever heard of jihad, the holy war? Ya know that thing extremists do where they kill people in the name of allah, simply for not believing? How
about the war on terror (that takes Place in Muslim territories)? Was Osama a Jew? What about saddam? While sure there are terrorists other than Muslims, they have almost no impact on us whereas the Muslims have 9/11 contributed to them as well as all of the soldiers dead in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. I don't even see how this point is still being argued. Islamic radicals are called that for a reason!!! THEY ARE TERRORISTS!!! Once more, while there are others, and it is not unique to them, successful terror attacks are!!! How about instead of worrying about political correctness and being open minded, you worry about protecting those in your own country

@WinniethePooh While that's true, why do we fear al Qaeda and the Taliban? How come we aren't nervous when we see a Christian in...

Last I checked, Hitler was a Christian. He killed far more people than the Muslims ever did. And then you have the Spanish Inquisition, where Christians forced Jews and Muslims to convert or die.

@pikabeau Last I checked, Hitler was a Christian. He killed far more people than the Muslims ever did. And then you have the...

Good examples, but those are in the past. Let's talk about today's events when the taliban kill people who don't accept the sharia and Al Qaeda flies planes into our towers. Also I'm not saying that only
Muslims are capable of doing bad things, just that they (extremists) do do bad things. I really don't understand your arguments at all. Are all of you denying 9/11? Are you denying the times square bomber? Btw Hitler didn't kill people in the name of god, he killed them because of his own selfish reasons. Also neither of these prove the radical Islamists aren't a threat

@WinniethePooh Good examples, but those are in the past. Let's talk about today's events when the taliban kill people who don't...

You don't have to kill in the name of a god to be a terrorist. There are plenty of Christian people who bomb abortion clinics or shoot up schools or kill US senators. And technically, though it is more recent, 9/11 is in our past too.

Muslims are capable of doing bad things, but not because they're Muslim. They can do bad things because they're people. Anyone can hide behind a mask of religion to commit evil acts. Christians, Jews, Muslims, all religions have done it. If you look at the course of all of known history, you would see that Christians have done it more than any other religious group ever has.

Radical people of any religion are a threat.

@pikabeau You don't have to kill in the name of a god to be a terrorist. There are plenty of Christian people who bomb...

Not to the united states. And true, any radicals are threats but it just happens that most of them are Muslim. Also it doesn't matter who has done what in the past. I'm not trying to find someone to blame. What does matter is the biggest threat today and radical island have proven time and time again that they are the ones we need to worry about the most. Again, I'm not saying that other people can't do bad things, and I'm not talking about criminals that just happen to be Muslim, I'm talking about terrorists who openly kill in the name of Allah. And the Spanish inquisition is over and done for but 9/11 represents strongly what is happening in current events today. If you watched the news when we caught Osama they said they found a HUGE deposit of information on planned terrorist attacks. These people have been taught from the time they are born that Islam is the path to salvation and that anyone who disagrees should be killed. That's not what Christians or Jews are taught, that's just a few insane individuals. Also by they're actions, they remove themselves from their religion because what they do is directly against the teachings of their church.

@WinniethePooh Not to the united states. And true, any radicals are threats but it just happens that most of them are Muslim. Also...

They're not taught that all non-Muslims should be killed. If they were, the world would be a much more dangerous place for non-Muslims. They are taught to spread their religion and to be the best Muslim they can be while fighting the Jihad within themselves. Very few Muslims, the extremists, take that to mean they have to spread their religion using Jihad. Islam actually teaches that Muhammad was their prophet from God, Jesus was the Christian prophet, and Moses was the Jewish prophet, and that all three religions are paths to salvation. Most Muslims will tell you that the terrorists are not practicing Muslims and that they have the Koran totally wrong.

And I know it's in the past, but I think if the Crusades or Inquisition never happened there would not be any ill feelings between Muslims and Christians.

Since most people in prison are black, should I be extra careful around black people?

@pikabeau They're not taught that all non-Muslims should be killed. If they were, the world would be a much more dangerous...

Sure. I feel more vulnerable when I'm surrounded by people that sag their pants, wear t-shirts that cover their knees, have chains, and are any race, but this tends to describe blacks and Latinos more than whites. But this isn't an argument about that. Like I have said numerous times, Islam is a great religion. They generally teach good morals and peace. The radicals however are very dangerous and it makes me sick to see that people dont even seem to think so. Yes, most Muslims probably would tell you these extremists are incorrect in their methodology, but they aren't saying it. If the are, it's not loud enough so that everyone can hear. That is why people are having problems with the tv show. They believe that the show is trying to lure Americans into a sense of security that isn't really there. And it's not about ill-feelings either, it's about a conflict of belief. These people don't kill us because they don't like us. They kill us because we think differently.

@WinniethePooh Sure. I feel more vulnerable when I'm surrounded by people that sag their pants, wear t-shirts that cover their...

It is about ill-feelings. Muslims and Christians got along before Christians went on a killing frenzy.
Radicals, of any religion, are dangerous. There are radical Jews out there, but that doesn't mean I get scared around Jewish people. Some priests rape little boys, but that doesn't mean I would keep my son from going to church.
Muslims are saying that the terrorists are not following the religion correctly, but no one is listening. That's why this tv show is necessary.
If it was up to you I bet we'd send all Muslims to detainment camps like we did with the Japanese when they bombed Pearl Harbor. Having your religion in common with a group of people does not make you affiliated with them. Or should I shy away from Christians because 99% of inmates are Christians? Should I assume all Germans are killers because the Nazis were a German party?
You know, there are Christian nations in Africa killing anyone who believes or acts differently than they do. You shouldn't just point your fingers at Muslims.

@pikabeau It is about ill-feelings. Muslims and Christians got along before Christians went on a killing frenzy. Radicals, of...

1) I never said Muslims were bad, in fact I said the contrary.
2) I'm not as concerned about Christians killing people in Africa because I'm in America.
I'm not bagging on Muslims because I hate them. I'm bagging on radical muslims because I think they'll kill me. You know, you really should read the above comments. I grow tired of repeating myself. The reason I am not talking about radical Jews or chirstians is 1) because that's not what this post is about, and 2) because they haven't tried killed 10,000 people is the last 10 years. Lastly, notice how I've said I don't know anything about the show and am not advocating its demise. If the show has Muslims saying that radicals are bad, then I'm in full support of it, but the post says that people are concerned that they downplay terrorists as
nothing. This is the problem

@WinniethePooh 1) I never said Muslims were bad, in fact I said the contrary. 2) I'm not as concerned about Christians killing...

You have said that most Muslims are terrorists. By mentioning the other religious extremists I am trying to show you that that's not true.
http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/0...s-are-muslims/
Only 6% of terrorists are Muslim. That seems like much less than half to me.

@pikabeau You have said that most Muslims are terrorists. By mentioning the other religious extremists I am trying to show...

I have not said that most Muslims are terrorists, I've said that most terrorists are Muslim. Also this link has been posted before and refuted before. Read the previous comments, it's only polite.

@WinniethePooh I have not said that most Muslims are terrorists, I've said that most terrorists are Muslim. Also this link has...

I read most of the previous comments, saw you were wrong, and thought I would take a stab at proving you wrong. I think you owe me the same courtesy you gave everyone else and refute that link for me as well. It's only polite.

@pikabeau I read most of the previous comments, saw you were wrong, and thought I would take a stab at proving you wrong. I...

If you want to bring up some new arguments, then sure. Until then I'm done repeating myself.

@WinniethePooh If you want to bring up some new arguments, then sure. Until then I'm done repeating myself.

http://amirite.net/681737/1581831
This is where you started to "refute" the link, right?
You have not proven that most terrorists are Muslims. All you have done is stated multiple attacks that involved people who happened to be Muslim. If I only cited examples of terrorist attacks that happened to involve Christians, would it be safe for me to say most terrorists are Christian?

You have not refuted anything. You're just denying FBI statistics. Give me some statistics to prove most terrorist are Muslims. Being able to recall more Muslim attacks than any other does not prove anything.

So what if those examples are in the past? They are still relevant and prove that Islam is not the world's only cause of religious conflict. No one is denying 9/11. We are simply saying it was the work of a small radical group and not the global Muslim community. There are plenty of terrorist groups in the world and not all of them are Muslim. The actions of the Taliban are no reason to fear Islam as whole.

The Taliban did not attack the US simply because the US isn't Muslim. If that were true, they could have just as easily attacked India or Japan. There were are whole complicated chain of events that lead to 9/11 and a lot of it had to do with US foreign policy and other issues that had nothing to do with Islam. You are completely over simplifying everything. The world can't be divided into good and evil as simply as that.

You are very mistaken. Extremism and terrorism is absolutely prohibited in Islam.

(Qur'an 60:7-8):

"It may be that God will grant love (and friendship) between you and those whom ye (now) hold as enemies. For God has power (over all things), and God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

God does not forbid you, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loves those who are just."

I haven't grown up in a terrorist camp with weapons under my bed. Terrorists and extremists are not Muslims. Any act that hurts a person, both physically or mentally, is forbidden. Al-Qaeda is a messed up group of people who claim to be Muslims. So don't call them Islamists, they have nothing to do with Islam.

Also, when you say that we're capable of doing bad things, I'd like to remind you that we all are. Everyone is capable of doing bad things.

@Eesa You are very mistaken. Extremism and terrorism is absolutely prohibited in Islam. (Qur'an 60:7-8): "It may be...

Never said Islam is bad. Never said they preach death or violence or murder. Only said some Muslims do. In fact many Muslims do. I never denied others can do bad things. They can. I only said Muslims do. My only point which people seem to misconstrue as me just being a hater I guess is that Islamic extremists are dangerous. Sure others are too, but stop trying to deny that they are. We have Al Qaeda, the Taliban, Iran, Pakistan, etc. as points in case. Now going back to the show, I don't know and don't care about it. I'm sure it's a fine show with a good message. I never said I agree with the people protesting it, in fact I've said almost all Muslims are great moral community members trying to live good and productive lives just like the rest of us. Let me phrase this a different way: I LIKE MUSLIMS!!! Does that make anyone happier. However I don't like extremists and am aware that most Muslims don't like them either. I sincerely hope that everything I've said was simply misunderstood or taken the wrong way because the alternative is to know that I live in a country where people consistently deny reality. That is all, I thank you and wish you a happy new year

@WinniethePooh Never said Islam is bad. Never said they preach death or violence or murder. Only said some Muslims do. In fact...

I understand you didn't mean to offend anyone. The only problem I have, is that you keep associating "terrorists" with Muslims. They might kill in the name of Allah, but in no way does that make them Muslim. I think that is quite clear, as no religion influences terrorism. No one said terrorists and extremists aren't dangerous, I think everyone knows that. Al-Qaeda and the Taliban are groups of mislead, disturbed people. I don't understand how Pakistan and Iraq come under the same category. They're countries. There is nothing in Islam that supports these terrorist groups. The reality isn't that Muslims are terrorists.

I apologize if there was a misconception, but this is what I had understood from your words.

We fear the Taliban because they are a dangerous criminal network with a history of violence against "the west" people they feel are a threat to their ideas. No one is afraid of them because they practice Islam. I'm not afraid when I see a Muslim in the airport. Airports are teeming with thousands of international visitors. There are Muslims in the airport every time you go there. Christians bomb themselves all the time. Muslims also bomb themselves all the time. Muslim people in middle eastern countries like Pakistan and Afghanistan are way more likely to die at the hand of the Taliban than anyone outside of the middle east.
Jihad means struggle. Not holy war. Jihad can include Jihad of the sword (holy war) the equivalent of the christian term "crusade" but it can refer to any personal struggle, like a struggle to be a better person. Holy war is not unique to Islam. Nearly every single country, regardless of it's predominant religion has taken part in a religious war.

The middle east is in a state of economic strain and political turmoil. The US pulled its troops out of Iraq a few days ago and a whole bunch of middle Eastern countries have overthrown their governement. Oil,

@fEMMAnist We fear the Taliban because they are a dangerous criminal network with a history of violence against "the west"...

poverty, corrupt government, and a whole bunch of other factors contribute to conflict in the middle east. The middle east doesn't have radical militia groups, tyrannical governments, economic inequality simply because it happens to be predominantly Islamic.
The Taliban is not the only terrorist group in the world. There are pro-life terrorists who bomb abortion clinics, there are Norwegian terrorists who bomb governments, there are environmental terrorists who shoot down whaling ships, and there Mexican terrorists who run drug cartels. Terrorism is a tactic, not a group of people.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +4Reply
@fEMMAnist poverty, corrupt government, and a whole bunch of other factors contribute to conflict in the middle east. The...

And it so happens that the majority of them that present a DIRECT THREAT to the US. The Taliban kill people because their laws tell them that everybody has to follow the sharia law. So what happens when someone doesn't? The options are conversion or death. Also I don't see Israel threatening to nuke Iran simply because they don't believe the same thing. Neither do I see the united states bombing India because they're not Christian. What I do see a lot of is Muslims killing Americans that don't believe in the sharia. And please, Iran's Islamic war is called jihad. It doesn't matter what it's definition is. And while true there are religious wars, how many of them are JUST because their opponents don't believe the same thing? All of the wars in the bible were because of land disputes, or bad blood between tribes, etc. but not ever JUST because they disagree. And the middle East doesn't have radical militias because they're Islam? Well then why are the Taliban there? And why do they kill non-Muslims just for being non-Muslims? Why is the Sharia the law of the land? And sure there are terrorists all over the world but none of these present a threat to US!! We need to worry about us

@WinniethePooh And it so happens that the majority of them that present a DIRECT THREAT to the US. The Taliban kill people because...

Sharia law is not a single universal set of laws in Islam. It is a moral code derived from several sources including the Qur'an, the Sunnah, and examples of the prophets. No two Muslims have the exact same beliefs about Sharia law. Most Muslims don't have a problem with non-Muslims who don't follow Sharia.
Jihad is the Arabic word for struggle. That's the definition get over it. By the way, Iran's Islamic war was called the 1979 revolution, not Jihad.

LOL! All the christian wars were over land disputes? That's right. The Crusades were one long misunderstood real estate conflict. No other religion has had a war over religion. Please.

What is all this about Iran? Just so you know, Iran is predominately Shiite while most other Muslims (the Taliban included) are Sunni. The Taliban and Iranian extremists are not the same people. In fact, they actually kind of hate each other. You are getting your middle eastern conflicts mixed up. Honestly, I don't think you understand a thing about Islam in the middle east.

Lots of terrorists groups threaten the US. One of the scariest and most threatening foreign terrorist groups are Mexican based drug cartels. Research it. It's pretty scary.

You know, I really don't know what Islam you're talking about, because it's not the one I've grown up learning about and it's definitely not the one I follow. It seems as though you haven't got a clue about what Islam even is. Our goal isn't to convert everyone, believe it or not.

Shariah law is extremely complicated. Therefore, most people don't know anything about it. You can't associate every terrorist act with Shariah law. Shariah law is for Muslims and Muslims only. We don't want to impose it on anyone. Why? Because it's for Muslims! In fact, its stated under Shariah law that you cannot impose any of the laws on non-Muslims. Never take examples from what happens in Muslim countries. They're not Islamic countries. If you haven't actually read the original, accurate Shariah law, you have no say in the matter. I can assure you that it is not what most people make it out to be. How do you think the Muslims, Jews and Christians lived side by side for generations in the Middle East? When prophet Muhammad ruled Mecca, he imposed Shariah law on the Muslims and had made a different set of laws for the Jews, with their approval.

Please educate yourself about Islam.

Bitch, please. Islam isn't that special.
Oppressive to women? Yeah, lot's of religions have that. Christianity Judaism Hinduism ect. were oppressing women way before Mohammed was even born. That not just a Muslim thing.
Honor Killings? Same deal. That's been around for ever in almost every society.
Christianity has the most people, so it naturally has the most terrorists.

@fEMMAnist Bitch, please. Islam isn't that special. Oppressive to women? Yeah, lot's of religions have that. Christianity...

"Christianity has the most people, so it naturally has the most terrorists. "
Proof, please? I don't believe that suicide bombers do what they do in the name of Christ. No, they do it in the name of Allah.

@reeree "Christianity has the most people, so it naturally has the most terrorists. " Proof, please? I don't believe that...

I never said Christianity had more middle eastern suicide bombers. But that's not the only form of terrorism. I said there were more christian terrorists than Muslim terrorists on account of there being more Christians. There are more Chinese terrorists than Croatian terrorists because China has more people than Croatia. It's just simple logic.

That's really flawed logic. That's like saying that's like saying because there are more ants than lions, they are the bigger threat

Lol, yeah a religion that requires you to greet any other Muslim you meet with "Peace be upon you" is obviously condoning violence.

And for the record, Islam teaches that women should have equal (and in some cases more) respect then men. Since you read the Quran, you would of course know that the most respected person in every Muslim's life after Allah and the prophet is supposed to be their Mother. Not even a person's father comes close to that respect.

@1582136

Speaking on how to treat women, or family for that matter I find it interesting that the bible says it's ok to kill your child if they mock you, or disobey. Happy day in the household. Seems like the only people who survive religion is fathers.