+187

Smoking marijuana is really no big deal. The people who think they're the shit for smoking weed and brag about it ("Oh, I got stoned tonight! And last night! And the night before!") are annoying, as are the self-righteous people who think they're the shit for not smoking it ("Only idiots smoke pot, so I never would.") Amirite?

Simons avatar
6 41
The voters have decided that Simon is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Why do people automatically assume that if you smoke weed you're an idiot and 'throwing your life away'? Maybe in some cases it's true, but definitely not all. I've never smoked weed, and I can't say that I plan to, but it's certainly not the worst thing I could do.

And it's not a automatically bad because the law says so. Why is it illegal in the first place? It's too hard for the government to tax. It has nothing to do with the government caring about our health.

brunetterox915s avatar brunetterox915 Yeah You Are +9Reply
@brunetterox915 Why do people automatically assume that if you smoke weed you're an idiot and 'throwing your life away'? Maybe in...

It's not worse than alcohol (better, in some cases) and I believe it was actually illegalized due to efforts by the cotton industry.

@TristantheGreat It's not worse than alcohol (better, in some cases) and I believe it was actually illegalized due to efforts by the...

actually way better, in one case, you drink to much alcohol, you die. In another you just feel awesome, and then take a nap.

Anyone I know who has done just weed has turned out perfectly sane and are intelligent enough to have a day to day job. Anyone I know whose connected with weed whose life is shit has been on multiple types of drugs.
Then there's the medical marijuana argument. I support it, seeing as my dad has stage 4 non hodgkins lymphoma and marijuana helps with his pain, as well as helps him eat and relax. He doesn't have very long anyways, and I'd rather him not be in pain. Plus, he's 6'0 and weighs 138 pounds. He needs anything he can eat.

FanceyPantss avatar FanceyPants Yeah You Are +5Reply

I don't have a very strong opinion on this, but marijuana can have different effects on everyone. Some can be lazy shut-ins and some are very active, even if they're just working blue-collar jobs. Marijuana is a recreational drug and 'tonic' as some say that can be PSYCHOLOGICALLY addicting, not chemically. I think it's to the person's right to smoke, eat, inhale, whatever in their lives. It doesn't mean they are idiots. And just because people are against it doesn't mean they are self-rightious because they are probably speaking with respect of witnessing only bad effects of marijuana on people they know.

@Isawagothopotamus I don't have a very strong opinion on this, but marijuana can have different effects on everyone. Some can be lazy...

I'd argue that marijuana doesn't make them like that, that they were probably like that without it as well.

I love this post. Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it's illegal for the right reasons.

Claiming you're not an idiot hardly makes you self-righteous. And smoking marijuana is a big deal.

@1605303

Well, first of all, it's illegal. Obviously it's not the best enforced law or one of the worst crimes according to the US justice system, but it is illegal nevertheless.

Additionally, it normally gets you involved with the "bad" crowd. People involved with drugs aren't normally the perfect angle teenagers with futures.

Furthermore, you do actually waste your life with drugs. Not only does it take away your time and money, but it takes away from your mental awareness for a certain length of time.

The average person that doesn't do drugs will always statistically be brighter than the average druggie. In my school, I don't know any people doing drugs in the IB program and only one in AP, while around 20% of the school as a whole is on drugs.

@1605325

Well, I'm talking about both. The more you misuse drugs the less intelligent you'll become. So, yes, smoking marijuana once in your life won't significantly affect your intelligence, although I think you could argue that doing drugs once shows you have lower intelligence than someone who doesn't if the judgement was based solely on that decision.

I tried to find that link you wanted and it lead me to this an article published by theweek.com saying smarter kids did drugs as adults: wary smilie
http://theweek.com/article/inde...-use-drugsnbsp

Now I'm confused because I know of no one intelligent that does drugs. Actually, everyone I know that does drugs is a complete idiot...

@1605346

Well, there's always going to be counter-examples to the majority. Yes, casually smoking marijuana doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb, but I'd say that the average person that never smokes marijuana is going to be better off than the average person who does.

Also, I'd like to point that the article I previously linked to has no indication of success or education being related to drugs. If it's true that intelligence is related to drugs (which still surprises me a lot), then it only goes to show that drugs are a big deal when taken excessively, and usually have bad consequences when taken in moderation because druggies definitely don't end up more successful than non-druggies on average.

@YeahIAm Well, there's always going to be counter-examples to the majority. Yes, casually smoking marijuana doesn't...

One of your biggest arguments is that it makes you dumb, it doesn't. Dumb people tend to smoke marijuana more often than the kids in AP classes. I know kids in my APs that aren't allowed out on Fridays, and Saturdays. Clearly they are not going to start smoking. On the flip side I play music with kids whose parents are never home so they are going to be able to smoke more. Marijeana is different than a lot of other drugs because it doesn't necessarily hurt your brain. There was a study where they did test this on monkeys and found different results than what I just said, and not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but recently they released how the study was done and the monkeys where choked with smoke, brain damage only happens when you get so much smoke that your brain starts to die from lack of oxygen. Marijuana causes damage than the sun or drinking.

I don't believe for a second that the average person who smokes weed is more dumb than the average person who doesn't. I know a ton of people who smoke weed and I haven't seen any correlation between how much they smoke and how dumb they are.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are -3Reply
@YeahIAm Well, first of all, it's illegal. Obviously it's not the best enforced law or one of the worst crimes according to...

Drinking alcohol is illegal and it's not a big deal at all, especially if you don't get caught.
The bad crowd? I know tons of people who use marijuana. Tons of them smart, interesting, people with bright futures. I even know of a few professional adults who light up a joint every now and then. Some who use it are idiots, some are not. I don't really think it's fair to judge people based on whether or not they use marijuana.
I also don't think it's fair to group stuff like marijuana and alcohol in the same category as other drugs. Heroine, speed, meth, and crack are serious drugs really can ruin your life an kill you. The only way marijuana can kill you is if someone threw it at you hard enough.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +5Reply

If only you guys knew what happened to some of the people in my life because of drugs.

GiggityGoo22s avatar GiggityGoo22 Yeah You Are -2Reply

I would never smoke weed because it's illegal, and only idiots do smoke weed. I don't want to spend my time getting high all the time and throwing my life away, as I've first hand seen others do. All of you teens are brainwashed into thinking weed is good for you and it should be legal

@Lettuce I would never smoke weed because it's illegal, and only idiots do smoke weed. I don't want to spend my time getting...

If you think that only idiots smoke weed I suggest you take all your albums, cds, dvds, tapes etc and burn them.

kerouacs avatar kerouac Yeah You Are +22Reply
@YeahIAm You don't have to be smart to create music.

Well, you must listen to shitty music then.

kerouacs avatar kerouac Yeah You Are +11Reply
@kerouac Well, you must listen to shitty music then.

Well, I certainly don't listen to music about quantum mechanics or calculus. If that makes it shitty, my bad.

@YeahIAm Well, I certainly don't listen to music about quantum mechanics or calculus. If that makes it shitty, my bad.

It doesn't have to be mathematical or scientific to qualify as intelligent music. It could be political or philosophical. There are lot's of smart musicians.

kerouacs avatar kerouac Yeah You Are +10Reply

some of the best music is political. Its hard to make just plain good music as well, thats why there are so many failed musicians.

I don't think weed is good for someone, if good means healthy, but I see no reason why it should be illegal, when compared to legal things like cigarettes, alcohol, etc. Also, not everyone who smokes weed is a jobless stoner, both my parents smoke regularly and they're both employed. If it were to become legal, I can't see the laws about being high being much different to laws about being drunk, ie, coming to work high is grounds for dismissal, etc.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +9Reply

I really have a problem with you saying that people who smoke weed are throwing their life away. Both my parents used to smoke weed: both are pretty successful now, and always did well in school. My aunts and uncles on my mom's side smoked weed often, all of them are pretty successful as well. My friend's father smokes weed to this day, everyday, and he has a really good job. Tons of people that go/went to my school get high a lot, still the graduation rate at my school is upwards of 95%, and all the graduates went on to go to pretty cool colleges and are on the path towards having a successful life.

Yes, there's the people who throw everything away for weed, but most people aren't like that. Yes, it's illegal; no, it's not good for you, I agree with you on that: they're both facts. But for you to say that "only idiots do smoke weed", you're way wrong there.

AnnDeevas avatar AnnDeeva Yeah You Are +9Reply
@AnnDeeva I really have a problem with you saying that people who smoke weed are throwing their life away. Both my parents...

It's an interesting fact that most arguments against weed can be used just as well against perfectly legal alcohol.

@1605311

Actually it is addictive. I think I read somewhere that around 11% of users are addicted to marijuana. Anything and everything can be addictive, so saying that marijuana isn't is just ignorant.

Stepharoos avatar Stepharoo Yeah You Are +5Reply

Only idiots smoke weed? Yeah, okay. Nice generalization there.
My best friend and I smoke weed about every other day, or sometimes every day, and we still manage to do well in our classes, three of which are honors classes.
Problem?

Clay_s avatar Clay_ Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Clay_ Only idiots smoke weed? Yeah, okay. Nice generalization there. My best friend and I smoke weed about every other...

ITT: We prove that weed isn't bad for you because this kid on the internet smokes it and still does well in school

Courage_Wolfs avatar Courage_Wolf Yeah You Are +10Reply