+673

Universities now are the Hollywood of the 1950s... they're both big heartless businesses, which lure a lot of young talent, promising them money and fortune, then rob them blind of all their belongings and spit them back out into the cruel streets with nothing to show, except some stories of the good times. Amirite?

KickAsss avatar Education
63 51
The voters have decided that KickAss is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Our whole lives we are taught to do good in school so that we can go to college and not have to work at McDonalds. Then when we need to ind a way to pay for college, they tell us to get off our high horse and get a job at McDonalds to pay for it.
We are also taught that going to college would provide an instant career right after, but that is almost never the case. It is ridiculous.

Nonsense_Narwhals avatar Nonsense_Narwhal Yeah You Are +19Reply
@Nonsense_Narwhal Our whole lives we are taught to do good in school so that we can go to college and not have to work at McDonalds...

Ridiculous?? It's nonsense! smirk smilie

What? What do you mean that joke isn't funny anymore? Oh...oops

runnerdudes avatar runnerdude Yeah You Are +1Reply

That's still Hollywood, Universities just joined in.

@That's still Hollywood, Universities just joined in.

Well, I guess you're right, but I feel like hollywood when it first started out, was way worse than it is now, since people were so clueless about it, I feel like the whole publicity universities have will go down, once people realize how truly corrupt they are.

KickAsss avatar KickAss Yeah You Are +2Reply
@KickAss Well, I guess you're right, but I feel like hollywood when it first started out, was way worse than it is now...

then what? ... people will figure out that since universities are no more, the only reason even high schools exist is because they provide a socially acceptable environment where creativity can be unforgivingly squashed. Then, not only institutions of higher learning will "go down" but the already-failing public education system will be broken. Only independent schools will remain and eventually the 1% (give or take 5%) will usurp power. Then they will hire brawny people to "take care of their enemies". The brawny people will eventually recognise the error of their ways and overthrow the 1%. Anarchy will prevail for a while, but then the descendants of the brawny people will take control. Then, they will kill off the weak, effectively ending overpopulation.

@Montana Lighten_Up bro.

psh... MONTANA.

Oh, on a side note, did you know that the mountains in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance trilogy were inspired by the tall lush ones in his home-state of Montana?

@Lighten_Up psh... MONTANA. Oh, on a side note, did you know that the mountains in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance trilogy...

psh... LIGHTEN_UP

Did you know that I was in fact named after the minivan produced by former automobile producer Pontiac, and not name after the majestic state of Montana, home of the mountains that inspired those in Christopher Paolini's Inheritance trilogy?

@Montana Lighten_Up bro.

They're having a debate about a serious subject wt smilie
edit: nvm I read what he said lol

This is very clever.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +17Reply
@StickCaveman This is very clever.

Is it? 20 bucks says he hasn't even set foot on a college campus, let alone attend one.

@WillAkana Is it? 20 bucks says he hasn't even set foot on a college campus, let alone attend one.

... You don't have to be in college to understand how expensive college is and how sometimes it's not worth it.

Regardless of whether OP has been on a campus or not, I still think it's clever because that is my view of college.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +5Reply
@WillAkana Why so?

Well for one, the only thing I was told in high school was that I would not be successful in life unless I had a college degree. So, I thought I'd give it a try. Now a senior, I realize I've mostly wasted my time and money because I'm learning stuff I could learn from a quick Google search.

College isn't for everyone and I don't mean that some people are too stupid for college... I mean that the more people who go to college means the more people taking the desired high paying jobs. The number of these jobs doesn't just increase overnight and so people find themselves with more and more competition for these jobs.

The media and colleges lead us to believe that some jobs are demeaning when in reality, these "demeaning" jobs (like the ones on 'Dirty Jobs') are starting to have higher salaries because there aren't enough people who want to do them.

I completely understand engineers, nurses, doctors or teachers going to college but there are some majors that are just a waste of time and money.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +12Reply

Senior in college buddy... graduating a semester early... I'm watching my friends graduating with architecture degrees and all sorts of degrees and not get jobs....

KickAsss avatar KickAss Yeah You Are +4Reply

I agree with the business part, but hopefully I won't get spit out with nothing to show for it.

You can put POTD on your college apps

scooooooooooore

JennaGees avatar JennaGee Yeah You Are +13Reply

Except university graduates will probably be spit out in to the world with moderate liver damage and a few damaged brain cells despite the degree.

It's pretty sad that some college graduates can't find a job to support their lifestyle yet, some people on YouTube who never went to college are making a living on posting a couple videos a week. (not that I'm hating on those people, I think that's great for them)

KateJoseph28s avatar KateJoseph28 Yeah You Are +8Reply
@KateJoseph28 It's pretty sad that some college graduates can't find a job to support their lifestyle yet, some people on YouTube...

Dude, soon the majority of the world's employment activity and otherwise will be happening on YouTube and wealth will be determined by how many interesting videos you put out how frequently. Then we'll all be living our lives like in Scott Westerfeld's Extras.

Yes it's long, but it's interesting.

@Montana Yes it's long, but it's interesting.

This was really interesting. Good find!

Many people go to uni solely to get pissed off their face because they haven't had that experience living with their parents while others work hard acedemically and achieve. It just depends what each individual wants out of the degree that they sign up for.

JamesDs avatar JamesD Yeah You Are +4Reply

College isn't really about allowing people with the most talent anymore. You can pretty much pay your way through.

@1619892

That actually sounds like... every university out there. Even if it's not far from the city, since there are a lot of students without cars, they take all the advantage that they can by hiking everything up and for those who do, they rape them with a frigging high parking pass cost.

KickAsss avatar KickAss Yeah You Are +1Reply
@1620190

Some people go to Hollywood with the pure intention of one day entertaining the world... and there are also a lot of people who went to Hollywood who became successful

You can always go to Neverland and never grow up. JK everyone wants to go to college.

SOMEONE has an agenda!

Your POTD wish has been granted. wary smilie

Are you from the futer?

faithnamedmes avatar faithnamedme Yeah You Are -3Reply