+166

It's kind of disheartening to realize that the most educated and wise people get the same amount of say as high school dropouts as to who is going to run the country, amirite?

CallMeMrRights avatar
0 20
The voters have decided that CallMeMrRight is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

No it's wonderful. Every citizen should have a say in who runs their country. I wish more people were educated politically, but it would be more disheartening to say "no you don't have a say as a citizen because we believe you are not smart enough"

@soberlikekesha No it's wonderful. Every citizen should have a say in who runs their country. I wish more people were educated...

i agree. who runs the country will make decisions that apply to every citizen, not just the ones that are educated.

Exactly. High school dropouts are just as much citizens as anyone else. They have to live by the rules and pay taxes so they should get as much say as anyone else. I'm only 18 and still in high school, but I think my opinions matter just as much as a person with a PhD.

@AppAwesome Except for kids because they are dum

You can't vote until you're 18 so kids can't vote anyhow. And it's *dumb.

@AppAwesome But kids are citizens

I can see you're trying to troll by picking apart one word I used even though you can perfectly understand what I was saying. Kids are citizens but they can't vote. Are you disputing that fact and saying you wish a 6 year old could vote? Otherwise your comment is just nonsense.

It's also disheartening that despite a person's intelligence or education, politics can boil down to completely emotional decisions with no basis in objective fact.

This post is disheartening. Everyone has an opinion and has just as much a right to voice it as anybody else. And just because someone dropped out of highschool doesn't mean they're stupid, and just because someone is educated doesn't mean they make better decisions about the country than poorly educated people.

@Frank_n_Furter This post is disheartening. Everyone has an opinion and has just as much a right to voice it as anybody else. And...

I think this post is getting taken a little out of context...when i said "well educated and wise" and "high school dropouts", i was trying to convey people that do make well reasoned choices about everything (including politics) vs. people who make consistently bad choices about life (including politics). Basically, I'm saying it's frustrating because even when we have a good candidate, there's a good chance they won't win because so many people don't spend the time researching to make a well-reasoned vote.

CallMeMrRights avatar CallMeMrRight Yeah You Are -3Reply

^ What the person above me said.

To me, it's also not disheartening because (although the post doesn't mention this), it's fairly obvious which one of the two would likely RUN for office of some sort and have a chance at being elected. Regardless of who votes...we generally elect qualified people...whether you disagree with their political views or not.

If you're a citizen, you can vote. That's what this country is, a democracy.

Just my honest opinion.

Popular vote isn't always used to determine the next president. The electoral college does.
2000 Presidential Election, anyone?

@Clay_ Popular vote isn't always used to determine the next president. The electoral college does. 2000 Presidential...

That's different, because popular vote BY STATE still determines it. All electoral votes go to whoever won the popular vote in each state. So technically, all members of the same state have the exact same say - it varies tiny amounts from state to state, but generally the amount of people per electoral vote is the same.

The 2000 election was a fluke because Gore won the states he won by MORE than Bush won his states. For example, Gore could win by 100,000 votes in one state, and then Bush wins by 20,000 votes each in two states. Bush may have more electoral votes, but Gore technically has more popular votes. Again, though - popular vote BY STATE determines the president.

CallMeMrRights avatar CallMeMrRight Yeah You Are -4Reply
@1610610

read my reply to the earlier comment..those weren't meant to be specific examples, i was trying to convey "wise person" vs. "foolish person"

CallMeMrRights avatar CallMeMrRight Yeah You Are 0Reply

Well it is fair because a high school dropout would vote for someone who could make changes so the situations or reasons behind their dropout stop existing.

@1715392

....how many times shall I explain that "high school dropouts" was merely a specific example of people who are generally less intelligent? At least once more, I suppose.

CallMeMrRights avatar CallMeMrRight Yeah You Are -2Reply

Popular vote has no ties whatsoever to who wins the presidency.

Mehis avatar Mehi No Way -4Reply
@Mehi Popular vote has no ties whatsoever to who wins the presidency.

Uhh.....what country?
The United States it does...popular vote by state determines which candidate all electoral votes for that state go to. So technically, a wise man and a highschool drop out in the same STATE have just as much say, it would theoretically vary a little from state-to-state depending on how many citizens were in the state.