+346

Any book you read in a foreign language class is pretty much guaranteed to sound like it was written for preschoolers. amirite?

canadianiglooss avatar
1 19
The voters have decided that canadianigloos is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

We've read Frankenstein and Sherlock Holmes in English class, and Jules Verne and Guy de Maupassant un French class. Doesn't seem like literature for preschoolers to me...

I don't know if this counts as a foreign language, but if it does, then this is another scenario where Latin is an anomaly.

@ctiscooler I don't know if this counts as a foreign language, but if it does, then this is another scenario where Latin is an...

Yeah, I don't think Cicero, Catullus, Terence, Pliny the Younger, etc. is exactly childish reading.

latin isnt a foreign language, it's a dead language. while it may be important to learn for historys sake, no country uses it as a main language for communication

@Cgymnast7 latin isnt a foreign language, it's a dead language. while it may be important to learn for historys sake, no...

I don't mean to argue semantics here, but seeing as the definition of foreign is "of, pertaining to, or derived from another country or nation", I'd say it's a foreign language.

@ctiscooler I don't mean to argue semantics here, but seeing as the definition of foreign is "of, pertaining to, or derived...

yeah i guess but latin isn't grouped in this because there are no books being written in latin nowadays. the books written back then were for the literate elite-not high school kids trying to learn the language

@Cgymnast7 yeah i guess but latin isn't grouped in this because there are no books being written in latin nowadays. the books...

Just because they were written a long time ago means they're void? The post says "any book you read in a foreign language class", and I certainly read books in my Latin class.

Somethig can be foreign and dead. It's not just used for history's sake either. Many other languages have at least parts that are derived from Latin. while no country uses Latin as a main languages, Spanish, Purguguese, Romanian, Frence, and Italian are.

In French we read Le Petit Prince... it was specifically written for children! Haha but it was still actually pretty challenging. It forces you to learn the language the same way you learned your first language, if that makes sense.

spicygenous avatar spicygenou Yeah You Are 0Reply

Bah oui, mais pas comme si petite comme la planète de le petit prince ;)

canadianiglooss avatar canadianigloos Yeah You Are 0Reply