+219

That new Get One Give One campaign from Fruit Roll-Ups is kinda stupid. I mean, you're sending laptops to children that might not have electricity or don't know how to use one. It would be better to send them books, amirite?

Valgories avatar
1 12
The voters have decided that Valgorie is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It's funny how we think that all anyone in Africa needs is food, a house, clothes, and tools. It totally makes sense to send laptops to them because there are plenty of places in Africa where the basics are taken care of well enough and education is the next step that needs to be met.

@1619841

Yeah and I'm betting the laptops aren't going to those ones.

@1619841

Whether or not they have the basics, a laptop is a bit silly. It makes more sense to fund schools so that they can have computers to use for schoolwork, rather than spending money to give kids a laptop so they can play on it.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are +1Reply

It would be better to send them items that teach them better ways to live in their enviroment. tools to help them grow food/hunt for food. Tools to help them start fire so they can boil their water, etc etc. We keep sending them things that are nice, but wont help them in the long run.

@soberlikekesha It would be better to send them items that teach them better ways to live in their enviroment. tools to help them...

lol I understand what you're saying, but the way you stated it made me picture Africans as cavemen or something. A lot of Africans are actually quite used to technology, especially cell phones. They aren't in the stone age or anything

@Joe_Larson lol I understand what you're saying, but the way you stated it made me picture Africans as cavemen or something. A...

Lol i know but what does a cellphone do to give them food? a lot of their water is contaminated and they have no way to boil the germs out so they're forced to drink it. they dont have plant seeds, or garden tools so how can they grow food? Thats pretty much what i was trying to say but yea looking back on it it seems like a geico commercial lol "so easy a caveman could do it"

I'm sure they send the laptops to kids who have the necessary resources to use them. They don't just send them to random kids in hopes that they will be able to use them; that would just be stupid.

Or fruit roll ups

Yeah, they just totally forgot about electricty. Good thing you pointed that out.