+239

If a person is morally against homosexuality, but is also a person that would treat a homosexual individual the same as any other individual, that person doesn't deserve to be called a homophobe and reprimanded for expressing their views on the topic. amirite?

I_Predict_A_Riots avatar Life
9 35
The voters have decided that I_Predict_A_Riot is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I would honestly love to hear a rational reason why someone would be morally against someone being attracted to someone of the same gender when it does not negatively affect anyone else if they are.

@Because it's icky!

But by that logic,the person would also be against sexual activity in a straight couple where one our both are sterile. I know no one who would say that. Therefore it its not a logical belief, but irrational prejudice to use that rationale for one couple but not another.

@I'm the guy that said it's icky, not that I hate it cause it doesn't make babies

Sorry, I was talking to Cherry. Replies go to everyone in the thread now.

@Suzywao Sorry, I was talking to Cherry. Replies go to everyone in the thread now.

Really!? Oh wow I've made a lot of stupid comments recently

@1627973

How is that rational though? Besides being homosexual is more than just having sex with someone of the same gender.

How can you be morally against a homosexual, then treat one as any other person? To me, that is illogical. If someone is indifferent to a type of person, they will not be accepting and kindhearted to said person.

@Dinosaurs How can you be morally against a homosexual, then treat one as any other person? To me, that is illogical. If...

i think it's more the fact that i'm against their choices, but not them. like, i'm against people smoking or drinking, but i can still be friends with someone who does. i'm against homosexuality, but i can still be friends with someone who is.

@i think it's more the fact that i'm against their choices, but not them. like, i'm against people smoking or...

But you likely will treat them differently. Besides, if you hate a core part of someone - regardless of whether it's a choice or not (but it isn't btw) - how can you honestly consider them a friend? More importantly, how can THEY honestly consider you a friend, knowing you hate something about them, and that it's opinions like yours causing them all this trouble?

As another note, being against drinking and smoking and being against homosexuality are in totally different worlds. A) smoking and drinking are activities you can stop doing for just one day if it really upsets someone. You can't just stop being gay for a day. B) Smoking and drinking are inherently bad due to the biology of it - even in a totally accepting world, smokers would still have lung problems and drinkers would still have liver problems and both could still have addiction problems. In a totally accepting world, homosexuality would have absolutely zero problems.

@But you likely will treat them differently. Besides, if you hate a core part of someone - regardless of whether...

I can hate Christianity as the core being of someone else and think it's morally wrong. That is the core of their being, but I will still treat them as an individual fairly and definitely be friends with them.

Not nessessarily (or how you spell it, on the phone, bear with me).
My brothers gay, and he has had to have two surgeries on his asshole because of hemmorraging and other things. The doctor said one in 3 homosexuals who are the "woman" in the relationship suffer from similar problems. So zero problems, no.

A human does or thinks something illogical?! o_0 My, what a strange concept.
(But you have a point, I'm just being annoying ^^)

@xxirishwristwatchxx Morally against homosexuality =/= morally against homosexuals

You can't be against an entire sexuality, and then not be against the people who are of said sexuality. To some degree, if you are against the sexuality, you WILL be against the people.

@Dinosaurs You can't be against an entire sexuality, and then not be against the people who are of said sexuality. To some...

You can be against the concept and against the behavior but still appreciate and like the person

Being morally against homosexuality is like being morally against being female. The idea of it is completely irrational and therefore homophobic (or sexist).

@wobbuffet Being morally against homosexuality is like being morally against being female. The idea of it is completely...

I'll also reiterate the point I made on a post abut racism the other day: a person who is morally against homosexuality is not going to treat gay people the same. Being irrational and being rational are both separate processes in the brain, and a person cannot simultaneously maintain both. Look up cognitive dissonance. I won't even bother to elaborate because the same people vote YYA and favorite these posts all the time. As usual, amirite voters behave like sheep after a grueling series of lobotomies...

@wobbuffet I'll also reiterate the point I made on a post abut racism the other day: a person who is morally against...

since when is being opposed to something irrational? It is plenty possible to treat a homosexual the same as any other individual even if you're opposed to what they do. It's called being a decent person.
"I won't even bother to elaborate because the same people vote YYA and favorite these posts all the time." well duh. Don't call em' sheep because they have a different opinion than you. Isn't this site about sharing opinions? I'm pretty clueless, but last time I checked this was a site about sharing opinions and personal attacks are kind of counter-productive.

@I_Predict_A_Riot since when is being opposed to something irrational? It is plenty possible to treat a homosexual the same as any...

I'll link you to my comment about racism, because it responds to your first paragraph: http://amirite.net/570621/1616162

As for your second paragraph, I feel pretty strongly about prejudice because I don't think it has any place in modern society. It is like a mind virus that makes us act like the primates we evolved from and not the intelligent species we could be. I try to fight prejudicial sentiments I see on amirite in a civil way, but despite my (and other people's) efforts, I notice that many users on here keep agreeing with posts that condone prejudice. I'm not going to lie, I think my beliefs are grounded in pretty good logic, so the conclusions I've come to are that either amirite users don't actually think about the posts they vote on, or they are perfectly happy to think and behave illogically, or both. Hence why I called people who agreed with your post sheep. But yeah I'm starting to think my efforts on here are pretty futile. So I think I'm moving on from amirite.net now. Adios

@wobbuffet I'll link you to my comment about racism, because it responds to your first paragraph:...

I can't believe you seriously thought you'd sway people's opinions. They're probably just as grounded in their beliefs as you are.

but whatever... toodles.

@lol upvoting your own post

might as well if it keeps it from being negative :p plus I think I'm awesome.

Kind if relevant- Homophobia: Someone who is willing to stand in a long line at Wal Mart to buy a pack of gum because the only other (and shorter) line available has a gay man working the check out line. (Yes, I really have a friend that did this and yeah I called his ass out on it.)

@TheBroadwayAudition Kind if relevant- Homophobia: Someone who is willing to stand in a long line at Wal Mart to buy a pack of gum...

You can kind of understand the logic though. If your friend is a guy then the gay cashier would have obviously flirted with him and grabbed his ass and demanded anal sex and stuff. Who wants to submit themselves to that?

I don't get why anyone could be morally against homosexuality.

The only reason i could possibly thing of is religious. But that's stupid because a doubt any of you follow every single thing god commands in the Bible. And homosexuality is not even one of the 613 commandments. So if one of you follows every single thing the Bible says as absolute law, then fine, you may say homosexuality is morally wrong. But then you would be too busy working in the fields and praying to say anything about it on the internet.

I really don't get it. Either it's religious reasons, which is stupid because the bible says a lot of stupid things. If you work on Sunday you get stoned to death, if you wear fabric made of two different materials you get stoned to death, if you plant two different crops next to each other you get (you guessed it!) stoned to death. People are also using the same bible passages to protest gay marriage as they did to protest interracial marriage.
Or you could think it's gross, which is just stupid. People shouldn't be denied their rights because it makes you uncomfortable.

So, if you can find a better word than Homophobe that describes what this messed up thought process is, I'll consider using it. But I'm not going to stop telling you I think you wrong, and I'm probably going to think less of you because of it.

@sighcantthinkofaname I really don't get it. Either it's religious reasons, which is stupid because the bible says a lot of stupid...

I think it's gross. I wouldn't do it.
Do I accept it? No. I don't. My belief isthat it isn't a sexuality. And that you aren't "born that way".
Does that make me a homophobe? No.
My brothers gay. I don't keep close touch with him. Does that make me a homophobe?
Homophobia is when you deliberately denounce a homosexual and deliberately avoid a homosexual.
So, I'll ask again. Am I a homophobe?

@Your_Moms_Boyfriend I think it's gross. I wouldn't do it. Do I accept it? No. I don't. My belief isthat it isn't a sexuality. And that...

I repeat, if you think of a better word I'll consider using it. I typically only use that word for people who say, don't like a certain celebrity because they're gay. Typically I'll just say "Against gay rights"
I'll also repeat that you can't deny someone rights because you think it's icky.

Just putting this out there, I do believe homosexuality is morally wrong, but I have never ever been mean or said anything degrading to any homosexual ever, nor do I plan to. I really do treat them just like I treat everyone else, and I don't shove my beliefs in their faces. It is completely possible to be morally against homosexuality but still treat homosexuals as one would treat anyone else.

Jennitalias avatar Jennitalia Yeah You Are +3Reply

I agree. I judge people by actions not by their beliefs. If you treat people well, do good deeds, and contribute to society, I don't care what kind of stupid nutty beliefs you have.

fEMMAnists avatar fEMMAnist Yeah You Are +2Reply

Now, my opinion.
I think that if I believe homosexuality is wrong for personal reasons, and idont think you were born that way, nor would I ever do it. Does that make me a bad person? Does that make me immoral? Does that mean I should be reprimanded? No, it does not. It's simply an opinion. I have friends that are gay, (which is weird, because they hiton me) but id go to their wedding if my state permitted it.
But here's some brain food for you people: even though there are radicals who stop at nothing to disprove homosexuality, have you ever thought about the radicals who try to PROVE homosexuality? It works both ways, you can't deny it.

@1627831

You most certainly are not "one of those people the post is referring to." The post talks about being against homosexuality, but treating the individuals with respect. By saying "acting upon homosexual feelings is immoral" and "I just wouldn't go to their wedding" means you wouldn't be treating them as any other human.