+219

It's a bit weird to think that in hundreds of years, people might learn about this time period as a different age in the history of man, like the Stone Age, amirite?

Sergios avatar Philosophy
4 18
The voters have decided that Sergio is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The information age?
The age of the internet?
The Trolololic Period?

Sergios avatar Sergio Yeah You Are +1Reply

It feels a little bit insulting. Like, nobody will ever know all that stuff that happened in our lives, all the little fads and the big news and the celebrity gossip and the health crazes. They will only think of us as a "period in time", and only mention the really big stuff, like, I don't know, the invention of the internet. Or something. Our bodily evolution. Stuff that nobody really cares about today.

mashmallow515s avatar mashmallow515 Yeah You Are +14Reply
@mashmallow515 It feels a little bit insulting. Like, nobody will ever know all that stuff that happened in our lives, all the...

Think about it though. Do you know what the biggest health craze in the Renaissance was? Do you know what everyone was talking about in the Victorian Era? Do you even really care?

Harlequinades avatar Harlequinade Yeah You Are +7Reply
@Harlequinade Think about it though. Do you know what the biggest health craze in the Renaissance was? Do you know what everyone...

But that's the point: In some amount of time, everyone here will just be text in a book, a statistic, a source of information...people will be remembered by what they invented, what major events in history they were involved in, etc.

Sergios avatar Sergio Yeah You Are +8Reply
@Sergio But that's the point: In some amount of time, everyone here will just be text in a book, a statistic, a source of...

Exactly. Our time period won't be remembered for stuff like Sarah Jessica Parker's face kind of looking like a horse, or Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie splitting up. Hopefully, we will be remembered for more important things, like the Arab Spring or the acceptance of gay rights.

@Sergio Hopefully...we've done a lot of things I'd prefer history forgot.

Future generations always romanticize the past. Whenever I think of the early 1900s, I imagine chivalrous men in top hats and pretty women in beautiful dresses. Obviously, that is not exactly how it was, but it is how we want to think of it as. Maybe the next generations will think of us in a similar manner.

Harlequinades avatar Harlequinade Yeah You Are +4Reply

Well basically we jumped from candels in the dark to ipads with the capability to use the internet on the go and an app the simulates a candle for when its dark. This time of man has been the largest boom in technology and its kind of a big achievement for man. So i feel like our time period (ofcourse not my time period alone but maybe from like the 1900's) will be studied pretty well especially with how heavily weve documented it. Maybe a scholar from the future will even stumble on amirite and use it for a report and then use it recreationally. But yeah our individual existence is basically a small smear on time which no one will give to shits about.

@Jonesy Well basically we jumped from candels in the dark to ipads with the capability to use the internet on the go and an...

Yah, it's crazy to think how many big events we've lived through & the things that happened only a few years before we were born.

• first black president
  • terroist attack at 9/11
  • invention of the computer

there's more but those are to name a few.

iceeselenawizs avatar iceeselenawiz Yeah You Are +1Reply

I always like to think about this and make up little scenarios in my head. Just imagine them using our pop culture as information.

"Teenagers became obsessed with which of the following?
A. Sex
B. Drugs
C. Internet
D. All of the above"

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +5Reply
@AdonisBatheus I always like to think about this and make up little scenarios in my head. Just imagine them using our pop culture...

I don't think sex on the youth and drugs were too prominent in culture until the 1900s. But I could be wrong.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are 0Reply

Well I doubt libido would be any higher now than it has been in the past. And a lot of drugs have always been around, especially if you include alcohol and tobacco.

Emperorerrors avatar Emperorerror Yeah You Are 0Reply

The plastic age.

YuZs avatar YuZ Yeah You Are 0Reply