+123

Its pretty annoying how people refer to the covers of books when they started out talking about the looks and personality of humans. They aren't the same thing, amirite?

likeomgitsjessis avatar
0 16
The voters have decided that likeomgitsjessi is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I agree, because when you read a book with an ugly cover you aren't looking at the cover when you read the book. When you're friends with an ugly and/or fat person you have to look at them and hide your revulsion every time you speak to them.

Well like the post on the homepage says, most people won't read a book if they don't find the cover of it amusing or interesting in any way.

@Well like the post on the homepage says, most people won't read a book if they don't find the cover of it amusing...

My point is, how does that relate to people? I understand the metaphor, but it's stupid and cliche.

@likeomgitsjessi My point is, how does that relate to people? I understand the metaphor, but it's stupid and cliche.

I guess people refer to people's looks and personality as books because it's the easiest thing to compare it to. Because the cover has the "looks" of the book, and on the inside it's just information, and stories and experiences (or the person's life details).

@I guess people refer to people's looks and personality as books because it's the easiest thing to compare it to...

Like I said, I understand the metaphor, but the cover of a book only tells part of the story or a certain scene. Like the cover is related to the book, but looks aren't related to a person's personality. Therefore the metaphor is flawed.

likeomgitsjessis avatar likeomgitsjessi Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Well a lot of the time people's looks are based on their personality.

Sometimes, not a lot of the time. Many times, it's based off of their coincidence levels which comes from the way other people perceive them, and sometimes the way they perceive themselves.

Wait what? This is worded really really awkwardly.

mchalla3s avatar mchalla3 Yeah You Are 0Reply
@likeomgitsjessi How so?

I just don't really get what you mean. Could you rephrase this?

@mchalla3 I just don't really get what you mean. Could you rephrase this?

Like people shouldn't say "don't judge a book by its cover" when they're talking about judging people because they aren't related in any way.

@likeomgitsjessi Like people shouldn't say "don't judge a book by its cover" when they're talking about judging people because they...

hmm. The quote is really meant for in general. Like if you meet somebody who is not so attractive, you should not give up on them as a friend straight away just because of that. You should have a good reason to. Just like how every hot person is not necessarily nice, either.

@mchalla3 hmm. The quote is really meant for in general. Like if you meet somebody who is not so attractive, you should not...

I'm aware of that, but most people say it as though the two (looks and personality) are connected when they aren't. If you give up on someone because the way they look, then that person is better off without you anyways. But the metaphor is cliche and unnecessary.

People are the same way. Once you hear their words you see past the exterior.