+243

Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month seem unnecessary. It's like accusing every other month as anti-black or anti-Hispanic, or accusing them of celebrating "white pride". It's kind of like Valentine's Day; if you're going to celebrate something apparently so "special", you shouldn't need a day or month to do it. Just do it every day. amirite?

AdonisBatheuss avatar
5 22
The voters have decided that AdonisBatheus is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well that's a lovely idea in theory, but that isn't the reality. It isn’t the thinking that we shouldn't have to segregate the learning of different history's that is the problem. The problem is that your statement is dismissive of the reason for the month in the first place. More importantly, it is dismissive of the fact that places where Black History Month actually means that people are learning about Black History, teachers are giving these lessons only during this month, they would see no other reason to include it otherwise. Be angry that students aren't learning about the contributions of Black/Hispanic people in June or every other month. Let that be where your words start. Saying "Just do it every day" means you don’t agree with the separation but you aren't really going to notice it outside of February.

Then I guess we shouldn't have Christmas, Independence Day, or any other holiday because we should celebrate these things everyday and they aren't that "special".

@JennaGee Then I guess we shouldn't have Christmas, Independence Day, or any other holiday because we should celebrate these...

Christmas is eh. Independence Day doesn't do much. Every other holiday is just a load of bullshit really. So yeah, I approve of this arrangement.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are -2Reply

I completely disagree with the first part, agree with the second. How exactly should I vote on this?

FlotatiousTurds avatar FlotatiousTurd Yeah You Are +3Reply
@FlotatiousTurd

I conpletely disagree with Freeman here. He says that we have to stop talking about it, but I believe that just sweeps the problem under the rug instead of dealing with it. It's like ignoring race all together.

Another thing that is semi relevant, is that I absolutely fucking hate it when someone says "I don't see you as black." Well yes you fucking do or you wouldn't have brought it up. It's another way of ignoring race that I find detrimental. It's like saying "I don't see you as what you are, but something I'm more comfortable being around." As if being black is a bad thing to be seen as. It's ignoring an entire culture and assigning a bland blank slate that doesnt exist.

Shugahs avatar Shugah No Way +3Reply
@Shugah I conpletely disagree with Freeman here. He says that we have to stop talking about it, but I believe that just...

Ignoring race all together is the goal. That's a good thing, all though practically impossible.

That whole "I don't see you as black" thing is understandable to me. In my school, the population of black people is a good...1/3, I think. The amount of them that are "ghetto" is ridiculous. I do have black friends, however, and they don't act like them. Out of natural stereotyping, I say they act normal, and the ghetto ones "act black". And...my friends admittedly agree, and one agrees up to the point where she has a problem with a lot of black people for acting so ghetto.

We say this because the other population here acts more "elegant", if that's the word I'm looking for. And I use that term loosely because half of the people here are horrendously redneck and it disturbs me greatly, and the other races that aren't white or black act fairly normal. Being a redneck is worse than being ghetto, in my opinion.

I think you can act black, act white, act Hispanic, act whatever race. And it's only insulting or racist depending on who's saying it, otherwise it could be complimentary or neutral. Also because there's no simple way for saying, "He/She exaggerates her race's stereotypes."

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are 0Reply
@AdonisBatheus Ignoring race all together is the goal. That's a good thing, all though practically impossible. That whole "I...

But why should race be ignored?
Race plays a major part in each culture. People don't try to ignore gender. It's a part of identity.

Instead of being ignored it should just be accepted and respected. And then we can move on.

Shugahs avatar Shugah No Way +6Reply
@FlotatiousTurd

I agree with a lot of Morgan Freeman's ideas. I've found that out rather recently.

I disagree!

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way +2Reply
@AdonisBatheus Why's that?

Months and days meant to bring awareness to a topic aren't meant to make the rest of the year insignificant. Those events are meant to remind everyone of culture and history that has effected our society to this point where the events may otherwise be forgotten. Sure civilization should have reached a point where race is no longer an element of prejudice or worry, but no one would think to remember them otherwise, unless for the purposes of education.

Shadis avatar Shadi No Way +13Reply
@Shadi Months and days meant to bring awareness to a topic aren't meant to make the rest of the year insignificant. Those...

But if we constantly remind ourselves of the trauma and terror then it's what we'll stick to. When you lose a family member, for instance, you shouldn't dwell over it for the rest of your life. I say that from experience.

So why dwell over past problems? I mean, we learn from mistakes and we have to remember those mistakes, but a simple education should do the matter.

And we need to stop prioritizing these things. These television shows promoting this ridiculous diversity in children has actually made me more racist if anything, especially because they make sure it's known that there's a diversity. It's not subtle and when you notice it there, you notice it's everywhere.

As Morgan Freeman said in the video, the best way to stop racism is to stop talking about it.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +1Reply

Honestly, what's the big deal with having Black History Month and the like? It's just to bring awareness, and don't give me crap about how there should be a White History month. The truth is, there is still a LOT of ignorance on the histories and cultures of many marginalized groups. Its the not the same, and you know it.

@Honestly, what's the big deal with having Black History Month and the like? It's just to bring awareness, and don't...

Bring awareness? To what? How humans are prejudice? Humans will never stop being prejudice and that's just a fact. We're awfully self-indulged and unsympathetic.

I think it's ironic that we have these, but if someone suggests "White History Month", that guy is seen as the most racist bastard on the planet

@I think it's ironic that we have these, but if someone suggests "White History Month", that guy is seen as the most...

Maybe because white history month is pretty much every other month, there is no need, white history isn't being excluded in the same way.