+136

If you found out your girlfriend or boyfriend had AIDS (before you had any form of sexual intercourse with them), you would probably break up with them, amirite?

StickCavemans avatar Relationships
1 39
The voters have decided that StickCaveman is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

By "found out" do you mean you found out on your own or they told you? Because if I found out my partner was hiding the fact that they had AIDs I would totally dump them. On the other hand, if they told me they had AIDs, I wouldn't dump them just for that.

@fEMMAnist By "found out" do you mean you found out on your own or they told you? Because if I found out my partner was hiding...

Well I don't imagine anyone meeting another person and just coming out with "oh yeah, I've got AIDs." I suppose for the sake of argument, we'll say that you started dating them and there was a moment when your partner "needed to sit down and have a talk" and that's when you find out.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +3Reply
@StickCaveman Well I don't imagine anyone meeting another person and just coming out with "oh yeah, I've got AIDs." I suppose for...

I would dump them so fast even if that happened. They wasted my time. I could have dated other people in that time. The one I would have married may have gotten taken during that time, and I would never know. No, I don't think sex is everything, but if yo're going to commit your entire life to one person, I think you should be able to get from that person the only thing you can't get from somewhere/someone else, or yourself without being seen as gross or an asshole.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are -8Reply

No, I wouldn't, and it's sad that people would.
That's the same thing as breaking up with someone just because they don't want to have sex. A relationship without sex would be fine.
I would never leave my boy/girl just because they have a fucking DISEASE that will eventually KILL THEM.

@iamganontheumbreon No, I wouldn't, and it's sad that people would. That's the same thing as breaking up with someone just because...

You say that, but there is so much baggage that comes with a disease that is incurable. You might not be able to have kids, and they would eventually die. If you can honestly handle that, that's awesome, but I doubt that I could.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are 0Reply
@rilara You say that, but there is so much baggage that comes with a disease that is incurable. You might not be able to...

True... But you should at least stay with them until they died. How would you feel if someone left you when you were suffering the most?

@iamganontheumbreon True... But you should at least stay with them until they died. How would you feel if someone left you when you...

Well, I'm assuming that you found out that this person had AIDS before the relationship got too serious. If I was just finding out when they were close to death, that would be a pretty messed up thing to not mention in the first place.

A relationship without sex would be fine maybe for you. But why should one person in a relationship never have sex just because the other doesn't want it? Of course nobody should be forced to do anything they don't want but in the case one person wants sex and their partner can't or doesn't want it, it only makes sense to split up.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1637097

Thats a bit cold, right? Of your partner had terminal cancer, you would be for them, right? So why is AIDS any different?

@1636597

Easy for you to say.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +9Reply
@1636609

To some people, sex is a very intimate way to show affection to your partner. Taking away sex from the relationship can take away that intimacy.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1636628

It doesn't have to rely on sex, but marrying that person would take away the most biologically pleasurable feeling in the world, if you don't cheat.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1636609

Because I'm sure they felt the same about you when they had unprotected sex with someone else...

OFWGKTAs avatar OFWGKTA Yeah You Are -6Reply
@1636597

"i love you, but we can't ever partake in the most joyous and bonding activity known as sex." that just doesn't work.

Chewbanshees avatar Chewbanshee Yeah You Are +2Reply
@1636792

Sex may not be everything but it can be important in a lot of relationships. I think it's cool that you can be abstinent with your partner, but for a lot of people, sex is that one personal thing that ties them together (this is not including people who throw sex around like a handshake).

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +14Reply
@1636792

I'm going to assume you haven't had it yet and are very young. Because thats the only reason why you would have typed that...

Chewbanshees avatar Chewbanshee Yeah You Are -2Reply
@1636800

You shouldn't be so certain about things you have not experienced

@1636846

In better terms:

Yes, you can have a relationship with someone for a very long time without having sex. It is POSSIBLE. Sex will not the be the thing that ~ties~ them together, but, depending on the people, there are many different outcomes. Some will feel frustrated that they can not participate with their partner in one of the most intimate things you can do with their lover. Sex is important in a relationship, but it doesn't tie it all in and won't always be the thing holding them together.
For example, in Strange Sex on the show TLC, there was this couple in which the man lost his penis, so they could no longer have intercourse. But they made it work. Doing different things (Strap-ons, dildos, etc) and they still manage to be together.

@1636846

It shouldn't. But sometimes it is.

No, I'm asexual sooo.... sex is one of the most unimportant things in a relationship to me. I know some people don't feel that way, but it still seems harsh when someone has a fatal disease with so much stigma to add "everyone breaks up with you" to that.

This post is good because it raised so many moral issues for me. Do you break up with them because of the disease? I'd feel bad about that. What about the sex? Do you want to commit yourself to someone who can't have sex ever or will die soon? Should that even be a factor in love?

So many questions.

Condoms. They exist for a reason.

@monstrosity Condoms. They exist for a reason.

That's what I was thinking. Wouldn't condoms work?

@mchalla3 DOUBLE CONDOM :D

I may be wrong, but I think the extra friction increases the chance of it breaking.

@mchalla3 DOUBLE CONDOM :D

I'm assuming this was a joke, but just in case, please dear God don't ever do that. It way ups the chance of them breaking or slipping.

I know this is horrible, and I've thought about it a lot, but probably yes. Unless I cared about them so much that I was willing to have a sexless relationship.

I feel like an arsehole for voting YYA, but I've had a lot of short meaningless relationships, so this wouldn't be much different, plus sex is kind of something I'd want with a partner, and I know too many people with HIV, I had two of them die in 2010, to risk having protected sex with a positive person.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are 0Reply
@Simon I know this is horrible, and I've thought about it a lot, but probably yes. Unless I cared about them so much that...

Not to mention having to fall deeply in love with a person and then have to watch them suffer or die. Sure, it sounds selfish, but it would be almost be best to break up with them before becoming too close to them.

@1636626

Yeah, same with PurpleCow - if they knew it before we had sex, that's actually a crime, and I'd break up with them.

If we'd had sex, then he found out he was pos, then I found out I was, I probably stay together.

Simons avatar Simon Yeah You Are +1Reply

This is one of those that really depends on the situation. How long did they wait? Are we in love? Did they tell me or did I find out they had been covering it up?

I kind of get the feeling from this that you've never been in love.

@I kind of get the feeling from this that you've never been in love.

I'm guessing you're taking this post way out of context. Obviously, how long you're with the person can impact your decision but over clarifying and being too specific can ruin posts.

I love how u say "probably" i would dump them so fast.