+133

In Hinduism, everything is composed of the supreme entity Brahman. All Hindu gods, then, are really just Brahman taking different forms. By the same token, Christianity says that each member of the Holy Trinity is God taking a different form. It is odd that one is considered polytheistic and the other monotheistic, amirite?

5 29

Christians- You know what's odd... the fact that we are eating Jesus.
Hindu's- you know whats odd... well a lot of things, but that is not the point.
Scientologists- you know whats odd... absolutely nothing

@Ebony_Way What's odd about Hinduism?

Nothing, if its your religion. And really there isn't anything more than most religions i guess. However, from an outsiders view the gods are very abstract and quite frankly bizarre. A multi-armed god is a bit different than a carpenter dying on a cross for all man kinds sins. Too many the whole idea of not eating cows is also odd, not wrong, just odd. Like i said both religions are weird, just in very different ways, and there is nothing wrong with the fact that they are so unusual, they just are.

@Qeez Nothing, if its your religion. And really there isn't anything more than most religions i guess. However, from an...

Yes I am Hindu. We don't eat cows because we believe that they are holy creatures. If the mother of a child dies, the milk of a cow can keep the child alive. We don't worship cows, but value them. Of course it may seem odd, but in my opinion, believing in an almighty/ all powerful/all-knowing invisible man in the sky is also quite odd.

It's different. I'm no expert on Hinduism, but from what I understand, it is more literal in Hinduism than in Christianity. I like to think of the trinity as one person playing three roles. Let's say there's someone named Lucy. Lucy is her mother's daughter, her sister's sister, and her friend's friend. But all three of those relationships are Lucy. So God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit all at the same time. From what I understand, Hindus believe their god is in the form of other gods but isn't 100% one god and 100% supreme god at the same time.

When I was in my confirmation classes and students had questions about it, the teacher explained the trinity as an apple: One apple made of 3 parts - skin, the 'meat' (I don't know what it's really called.) and the seeds. One God, three parts - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
When you compare to Hinduism like that, it makes me question it. Not my faith, just the whole monotheism/ polytheism thing.

@ThisBlackChick When I was in my confirmation classes and students had questions about it, the teacher explained the trinity as an...

The Brahman in Hinduism is like the universe, ever expanding and infinite. All the entities, a part of.the universe, are like matter - limited and finite. Although they are made of the Brahman, they can never combine to form the Brahman. In Hinduism, a dichotomy appears between Brahman and all the other enrires, holy or not. Such a dichotomy does not appear in the Christian concept of the holy Trinity, making Christianity a monotheistic religion.
Additionally, ike large quantities of matter nay accumulate at one point in space and time to form black hole, which governs and rules the galaxy around it. Somewhat smaller quantites of matter may make the stars (governing solar systems), planets and so forth. Similarly, entities with "larger quantities" of the Brahman are gods in their own right, making.Hinduism a polytheistic religion.

Christianity doesn't necessarily mean you believe in the trinity.

@Sahara9189495514 Christianity doesn't necessarily mean you believe in the trinity.

Just wondering, what branch of Christianity DOESN'T believe in the trinity?

@Sahara9189495514 Jehovah's witnesses.

Jehovah's witness is not Christianity, it's a cult

@Jehovah's witness is not Christianity, it's a cult

Not a cult, but not exactly the same as Christianity.

@Neighbor Not a cult, but not exactly the same as Christianity.

It is categorized as Christianity. I'm not a Jehovah's witness but my aunt and her family are. I agree with some of their views.

@Sahara9189495514 It is categorized as Christianity. I'm not a Jehovah's witness but my aunt and her family are. I agree with some of...

For simplicity's sake, they are. But those that look more closely at the beliefs would probably choose to not classify them as such unless they're talking about multiple religions.

Yeah, the Trinity is supposedly one God in three different persons.

with Christianity it's a lot more abstract/confusing. They can be considered three separate entities, but at the same time they're all the same thing. Also it changes meaning depending on what branch of Christianity

Not really true. I might be wrong but it doesn't seem like you've studied Hinduism in much depth. Only some Hindus believe that, millions don't acknowledge brahman at all and even those who do might believe in different ways like Saguna Brahman, or Nirguna Brahman, and maybe the concept of maya. Hinduism is so complex you can't really define it as polytheistic or monotheistic, it's also quite often kathenotheistic or monistic or stuff like that.

Christianity doesn't say that the Trinity is God taking three different forms. That's actually a heresy called Modalism. Christianity says that the Trinity is one God existing in three persons.

You would be surprised how much Christianity steals from earlier religions.

Jesus and Hercules are very similar in Mythology for example.

@Sex_With_A_Snail You would be surprised how much Christianity steals from earlier religions. Jesus and Hercules are very similar...

Oh i remember the part of the bible where Jesus had super strength, and wore a lions pelt, and killed his wife and children because Athena possessed him. And i remember when Hercules healed the blind. I kind of get what your saying their origins were similar, kind of. a god impregnating a women and all that jazz, but there were other heroes in Greek mythology who were of this descent. i mean don't get me wrong i believe all religion copied from other religions at one point or another.