+281

Modern day black people shouldn't complain about the slavery of people they've never met, amirite?

Sex_With_A_Snails avatar
7 53
The voters have decided that Sex_With_A_Snail is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.
@1645605

I think op is implying that black people shouldn't try to use the fact that there were black slaves to get white people to feel sympathy for modern day black people. For example, if a black person and a white person were both reaching for the same thing in a store, the black person should not say, "Your people enslaved my people" to get the white person to give them the thing.

@1645709

Well we obviously didn't buy them to just let them go, and we did steal some people, but a majority of the slaves we got we bought from other people. Not just a concept we came up with.

You mean the past slavery? Because anyone should complain about slavery of strangers going on today. There's an estimated 200 mil. slaves in the world right now.

@Nacklefoodle You mean the past slavery? Because anyone should complain about slavery of strangers going on today. There's an...

Exactly! Slavery is an atrocity and more people should be upset about it. We should all complain about it and write to our congressmen.

There's countless Whites that make Blacks seem baseless in connecting the era of anti-Black atrocities to current affairs, with the defense that anti-Black slavery was ages ago. What these Whites fail to realize is that the era of anti-Black atrocities continued well after the slavery days. While the abolishment of slavery took place in 1865, the era of anti-Black atrocities continued all the way into the 1970s. Slavery was just one of many different forms of anti-Black abuse Whites engaged in. A full-fledged African American Civil Rights Movement broke out all throughout the 1950s and 60s: this involved Blacks battling extreme racial injustices and cruelties that Whites were employing, such as Jim Crow Laws. Although The U.S. Civil Rights Movement established laws allowing racial equality, much of the White community didn't follow those laws throughout the 1970s; instead White families and businesses engaged in White flight as blacks were gradually getting more equal rights in the 1970s. In other words, Whites began separating themselves and the wealth of society from Blacks, keeping them poverty-stricken. (cont)

@There's countless Whites that make Blacks seem baseless in connecting the era of anti-Black atrocities to current...

Previous to this, the Black community was making little to no money as Whites engaged in slavery from the time blacks first got here in the 1500s to 1865 and then the legalized racial discrimination and cruelty from 1865 through the 1970s. Whites were discriminating against Blacks and denying them countless rights. Consequently, White Flight left Blacks with little to nothing. Here we are today with the majority of Blacks segregated into ghettoes, leading shabby lifestyles.

You also have to combine these past offenses with current offenses. According to FBI statistics, anti-black hate crimes and discrimination is at an all time high while the opposite is the case for whites. This doesn't help the ghettoized black community out of poverty any, where they were forced in. Current racism (especially in the job world) isn't being addressed because it's subtle causing people to think it's nonexistent in comparison to the blatant racism 35 years ago.
They have every right to complain about it because it's still affecting them.

@Previous to this, the Black community was making little to no money as Whites engaged in slavery from the time...

(mmmgirl):You're telling me that white people don't know about the civil rights movement? ono smilie

heethebobos avatar heethebobo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@heethebobo (mmmgirl):You're telling me that white people don't know about the civil rights movement?

No, that was just a connection point between point B and C which was connecting point B, 1865-1970 when black people made very little, and point C, where they separated themselves because they didn't want to seen as equal.

@No, that was just a connection point between point B and C which was connecting point B, 1865-1970 when black...

"What these Whites fail to realize is that the era of anti-Black atrocities continued well after the slavery days."
What whites? I know no one who doesn't know that.

heethebobos avatar heethebobo Yeah You Are +2Reply
@heethebobo "What these Whites fail to realize is that the era of anti-Black atrocities continued well after the slavery...

I screwed up on that, oh well I wrote it at midnight. Anyway, you're just trying to pick apart my little rant because you don't agree with it.

@heethebobo If I can find a problem with it, there first has to be a problem to find.

OK, sorry.
Anyways I forgot to include this in my argument for the people who say "my ancestors were slaves too". (You don't have to read this).
Roman Slaves:
Slaves were clothed and fed well, often better than poor free Romans
“Some” slave owners forced their female slaves into prostitution to earn more money
When slaves had children, they were often thought to be treated better than their parents because the Masters saw them grow up and “Had a soft spot” for them
“Some” slave owners turned some of their slaves into “Gladiators” and forced them to fight wild animals in an arena for the amusement of the masses
“Some slave masters showed their loyalty and how much they cared for their slaves by giving nearly complete charge of their money and business affairs to the slaves without interfering.”
Saturnalia-A traditional celebration like Christmas in which slaves and masters switched places. In this celebration, the master became the slave and performed all the tasks of the slave, and the slaves did the opposite.

@OK, sorry. Anyways I forgot to include this in my argument for the people who say "my ancestors were slaves too"...

Greek Slaves:

If a slave talked back they could be whipped or arrested
Slaves were thought of as property, not human
They could not use their own names, were assigned names by their master
There were three ways a Greek slave could “Escape” slavery
The Government could free them
Their Master could free them
Eranoi-A club that LENT MONEY TO SLAVES to buy their freedom.

Jewish Slaves:
In the early stage, it was perfectly acceptable to rape a female slave
If a child was conceived between a master and a female slave, the child would be accepted into the master’s home and raised as his own
Later, sex with a slave was illegal and if you were caught, you were publicly flogged and temporarily excommunicated
The law stated that Jewish slaves were to be treated better than non-Jewish slaves. This was not always practiced but it was the law.
Because of this law, Jewish slaves were supposed to be granted similar food, drink, lodging and bedding as their masters
During the Talmudic Era, a Jewish slave was set free after seven years of service.

I don't really think any of these can be considered equal to the American slave system.

PEACE AND BLESSINGS YA'LL.

Why shouldn't black people complain about slavery? All people should complain about slavery. Slavery is atrocious and disgusting. If we complain about it enough, maybe people will stop ignoring it and join the fight against human trafficking. People should be upset about slavery. They should be furious! It's horrible that slavery is still prevalent in 2012 in nearly every country. Slavery is not a historical problem. It's a modern problem too. There are actually more slaves today than there were at any other point in history!
/end rant

@fEMMAnist Why shouldn't black people complain about slavery? All people should complain about slavery. Slavery is atrocious...

I agree that slavery is bad, but using the slavery of people you have never met to earn sympathy from other is stupid.

It's not about earning sympathy. It is about changing the current social structures that were created as a effect of, first slavery, then the racial discrimination that took place until the 70's. If it had not been for slavery in the first place, Blacks would not be as marginalized in society as they are now. They are not asking for reparations, they just want change. Fair change, progress. Slavery has left some nasty traces in the American society, and it is time that there be a solution to "balance" things. And such balance requires special attention (not special treatment) to those who are STILL being oppressed, in an attempt to "erase" the wrong that was created by the horrible practice that was slavery (and racial discrimination).

Just so everyone knows, african pirates enslaved white europeans before white people enslaved them.

Sonofarifles avatar Sonofarifle Yeah You Are +5Reply
@Sonofarifle Just so everyone knows, african pirates enslaved white europeans before white people enslaved them.

And the Ottoman Empire would enslave Caucasian people. So White people have also experienced slavery in our past, where's our month?

Also, Europeans got black slaves from black kingdoms in east Africa that raided the interior of the continent.
So in 3 year old terms: "Well you started it!"

MartellusBosss avatar MartellusBoss Yeah You Are +3Reply

I've seen the post on here time and time again, just slightly reworded. Thing is I've never ever heard of a person of African descent ever do this, at least not in a serious matter.

I think all of this is really a "Don't blame the son for the fathers crime" type thing, and I agree with that.

UnknownUser001s avatar UnknownUser001 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Well, my parents come from Africa (Ethiopia to be precise) originally and has been there for as long as recorded. There isn't a single record of slavery in my family tree, but I still feel sorry for those who were enslaved as should every one of every race. There's probably some kind of slavery that has happened in every race...

@Well, my parents come from Africa (Ethiopia to be precise) originally and has been there for as long as recorded...

Ethiopia is one of the only African countries that hasn't been controlled by European nations at one point in time, primarily because they were Christian prior to European arrival.

FYI, broseph, I have a few family members still alive from the days of slavery, and I have met them, and I have seen and touched the welts on their back from being whipped. I have also seen the children that came from my family members being raped by their masters. You don't know what people have seen, so who are you to claim the people need to stop talking about it?

@Tweetbaby14 FYI, broseph, I have a few family members still alive from the days of slavery, and I have met them, and I have...

I don't think the OP is implying people should stop talking about it. It should be discussed and taught, but not used for personal gain. I.e., no-one should use something that happened to other people (such as their ancestors) as an excuse to get special treatment or sympathy.

Similarly, people should not be blamed for the crimes of their ancestors.

For example, I'm sure you don't hold white people you meet responsible for what their ancestors may have done to your ancestors, since neither they or you personally were involved in the issue.

By "days of slavery" do you mean days when slavery was legal? If so, what country to you live in and how old are you? I didn't realize there were ex-legal slaves that were alive in such recent memory but I guess it's possible considering slavery is probably still legal even today in a few places.

@fEMMAnist By "days of slavery" do you mean days when slavery was legal? If so, what country to you live in and how old are...

I live in the US, and my age isn't relevant to the topic. She died a few years ago, but my grandfather's aunt was a slave.

@Tweetbaby14 I live in the US, and my age isn't relevant to the topic. She died a few years ago, but my grandfather's aunt was a...

Your age is very relevent because if you are less than 40 and talking about relatives who were a victim of American slavery, your claim is impossible.

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +3Reply

A few years ago? If she was an American slave then she would have died at 150 years old or so.

Suzywaos avatar Suzywao Yeah You Are +2Reply

Ay, Twitchy. My post was deleted. I think I'm at that 10.

@Astronaut_Will Ay, Twitchy. My post was deleted. I think I'm at that 10.

If you're are a ten then you wouldn't be able to move.

Once I got to a ten from some synthetic Marijuana, it was some scary shit. I laid in bed feeling the inside of my head work for a few hours.

Take those bong rips man, just keep smoking bowls until you can't smoke no more.

The only time a person can "complain" about something is when he or she is/was the victim or has met the victim(s), is that what you're saying?
If so, then...

Modern day Jews shouldn't "complain" about The Holocaust because they never met the victims?

We shouldn't "complain" about all the innocent lives lost in 9/11, Pearl Harbor, and the OKC bombing, because we weren't the ones in those attacks, nor do a lot of us actually know people who were?

We shouldn't "complain" about rapes, kidnappings, burglaries, murders, etc, unless of course we personally know the victim(s).

I'm sorry, but I disagree with your post, and I feel like simply pressing the down arrow on this one would not be enough. I am not going to say anything else after this comment, because I don't want to get into an argument with anyone. It will be really futile, and neither of us will win.

@The only time a person can "complain" about something is when he or she is/was the victim or has met the victim(s)...

I'm implying that using the slavery or mass murder of your people for sympathy is stupid.

I'm sure in every family ancestry, we've had to suffer through something tragic and not fair. I know mine have yet you don't see me complaining about it. I'm not going to bring up something that I never experienced just so I can get my way. It's pathetic.

@1645664

Wow, the degree of how racist your comment is amazes me.

If I were you, I would have posted this anon too. It shows you at least have some shame.

@1645664

Says the person that's probably a walking advertisement in their Aeropostale, Holister, or A&F crap, right?

@1645664

Or the quality of their chicken from KFC.

@Sex_With_A_Snail Or the quality of their chicken from KFC.

Real black people don't eat KFC, only the rejected ones do. Real black people eat Popeyes or Churches.

Just saying though.

@Just be quiet. "Real black people" wtf

In case you have forgotten, this is the Internet. Not every comment will be a serious one. this was one of those non-serious comments I just mentioned.