+469

Imagine if every time anyone made some kind of decision, like what route to take to school, the universe split into different dimensions. One with one route that s/he took, then a bunch of others based on other possible routes. There was a split for each and every little decision made by each person in the world, and there are infinite dimensions in existence now. There could be one where nazism rules, one where we are all just tribes of simple people, and many more, amirite?

swimlaxs avatar
44 66
The voters have decided that swimlax is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

This is already a theory. A very popular theory might I add.

@Astronaut_Will This is already a theory. A very popular theory might I add.

....Really? Here I was thinking I had come up with something...my bad lol

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Yeah You Are +16Reply
@swimlax ....Really? Here I was thinking I had come up with something...my bad lol

I think it's called the multiverse theory, but I could be wrong.

AdonisBatheuss avatar AdonisBatheus Yeah You Are +6Reply
@AdonisBatheus I think it's called the multiverse theory, but I could be wrong.

You're right. It can also be called the multiple universe theory

The multiverse is a very common theory, but the fact that you thought of it shows a lot of deep analytic and creative thinking. Congrats

One where Jeff loses an arm and Abed becomes evil.

@Statefarm One where Jeff loses an arm and Abed becomes evil.

we are the evil study group and we have but one evil goal.

Sheldon: Penny, while I subscribe to the many worlds theory which posits the existence of an infinite number of Sheldons in an infinite number of universes, I assure you that in none of them am I dancing.

Penny: Are you fun in any of them?

Sheldon: The math would suggest that in a few I’m a clown made of candy. But I don’t dance.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are +36Reply
@1846259

i really dislike your negative feelings

GryndStones avatar GryndStone Yeah You Are +2Reply

One where there are only three people alive, one where the world was destroyed by a nuclear war, one where communism rules, or just one where you are more muscular or simply just aren't hungry right now (sorry character limit)

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Yeah You Are +31Reply
@Blucatt What's communism?

It's where economics are ruled by the government. So basically, instead of nike, reebok and adidas competing for people's business, there would be one government-run(funded by tax money) corporation that everyone in that industry works for and everyone who wants shoes would buy from. At least that's how I understand it. I'm more math-oriented than social studies.

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Yeah You Are +2Reply
@swimlax It's where economics are ruled by the government. So basically, instead of nike, reebok and adidas competing for...

I'm just going to clarify something: Communism is not necessarily where everything is controlled by a corporation, which might suggest you're talking about a monopoly, but rather where the workers control the means of production. This is, at least, the generally accepted definition of communism.

MusicIsAGifts avatar MusicIsAGift Yeah You Are +9Reply
@Blucatt What's communism?

I implore you to kill yourself

@I implore you to kill yourself

I implore you to go fuck a cow.

@I implore you to go fuck a cow.

Just downvote and move on, he'll only want to keep going.

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Yeah You Are 0Reply

the butterfly effect.

cremep0pss avatar cremep0ps Yeah You Are +22Reply

THAT MEANS THERE'S A DIMENSION WHERE I'M FUCKING EMMA WATSON!

@Spalliston DRESSED AS BATMAN! WHILE SKYDIVING!

no no no you're thinking about this the wrong way.
THERE'S A DIMENSION WHERE WE'VE EVOLVED INTO CATS AND THE ONLY THING WE DO ALL DAY IS HUNT MICE AND SIT IN BOXES.

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are 0Reply

You could take it further. A new universe could be formed when a single particle moves to this spot, instead of that spot. That could affect another particle, which would affect more particles, forming some sizeable outcome, like you moving a centimetre to the left and effectively dodging that bullet, becoming king of the world then bathing the planet in nuclear war.

Butterfly effect all up the wazoo!

smattafus avatar smattafu Yeah You Are +11Reply
@smattafu You could take it further. A new universe could be formed when a single particle moves to this spot, instead of...

I don't know, inanimate objects can't really make decisions e.e. However they act would already be governed by whatever variables affect it. I heard somewhere that there was this rock-paper-scissors machine that learn from battling with real humans and that it will win a lot of the time through predicting your moves. They say that our decisions are never really completely arbitrary, and that there's pattern to our thoughts, however much we try avoid it.

I immediately thought of Doctor Who..

Weeping_Angels avatar Weeping_Angel Yeah You Are +7Reply

But this isn't an amirite post.. It's not even phrased as a question. What am I answering, "yes that is certainly an idea" or "nope I refuse to imagine that"?

@swimlax "there could be...amirite?"

But that's just elaborating. "Imagine a world. In that world could be unicorns, amirite?"

I can't just answer "YYA you're totally right, there could be unicorns y smilie"

The format is weird hmm smilie

@Nacklefoodle But that's just elaborating. "Imagine a world. In that world could be unicorns, amirite?" I can't just answer "YYA...

I agree. I actually remember making the post and thinking the same thing so I just finished it the best I could.

swimlaxs avatar swimlax Yeah You Are -1Reply

Yeah, this is the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics. Basically every time something makes a choice, both happen, creating two different universes (not dimensions).

If an electron can be in 2 places at once, who knows? Maybe we can too.

@MissAwesomeness http://ctrlv.in/121873

Hey! That video was awesome.

A lot of people are confused about the going back in time thing. Technically, you can go back in the fourth dimension, but you'll hit everything that existed at the place you're standing. It's just safer to go through the fifth dimension, only through the timelines in which nothing existed there, then moving back to the timeline you were originally.

B10ckH34ds avatar B10ckH34d Yeah You Are 0Reply
@TalkingRice Explain the dimensions to me blockhead? Thanksx

I'm assuming you understand the first 3 because they're readily observable in our 4D universe. the 4th dimension is time, which is just change. The '1st dimension' actually has 2 dimension, counting time. It just so happens that when we have 3 spatial dimensions, the 4th is time. If we lived in the 4th dimension, we would see the time snake thing in the video as going in a new direction which we can't imagine, the same way we can't imagine a new colour. It wonm't even be a real single direction, as each incarnation of the object will be in its spatial position at every moment in time. The snake would change as decisions other than the most likely are made. Time would still exist in its current form (we can't see the definite future) but it would encompass another dimension. In the 6th dimension, we would see a many-headed snake showing all the different possibilities of the future of that person or object.

Even in the 4th dimension, the snake would still have many heads (microscopically) as the atoms and molecules and cells break off. Seeing the 6th dimension (being in the 7th) would be seeing all of infinity of our universe. 7 and 8 are pretty much the same, because there's

no difference between one more universe and two more universes (they're not different dimensions, but the video want to show a cycle of points, lines and splits.). The 9th and 10th are also the same as the 8th, because these universes are no longer joined by a temporal dimension. However, we can travel through the 7th, 8th and 9th dimensions through teleportation by going to the dimension above. THat is the only difference.

@

I actually watched the video, very intriguing. Cleared up a lot of confusion I had about the different dimensions

MissAwesomenesss avatar MissAwesomeness Yeah You Are +1Reply
@

part 2, for the lazy

ARandomPersons avatar ARandomPerson Yeah You Are +1Reply

I watched a documentary on The Science Channel about this.

Fringe!

Tribunes avatar Tribune Yeah You Are +2Reply

Watch the movie Mr. Nobody. It's basically this entire theory. One in which I strongly believe in. And the movie is fucking mind-blowing, although extremely confusing at parts. Plus it stars Jared Leto and he is beautiful.

It's called Multiverse Theory

I thought this was a Doctor Who post from "Turn Left". Turns out it was a lot more complicated than that.

I can't help but wonder if this is could have something to do with our imaginations.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +1Reply

I'm not sure. At the moment of the big bang, it would be impossible to have my school janitor pop up and scream howdy. And if that universe isn't possible then probably, so are others. In chess, there are many possible outcomes, even the weirdest of which are possible as long as the two players have the will to execute the necessary moves. There are definitely numerous possibilities but not everything can be done because some outcomes would require us to break the rules. But that's just my opinion >.>
And this isn't a response to the post.

@I'm not sure. At the moment of the big bang, it would be impossible to have my school janitor pop up and scream...

It could be possible. The rules don't apply in other universes. That's the whole thing about the multiverse theory. It's cray cray

@Brettward95 It could be possible. The rules don't apply in other universes. That's the whole thing about the multiverse theory...

I thought the point of this was that the other universes are just different versions of our own. Ergo, all the rules that govern ours also applies to theirs.

@I thought the point of this was that the other universes are just different versions of our own. Ergo, all the...

In OP's theory it is, but not in the actual multiverse theory. In the multiverse theory there is an infinite number of universes and an infinite number of variations.

@Brettward95 In OP's theory it is, but not in the actual multiverse theory. In the multiverse theory there is an infinite number...

I don't understand e.e. How can they theorize the existence of parallel universes that use different laws. I can't imagine any evidence of that. At least for the theory this post describes, there is the double slit experiment wherein scientists couldn't tell or predict which paths electrons took until they observed the outcome. Therefore they conclude that the other possible paths the electrons take actually execute in parallel universes, rather than ceasing to exist.

@I don't understand e.e. How can they theorize the existence of parallel universes that use different laws. I can't...

idk nigga look at this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse

I haven't read too much on it, but I probably should considering a friend and I have made a logical hypothesis to a theory that could support it.

@1847131

I don't like this...

Isn't this similar to the theory that uses a cat in the box as an example? It's what it reminds me of.

@mirandaamirite Isn't this similar to the theory that uses a cat in the box as an example? It's what it reminds me of.

Schhrodinger's Cat is similar, but that idea says that the cat is both alive and dead at the same time until a human observes it. Because we don't know, it could be and is either one. Upon observation, it becomes just one or the other.

@swimlax Schhrodinger's Cat is similar, but that idea says that the cat is both alive and dead at the same time until a...

Technically it is because the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics came about as a response to the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment.

That is true though.. Not just a theory right? Every choice we make affects our life forever, and others sometimes as well.

Pugs avatar Pug Yeah You Are -11Reply
@Pug That is true though.. Not just a theory right? Every choice we make affects our life forever, and others sometimes...

I think you misinterpreted it. He is saying that what if every decision every living thing makes (well, he said humans, but I think it makes more sense as every living thing) results in another dimension being created.