+353

The government (America, Canada, European countries...) is NOT a theocracy, therefore religion should not be a valid argument for why gays should not be allowed to marry, amirite?

somepeoples avatar
26 18
The voters have decided that somepeople is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Telling someone that their marriage is wrong because it's against your religion is like getting mad at someone for eating a donut because you're on a diet.

I still can't get over Rick Santorum saying JFK's statement about separation of church and state made him "want to vomit".

That guy will never stop pissing me off.

monstrositys avatar monstrosity Yeah You Are +16Reply
@1651174

People just need to realize we all think about things differently, and other ways are not necessarily wrong, but just that, different.

somepeoples avatar somepeople Yeah You Are +6Reply
@1651174

(In a America at least) This country was was founded on liberty and freedom yes, but also go look at a coin. If you can read you might see "In God We Trust". Contrary to what you smartass atheist/agnostic punks think; this country was founded on a firm belief in God.

I absolutely hate that whole "this country was founded because of religion!" argument.

StickCavemans avatar StickCaveman Yeah You Are +15Reply
@StickCaveman I absolutely hate that whole "this country was founded because of religion!" argument.

and how (I'm assuming you're American) the presidential campaigns all incorporate God into a factor.

like Rick Perry's "faith" video.

even when Osama was killed, Obama said "God bless America" and etc.
It seems to imply that God IS a factor in the US government.

Especially since it was founded so that people could be free from control from other people's religion.

rilaras avatar rilara Yeah You Are 0Reply

I'm curious why you specifically mentioned America, Canada and Europe? Most African and Asian countries aren't theocracies either. Same goes for Australasian countries...

@I'm curious why you specifically mentioned America, Canada and Europe? Most African and Asian countries aren't...

I know a lot of countries aren't theocracies, but I just didn't think gay marriage was as central of an issue in other countries as it is in America, Canada, and Europe. Thats why I only included those by name.

somepeoples avatar somepeople Yeah You Are +1Reply

I think religion of the state and religion of the church should be two defininite different things. Then let the churches decide for themselves what they allow in marriage.

fangirl12s avatar fangirl12 Yeah You Are +1Reply

I do not think I fully understand this issue. Can someone explain to me what gay couples are looking for in marriage aside from legal benefits. Also, I would appreciate if you wouldn't berate me, as I am only trying to understand a different perspective.

@I do not think I fully understand this issue. Can someone explain to me what gay couples are looking for in...

Saying gay couples can have the rights of marriage without calling it a marriage suggests that gay couples are somehow different and inferior; it's kind of like saying we don't deserve to get married. Not only is that insulting to me, it's insulting to all gay relationships. I don't want to undermine anyone elses relationship, yet people constantly undermine mine. All I want is for my relationship to be seen as equal because if you ignore the gender of the people involved, you can see that it really is equal. I love my girlfriend and she loves me. Our relationship deserves the same respect as everyone elses. That's why //I //want a marriage.

@pikabeau Saying gay couples can have the rights of marriage without calling it a marriage suggests that gay couples are...

California recently denied the original 52% vote of gay marriage being illegael because (to summarize) it proved no purpose other than to degrade/discriminate that relationship.

Actually, it's the other way around. Marriage is primarily a religious ceremony.

@Actually, it's the other way around. Marriage is primarily a religious ceremony.

If all you get is the religious ceremony, you are not legally married.

That's why those countries should become theocracies, to impose it