+249

It's stupid to criticize people who post about Kony 2012 because they saw the video. The point of the video was to raise awareness. The important thing is that we all work together to stop this injustice being done in Africa, not deciding who's the biggest activist hipster. amirite?

hattrick36s avatar
11 29
The voters have decided that hattrick36 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

I'll agree that invisible children is sketchy. And I'll also agree that it's sad how many people were just ignoring it until this fad came about. But honestly, the greatest thing about this whole KONY2012 thing is this - PEOPLE ARE NOTICING.

People all around the world, not just in the U.S. are becoming more aware of who Joseph Kony is, and what he does. And if we are actually able to have the word Kony thrown around like Karadshian, think of what else social media can do. I know, it sounds cliche. But the more this spreads, I kind of feel proud of technology.

GryndStones avatar GryndStone Yeah You Are +5Reply

There's no point in raising awareness unless you actually do something, like raise money. People can be aware, but in the end that means nothing, and actually it's worse, because you know about it, but the only thing you're willing to do is repost a video.

@There's no point in raising awareness unless you actually do something, like raise money. People can be aware, but...

Invisible Children Inc. offers these kits with bracelets, flyers, posters, bumper stickers, etc; in exchange for donations or $30. I tried to order one, but they are in so high demand that Invisible Children Inc. has had to temporarily stop taking orders. So, I guess they are raising awareness and money, so that's good.

hattrick36s avatar hattrick36 Yeah You Are 0Reply

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, please watch.

hattrick36s avatar hattrick36 Yeah You Are +1Reply

We criticize them because:

@We criticize them because:

I know, and while that is hilarious, I think the actual message is more important than who knew about it before who.

hattrick36s avatar hattrick36 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@hattrick36 I know, and while that is hilarious, I think the actual message is more important than who knew about it before who.

It's just bewildering why people are starting to care now. It's not like we haven't known about Africa's problems for all of our lives. The fact that a fad video has been able to start this trend suggests that people's interest in this topic will fade to nothing just as quickly.

@It's just bewildering why people are starting to care now. It's not like we haven't known about Africa's problems...

While usually a cynic myself, This time I hope that history will look back on Kony 2012 as a high point for humanity as a whole.

Yeah, only you plan to do it through military violence. Some bi-partisan pro-war sentiment in our youth is EXACTLY what this country needs right now.

For those of us who can't wait for a 30 minute video to load, what is this Kony thing about?

@silvershadow6 For those of us who can't wait for a 30 minute video to load, what is this Kony thing about?

There is a terrible man in Africa, Kony, who has kidnapped over 30,000 children an forced them to become killers in his army of children. The video is about raising awareness so the US will stop him an save the invisible children in a fight against war and inhumanity. I would recommend watching it because words can do this video no justice.

@hattrick36 There is a terrible man in Africa, Kony, who has kidnapped over 30,000 children an forced them to become killers in...

Why does everybody always want the US to jump in and solve their problems.
We can't even solve our own problems.

@Why does everybody always want the US to jump in and solve their problems. We can't even solve our own problems.

That's the problem I have with this. The U.S. has a shitload that we have to deal with. We can't and shouldn't be the police of the world.

I think it's just the fact that the man that made the video is from the US so he thinks they should help.

The US has already sent people over there to try and stop him. It resulted in them mass murdering in retaliation. There are still people over their trying to work with their government to stop him. It's not easy trying to find a single person.

Only 20% of them have ever been forced to kill another person. The majority of them were just forced to carry stuff that the LRA looted.

@Treldman Only 20% of them have ever been forced to kill another person. The majority of them were just forced to carry stuff...

That doesn't justify anything. Those are still children being ripped from their homes, families, and lives.

@hattrick36 That doesn't justify anything. Those are still children being ripped from their homes, families, and lives.

Man, I didn't realize that I was trying to justify anything by giving you a bit of information. Thanks a lot!

Well, considering a large part of the video was about spreading it through social-networking, it makes sense. To realize that, all it takes is COMMON sense.

My god! I dOnt understand what is so bad about spreading awareness! Jeez!

I really wish everyone would realise that the point of that video was to show how influential the internet is. At the start of the film it says "the next 27 minutes are going to be an experiment"

I despise the Kony Movement. The video is skewed and inaccurate. The organization who made the video does very little to even help the people. I agree with the fact that Kony needs to be brought to justice but 'Kony 2012' is ineffective.
This article provides more facts and information on the organization and Kony.
http://psychotropicpolitics.tum...st/18901379053

@Clay_ I despise the Kony Movement. The video is skewed and inaccurate. The organization who made the video does very...

Much of that article is extremely one-sided. The video gave much factual information. It also made it a point to explain that although the LRA is no longer based in Uganda, there are children soldiers that have been left behind, which could easily provide information to the small number of US advisors (note: advisors, not grenadiers or artillery experts). That article makes it seem as though the US is sending thousands of troops ready to fight to a place where there has been no violence. Of course, the only US interference so far has been with advisors - they provide technological and strategic assistance. The fact that the aforementioned article is full of snarky and facetious comments seems to suggest, on a subconscious level, that the author is probably biased against the Stop Kony Campaign.

The timing of the video wasn't deliberate in considering US elections. The footage presented had been collected over the years, and the finished product (including more specific campaign information) only came about as of recent. It's not as though those in charge of the campaign were intentionally holding the video back until a certain time. (continued)

@Monopolygamy Much of that article is extremely one-sided. The video gave much factual information. It also made it a point to...

That article has no sources (from what I can tell, of course - correct me if I'm wrong) and it suggests that the creator of the video has no prior knowledge of Ugandan history. Jason Russell went to Uganda at first for personal purposes - photography, simply the joy of traveling, etc.

There will always be critics of nearly everything in the world, but they're not always right. I actually was rather skeptical of the campaign at first.

You are correct, the video does give some factual information. My wording probably wasn't the best. I also watched a news segment today about how the Kony 2012 Campaign is more for awareness, which in turn will extend the US involvement until Kony is caught, since our current policy is to only stay until the end of 2012.
The link I posted is very opinionated so I won't argue about that one. I myself didn't agree with everything posted in there.
The author is biased against the Stop Kony Campaign. That's why I posted it, because it shares others view on the campaign. It find it interesting how opinions can hugely vary among people. Did you read the part about how the author visited Gulu, Uganda and said the locals felt that they weren't benefiting from Invisible Children, and felt that more offense than relief? I found that interesting. Also, I'm sure the author wasn't aware about the timing of the video and that is was made over several years.

I guess my main point, which wasn't conveyed very well, is that I don't support Invisible Children and would much rather support a charity who does more to help than exploit the affected.

@Clay_ You are correct, the video does give some factual information. My wording probably wasn't the best. I also watched...

I indeed did read that part, it startled me quite a bit. After putting it in context it's more logical but still unusual. I know where you're coming from.